20GB PS3 $349 @ GS (if you can find one) YMMV (added locator link)

dallow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Anythony1 over at the AVS forums made a few calls to various Gamecrazy and Gamestop stores.

Gamecrazy
Used 20GB - $339.99
Used 60GB - $439.99

Gamestop
Used 20GB - $369.99
Used 60GB - $449.99 (thanks movieman2742)

NEW
New 20GB - $449.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=020071&affID=77777&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-bdR2CsfXYehCxfgY3pAAQw

Good deal if you need a cheap one.
20GB PS3s aren't gimped, I have one and love it.
Plus, they have the EE for full PS2 BC.

EDIT:
Gamestop product locator! (thanks to everyone who contributed to this)

Used 20GB

www . gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=100&sku=909111&zip=XXXXX&product_name=20GB+PS3+%2D+Used&platforms=PS3&sbox%20 =160726a%2Ejpg&status=BO&bn=False

New 20GB

www . gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=200&sku=020071&zip=37421&pr oduct_name=Sony+PlayStation+3+20+Gig&platforms=PS3 &sbox=020071a.jpg&status=A&bn=False

remove the spaces at the beginning and , and replace the XXXXX with your ZIP CODE

[quote name='test24']Mine had 2 in stock, both looked like they'd been through hell and back. I wish they'd been in better condition...but I guess I should just get a 60GB and like it![/quote]

That was the problem I had with one at the GS near me, it looked nasty, and had like goob of some sort on it. I could probably find cleaner ones over at CL.

Hell yeah:bouncy: . Thanks OP just found a 20 GB at GS in oregon and no tax..haha i live 20 mi out in ID...oops:whistle2:# ..I mean I am a proud Oregon resident Mr. Taxman.;)

[quote name='Wolf359']So does the Edge card give a discount on the used systems too? Thought it was just games.[/quote]
No, it does not give a discount on used systems. Sorry if my post confused you. I got 10% extra on the trade-in games. Plus I bought a used game and I got 10% off of that.

[quote name='test24']Mine had 2 in stock, both looked like they'd been through hell and back. I wish they'd been in better condition...but I guess I should just get a 60GB and like it![/QUOTE]

Same situation. i found a 20g but the case was cracked. Ebgames said box was smashed when received. Maybe they need to learn how to pack a $369.99 system.

Im going to get one tommorow...fuck X360, motherfuckers need to learn to make a stable product. 4-6 weeks in maintnence! WTF! Jesus...selling the piece of shit Xbox and getting PS3.

[quote name='kelpie182']Same situation. i found a 20g but the case was cracked. Ebgames said box was smashed when received. Maybe they need to learn how to pack a $369.99 system.[/quote]

Mine came in a cardboard box too wrapped in buble wrap and it could not look better! I am so glad I took advantage of this deal :bouncy:

so basically 3 things you lose with the 20gb version...40gb of space, wifi, and memory slot reader...am i correct? to me it sounds like things you dont need and its basically like a 360 (as far as wireless, space, etc)...i think its a good deal, might try to find one tomorrow!

After evaluating it for a bit. Buying a new ps3 is a better deal. its almost 400 with tax at gamestop/EB for a USED system. No warranty, No wireless. The price of a bridge, warranty and the extra 40 gig make it worth the extra $100.

Just got my 20gb from a local Gamestop, thanks for the headsup OP. Oh and if you have a laptop with a wireless card you can connect your PS3 to it via Ethernet and use your laptop as a bridge to save you money. Thats what I did, that way you don't have to drop $50+ to buy a wireless bridge for your ps3:D

^does that really work? ive never heard of it...

connect laptop with built in wireless to router...ethernet cable between ps3 and laptop...your ps3 then has wireless capabilities?

[quote name='guitarguy']^does that really work? ive never heard of it...

connect laptop with built in wireless to router...ethernet cable between ps3 and laptop...your ps3 then has wireless capabilities?[/QUOTE]

Look up Internet Connection Sharing. I believe that's what he's referring to.

yeah it really works. I think it should work with most pc's or mac (I am doing it on mac). I can pull up a website you that goes through the steps once I get home, I am at work right now. It is fairly straight forward though, and manually input some ip addresses and what not:bouncy:

You can plug in most USB readers and hard drives, as I understand it, so the internal memory card reader isn't a nessesity. (Though I think there should have been ONE SKU, exactly the same as the 20GB model, except with 1 Memory Stick port, and 1 PS2/PS1 memory card port.

Would anyone get the warranty? I purchased a 20 GB with the EB warranty, but AFTER, they had told me they are unsure what will happen if something goes wrong since they cant swap it out with a new one. I was informed, I'd get the remainder in store credit, or I would have to pay the difference for the upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on if I should take return the warranty if possible, or the whole system all together?

