Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

Did this guy rip off the Alan Wake story for a movie, but call it something else:

Vanishing on 7th Street
Night has fallen on Detroit, Michigan. We don’t know why. We don’t know how. All that’s known is that the darkness holds certain death with its shadowy figures and hushed voices and the way people’s bodies disintegrate when they come into contact with it.
http://www.chud.com/29072/review-vanishing-on-7th-street/

I don't know if he particularly ripped off Alan Wake. There have been many pieces of fiction where darkness is the enemy and light is used as a defense, playing off of our primal fear of the dark.

[quote name='faceturd']Chubby, that was you like 15 pages back that I had to convince to keep playing right? :)[/QUOTE]

Ha! Yeah. :) You are my inspiration, Turd. (man, that sounded weird)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't know if he particularly ripped off Alan Wake. There have been many pieces of fiction where darkness is the enemy and light is used as a defense, playing off of our primal fear of the dark.[/QUOTE]

But look at the poster! Never before Alan Wake has such a well trodden storyline been told with a main character sporting a hoodie and tweed jacket! I call "foul"!

Maybe I should start getting the achievements done on this.

I know I hit that jukebox up twice, once at the beggining and once near the end, didn't get that one though. :/

[quote name='Amblix']Maybe I should start getting the achievements done on this.

I know I hit that jukebox up twice, once at the beggining and once near the end, didn't get that one though. :/
[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. You're doing it wrong. First, you put de lime in de coconut, then you drink 'em both up.

Seriously, tho, it sounds like you did it right. Check out the guide and forums at xbox360achievements.org. They have a good walkthrough and guide to each cheevo.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']No, no, no. You're doing it wrong. First, you put de lime in de coconut, then you drink 'em both up.

Seriously, tho, it sounds like you did it right. Check out the guide and forums at xbox360achievements.org. They have a good walkthrough and guide to each cheevo.[/QUOTE]

I had, it must have glitched.

I'll try it again when I do my second playthrough though. :)

At least this game is definitely worth a second playthrough. I NEVER play a game twice and I did with this one. Actually, multiple playthroughs. Good luck on that pesky achievement!

Sorry if this is an old issue but I'm having a noise problem with my 360. It only happens with Alan Wake but every time I boot it up my 360 sounds like a jet engine. So I'm kinda scared to play Alan Wake (and for the wrong reasons) which sucks since I really want to play this game. Is this a common problem?

Maybe install it to my hard drive?

[quote name='Rodimus']Sorry if this is an old issue but I'm having a noise problem with my 360. It only happens with Alan Wake but every time I boot it up my 360 sounds like a jet engine. So I'm kinda scared to play Alan Wake (and for the wrong reasons) which sucks since I really want to play this game. Is this a common problem?

Maybe install it to my hard drive?[/QUOTE]

Thats happened to me with multiple games. I usually get a disc error soon afterwards (Singularity, AssCreed 2 come to mind). I switched my 360 vertical for a few days and it started working better.

Man how fun was this game? From the reviews I read, I was under the impression this wasn't worth my time. Boy I was wrong. Been a fan of Remedy since the MP days and I really enjoyed Alan Wake.

I downloaded it on XBL and was really pleased with the presentation and pacing. I'm going to skip on the DLC and just wait for the inevitable sequel. Hopefully Max Payne 3 is released first though.

[quote name='Rodimus']Sorry if this is an old issue but I'm having a noise problem with my 360. It only happens with Alan Wake but every time I boot it up my 360 sounds like a jet engine. So I'm kinda scared to play Alan Wake (and for the wrong reasons) which sucks since I really want to play this game. Is this a common problem?

It's Alan Wake. For some reason, this game sounds like it's going to make the 360 explode... no idea why.

I've tried on 3 360s (two older model, one slim) and it's been that way every time. Either install it, or deal with the noise. Whatever the case, it's not a sign that there's a problem. fucking weird, sure, but not a problem.

That happens to me with a few other games, I never get any errors though.

I installed it and that seemed to fix the problem so no more lawnmower 360. I don't think I could've endured playing it with that noise going on. Not only was it distracting but it made me nervous. I felt like my 360 was about to explode.

Anyways I can't wait to get home later tonight and start playing.

[quote name='MadChedar0']Man how fun was this game? From the reviews I read, I was under the impression this wasn't worth my time. Boy I was wrong. Been a fan of Remedy since the MP days and I really enjoyed Alan Wake.

