Ace Combat 5 only $4.99 at SEARS! Major YMMV

[quote name='Kuma'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='zaphon']I went to sears this morning and was able to get one copy, but the best part was the lady who rang me up (they had a print out saying they'd honor one copy per person, only had 4 copies, and 3 employees bought the other 3 copies) rang it up for $4.49 instead of $4.99 so I walked out Ace Combat 5 in hand for a total of $4.86...[/quote]

That's complete crap with the employees buying copies of the stuff on sale. Especially when they've been waffling on honoring it.[/quote]

thats not as bad as the two guys in the R Zone department of TRU telling me they went through and picked out all the good games before they even priced them for the green tag sale[/quote]

A couple of sales reps did that during the CC Fall Sale and I complained to the manager about it. Seems like they told them not to do it, but not before those asshats got away with some good stuff.

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='scuba'][quote name='Mishimaryu']It would be funny to see lots of ebay auctions with Ace Combat 5 selling. :lol:[/quote]

I bought two

I am selling one on ebay :)[/quote]

Forget eBay. Hook a fellow CAG up with it, Stink_Pickle:
http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38943[/quote]

Have to agree. There will be soooo many copies of AC5 on eBay this weekend, you'll face a lot of competition and won't get much for it. Might as well sell it to a fellow CAG, that way at least you can set your own price without paying eBay and PayPal about 10% of what you make.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='scuba'][quote name='Mishimaryu']It would be funny to see lots of ebay auctions with Ace Combat 5 selling. :lol:[/quote]

I bought two

Have to agree. There will be soooo many copies of AC5 on eBay this weekend, you'll face a lot of competition and won't get much for it. Might as well sell it to a fellow CAG, that way at least you can set your own price without paying eBay and PayPal about 10% of what you make.[/quote]

You'll make a fellow CAG happy. What other motivation do you need?

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='Kuma'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='zaphon']I went to sears this morning and was able to get one copy, but the best part was the lady who rang me up (they had a print out saying they'd honor one copy per person, only had 4 copies, and 3 employees bought the other 3 copies) rang it up for $4.49 instead of $4.99 so I walked out Ace Combat 5 in hand for a total of $4.86...[/quote]

That's complete crap with the employees buying copies of the stuff on sale. Especially when they've been waffling on honoring it.[/quote]

thats not as bad as the two guys in the R Zone department of TRU telling me they went through and picked out all the good games before they even priced them for the green tag sale[/quote]

A couple of sales reps did that during the CC Fall Sale and I complained to the manager about it. Seems like they told them not to do it, but not before those asshats got away with some good stuff.[/quote]

im all for the employees hoping in on the fun too but you know something is up when there break room looks liek a warehouse

btw... firefox does rock

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='cheapass Gundam'][quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='scuba'][quote name='Mishimaryu']It would be funny to see lots of ebay auctions with Ace Combat 5 selling. :lol:[/quote]

I bought two

Have to agree. There will be soooo many copies of AC5 on eBay this weekend, you'll face a lot of competition and won't get much for it. Might as well sell it to a fellow CAG, that way at least you can set your own price without paying eBay and PayPal about 10% of what you make.[/quote]

You'll make a fellow CAG happy. What other motivation do you need?[/quote]

yeah really we're in this together people

Well, I was able to PM at BB, no problems. Ended up getting it for 4.40. Apparently, my Sears was honoring the lower price, but they had run out of stock. I was able to pick up Karaoke Revolution for 12, a Jampack for a buck, and Return of the King on X-box for 10. nice deal today.

Managed to get a copy today at BB for $4.99 + tax. Don't have a PS2, just got it for trading/credit purposes, but wasn't an asshat about it buying multiple copies either. Where can I get the most on this as a trade in?

I got a copy today for 3.99 at Circuit City. I also got Budokai and Tekken for the same price. I love price match plus and new workers.

[quote name='Birbo']Managed to get a copy today at BB for $4.99 + tax. Don't have a PS2, just got it for trading/credit purposes, but wasn't an asshat about it buying multiple copies either. Where can I get the most on this as a trade in?[/quote]

Hook a fellow CAG up with it, they'll appreciate you for it all the more than the trade value would be worth.

My Sears had 3 $5 games when I got my ass out of bed and there by 9 AM. I asked about the $5 games in general and a nice associate said that all of them had sold fast and there wasn't any more in back or anything. (If he was BSing me he did a decent job...)

PM attempt at CC - no luck. Guy double checked ad against game then called Sears right away. They told him right out that it was a misprint and that they couldn't PM.

