Amazon Anime Sale.

I enjoyed the crap out of Champloo. I really like those different type series. It doesn't hold a candle to Bebop, but it's also reallllly different.

Picked up Claymore and Basilisk....got my eyes trained real hard on Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood....just wish it wasn't in 5 parts....

Just picked up Welcome to the NHK and Samurai Champloo. To bad they didn't have Baccano! I have been trying to get that one for awhile now but the cheapest I saw it was $69.99

Why isn't Spice and Wolf season 2 in a Blu Ray case? That's kind of annoying...

Might pick up Samurai Champloo to own, I'd also love to have YYH if I didn't already own the DVDs... oh well.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Why isn't Spice and Wolf season 2 in a Blu Ray case? That's kind of annoying...

Might pick up Samurai Champloo to own, I'd also love to have YYH if I didn't already own the DVDs... oh well.[/QUOTE]
It's cause Season 2 includes DVDs within the same case as the Blu-ray discs. At the time, Season 1 wasn't out on Blu-ray yet. It only came out a little after, so it was mainly made for those who had already bought the first on DVD.

As for YYH, the video quality's vastly improved over the DVD version. They used the Japanese Blu-ray remasters.

Thanks for the help everyone! Think I'm going to pick up Samurai Champloo. I would get FMA but since the original isn't on sale I'll hold off on it for now. Thanks again!

[quote name='abhinav']I didn't know Samurai Champloo was on Netflix streaming, I'm gonna pass on buying the blus for now because of that.[/QUOTE]

I'm overloaded with Netflix anime at the moment in my instant queue:

Claymore
Basilisk
Eden of the East
Samurai 7
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Last Exile
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Trigun
Gungrave
Heroic Age

And a whole bunch I haven't even bothered to add since I have such a huge back log....it's ridiculous....

Great deals. I grabbed Witchblade, Burst Angel, and Basilisk (for now).

I've heard mixed things about Claymore's video quality: that it iss really lacking and not worth the upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I'll consider getting that as well as Gungrave and maybe Chobits. I've also read a lot of great things about Eden of the East.

This holiday season has been really rough on my wallet so far!

Can anyone recommend me a series based on my tastes?

I really enjoyed FMA:B, Death Note, Fist of the North Star, Rurouni Kenshin, and Yuyu Hakusho.

I know it seems all over the place.. But if you could make any kind of recommendation I'd really appreciate it!

[quote name='kyrhon']Can anyone recommend me a series based on my tastes?

I really enjoyed FMA:B, Death Note, Fist of the North Star, Rurouni Kenshin, and Yuyu Hakusho.

I know it seems all over the place.. But if you could make any kind of recommendation I'd really appreciate it![/QUOTE]

Witch Hunter Robin.

[quote name='Zaku77']I found Robin extremely boring, and couldn't even finish it. I'd suggest watching an episode or two first.[/QUOTE]

Of course a brotherhood fan would have a problem with WHR. :D He sat through Death Note, so I figured he is patient.

[quote name='slowdive21']Of course a brotherhood fan would have a problem with WHR. :D He sat through Death Note, so I figured he is patient.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty patient with anime. Unfortunately, this isn't on sale... :cry:

Between Champloo and Samurai 7, what do you guys recommend? Those seem to be the only ones that seem interesting to me and on sale right now.

Can't really go wrong with either of those, get both :D

If I did have to suggest one based on your tastes (which are like mine) I'd say go with Champloo

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can't really go wrong with either of those, get both :D

If I did have to suggest one based on your tastes (which are like mine) I'd say go with Champloo[/QUOTE]

I just might have to..
I noticed a lot of anime has been added to Netflix Instant...

Are these English dubbed? Or have they finally wised up and included Japanese Audio with English subs?

[quote name='kyrhon']I'm pretty patient with anime. Unfortunately, this isn't on sale... :cry:

Between Champloo and Samurai 7, what do you guys recommend? Those seem to be the only ones that seem interesting to me and on sale right now.[/QUOTE]

Champloo is a steal at that price. Well worth the money, one of my personal favorites.

[quote name='antlp89']Champloo is a steal at that price. Well worth the money, one of my personal favorites.[/QUOTE]

Curse you CAG! I'm spending money left and right the past few days...

But then once I start watching I'll be thanking ya'll. :D

Champloo is definitely better, but Samurai 7 is also really quite good, so I would say both if you can. The tone is also worlds apart, so it doesn't really need to be a one or the other type thing. lol

[quote name='Zaku77']Champloo is definitely better, but Samurai 7 is also really quite good, so I would say both if you can. The tone is also worlds apart, so it doesn't really need to be a one or the other type thing. lol[/QUOTE]

I just might have to get both haha.
I'm guessing that Samurai 7 has a bit more darker tone than Champloo?

[quote name='kyrhon']I just might have to get both haha.
I'm guessing that Samurai 7 has a bit more darker tone than Champloo?[/QUOTE]

This may oversimplify, but if you like Hip-Hop and want something lighter/more repetitive, watch Champloo. (Geared towards a US audience)

If you want something darker that is deeper, go with Samurai 7. (Geared towards a Japanese audience)

Both are decent choices and it more depends on your mood.

[quote name='kyrhon']I just might have to..
I noticed a lot of anime has been added to Netflix Instant...

Are these English dubbed? Or have they finally wised up and included Japanese Audio with English subs?[/QUOTE]

All the ones I've seen have been english dubbed. I don't mind watching some anime in English but I would love to have the option to switch.

