3DS - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Discussion Thread - Master Quest Included!

As much as this whole situation sucks hopefully this will prompt nintendo to start releasing old soundtracks on CD's on their own after this whole fiasco. there's obviously still a huge fanbase over these, me included. anyone agree?. imagine the chaos over re-releases to Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess :drool:.

Just picked up my copy from Gamestop. Now I know why I don't buy from them anymore. (Only bought it from them since I wanted it today)

Me: I came to pick up my Zelda preorder.
GS: Your phone number?
Me: ##########
GS: Would you like the strategy guide with it?
Me: No thank you.
GS: Would you like to use your power up reward card?
Me: No thanks.
GS: You know about it right?
Me: I do.
GS: Well you could always apply for it to save on used games.
Me: I'm okay. Thanks anyways.
GS. Would you like to go ahead and preorder any upcoming games?
Me: Maybe sometime later.
GS: Are you sure? There isn't anything you're interested in right now?
Me. Not at the moment.
GS: (slips in a paper with upcoming release) Well go ahead and make sure you check out Resident Evil Mercenaries when you get the chance.
Me: I will thanks.

I know they're just doing their job but it's still rather annoying. :/

I registered my game and didn't get the cd prompt either. I just got off the phone with Nintendo. They took my name, address, e-mail and the time I registered my game. He said I most likely will get it but it is not guaranteed. I will cry actual tears if I don't get it. My friend bought the game for me this morning and texted me the number to register it. I am going to be so sad if I don't get it. You know people will be selling it on ebay. :cry: Call Nintendo. You'll have to wait. They are getting a high volume of calls. 1-800-255-3700

I just received a confirmation e-mail from Nintendo saying my Club Nintendo Reward Order is being processed and that I'll get another confirmation e-mail when it ships. Looks like I'll get my soundtrack....I think. :)

[quote name='Batcave Dweller']I just received a confirmation e-mail from Nintendo saying my Club Nintendo Reward Order is being processed and that I'll get another confirmation e-mail when it ships. Looks like I'll get my soundtrack....I think. :)[/QUOTE]

I got a confirmation too! :applause:

Wound up picking this up from Best Buy (along with Cartoon Network Punch Time explosion) and the guide was 50% off (all guides were). No CD prompt, but I'll try calling later.

From the Club Nintendo front page, after you log in:

"Everyone who completes a survey for The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D game by midnight, Pacific Time on Monday June 20, 2011 will receive the soundtrack CD. You will receive an email confirmation within 7 days to confirming we have placed your order.

Please ensure the address on your account is your valid mailing address, so we can send the CD to you."

Saved me a phone call. It wouldn't be fair to us West Siders. I picked up my copy before lunch and didn't get the prompt.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Not trolling, seriously wondering, what's it like playing Zelda on the 3DS' 3.5" screen? Is it adequate, or does it feel too small?[/QUOTE] So far I've only done the first dungeon and met up with Zelda, haven't played the game in since when it originally came out on the N64. It feels fine. I couldn't ever go back to the original since the textures were so muddy, the visual remodeling was welcomed.

The game has been sitting in the glass case at the local Super Walmart since Tuesday. They turn the games that can not be sold until a certain date backwards. When the release date gets here they turn the game around so that the front of the case is showing.

I've put about 5 hours in and have had no issues with the screen size. I agree with Mad D, too... it's a great looking game, the visual overhaul is nearly perfect. Close enough that it's heavily reminiscent of the 64 version, but upgraded enough that it looks like it belongs on the successor to the DS. As most expected, this is easily the 'go-to' game for showing off the system.

The 3D effect also gives the world a ton of depth, which I think goes far in alleviating any worries about the small screen. It sounds goofy, but it really is like looking through a window to Hyrule. Either way, unless you're seriously blind, screen size is no issue.

In regards to the Club Nintendo thing... honestly, why didn't they just do it that way the entire time? If they track when surveys are done anyway, why go through the extra step of the prompt? Seems strange to me, especially given that this new way is exactly how they did the Phantom Hourglass giveaway all those years ago. Keep it simple.

[quote name='Mad D']From the Club Nintendo front page, after you log in:

"Everyone who completes a survey for The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D game by midnight, Pacific Time on Monday June 20, 2011 will receive the soundtrack CD. You will receive an email confirmation within 7 days to confirming we have placed your order.

Please ensure the address on your account is your valid mailing address, so we can send the CD to you."
[/QUOTE]

Seriously kicking myself for keeping my Amazon pre-order :cry:

[quote name='007']I agree with Mad D, too... it's a great looking game, the visual overhaul is nearly perfect. Close enough that it's heavily reminiscent of the 64 version, but upgraded enough that it looks like it belongs on the successor to the DS. As most expected, this is easily the 'go-to' game for showing off the system.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with you completely-- the screenshots do not give this game justice. Runs smooth and looks fantastic, but it doesn't betray the art style of the game whatsoever.

Took me going to one K-mart, and then calling two others and going to that 2nd one I called to get this damn game. I would of waited for a few days(because I had K-mart coupons that are good until July) and the k-mart deal is good all this week, but I wanted my free soundtrack.