I thought I almost had it at Wal-Mart. The girl at electronics tried to do the PM right away but the register told her to get a manager because the difference was too much. So the manager came and after poring over it for about 5 minutes took it to find his boss. In the meantime the three electronics employees started grilling me about the ad and all three concluded that if this was true they would HAVE to buy it as soon as they got off work. But the manager came back and had called Sears and gave me the same misprint story as CC.

[quote name='Luckychunk'][quote name='masha']I went to Sears today. As soon as I walked in I saw a big rat in the electronic department just shopping around :). Two girls were screaming. People paniced. It was fan to watch.

Didn't get the game, but rat was worth a trip.[/quote]

Sounds like this deal hit FatWallet already.[/quote]

The mark of doom for any deal. :shock:

So, here's my sad sappy tale. This is in Murfreesboro, TN.

GameCrazy - Does not PM
EB - Does not PM

So then I went to Wal-Mart. They say that they can't honor it (I printed off the original picture and the scanned receipts) because it was from MA. I say that it's a nationwide sale, they say sorry, and hand me back the receipts.

I go to Sears. There's a bin that says "take an additional 50% off", filled with SSX3 (which would end up being $25), TMNT (Would be 7.50), 007 EoN (would be 10), etc. If they still have EoN, I might get it tomorrow.

Anyways, I find a guy, and he says he could probably do it, since one store had PM'ed it. He then comes back and says that the manager won't do it. He'll bring her out if I want, but since I don't feel like arguing, i'll forfeit it. They had 3. The main reason she wouldn't take it is because I didn't have a REAL ad, which is a bullshit reason and they all know it. If I did have a real ad, she'd still deny me, but she said if I bring back a real ad, she'll honor it.

On to Books A Million, where I look through newspapers.. ah! A sears ad! Unfortunately, it didn't print here, so DVD's were in the place of the games.

I go to TRU. They call Sears, and Sears won't answer. Manager (cute thing, early 20's, blonde hair, blue eyes, her name is AMIE for those in the M'Boro area who feel like sending her mail) says that she'll do it, but she needs to find out if they have them in stock. I told her I can go over and get Sears to call TRU and verify. She asks why I wouldn't get it over there if I'm already over there.. so naturally, I tell the truth regarding the ad, and the evil woman hands me my ads and says if they won't do it, we won't. Sons of bitches!

I head on to Hastings, who may or may not PM. AC5 is OOS, and I hadn't eaten all day, and I decided that maybe it wasn't meant for me to have this game. I gave up.

I went to Rhino. For shits and giggles, asked if they PM'ed, and they do, but not for sales. They had Full Spectrum Warrior used for $16.99.. I almost bit, but I didn't.

Then there's this used media store.. I decided to check it out. Always smells like a stoner's paradise in there.. anyways, they had Halo 2 for 42, Bard's tale for 39, Thief for 19.. all sorts of great deals. I'd been in there the other day and saw that they offered a guy $8 for Project Gotham Racing in PH casing.. hmm.. so I go out to the car, grab a few games for trade (Fever 04, NCAA 04, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge, still sealed, all three XBox).. and he looks at them for a second. EB would've given me like.. two bucks, if i'm lucky. This guy goes "credit or cash?" so I said credit. He then says "Hmm.. I'll give you 25 for all three."

:shock:

So I look around the store and I notice a used copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 DVD edition Editor's Choice for 19. I grab that, and a used copy of "Gunman Chronicles" for 3.99 (I realize that it's crap, but by getting it, I complete my HL catalog.. HL, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, CS, Gunman, TFC, CS Source, HL Source, DOD Source, HL2). He then says I have two bucks left over (What, no tax in this store!?), so I just forfeited it.. I actually would've had $1, but whatever. Good enough for me.

So yeah, seeing as how I didn't spend a penny today, and suddenly realizing that I hadn't eaten all day, I pull into McDonalds. I order a #2, and the employee is laughing the whole time over the speaker.. I'm like wtf? So I get to the window and she was like.. I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you.. so I pay, get the change, and she looks at me and goes "Do you have any close blonde friends?" and I was like "Umm.. yeah.." and she was like "Aw, oh well" and I was like "Well, I make fun of them" (meaning dumb blonde jokes, which is where I figured she was going).. and she said "What do you call a natural blonde with dyed brown hair?" and I said "I don't know, what?" and she said "Artificial Intelligence!"..

...woooooooooooooooow.