I downloaded it on XBL and was really pleased with the presentation and pacing. I'm going to skip on the DLC and just wait for the inevitable sequel. Hopefully Max Payne 3 is released first though.[/QUOTE]

The DLC directly ties into the story. The first one that came out kinda sucked, but the second one was quite good.

As others have mentioned, yes, Alan Wake tends to make a lot of noise in the disc drive. Unfortunately, some games simply have to spin faster than others. I am not a tech guy, but I am guessing it has to do with the assets it has to load. Remember that, initially, Alan Wake was an open-world game, and that many of the maps still retain some of the elements for it. That is why some of the distant scenery looks very detailed.

Alan Wake is awesome. It's funny cause I was too much of a pussy to play Dead Space, I was too tense It wasn't enjoyable. I was afraid Alan Wake would have the same effect but that wasn't the case. It's more of a thriller/mystery than a horror.

Loved this game so much. Finished it and the DLCs a few days ago. Been alone in the flat all week and played it at night with all the lights off. Such an amazing gaming experience. I'm not usual one who scares easily but this game shitted me up good and proper!

I got less affected as the game went on but the first half of the game had some great creepy moments. It would always make me delightfully freaked out when you reach a light area and the bulb suddenly goes out.

I can't remember which part of the game it was, but at one checkpoint I decided to stop because I was getting too tense. I hadn't noticed, but it had suddenly got ridiculously foggy outside, you could only see a couple of streetlights through the mist out the windows. Then I went to the bathroom and when I turned the light on the bulb blew! Shat my panties!

Bought this game on a whim because it was £15 at Play.com, and I'm so glad I did.

I'm aware that it was an under-appreciated game critically and commercially, but I'm pretty sure there will be a sequel.

I'm almost done with the core game. Just got to Chapter 6, planning on finishing it tonight. I have a free code for The Signal which I also plan on playing.

Out of curiosity how long is the DLC?

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm almost done with the core game. Just got to Chapter 6, planning on finishing it tonight. I have a free code for The Signal which I also plan on playing.

Out of curiosity how long is the DLC?[/QUOTE]

first time through, maybe an hour and a half

I feel bad for Alan Wake since it got snubbed so bad last year. I've been telling all my friends how good this game trying to garner more attention for it.

I will admit I'm a little lost in the story so after I finish it I'll be reading a synopsis. The concert fight was truely epic.

[quote name='faceturd']And so another comes into the light.[/QUOTE]

Haha, indeed!

Like a lot of people, since playing the game I've become a proper Alan Wake fanboy, reading all I can about it online, still thinking about the story, and trying to get everyone I know to try it.

Credit to Remedy for keeping AW linear and completely single player. It felt traditional and new at the same time.

If they were to sequel it seems they would either:

1. Quickly put it out using the same engine and just try to use most of what they already developed.

2. Take their time and probably not see it for a while.

I think if the sequel is confirmed, it won't take them very long. They've said they already have the story mapped out. Max Payne took about 5 years as well, but the sequel only took 18 months.

Also, for any UK Xboxers, the game is £13.23 at Amazon at the moment. If you've not bought it but are tempted, I think this is a must own game that you won't want to trade in afterward.

Just finished the game and both DLCs; I actually enjoyed the Writer DLC more than the base game. It broke away from "reality" and the environments were significantly more interesting as a result.

The ferris wheel portion is easily one of my favorite gaming memories in recent years.

[quote name='faceturd']If they were to sequel it seems they would either:

1. Quickly put it out using the same engine and just try to use most of what they already developed.

2. Take their time and probably not see it for a while.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'll take long if they do a sequel mainly because the "take your time, do it right" method didn't equate to a product that was commercially successful. I think (meaning, i pray daily) that we'll see something about AW2 at this years E3.

Just got this tonight from Amazon, having recently played and finished Dead Space 2, I didn't expect to be spooked, but after chapter 1, holy corn shit, this is spooky as hell... I love it!

I played this when it first came out, I didnt care for it. I also think i didnt give it a fair shake. Reason: Red dead redemption.

From what i played of this game, i didnt like the environments all being the same, and to me it was scary. maybe thats cause dead space rules my shit.

Anyways, i bought it off amazon on the cheap and i will be starting over on this game. hope i enjoy it more this time around.

