3D Blu-Ray thread

AngellicLulu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I decided to put a list together of currently available and soon to be available 3D blu-rays and I will keep a current list of the exclusives. I am keeping it to US available. I am only focusing on those blu-rays that require a 3D television/blu-ray player.

Currently Available (Non-exclusives)
3D Aquarium
3D Magic Forest
3D Safari Africa
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Adventure Coral Reef Under the Sea of Egypt
The Adventures of Tintin
Alice in Wonderland
Amazing Nature
Amazing Ocean
The Amazing Spider-Man
Amazon In the Heart of Wild Nature
Arthur Christmas
The Avengers
Bait
Beauty and the Beast
Bolt
Brave
Captain America: The First Avenger
Cars
Cars 2
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Chicken Little
A Christmas Carol
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Cirque Du Soleil - Worlds Away
Clash of the Titans
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
Conan the Barbarian
Coraline
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Creature from the Black Lagoon (Classic Monsters Collection)
Croods
The Darkest Hour
Day of the Dead
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
Dial M for Murder
Dolphin Tale
Dredd
Drive Angry
Epic
Escape from Planet Earth
Fascination Coral Reef
Fascination Coral Reef Mysterious Worlds Underwater
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5
Finding Nemo
Flying Monsters (40 min. cut)
Flying Monsters (70 min. cut) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (HK - English subs)
Frankenweenie
Fright Night
G-Force
Galapagos Charles Darwin's Big Adventure
Gamer
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Ghosts of the Abyss
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
Glee: The 3D Concert Movie
Gnomeo and Juliet
The Great Gatsby
The Green Hornet
Green Lantern
Guardians of the Lost Code (Brijes)
Gulliver's Travels
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters with Digibook (Target exclusive)
Happy Feet Two
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Best Buy Exclusive)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Best Buy Exclusive)
A Haunting in Salem
History in 3D
History of the World in Two Hours
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Theatrical)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (extended edition)
Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
Hotel Transylvania
House of Wax
How to Train Your Dragon
Hugo
I, Robot
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
IMAX: Arabia
IMAX: Born to Be Wild
IMAX: Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man
IMAX: Deep Sea
IMAX: Dinosaurs Alive!
IMAX: Dinosaurs: Giants of Patagonia
IMAX: Dolphins and Whales
IMAX: Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk
IMAX: Hubble
IMAX: Legends of Flight
IMAX: Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs
IMAX: Ocean Wonderland
IMAX: Rescue
IMAX: Sea Rex: Journey to a Prehistoric World
IMAX: Sharks
IMAX: Space Station
IMAX: To the Arctic
IMAX: The Ultimate Wave - Tahiti
IMAX: Ultimate G's - Zac's Flying Dream
IMAX: Under the Sea
IMAX: Wild Ocean
Immortals
Iron Man 3
Jack the Giant Slayer
Jillian's Travels: Africa
John Carter
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Jurassic Park
Katy Perry: Part of Me
Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3D
Khumba
Kung Fu Panda
Kung Fu Panda 2
The Last Airbender (Best Buy Exclusive)
Legend of the Guardians
Life of Pi
The Lion King
The Lion of Judah
The Little Mermaid
Little Rascals Best of Our Gang
The Lorax
Lord of the Dance
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Mars in 3D: Images from the Viking Mission
Mars Needs Moms
Meet the Robinsons
Megamind
Men in Black III
Monster House
A Monster in Paris
Monsters, Inc.
Monsters University
Monsters vs. Aliens
My Bloody Valentine
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Night of the Living Dead: Re-Animation
Nitro Circus: The Movie
The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Film
Open Season
Oz the Great and Powerful
ParaNorman
Peter Gabriel: New Blood - Live in London
Piano Pieces from Mozart, Elgar & Pezzone
Piranha 3D
Piranha 3DD
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
The Polar Express
Priest
Prometheus
Puss in Boots
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Rio
Rise of the Guardians
Sadako
Sanctum
Satchurated: Live in Montreal
Saw: The Final Chapter
The Scorpions: Get Your Sting & Blackout Live
Sector 7 (Korean - English subs)
Secret of the Wings
The Shock Labyrinth (JP - English subs)
Shrek
Shrek 2
Shrek the Third
Shrek Forever After
Silent Hill: Revelation
The Smurfs
Spiders
Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2011: The 3D Experience
Spy Kids Game Over/Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
Star Trek Into Darkness (Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set)
Step Up 3D
Step Up Revolution
Tangled
Tekken: Blood Vengeance
Texas Chainsaw
Thor
The Three Musketeers
Titanic
Titanic: 100 Years in 3D
Top Gun
Tormented
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story Collection
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Tron Legacy
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron
Tron Legacy + 2D Tron (Special Edition)
A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise
Underworld: Awakening
Up
Upside Down (2D/3D BD or BD/DVD Combo)
The Universe: 7 Wonders of the Solar System
The Universe in 3D
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition (Collector's Edition)
Wrath of the Titans
Wrath of the Titans (Steelbook) (Best Buy Exclusive)
Wreck-It Ralph
WWII in 3D
Yogi Bear