[quote name='hermosaguy']Would anyone get the warranty? I purchased a 20 GB with the EB warranty, but AFTER, they had told me they are unsure what will happen if something goes wrong since they cant swap it out with a new one. I was informed, I'd get the remainder in store credit, or I would have to pay the difference for the upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on if I should take return the warranty if possible, or the whole system all together?[/quote]

I didn't get the warranty. I don't think there are many problems with the PS3 besides over heating. Just make sure you leave it out so it has enough air.

So I'm about to join the 20gb PS3 club not via GS but through a fellow CAG. How should I break the news to the fiancee that we have a new child? I'm tempted to put it in the exact same spot as my fat PS2 and hope she doesn't notice the slightly bigger, shinier system sitting there.

[quote name='chodax']Awesome!!

Just picked up a 20 gb PS3 from gamestop for 398 with tax. I don't get the free blurays though but o well.[/QUOTE]

My new 60 gb was $430 with tax at CC (after $40 off coupon and return of "free" controller $410 before tax) and I'll get the 5 free BRs.

[quote name='chodax']I didn't get the warranty. I don't think there are many problems with the PS3 besides over heating. Just make sure you leave it out so it has enough air.[/quote]

Wow...this thing gets HOT. Now I think I need to go purchase one of those fans...my 360 would get hot, but not like this. I am now thinking I will stay with the 1 year warranty from EB, even though its a ripoff...

You don't need built-in WiFi. In fact you're better off using an Ethernet bridge.

I hope they take off Wifi in a future model (maybe they'll really hit that rumored $400 price point-remove the extraneous Wifi, large hard drive, and unfortunately the PS2-on-a-chip is gone).

[quote name='punkyngo']can someone verify factory warranty on these used 20gb ps3? I know gamestop offers only 30 days but what baout factory warranty[/quote]

I asked, There is no factory warranty anymore pretty much. Maybe like 2 months. Idk what the original factory sony warranty was. 1 year?? I asked and gamestop/EB said it doesn't transfer, the manufacturer warranty for some stupid reason...

[quote name='schultzed']I don't know why anyone would want to get one of these used ones. Save your store credit for games.[/quote]

$369.99 vs. $499.99

That's over $100.00 saved if you go the used 20 GB PS3 route at EB / GS. It seems pretty clear to me that people are buying these used ones to save money. Plus there's the fact that all 20 GB PS3s contain the Emotion Engine, which will soon become extinct.

Granted, the systems do not come with a 1-year warranty, but the consumer has a full 30 days to stress test the machine. If it works well in that time period, it is safe to assume it will not shit out on them for quite a while.

[quote name='Swift900']$369.99 vs. $499.99

That's over $100.00 saved if you go the used 20 GB PS3 route at EB / GS. It seems pretty clear to me that people are buying these used ones to save money. Plus there's the fact that all 20 GB PS3s contain the Emotion Engine, which will soon become extinct.

Granted, the systems do not come with a 1-year warranty, but the consumer has a full 30 days to stress test the machine. If it works well in that time period, it is safe to assume it will not shit out on them for quite a while.[/quote] thats the reason i bought one. I only paid 108 after trade in. it was a great deal for me.

[quote name='Swift900']$369.99 vs. $499.99

Granted, the systems do not come with a 1-year warranty, but the consumer has a full 30 days to stress test the machine. If it works well in that time period, it is safe to assume it will not shit out on them for quite a while.[/QUOTE]

Actually it was $369.99 vs. $410.00 (last week via Circuit City deals) to have a new 60 GB unit with wifi and 5 free Blu-Ray discs via mail.

I guess if one has a bunch of cheap credit . . . but you could use it to get other stuff--new games this fall for instance.

Same Here if you guys have gamecrazy around your area I would call them I got lucky and got one on Sunday .....and at Gamecrazy it is 339.99 for the 20gb and it has a 90 day warranty through them...

[quote name='schultzed']Actually it was $369.99 vs. $410.00 (last week via Circuit City deals) to have a new 60 GB unit with wifi and 5 free Blu-Ray discs via mail.

I guess if one has a bunch of cheap credit . . . but you could use it to get other stuff--new games this fall for instance.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that deal last week was for a $499.99 60 GB PS3 w/ a free SIXAXIS controller. In order to knock it down to $410 the customer would had to have used the $40 off $200 coupon, which is not good towards the purchase of video game consoles, and returned the bundled SIXAXIS controller, which may be difficult seeing as to how it is a promotional item.

Filling out the rebate for 5 free Blu Ray discs may knock the price of the PS3 down even further if the customer decides to sell them via eBay, etc.

While I will agree CC's deal last week is better than buying a used 20 GB from EB, there is a lot of work / luck involved in knocking the price down.