To sum it up.. no PM for Ace Combat 5, I get pissed, trade in really, really cheap games, get $25 store credit, grab Gunman Chronicles and a copy of UT2004 Editor's Choice, and get told a dumb blonde joke by a chick at McDonalds. What a day..

I'm tired.

But yeah.. this is what I got for 19 used.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245410.asp

[quote name='shrike4242'][quote name='Luckychunk'][quote name='masha']I went to Sears today. As soon as I walked in I saw a big rat in the electronic department just shopping around :). Two girls were screaming. People paniced. It was fan to watch.

Didn't get the game, but rat was worth a trip.[/quote]

Sounds like this deal hit FatWallet already.[/quote]

The mark of doom for any deal. :shock:[/quote]

Not really. The topics at FW has about 6000 view. The topic here has 20145. My guess is that most people at FW dont know the true value of AC5.

I went to my local walmart @ 7am, spoke with a nice cashier named joan, showed her the ad and she was taken aback and looked over the whole thing, she was more than happy to call a manager for the overide. We talked for a few minutes and I even offered to let her keep the ad so she could get the game as well for 4.99 (she was an ace combat fan too). A manager name grace was asked and flat out refused, and said cause it was cause the sale had limited hours. I explained that wasn't mentioned in the price match statement they had. She said it didnt matter. She left and I then asked for another manager. By this time 3 other employess were around and began to take bets (verbal) I wouldn't get the game. After a few minutes The store manager David showed up, we shook hands and spoke for a few minutes. He looked at the ad and said "No problem". The cashier mentioned what the other manager had said, and he was quick to note if it was in print it was honored, and asked for the refusing manager's name. he signed my receipt, shook my hand again and said if i needed anything to let him know. I got the game, left the ad for the cashier, and was killing bogies in no time. Big Success. God Bless misprints.

[quote name='Scorch']so I go out to the car, grab a few games for trade (Fever 04, NCAA 04, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge, still sealed, all three XBox).. and he looks at them for a second. EB would've given me like.. two bucks, if i'm lucky. This guy goes "credit or cash?" so I said credit. He then says "Hmm.. I'll give you 25 for all three."

[/quote]

Damn. You could create your own cottage industry buying from EB and trading in to that place.

[quote name='yogi99']Does this $5 games at Sear and price match at other stores still work on Sunday or later dates?[/quote]

One day only (Saturday).

[quote name='KingNES']I went to my local walmart @ 7am, spoke with a nice cashier named joan, showed her the ad and she was taken aback and looked over the whole thing, she was more than happy to call a manager for the overide. We talked for a few minutes and I even offered to let her keep the ad so she could get the game as well for 4.99 (she was an ace combat fan too). A manager name grace was asked and flat out refused, and said cause it was cause the sale had limited hours. I explained that wasn't mentioned in the price match statement they had. She said it didnt matter. She left and I then asked for another manager. By this time 3 other employess were around and began to take bets (verbal) I wouldn't get the game. After a few minutes The store manager David showed up, we shook hands and spoke for a few minutes. He looked at the ad and said "No problem". The cashier mentioned what the other manager had said, and he was quick to note if it was in print it was honored, and asked for the refusing manager's name. he signed my receipt, shook my hand again and said if i needed anything to let him know. I got the game, left the ad for the cashier, and was killing bogies in no time. Big Success. God Bless misprints.[/quote]

Their only exception to their PM is they dont match 24 hour / 1 day sales. I know this because I bought the indiana jones set, and a week later it was int he BF ad for about $15 less. It was a 2 day sale so they honored it.

[quote name='damack'][quote name='Scorch']so I go out to the car, grab a few games for trade (Fever 04, NCAA 04, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge, still sealed, all three XBox).. and he looks at them for a second. EB would've given me like.. two bucks, if i'm lucky. This guy goes "credit or cash?" so I said credit. He then says "Hmm.. I'll give you 25 for all three."

[/quote]

Damn. You could create your own cottage industry buying from EB and trading in to that place.[/quote]

I thought about it. I'll go back tomorrow and rack up a bit of credit and hopefully get some newer XBox games. Bard's Tale was 39, Midnight Club 2 was 15, and there was a b1g1 sale on PS2 GH games ($15 a piece, or less, I think). They had quite a few XBox titles that I'd like.. I wouldn't use the store often though, since they don't usually get newer stuff in that often (I was suprised to see THUG 2, Halo 2 and Bard's Tale on the shelf). Almost all of their CD's are spotless. Good store. They even have complete NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD and Saturn games. It's crazy. Nothing that's worth anything or even worth having, but they're still there. They do credit by hand, so you have to use it right then. They have no computer to look stuff up.. he just looked and said "25". The guy was prepared to write my $2 credit down for me, but I didn't have him bother.