Coming Soon

TBA

The Hole
Madagascar
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Resident Evil: Damnation
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

For Blu-ray 3D Trading:
Cheap Ass Gamer - Official 3D Blu-ray Trade Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']The pre-order for Despicable Me 3D, which is a 4-disc with BR, 3D BR, DVD and DC discs, is down to $31.99 on Amazon right now. It's a $6 upgrade cost from the 3-disc BR at $25.99.[/QUOTE]

And if you are 3D ready, you can easily sell the BD disc for $12 (if not more) and sell the DVD and DC as well. I ordered it for $32, but after selling all the extra's, I'll likely only pay a few dollars for the 3D BD.

Yeah, I went 3D.

[quote name='GizmoGC']And if you are 3D ready, you can easily sell the BD disc for $12 (if not more) and sell the DVD and DC as well. I ordered it for $32, but after selling all the extra's, I'll likely only pay a few dollars for the 3D BD.

Yeah, I went 3D.[/QUOTE]Which set and BR player did you go with?

So Brighthouse just added a bunch of free 3D "movies":
3D Sun
African Adventures 3D
Alien Adventure 3D
Dinosaurs Alive 3D
Haunted Castle 3D
Misadventures in 3D
Mummies 3D
Siegfried and Roy 3D
SOS Planet 3D
Wild Ocean 3D
wild Safari 3D

Also added for 6.99 was Scar 3D

So far watched 3D Sun (big meh but glad it was short and free)

[quote name='shrike4242']Which set and BR player did you go with?[/QUOTE]

$1500 nabbed me the Samsung 46" LED, 6800 BD player and the Dragon starter kit.

im a little confused by all this, i have a ps3 and am getting a 3d lg tv. what does it mean when it says exclusive?? does that mean some blu ray movies wont work with some tv's?

[quote name='bredbu']im a little confused by all this, i have a ps3 and am getting a 3d lg tv. what does it mean when it says exclusive?? does that mean some blu ray movies wont work with some tv's?[/QUOTE]

the 3D glasses starter kit comes with exclusive bluray movies. like the samsung ones comes with monsters vs aliens or the how to train your dragon 3D. So, the only way to get those 3D movies is to buy their starter kits. since u have LG, make sure you get the LG 3D glasses thats compatible with that TV.

[quote name='trunks982']the 3D glasses starter kit comes with exclusive bluray movies. like the samsung ones comes with monsters vs aliens or the how to train your dragon 3D. So, the only way to get those 3D movies is to buy their starter kits. since u have LG, make sure you get the LG 3D glasses thats compatible with that TV.[/QUOTE]

ok so if down the road someone is selling how to train your dragon 3d on ebay i can buy that and it will work right?

[quote name='bredbu']ok so if down the road someone is selling how to train your dragon 3d on ebay i can buy that and it will work right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. And expect to pay $100 for an exclusive 3D release on eBay.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yep. And expect to pay $100 for an exclusive 3D release on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I actually sold the MIR for How To Train Your Dragon for $125 and the 3d IMAX disc for another $75... was nice since they came free with the tv.

I have a copy of HTTYD on the way from my other television (Shipped from Samsung on Friday).

[quote name='duckydan']I actually sold the MIR for How To Train Your Dragon for $125 and the 3d IMAX disc for another $75... was nice since they came free with the tv.

I have a copy of HTTYD on the way from my other television (Shipped from Samsung on Friday).[/QUOTE]

u saying the voucher for Dragon is in the samsung TV box also? which model is that?

this thread made me change my mind :( i cancelled my order i was gonna get a 46inch lg with 4 glasses and 3d blu ray player for 1400 but after seeing the limited content i decided i would just get a huge tv :) so i found a samsung 58" plasma on amazon warehouse for 1,029!! im gonna wait on the 3d till theres more content.

I watched the Wild Ocean last night. I'm a marine geek so I really enjoyed it. I'm keeping my preorder on it even though I just watched it for free.
Alien Adventures was completely plotless, but it would have been awesome if I was in one of those moving theaters at theme parks because that was the whole gist. You ride a bunch of theme park rides.
African Adventures showed some extreme 3D. It would try and make you flinch constantly with weeds hitting you in the face and elephants all up in your business.