I actually just started watching Princess Tutu through Netflix based on the recommendations mentioned here, but the main character's English voice (Luci Christian) is also the same as Tenma from School Rumble, and I can't stop thinking this is Tenma when listening to her. Maybe I'll adapt, or the differences in the characters themselves will allow me to see past the voicing.

[quote name='ssjmichael']All the ones I've seen have been english dubbed. I don't mind watching some anime in English but I would love to have the option to switch.

I actually just started watching Princess Tutu through Netflix based on the recommendations mentioned here, but the main character's English voice (Luci Christian) is also the same as Tenma from School Rumble, and I can't stop thinking this is Tenma when listening to her. Maybe I'll adapt, or the differences in the characters themselves will allow me to see past the voicing.[/QUOTE]

lol, another reason I can't watch dubbed anime (besides the horrible quality).. is that 99% of the dubbing for the studios are done by 5 people.

[quote name='wormraper']lol, another reason I can't watch dubbed anime (besides the horrible quality).. is that 99% of the dubbing for the studios are done by 5 people.[/QUOTE]

That's an exaggeration. But really, if you actually spoke Japanese, you'd realize there's a similar overlap in the Japanese dubs as well.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's an exaggeration. But really, if you actually spoke Japanese, you'd realize there's a similar overlap in the Japanese dubs as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree; that's a pretty hefty exaggeration, and I've found that you don't even need to know Japanese to notice the overlap of Japanese voice actors — it's based on how much you watch in a given language. The more shows I watch in Japanese (due to watching most current shows each season), the easier it is for me to recognize voice actors. I may not know all of their names, but I sure can recognize their voice. And it can lead to the same thing ssjmichael is referring to; sometimes it's a little jarring to hear someone's voice who I recognize as a particular character come out of the mouth of a different character. It's like with all of Rie Kugimiya's roles; her voice usually sounds like Taiga from Toradora, Happy from Fairy Tail, or some combination of the two whenever I hear her in other roles, like Aria in Aria the Scarlet Ammo.

Basically, there's nothing wrong with English dubs concerning actors being used in different shows.

lol, of course it was an exaggeration, but it's a LOT more prevalent in the U.S. dubbings vs. japanese languages

at least we've moved on from having 3 voice actors play all the characters in a single SHOW

[quote name='slowdive21']This may oversimplify, but if you like Hip-Hop and want something lighter/more repetitive, watch Champloo. (Geared towards a US audience)

If you want something darker that is deeper, go with Samurai 7. (Geared towards a Japanese audience)

Both are decent choices and it more depends on your mood.[/QUOTE]

In that case, I think I'm going to go ahead and jump on Samurai 7. I'll definitely check out Champloo later down the road though.

Thanks!

[quote name='wormraper']lol, of course it was an exaggeration, but it's a LOT more prevalent in the U.S. dubbings vs. japanese languages

at least we've moved on from having 3 voice actors play all the characters in a single SHOW[/QUOTE]

Sigh.

[quote name='Razzuel']It's like with all of Rie Kugimiya's roles; her voice usually sounds like Taiga from Toradora, Happy from Fairy Tail, or some combination of the two whenever I hear her in other roles, like Aria in Aria the Scarlet Ammo.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Al from Fullmetal Alchemist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgH_QNvYghU

[quote name='Razzuel']Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's gotten a lot better on both sides in recent years. I still remember playing 7 Degrees of Megumi at a con in the mid-90s. :lol:

[quote name='wormraper']lol, of course it was an exaggeration, but it's a LOT more prevalent in the U.S. dubbings vs. japanese languages[/QUOTE]
No, I gotta agree with the others. It's about just the same on both ends. You just don't think it if you either don't understand the language or don't pay attention to the vocals. A huge chunk of Japan's voice actors have been in virtually everything. Sometimes to the point where they get pigeonholed into playing characters with similar traits all the time. Rie Kugimiya is a good example, as mentioned before. Hell, look at Norio Wakamoto's resume.

On another note, Samurai 7 and Samurai Champloo can't really be compared to one another. Champloo's more of different take on that era with hip-hop spins, whereas Samurai 7 is based off the Japanese film, Seven Samurai (which I recommend everyone watch).

I have to agree, the 5 actor voices turns me off sometimes especially when it's the voice of a character I really like, like Kenichi whose voice is in almost every single anime on funimation channel.

After much internal conflict and debate, I finally decided what all I should get. Ended up getting Claymore, Gungrave and Samurai Champloo. Feels like a huge weight is lifted from my shoulders when I placed the order *whew*. Should be set on anime for a good while now.

Good choices. The Claymore anime was fantastic. Skip the last couple episodes and keep going with the manga when it's over!

That is the save edition. The wrapping should have had a little save logo on it. There is no save stuff anywhere on the actual product though, just the wrapper.

[quote name='slowdive21']The sale reminded me that I have a series I wanted to watch. I decided to look it up before I opened it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaze-No-Yojim...FUI6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322933998&sr=8-2

I'm pretty sure I bought it at big lots for $6 (maybe $10) when they had that huge Anime shipment (4 years ago?).

Anyone know if there is a legal place to watch it?[/QUOTE]

If you haven't started it yet, you should crack it open asap. I bought that series as it was initially released and liked it a lot.

I think he meant he wants to sell it, cause it's sealed, and watch it streamed...

Then again, I know him from the garage sale threads.
So actually, I know that's what he means =P

bread's done
Back