Amazon Anime Sale.

[quote name='ssjmichael']

For all the hate that Netflix's streaming content gets (from myself as well) they've really stepped up their anime section in the past year or so

Here's a partial list of what's on Netflix (usually the full run too):

School Rumble
Princess Tutu
Eden of the East
Initial D
Baccano
Clannad
Trigun
Naruto
Gunslinger Girl
Kenichi
Full Metal Panic!
Bleach
Highschool of the Dead
Spice and Wolf
Soul Eater
Count of Monte Cristo
Robotech[/QUOTE]

The selection that Canadian Netflix has in terms of anime pales in comparison. Out of those you listed we only get:

Gunslinger Girl
Full Metal Panic! (only The Second Raid)
Soul Eater
Robotech

I would kill to have that selection:drool:

Man, I was pumped when I checked the items I have saved on Amazon for any price changes and saw that Gungrave dropped to $19. I have been keeping an eye on it since it came out and it has been $28.99 or occasionally it would go up to $29.99 for a day or two and drop back down a dollar.

Anyways, bought it immediately.

[quote name='Zaku77']hmv.com has a blu-ray steelbook of akira. I'm going to import it. It looks quite nice![/QUOTE]

I think that's region locked

Is it? That's too bad. Most blus aren't. Oh well, it's cheap enough to get a US disk for the awesome steelbook anyway.

Yeah it looks really cool, might do the same one day. I do plan to get a BD drive on my computer one of these days, you can switch Blu regions with those anytime as it's software controlled.

[quote name='Kotomine']So.. many.. deals! *passes out*[/QUOTE]
Never has an icon picture on the side match the comment so well.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Been watching FMA:B through Netflix. They have an HD feed too which looks great, though I'm sure not as good as a Blu, but good enough for me :D

For all the hate that Netflix's streaming content gets (from myself as well) they've really stepped up their anime section in the past year or so

Here's a partial list of what's on Netflix (usually the full run too):

School Rumble
Princess Tutu
Eden of the East
Initial D
Baccano
Clannad
Trigun
Naruto
Gunslinger Girl
Kenichi
Full Metal Panic!
Bleach
Highschool of the Dead
Spice and Wolf
Soul Eater
Count of Monte Cristo
Robotech[/QUOTE]
Adding on to that list:

Ah! My Goddess
Angel Beats
Blue Gender
Elfen Lied
Excel Saga
Fruits Basket
Fullmetal Alchemist (the original)
Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (as well as the GitS movie)
Gurren Lagann
Monster
Now and Then, Here and There
Samurai Champloo
The Slayers

Netflix has really become my alternative for streaming anime if either FUNimation, Viz or Crunchyroll doesn't have them available for streaming.

In for Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, though I would buy everything if I could O_O Very temped to get FMA:B, but I'm just not willing to pay for 5 sets, not yet at least >.

[quote name='skullflame']In for Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, though I would buy everything if I could O_O Very temped to get FMA:B, but I'm just not willing to pay for 5 sets, not yet at least >.

[quote name='Zaku77']These go until Dec 23rd just for a heads up.[/QUOTE]
Can you confirm all these deals last till then? i blew all my extra cash on all the black friday shit so i can't pick up all this stuff till i get next week.

[quote name='Zaku77']Any comments on Ghost Hunt?[/QUOTE]

It was an okay one. I didn't think it was scary, then again I don't find any anime to have a horror feel to it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Isn't the Blu-ray of FLCL just an incredibly obvious upscale and not a true HD conversion?[/QUOTE]
From what I've heard about the FLCL Blu-Ray release of it, yeah its an obvious upscale but was made in SD so this is probably the best looking FLCL out there yet.I might grab it anyway.

Edit:Heres a blu-ray review of it I found might be worth a look, the picture didn't get a great rating but does mention its probably the best we'll ever get.