I highly recommend to try out these videos if you have Brighthouse Digital Cable.

[quote name='bredbu']this thread made me change my mind :( i cancelled my order i was gonna get a 46inch lg with 4 glasses and 3d blu ray player for 1400 but after seeing the limited content i decided i would just get a huge tv :) so i found a samsung 58" plasma on amazon warehouse for 1,029!! im gonna wait on the 3d till theres more content.[/QUOTE]

You could have gotten a new 60" DLP with 3-D for around the same price from tigerdirect, or a 73" for a couple of hundred bucks more... If you can get past it not being flat, DLP > Plasma for 3-D. Plasma has ghosting in high contrast scenes, DLP does not. LCD has even more ghosting than Plasma does. Checkout "my bloody valentine" (bestbuy exclusive now) for reference.

Nice list, but I think I'm going to wait it out till something like Barco 3D projectors are available for home theatres.

[quote name='denze']Nice list, but I think I'm going to wait it out till something like Barco 3D projectors are available for home theatres.[/QUOTE]

Why not snag a Mistubishi 3D DLP? They are cheap, huge, and actually have better PQ for 3-D than plasma or LCD. Just make sure you get the right glasses, b/c some are better quality than others.

That was the first release, Stonecold... (Anaglyph Red/Blue) and not True 3d. The real 3d version of the film is still 34.99 (unless you got lucky with a price mistake.)

[quote name='duckydan']That was the first release, Stonecold... (Anaglyph Red/Blue) and not True 3d. The real 3d version of the film is still 34.99 (unless you got lucky with a price mistake.)[/QUOTE]

I was checking it out and it was the TRUE 3D version. I was really surprised when I saw it.

So I got the retail release of this today. I'll explain how Disney is doing 3D on Blu-ray.

The 4 disc set includes
3D BD
2D BD
DVD
DC

The 3D BD will NOT play in a normal BD player. Period. You need to have a 3D BD Player AND a 3D TV for it to even load. So no 2D playback on it. It also included only 1 Bonus feature (even though it's a 50GB Disc), while the 2D BD has the rest. I guess this is so people won't keep the 3D BD (i.e. they have 1 3D BD player and several other BD players and would sell off the 2D BD). If you don't care about Special Features, and only plan on watching it in 3D, well, you should be happy. This makes sense as a 3D and 2D of the film + Special Features likely wouldn't fit on 1 BD50.

So who wants to buy the 2D BD?

Gizmo - what movie are you referring to specifically for this?

I see the 4 disc toy story 2 set, but see no mention of 3d.

Also, how do they usually do the packin for these? Im assuming blu plastic insert that just snaps out of the inside spine of the case? That would make it real simple for me to keep the 3d and pawn all other versions.

Need a bit of help though... I have a 73" Mitsubushi 3D dlp ; need to buy a 3d emitter kit. Do I just buy the mitsubishi brand one for 400, or is their something better? Also, is 400 the cheapest for this equip?

[quote name='Steggy']Gizmo - what movie are you referring to specifically for this?

Also, how do they usually do the packin for these? Im assuming blu plastic insert that just snaps out of the inside spine of the case? That would make it real simple for me to keep the 3d and pawn all other versions.

Need a bit of help though... I have a 73" Mitsubushi 3D dlp ; need to buy a 3d emitter kit. Do I just buy the mitsubishi brand one for 400, or is their something better? Also, is 400 the cheapest for this equip?[/QUOTE]

Oops, sorry. A Christmas Carol.

It's packaged in a 4 Disc BD case. It's slightly thicker than a normal BD case.

[quote name='Steggy']Gizmo - what movie are you referring to specifically for this?

Need a bit of help though... I have a 73" Mitsubushi 3D dlp ; need to buy a 3d emitter kit. Do I just buy the mitsubishi brand one for 400, or is their something better? Also, is 400 the cheapest for this equip?[/QUOTE]

With the mitsu you pretty much ahve to buy the converter box and ir emitter (I've seen it priced between 299 and 399 depending on the store. I had a mitsu tv for a few weeks but could not calibrate it (got the 638 series) and got rid of it for an LED instead. (Although I will say the DLP had better 3D effect but worse PQ) You can buy the converter box separately for 99.99 but without the IR Emitter it does nothing unless you use the xPand glasses (99.99 - 149.99 per pair). At the cost of 2 pair plus the box you're better off getting that kit. In all honesty I'd sell off the disney disc that comes with it on ebay for $75 and come out a little better (it's nothing but previews and one short video clip)

Coraline has made the move from Panasonic exclusive to general release in January. Huzzah! Now if we can just kill all these exclusives... I'll be a happy camper.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Coraline has made the move from Panasonic exclusive to general release in January. Huzzah! Now if we can just kill all these exclusives... I'll be a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

About time. I hadn't been desperate enough to buy a $50-100 Blu-ray on eBay, but I've been getting close. I can only watch Cloudy With a Chance so many times.