If I can score some cheap games, I could use this store and get some presents for fairly cheap.. that would be nice.

Their only exception to their PM is they dont match 24 hour / 1 day sales. I know this because I bought the indiana jones set, and a week later it was int he BF ad for about $15 less. It was a 2 day sale so they honored it.[/quote]

I didnt see that exlusion on their PM sign at Cust service. This Sears sale was a 1 day sale also and was honored, also on Back friday I always get PM'ed there even on half day and 1 day sales. Maybe I have been lucky but at my Walmart here in South Fla, I have never been refused a PM yet as to limitred sales or otherwise.

Well, I got up @ 6 and headed over to Sears @ 7 this morning. Get there & park on the corner of the building, where I can see two main entrances. At one, a large line has formed, but at the other, no one is there. Weird. So I sit in my car eyeing the line for any movement. I see 2 or 3 ppl go up to the door where no one else is. Then a few minutes later they go inside, and the line at the other door hasn't moved. :D

So I go in, and head back to electronics. There are a couple of other ppl there already, but they're asking about some camera that was on sale. I head over to the games - they've completely redesigned my store and now the games are actually sitting out where you can get to them (not in a case like they used to be). I scan over the games and don't see AC5 at all. I then flip through all of them, making sure it's not behind something else. Nothing. So either they just didn't have it, or they decided to avoid the whole misprint episode by pulling it. I didn't see a empty spot, but who knows.

So I head back home to wait for some more stores to open. I play some R&C:UYA for a bit, then decide to head out. I had no intention of trying Wal-Mart (because I hate going in there), but at the last minute changed my mind. Go to electronics, show them the ad & ask for a price match. The cashier asks me if they (Wal-Mart) have the game & how much they're selling it for, so I tell her. She starts looking at me like I'm trying to rob the place. She calls a manager, but while waiting talks to the other cashiers very loudly about how it's too big of a price diff. I comment to her that if it hadn't been a good deal, I wouldn't be going through the trouble.

Manager shows up, checks the ad out thoroughly and then tells another employee who has wandered up to do it. He actually has to tell her twice. She gets the game, lays it at the counter w/ my ad, and wanders off. Customer service is rocking today. So I proceed to try to get someone to check me out. Finally the second girl tells the first one that the manager said to do it. She looks over at the manager (who was talking to a cust. about a PS2 by this time) and says "Well, so-and-so said we couldn't price match when there was that big of a difference." The manager glares at her and replies, "Why not?" She shut up & rang up the game. :D

I then swung by TRU to try my luck again. No good there, they called Sears to see if they had it in stock. Why I would need a price match if the other store had the game in stock is beyond me, but I'm ok - one's all I need anyway. My friends should have gotten up at 7am, I say. :p

I swung by EB later this afternoon, and since I know the managers there they let me swap the game in for the bundle w/ the flight stick & just pay the difference.

And somewhere in all of that, I also picked up a $2 Final Fantasy Tactics Advance guide from Gamestop. Not a bad day at all, I say. :)

[quote name='damack'][quote name='Scorch']so I go out to the car, grab a few games for trade (Fever 04, NCAA 04, and X2: Wolverine's Revenge, still sealed, all three XBox).. and he looks at them for a second. EB would've given me like.. two bucks, if i'm lucky. This guy goes "credit or cash?" so I said credit. He then says "Hmm.. I'll give you 25 for all three."

[/quote]

Damn. You could create your own cottage industry buying from EB and trading in to that place.[/quote]

Scorch's game transport service. :lol:

I have a question for you CAGers. I undertand the social policy intact on this site. Hoarding = bad. I understand the idealogy behind it. But why do you people look upon trading in more favorably than selling on ebay? Isn't trading in the same exact thing, except for less cash? I don't understand it. My philosophy is, I'll buy every copy I can, sell them to CAGers who request them for the price I got it + the price of shipping + the price of my time (I dunno maybe 10%) and if no more CAGers want them, to ebay they will go. Why trade in > ebay?