[quote name='schultzed']Actually it was $369.99 vs. $410.00 (last week via Circuit City deals) to have a new 60 GB unit with wifi and 5 free Blu-Ray discs via mail.[/quote]

The coupon and controller return didn't work for everybody.

[quote name='Swift900']

While I will agree CC's deal last week is better than buying a used 20 GB from EB, there is a lot of work / luck involved in knocking the price down.[/QUOTE]

No luck was involved a little charm and perseverance are a plus.

I think that everyone will be able to return their controller, if they stick it out.

I admit that the coupon was tricky . . . as the clerk was reading mine, I gave her a Jedi mind push and said "if you scan it, it will work" and she did and it did.

When I did the return I got a friendly clerk and I charmed her and she accepted it despite the promo status.

I should point out that I absolutely LOATH Gamestop (or junk-o-land as I prefer). Never did like them but the fact that they killed EB makes me like them less.

Just picked up a 20gb PS3 at Eb games just now. And i must say, i am not impressed by the way it was packaged. It came in a big brown box and wasnt even packaged neatly. Just by big pink bubble wrap plastic. I didnt like the condition so im going to find a better one at a diff eb games. blah

total $398 after taxes. Not a bad price though.

Okay this isnt funny guys. After searching 2 different GS/Ebs, the condition of the PS3 the stores have in stock seems to be in worst condition than the one i have!(scratched , dusty,and dirty:drool: ) So i decided to keep the one i have and polish it up a bit.

As soon as I had everything cleaned, set up, and config'd. I insert in Resistance being ready to shoot some aliens up! Then i notice, half an inch of the disc is sticking out of my console. I tried to eject and insert the game in once again, STILL protruding out!!! :hot: It appears that I cannot feed the game all the way making it no way for the system to boot the disc. UGH! Now i gotta go back for a 3rd time to exchange a ps3 thats prob in worst coniditon that the one i have. UGH:twoguns:

[quote name='punkyngo']Okay this isnt funny guys. After searching 2 different GS/Ebs, the condition of the PS3 the stores have in stock seems to be in worst condition than the one i have!(scratched , dusty,and dirty:drool: ) So i decided to keep the one i have and polish it up a bit.

As soon as I had everything cleaned, set up, and config'd. I insert in Resistance being ready to shoot some aliens up! Then i notice, half an inch of the disc is sticking out of my console. I tried to eject and insert the game in once again, STILL protruding out!!! :hot: It appears that I cannot feed the game all the way making it no way for the system to boot the disc. UGH! Now i gotta go back for a 3rd time to exchange a ps3 thats prob in worst coniditon that the one i have. UGH:twoguns:[/quote]

Dont buy used systems from Gamestop. They treat their customer base like monkeys in a cosmetics lab. It's up to us to test out their used products and return the defective stuff. They'll knock off a "refurbishment" value when a customer trades in a dinged up game or system, then stock it out without testing or repair. Once it's returned enough times, it will be scrapped or sent off to a central location to be "refurbished". Which is a joke in and of itself.

Before buying any used system from GS, ask yourself "Why would someone trade in a current generation game system?" The answer, more often than not, is "Cause its broke".

What a joke. What are people doing to these things? My systems always look near-perfect when I trade them in. Maybe a few minor scratches if you look closely at the controller, but that's about it.

There's no way I'd pay even half for a used console, because I know people treat their stuff terribly. Of course I guess I'm glad they go for so much, just because it makes the trade in value higher for me :D

If anyone is willing to drive to Birmingham, AL for a new 20gb.. the Lakeshore Dr FYE has some. I think they're $399, and I know they had more than one as of Sunday. If you racked up some trade-in credit there, it may be more worthwhile to snag than risking a used Gamestop system.

I know it's a little unrelated to the thread, but maybe it'll help somebody out who's shopping for one but on the fence about getting one with dents.

I guess I am the only one who has happy with the used PS3 purchase. They must have accidentaly put a new PS3 in a used PS3 box. :)

Speaking of busted PS3s...here's a guy selling a boatload of broken PS3s on eBay right now. If you like fooling with electronics, maybe something of interest. He has a bunch of auctions stacked on top of each other, so you might get a deal on one...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&satitle=%22ps3%22&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=2ndturn-closeouts&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

so far so good with mine but its been 3 days...i hope all is well, maybe i should have gotten the 1 year warranty for $40?

I found one at a local mall and my boss said he'd be in the area and that he'd pick it up for me so I called and asked the GS to hold it. Guy said he would and I told him I'd be in late so he said he would relay the message to the afternoon crew. Boss went there and when he asked about the held PS3 they shot him some weird looks and told him they only had used ones. So I call the store back and explain what happened and it turns out they do have a used one. Idk why they would tell him they have none when they actually do, looks like I'm not getting a PS3 anytime soon, almost had it but not quite.

bread's done
Back