Amazon UK is now selling the 3D Shrek pack. It sucks that this is exclusive to Samsung here in the US.

Maybe there will be some UK retailers that will ship internationally? I really want to get this for Xmas but I know eBay prices will probably be ridiculous.

[quote name='Darknyss']Amazon UK is now selling the 3D Shrek pack. It sucks that this is exclusive to Samsung here in the US.

Maybe there will be some UK retailers that will ship internationally? I really want to get this for Xmas but I know eBay prices will probably be ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Is this pack region free?

The cheapest would still be a Mitsubishi w/ the IR kit. The next cheapest would be Vizio's new XVT 3dtvs and then either a Panasonic or a Samsung with Sony in the back end in price. I had bad experience with the color on a DLP (although the 3D effect was good) and now have a samsung LED (which has minor ghosting problems but a great pq).

The Shrek set is region free (have a set on it's way to me) but they have since jacked the price up to 149.99 GBP instead of the nicely priced 49.99GBP.

Open Season looks very good. Same with A Christmas Carol and Polar Express. I also picked up the Best Buy exclusive Last Airbender but won't get to that one until the weekend.

Shrek 3D complete collection has been announced as the next Samsung Starter Kit. You get the first 3 movies and then mail away for the fourth.

[quote name='AngellicLulu']Shrek 3D complete collection has been announced as the next Samsung Starter Kit. You get the first 3 movies and then mail away for the fourth.[/QUOTE]Now, that's a good starter kit with four movies. Impressive.

Watched Shrek 1. It was really fuzzy in most of the backgrounds. It was really cool, but the backgrounds being fuzzy really bothered me. This is what you are giving people to show off your technology? Oh and Shrek 4 the only one I have never seen says it is going to take 10-12 weeks to arrive after putting my info in on the website which is supposed to expedite it. Sigh. At least I now have 4 pairs of glasses to show off my TV for Thanksgiving.

I went all in and got 55" Samsung LED TV/BLu-ray player/Shrek starter kit from Amazon's sale at the beginning of the week, plus two pairs of rechargeable Samsung glasses. I also bought a new 3D-ready receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-37), to replace my older Marantz. Finally, I ordered an add-on terrestrial HD tuner for my DirecTV HR22 HD DVR, which I'm moving from my son's bedroom, so I can get the DirecTV 3D channels; I currently have an HR20 in the living room, which can't get the 3D channels. I'm now having to deal with the wait for everything to get here, so I can hook it up and begin the 3D goodness. I'm looking forward to watching the BSC championship game in 3D on ESPN 3D on 1/11/11.

So far, I've bought or pre-ordered these 3D Blu-rays, so I'll have some content for the gear:

- Four Shrek movies, with the starter kit
- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
- Open Season
- Disney's A Christmas Carol
- Monster House
- The Polar Express
- Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- Coraline
- Monsters vs. Aliens
- Bolt
- Alice in Wonderland (pre-order)
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (pre-order)
- Open Season 3 (pre-order)
- Despicable Me (pre-order)

I'm hoping to find a good price on How to Train Your Dragon, either by itself, or as part of the Samsung starter kit that includes it, which will also give me two more pairs of glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='msu89dawgs']I went all in[/quote]
That's an understatement, wow!

Finally, I ordered an add-on terrestrial HD tuner for my DirecTV HR22 HD DVR, so I can get the DirecTV HD channels.
What does having the add-on box for OTA have to do with DirecTV 3D?

[quote name='turls']That's an understatement, wow!

What does having the add-on box for OTA have to do with DirecTV 3D?[/QUOTE]

I butchered that sentence pretty badly. What I meant to say, and fixed in my post, was that I was moving the HR22 from my son's bedroom to my living room to replace my HR20, since it doesn't do 3D.

[quote name='shrike4242']Blu-Ray.com review of the UK 3-movie collection of Shrek 1-3:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shrek-The-Complete-Collection-3D-Blu-ray/17865/#Review[/QUOTE]
Am I insane? The Shrek 1's blurriness was annoying as crap to me and was much worse than Clash of the Titans which everyone said was so horrible.
I guess I'll give it that it is a near 10 year old movie... but I still stand by that it is not something you want to demo 3D with.
Can't wait for Alice this week.
Really can't wait for Despicable Me and Legends of the Guardians next week since I haven't seen either.

bread's done
Back