[quote name='PhrostByte']I have a question for you CAGers. I undertand the social policy intact on this site. Hoarding = bad. I understand the idealogy behind it. But why do you people look upon trading in more favorably than selling on ebay? Isn't trading in the same exact thing, except for less cash? I don't understand it. My philosophy is, I'll buy every copy I can, sell them to CAGers who request them for the price I got it + the price of shipping + the price of my time (I dunno maybe 10%) and if no more CAGers want them, to ebay they will go. Why trade in > ebay?[/quote]

We try to help out other people on the site who didn't get to take advantage of the deal. Either way you're still getting what you want in exchange for what you'd like to get rid of. No Ebay listing fees is a plus too.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I have a question for you CAGers. I undertand the social policy intact on this site. Hoarding = bad. I understand the idealogy behind it. But why do you people look upon trading in more favorably than selling on ebay? Isn't trading in the same exact thing, except for less cash? I don't understand it. My philosophy is, I'll buy every copy I can, sell them to CAGers who request them for the price I got it + the price of shipping + the price of my time (I dunno maybe 10%) and if no more CAGers want them, to ebay they will go. Why trade in > ebay?[/quote]

I think some people don't like the hassle of ebay and its users. I know I don't.

I've only bought with the intention of trading once, and never in a sale like this. When it comes to a sale like this, I just buy a single copy, unless someone has asked me (or the collective CAG community) to pick one up for them. Even buying two copies can kill the ability to get any copies. If I've picked something up for someone, I use the same rule you have, price + tax + shipping + whatever. I never overbuy, since I don't want to deal with EBay hassles, too many problems with people trying to jack you.

Does anyone still have any left over to sell for cheap to this CAG? My Sears doesn't carry games of any kind.

Did better than expected in unexpected ways.

I got the Ace combat 5, plus Armed & Dangerous, Unreal Championship, and Ace Combat 4. They also had an original Xbox Live 12 Month Starter Kit marked down to $10. I can't use it currently but grabbed it on principle. My nephew will use it to extend his subscription and continue to regard me as unto a god.

They also had a nice Koss DVD player (progressive scan output) that supports all DIY formats for only $36 plus a $10 rebate. I was going to need one of those for a certain location soon so that filled out the trip nicely.

i went to sears at 9 pm saturday night and looked around... none of the $5 games were in sight.. and just as me and my friend were about to leave we saw a copy of A&D and Unreal Championship sitting on top of a washing machine.. so I scored those too so I'm happy. Anyone have a copy of AC5 that they'd be willing to sell? if you do PM me

[quote name='murcielago77']yup its on the list. if you waited until friday you could have gotten it at sears for 20 (assuming its the same one)[/quote]

I'll just get them to do a price protection when the day comes, or return it and buy it back. If the rebate isn't part of the BF price I should still be able to claim it with my existing receipt copy. So perhaps it'll end up being a $10 DVD player.

Sears can be so disorganized about some things. This store had the typical box of pink tagged markdown games out and a sign on top of the game cabinet plainly stating that pink tags got and additional 50% off of the marked price. But they wouldn't let me have 007:EON for the correct $10. The one real disappointment today.

[quote name='epobirs']Did better than expected in unexpected ways.

I got the Ace combat 5, plus Armed & Dangerous, Unreal Championship, and Ace Combat 4. They also had an original Xbox Live 12 Month Starter Kit marked down to $10. I can't use it currently but grabbed it on principle. My nephew will use it to extend his subscription and continue to regard me as unto a god.

They also had a nice Koss DVD player (progressive scan output) that supports all DIY formats for only $36 plus a $10 rebate. I was going to need one of those for a certain location soon so that filled out the trip nicely.[/quote]

deal of the day on that starter kit man, good job

[quote name='Scorch']For real.. after all the trouble I went through, I wouldn't mind a cheap copy.. lol[/quote]

I don't get what u mean you robbed Sears man, 7 copies of AC 5!!!

WOW after hearing some of these stories I am glad I went to Wal-mart at noon. The manager was on lunch and they were real busy. I think they wanted to argue with me but just wanted to get the line moving.

Ebay is flooding with AC5 now. I seller I checked lives 3 miles away from me. I guess he pricematched the hell out of BB or CC.

[quote name='Mishimaryu'][quote name='Scorch']For real.. after all the trouble I went through, I wouldn't mind a cheap copy.. lol[/quote]

I don't get what u mean you robbed Sears man, 7 copies of AC 5!!![/quote]

Um, that was Slidecage. I don't have any AC5's.

Ebay is flooding with AC5 now. I seller I checked lives 3 miles away from me. I guess he pricematched the hell out of BB or CC.

Which is why I don't want one to sell. Ebay hoarders are idiots.. they don't think. If the game's widely available at 4.99 and they have the "bright idea" to get some to sell on ebay, ten thousand other people will have the same idea, and the market will be flooded.

bread's done
Back