I do not doubt, at all, that this Blu-ray release may very well be the best 'FLCL' has looked. It's a dated show, already, and it is transfered from SD sources, upscaled, if you would. I also won't say that this is a "bad" upscale. That seems ridiculous. Rather, I think there are a few other reasons as to why this release earned the score I'm giving it, and I don't think content overload on a single disc is one of those problems, as the three audio tracks (two lossless stereo mixes and a commentary) shouldn't take up that much space compared to a single lossless 5.1 version, and the extras aren't all that lengthy.
FUNimation's 1080p AVC MPEG-4 encode in the show's natural 1.33:1 ratio has as many, if not more, distracting moments than there are ones that seem fine, and the key component is movement. Lines waver like you wouldn't believe on this release. A simple pan can turn the entire picture into a very slight strobe, with lines that can pulse, or move like an animated ocean wave, rippling through an outline, making sure it doesn't stay solid. Some moments even look like the film is seen through extreme heat, like a motorcycle's exhaust or an intense fire, creating a wobble.
But that's not all. Some random thick halos, hefty banding, obvious artifacts (including ones that make skin tones go purple), and extreme stairsteps compound the issue at random. If that weren't enough, there are some random very blurred splotches that make it seem as though some DNR was employed at some point to try to fix a few problem spots. The manga panel sequence in the first episode, as awesome as it is, has an effect similar to a moire, when it's merely a pan on a dot gradient. It's seriously bizarre.
Still, I doubt there has been a home video release of this show that looks any better. Colors can be stunning, a few flares are breathtaking, and there is a nice obvious bump in finer, smaller details. I will not lie and say this release looks amazing. It doesn't. In fact, it's really not pretty at all, but in all fairness, it never was, and it never will be. Sometimes good enough simply is as good as it will get.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4794/flcl.html

I liked Ghost Hunt, the best way I'd describe it would be like if the X-Files was in like an anime form and more about the super natural.Its slow at times,not that much of an action show thought but more about like part detective/ghost show with lots of the arcs taking from around 2-5 episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Capocci 007']Can anyone comment on Welcome to the NHK?[/QUOTE]

I loved watching this show---if you're into "Slice of Life" anime/manga, this is a Must-See. For $10.49, I might pick this one up :)

[quote name='Tsukento']Heads up, some Cyber Monday deals. At around 4:30am to 8:30am PST, you can get..

-Evangelion 1.11 You Are Not Alone (Blu-ray) for $8.49
-FLCL (Blu-ray) for $12.99
-Pokemon Season 1 Box Set for $12.49
-Trigun the Complete Series for $14.99[/QUOTE]

Picked up Trigun, FLCL, and Eva. Thanks!

[quote name='Zaku77']hmv.com has a blu-ray steelbook of akira. I'm going to import it. It looks quite nice![/QUOTE]

Is it region free? I might consider getting it as well.

[quote name='Tsukento']Heads up, some Cyber Monday deals. At around 4:30am to 8:30am PST, you can get..

-Evangelion 1.11 You Are Not Alone (Blu-ray) for $8.49
-FLCL (Blu-ray) for $12.99
-Pokemon Season 1 Box Set for $12.49
-Trigun the Complete Series for $14.99[/QUOTE]

Missed out FLCL Box Set. Just home from work! :(

[quote name='Masterkyo']Missed out FLCL Box Set. Just home from work! :([/QUOTE]

Same here (working at 3:30am is fun!). I put myself on the waitlist and then it said the opportunity for me to buy it had elapsed a few minutes later. Confused the heck outta me.

So now I can't add it at all again and I'm getting the runaround with the customer service rep. Oh well. I'm sure by the time my backlog's finished it'll have gone on sale at least one more time.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Going to pick up the count of monte cristo. $10.99 is a steal[/QUOTE]
Oh thank god this is only on DVD. For a second I was going to curse you for making me buy another set I don't need lol.

FU Amazon for dropping these sets so low. Thought I got some great deals this summer, but noooooooooooo.

Grabbed Trigun (even though I own all the original release DVDs from 1998-99?) just couldn't pass up getting the whole series in one $14.99 deal when each of the original DVDs were like $30 each back in the day... wow. Also grabbed FLCL since it was CHEEEEP!