Anyway have only put about 5 minutes on the game so far. I want to start the game after I get the guide but the gamestop I went to got like 1 guide in and sold it before I got there and the target I went to before my work today did not have any copies on display even. Hopefully best buy has it today.

Game is fucking beautiful in 3D though, holy crap I can't wait to get into this game. I also love how they redid the graphics. It has that classic N64 feel but redone so they look fantastic. Sometimes I replay redone graphics and they ruin the original vision but this is perfect. I might even say this version might just be the greatest game I have ever played in my life. The original N64 one was in my top 5, but this in 3D with the graphics overhaul might just be the best game I have ever played.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Go to any store, buy the game, register the code, when the game comes from Amazon, return the sealed game to the B&M store. Easy.[/QUOTE]

My Amazon order states it's estimated to arrive tomorrow...but it just scanned through FedEx a city which is about 2.5 hours away. If not here by the time I'm done with work, I'll do the ol' switcheroo.

Pretty ridiculous. Should have just got it from Target in the first place but was hoping Amazon would match them.

The game is fantastic. For being a 13 year old game, it really says a lot about how good it is when it feels fantastic even in 2011. When I first stepped into Kokiri Village in 3D and saw all of the particle effects floating around in 3D, I was in love.

Ocarina of Time has always been my all time favorite game and I love being able to replay it in a fresh new way. 3DS purchase now justified.

I'm a few hours in (about to initiate the dodongo boss fight) and its been great revisiting this game. I'm not sure if I replayed the original but its still a blast and strangely it feels familiar even 13 years later. Visually its extremely satisfying and the 3D feels very natural. I only had Navi tell me to break once in about 5 hours of play so far. But I have no doubt I'm going to fly through this game and its worth retail to me. I'm hoping they do something to get MM on the 3DS though I highly doubt they'd remake it and I know there were issues emulating it on Wii (if I remember correctly)

I wasn't in any rush to buy this game on launch day until I found out about the soundtrack offer/registration deadline. All of a sudden, instead of my usual online route, I found myself checking every store in the area for available physical copies. I've visited (but mostly called) every Best Buy, Target, TRU, Kmart, and any other possible store in my area that carries games. Some of their web sites even list 'in stock.' They all got the game; they're all sold out already.

In other words, this may be a phenomenon about where I live, but I am not exaggerating when I say this game, in regards to in-store physical copies, is sold out EVERYWHERE after just a day. Frustrating to say the least. Reportedly Nintendo was afraid that, like Spirit Tracks, they'd see numerous bargain bin copies of the game shortly after launch.

A bit frustrating. Glad you guys all got the game with no problems, but I'm a bit amazed no one but me has experienced the shortage. :cry:

I had an awful experience trying to find a copy on release day. Checked two Wal-Marts and a KMart all of which had no idea what I was talking about and claimed they didn't have it in stock. Then I get to Gamestop at 6:05 only to find out they closed at 6:00. Luckily I was able to get a copy today at Gamestop. If they were out I was going to go on a road trip to bigger and better towns until I found a copy.

The local Gamestops that I checked & called did what they usually do: scolded me for not pre-ordering and told me all their copies were for pre-orders. I replied that I didn't know about the soundtrack deal until the morning of launch day.

At this point I'm just giving up and waiting a few weeks for Nintendo to get their act together. My only point in even wanting it before midnight tonight was the deadline for registration.

I have absolutely no issues obtaining the soundtrack by other means when it becomes available online. I gave it my best shot.

[quote name='007'] I agree with Mad D, too... it's a great looking game, the visual overhaul is nearly perfect. Close enough that it's heavily reminiscent of the 64 version, but upgraded enough that it looks like it belongs on the successor to the DS.

The 3D effect also gives the world a ton of depth, which I think goes far in alleviating any worries about the small screen. It sounds goofy, but it really is like looking through a window to Hyrule. Either way, unless you're seriously blind, screen size is no issue.

[/QUOTE]
I had actually been playing with the 3D off up until I read your post.

The 3D makes a noticeable difference with the visuals. It adds a great sense of depth and acts almost like natural antialiasing. Not that this game contains any jagged models, it just makes things a lot smoother visually.

[quote name='Mad D']I had actually been playing with the 3D off up until I read your post.

The 3D makes a noticeable difference with the visuals. It adds a great sense of depth and acts almost like natural antialiasing. Not that this game contains any jagged models, it just makes things a lot smoother visually.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, this is the first 3DS game where I'd honestly say that you actually lose something by not playing in 3D. It's a great game regardless, but the 3D is just so well implemented that it truly does add to the game. Out of the 6 3DS games I've played now, Ocarina is the only one I can say that about.

What the heck? The game is way more jagged in 3D as it uses no AA.
2D mode has 2xAA.

For me it's Kind of a chore to play Zelda in 3D in regards to keeping it just right with all the battles and the fact that I constantly look around.

Other than the pretty particle effects though, 3D seems straightforward.

In 2D this game looks especially clean. Really beautiful. Damn I love handhelds.

Great game, I'm really enjoying it.