I bought The Writer DLC when it was on sale, and I just bought the game guide (I never buy game guides, but it sounded different and was only 98 cents including shipping from Amazon), but have yet to purchase the game. For whatever reason, I have $15 dollars in my mind as the buy it price and it hasn't reached that yet.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Just got this tonight from Amazon, having recently played and finished Dead Space 2, I didn't expect to be spooked, but after chapter 1, holy corn shit, this is spooky as hell... I love it![/QUOTE]

Ha! Funny because I'm too scared to play DS2, but I ate up every second of AW. Enjoy, there are some good suspenseful parts to the game.

I was also too much of a pussy to play through Dead Space. Alan Wake on the other hand I had no problem with. It's got a some jumpy moment but it's more psychological than OMG WTF IS THAT!!! The atmosphere in Alan Wake is probably it's strongest point. You're in the woods most the time but it never feels old or rehashed.

Playing through The Signal now. Not too bad considering I got it for free. Defiantly harder than the normal game.

Double Post Apology

I just beat all the DLC. What an awesome game. I just had to post my appreciation for this game. More people need to play this.

Yeah, the character models aren't very good, but the backgrounds look amazing.

I loved the game though, good story and great atmosphere. If a sequel comes out hopefully they'll improve the character graphics and add some variety in enemies.

If you get a chance to check out the Illuminated art book, it's striking how good the character models are compared to the actors. It's eerie. It's an uncanny valley thing that the CG models ran into.

But the atmosphere, that's second to none, my friends.

Yeah, Alan's wife looked hideous.

[quote name='faceturd']Are there any numbers on how much sold?[/QUOTE]

According to VG Cartz it has sold just under 1 million units worldwide. Not a god awful showing but not particularly well either considering all the hype and time spent making the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was amazed to see that Vanquish pushed 720,000... so it got me thinking what really happened with Alan Wake sales? Such a shame that this missed the mark in some ways.

damn its been a while and i decided to do some achievement hunting and playing this game again. i really like the commentary videos that pop up those are sweet. i cant believe how much junk i missed on my first play through for collectibles. i jumped back into chapter 2 and found (4) Thermos, (2) manuscript pages, (1) sign, (1) weapon chest (1) can pyrimd.......thats all in just one chapter replay.

Same here. I traded in my regular edition after I finished the main story. I picked up a dirt cheap collectors edition and loaded in the commentary videos too. Played through the game again and picked up every collectible I missed on my playthrough. All that's left is to get the achievements on Episode 2 and I've got them all.

I just finished this game and both DLCs, ordered it way back on Black Friday for cheap along with getting The Writer for 200 MSP if I recall?

Anyway, playing it felt like work to me. I didn't find it very thrilling, or the story that great, and the gameplay seemed to trudge through too many of the same "oh dang I'm surrounded by shovel dudes in the woods!" moments.

Not saying it was bad, but I am glad to turn a profit by trading it back to Amazon for $16 today!

[quote name='bsmiff']I just finished this game and both DLCs, ordered it way back on Black Friday for cheap along with getting The Writer for 200 MSP if I recall?

Anyway, playing it felt like work to me. I didn't find it very thrilling, or the story that great, and the gameplay seemed to trudge through too many of the same "oh dang I'm surrounded by shovel dudes in the woods!" moments.

Not saying it was bad, but I am glad to turn a profit by trading it back to Amazon for $16 today![/QUOTE]

different strokes for different folks, i personally felt like this was one of the best games of 2010:). i think i might have to replay it soon

I'm finally working my way through it. Glancing at my achievements it looks like this:

Chapter 1: May 2010
Chapter 2: July 2010
Chapter 3: April 2011
Chapter 4: April 2011

Needless to say it didn't really grab me either, however I do like the story, setting and atmosphere(reminds me of Condemned). I think it's the gameplay that is lacking for me. Here, let's take a suspenseful game, have you on the edge of your seat and give you 500 collectibles to find. lol Ooh, a coffee thermos on the side of the road, let me stop and get of my car to grab it. rotfl The shine light and shoot(wash, rinse, repeat) mechanic is okay, but there should really be more to do. The graphics are sorely lacking as well. I know this was originally developed for the xbox and moved over to the 360, and it definitely looks it.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']different strokes for different folks, i personally felt like this was one of the best games of 2010:). i think i might have to replay it soon[/QUOTE]

Yep indeed. It did have some really good aspects. I'm glad I got the DLC, especially The Writer, as it added a lot more surreal stuff which is what I was hoping for from the get-go.

[quote name='Corvin'] The graphics are sorely lacking as well. I know this was originally developed for the xbox and moved over to the 360, and it definitely looks it.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhh. wat?

bread's done
Back