Almost missed out this morning! Turned my alarm off then went back to sleep, somehow woke up an hour later and remembered. Trigun was 99% claimed but I managed to grab it just in time! (Gungrave Blu-Ray as well).

Having some trouble deciding which one (or two maybe?) to get. I'm still an anime newbie (only have watched Fate/Stay Night to completion and almost finished with Death Note). I've seen various other anime as well but usually just an episode or two or a movie. Like are any of these a must watch/own?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The whole thing isn't on sale, but that series is just fantastic. Although, if you watch it now, you may end up disliking what you watch afterwards :3

[quote name='Zaku77']Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The whole thing isn't on sale, but that series is just fantastic. Although, if you watch it now, you may end up disliking what you watch afterwards :3[/QUOTE]

Hehe well I might hold off on that one for now then, thanks for the quick reply.

[quote name='Kotomine']Hehe well I might hold off on that one for now then, thanks for the quick reply.[/QUOTE]

I know I am in the minority, but I prefer the regular FMA. I think brotherhood lacks the emotion and pacing of the regular series (at least the first 10 or so episodes). I would watch the regular series before you watch brotherhood. It is by far one of my favorite series of all time.

Had Gungrave Blu and Witchblade Blu in cart the past few weeks expecting something like this, so was quick to act when the price drops hit. Then added in Welcome to the NHK. Other top picks like the Gunslinger Girl and Spice and Wolf seasons and Claymore (DVD) I already have. Might pick up some others as the month progresses.

[quote name='slowdive21']I know I am in the minority, but I prefer the regular FMA. I think brotherhood lacks the emotion and pacing of the regular series (at least the first 10 or so episodes). I would watch the regular series before you watch brotherhood. It is by far one of my favorite series of all time.[/QUOTE]

Definitely the minority, but I think I know why. Have you finished it? I agree that the original series does a better job of setting up the foundation, but as soon as it starts diverging and going off the manga's path it becomes so ridiculously inferior. If you have only watched a bit of it, then you're missing out on the full experience.

[quote name='Zaku77']Definitely the minority, but I think I know why. Have you finished it? I agree that the original series does a better job of setting up the foundation, but as soon as it starts diverging and going off the manga's path it becomes so ridiculously inferior. If you have only watched a bit of it, then you're missing out on the full experience.[/QUOTE]

I watched up to episode 26, I think. It all blends together since the beginning is a recap of sorts (I now it is the manga storyline).

[quote name='Kotomine']Having some trouble deciding which one (or two maybe?) to get. I'm still an anime newbie (only have watched Fate/Stay Night to completion and almost finished with Death Note). I've seen various other anime as well but usually just an episode or two or a movie. Like are any of these a must watch/own?

Any help is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE] fma brotherhood is one of my favorites because of the story and the english voice cast. yuyu hakusho is a great fighting anime, and is one the only ones i will watch dubbed because the funimation cast is that great.

[quote name='Kotomine']Having some trouble deciding which one (or two maybe?) to get. I'm still an anime newbie (only have watched Fate/Stay Night to completion and almost finished with Death Note). I've seen various other anime as well but usually just an episode or two or a movie. Like are any of these a must watch/own?

Any help is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo, and Fullmetal Alchemist (the original series and Brotherhood) are all must-owns. That said, I wouldn't watch Brotherhood without seeing the original first, since the first series handles some of the early material *so* much better than Brotherhood.

I swear, I only buy anime around November and December. It's cheap, I buy a ton of it, and it easily gives me enough to watch until the next year.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo, and Fullmetal Alchemist (the original series and Brotherhood) are all must-owns. That said, I wouldn't watch Brotherhood without seeing the original first, since the first series handles some of the early material *so* much better than Brotherhood.[/QUOTE]

I never liked Samurai Champloo... maybe because I went in expecting a lot more from the Cowboy Bebop people. Sucks too, because I've been told more than once that I look exactly like Jin. Would be so easy to cosplay.

bread's done
Back