I think the 3D is great but the only time I have turned it off so far is when walking down narrow pathways and don't want to fall off. I think the game is great and well worth it. I can't wait for other first party Nintendo 3DS games!!!

relevant:

2agX9.png

hahaha.... Thanks for the laugh, almost as enjoyable as everybody with there rant on how poorly Nintendo handled the soundtrack.

There is one thing that frustrates me about this game, I haven't played this game in at least 6-7 years and it is frustrating how much I remember but have forgotten at the same time.

Haha, just like 13 years ago, I got lost in the Fishing Pond for like an hour. I booted the game up with the intention of going through Jabu-Jabu, but that, uh, just didn't happen. Damn you, fishing!

Oh, and I just got the e-mail about the soundtrack order, so that's a yay. I figured Nintendo would take care of it without an issue, but it's always nice to have confirmation.

I never played this game when it first came out - I skipped from the SNES to the cube and when I tried playing it on my wii VC, I couldn't get past the dated look and feel of the opening sequence in Kokiri Village. I was hesitant to get this game because I figured all the hype was from nostalgia (much like goldeneye 64 which is just terribly dated if played now) but being as there isn't much of a selection of games to choose from for my 3ds, I got it anyway.

I can say now that this game is really growing on me. I just finished the whole inside the deku tree level and the 3d is amazing. I can't imagine playing the game without the effect because it really changes the feel. I have street fighter and pilotwings and the 3d was cool in both of those but does not approach the same level of awesomeness that it does in this game.

Anyway, a wholehearted thumbs up to this game from an old time gamer who's playing through for the first time!

It is surprising how much of this game I have memorized after 13 years. I keep stopping every 5 minutes like "oh there is a skulltulla over here' or "omg there is a heart piece here".

Just wondering, did anyone that pre ordered from Gamestop get the poster? My store claimed they didn't get any, and still haven't gotten it yet. I'm ready to give a call down to the corp office because I'm kinda pissed off.

They push pre order, state the free stuff you get but can't follow through on the free items is pretty lame. I was there at 11:00am on Sunday when my store opened so they couldn't of ran out unless the employees horded them.

[quote name='Denbo32']Just wondering, did anyone that pre ordered from Gamestop get the poster? My store claimed they didn't get any, and still haven't gotten it yet. I'm ready to give a call down to the corp office because I'm kinda pissed off.

They push pre order, state the free stuff you get but can't follow through on the free items is pretty lame. I was there at 11:00am on Sunday when my store opened so they couldn't of ran out unless the employees horded them.[/QUOTE]

Same! I was the first person on line, and that is the ONLY reason I used Gamestop! I would have gotten it cheaper at Target or BB, but I wanted my poster. WHAT A SCAM!

[quote name='Denbo32']Just wondering, did anyone that pre ordered from Gamestop get the poster? My store claimed they didn't get any, and still haven't gotten it yet. I'm ready to give a call down to the corp office because I'm kinda pissed off.

They push pre order, state the free stuff you get but can't follow through on the free items is pretty lame. I was there at 11:00am on Sunday when my store opened so they couldn't of ran out unless the employees horded them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Same! I was the first person on line, and that is the ONLY reason I used Gamestop! I would have gotten it cheaper at Target or BB, but I wanted my poster. WHAT A SCAM![/QUOTE]

Both of you should contact corporate about this. Sure it's only a poster but it's an incentive to preordering it and corporate should be notified to maybe get your poster and to also try and at least get something to happen at that store. Sure gamestop's corporate is a complete joke, but it does not hurt to try.

Also excited to be getting my guide for the game today. No place had it except Amazon, so I bought it there, and it was supposed to come in monday. Thank god they are shipping it today.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Also excited to be getting my guide for the game today. No place had it except Amazon, so I bought it there, and it was supposed to come in monday. Thank god they are shipping it today.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it is. I have the Prima and Nintendo guides from the N64 version. I'm curious if the new one is worth picking up. I probably will get it because of Master Quest.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Both of you should contact corporate about this. Sure it's only a poster but it's an incentive to preordering it and corporate should be notified to maybe get your poster and to also try and at least get something to happen at that store. Sure gamestop's corporate is a complete joke, but it does not hurt to try.

Also excited to be getting my guide for the game today. No place had it except Amazon, so I bought it there, and it was supposed to come in monday. Thank god they are shipping it today.[/QUOTE]

I found my guide at Best Buy, it was 50% off. Though I am returning it, since the odds of me using it are slim (I generally play on the train, and don't want to carry a big book with me).

Since I posted the link that said the poster would be a pre-order bonus, I want to point out that it was a third party source and that I pre-ordered and also did not get one from GS. Did anyone see it mentioned in an official capacity?

[quote name='icedrake523']Let me know how it is. I have the Prima and Nintendo guides from the N64 version. I'm curious if the new one is worth picking up. I probably will get it because of Master Quest.[/QUOTE]
While I haven't really used the guide much yesterday, I think it's alright. Mainly if you are going to buy it, it's going to be for skultilla/heartpiece locations. There is maps of every area and maps for the master quest changes. All in all not too bad, plus it comes with a free poster.

bread's done
Back