Amazon Anime Sale.

Ended up ordering Spice and Wolf season's 1 and 2 on blu. Was going to order more anime, but Amazon put the first two seasons of BBC's Merlin on sale for $14.99. :D

End up picked up Dragon Ball Box 5 & box 6 and Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU on blu-ray for cheap . Still waiting for Box 4 & 7 on Sale ;)

[quote name='Masterkyo']End up picked up Dragon Ball Box 5 & box 6 and Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU on blu-ray for cheap . Still waiting for Box 4 & 7 on Sale ;)[/QUOTE]

might not wanna wait too long on them... rightstuf has delisted part 4.

[quote name='Afflicted']might not wanna wait too long on them... rightstuf has delisted part 4.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too! what happened with Dragon Box 4 ??? OOP or what ??

[quote name='Masterkyo']I noticed that too! what happened with Dragon Box 4 ??? OOP or what ??[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the Dragon Boxes are all out of print. Buy them while you can.

[quote name='milleniumbugx']IIRC, the Dragon Boxes are all out of print. Buy them while you can.[/QUOTE]

After seeing Amazon's price on DB7 jump from $31 to $49, I took the plunge and bought it at a local store of mine for $38... kills me since I paid only $20-25 each for all the others.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I noticed that too! what happened with Dragon Box 4 ??? OOP or what ??[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Funimation said in a recent podcast(ANNcast) that the Dragon Boxes are limited edition. Once they're gone, they're gone. It's the regular orange box season sets of DBZ that they're keeping in print.

So if you're wanting them, now or soon would be the best time to get them. Because they're probably going to get above MSRP for them once the stock is completely gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Havokscry']Can anyone speak for Redline? I noticed that amazon has it for pre-order for $19.99 on blu.

http://www.amazon.com/Redline-Blu-r...1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326161708&sr=1-1[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen all of it, but what I saw was very frenetic. It's very colorful and very fast paced, but somewhat easy to follow. There's a bit of topless nudity (not much) if you like to avoid such things.

The part that I saw felt a lot more like an HD version of some of the early 80s animated movies than it did anime.

I watched Redline online and preordered on amazon, its made by madhouse spend like 7 years in making and story like speed racer and love story. really cool stuff if you asked me and very reccomended if you like racing movies and must own in blu ray cause i doubt you can catch all the details in dvd....

Dragon Box Seven is back in stock for $31.99

I passed on it the first time hoping it would be cheaper, but then I heard all the OOP stuff, so second time around I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it while I can.

Well I watched Monte Cristo that I got from the sale. I must say it might be the best most beautiful anime ever. Wow I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece like that, I expected it to be good, but that was phenominal. Wow.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Well I watched Monte Cristo that I got from the sale. I must say it might be the best most beautiful anime ever. Wow I wasn't expecting it to be a masterpiece like that, I expected it to be good, but that was phenominal. Wow.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It was very unique and great anime adaptation. Another anime adaptation based on a book that I watched a while back is Romeo x Juliet. I thought it was good in my opinion and it was an interesting concept. Same story from the book, but a little different. Also animes based on books are fun to watch too.

[quote name='TKtheknight']I agree. It was very unique and great anime adaptation. Another anime adaptation based on a book that I watched a while back is Romeo x Juliet. I thought it was good in my opinion and it was an interesting concept. Same story from the book, but a little different. Also animes based on books are fun to watch too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen Romeo x Juliet but now it's on my radar.

Anyone know a place that sells akira region:A bluray at decent price? I am looking and amazon is the only place that has the region:A below $50. I really dont want to by a region b, and I will probably end of getting the rerelease of the dvd comming out if I cant find a decent price on it on bluray.
I

[quote name='Capocci 007']Thanks for the heads up, I haven't seen Romeo x Juliet but now it's on my radar.[/QUOTE]

Gonzo does Romeo and Juliet in a fantasy setting on a floating continent. 'tis very epic and highly watchable.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Anyone know a place that sells akira region:A bluray at decent price? I am looking and amazon is the only place that has the region:A below $50. I really dont want to by a region b, and I will probably end of getting the rerelease of the dvd comming out if I cant find a decent price on it on bluray.
I[/QUOTE]

i wish. zavvi has the collectors edition region b blu-ray for like $18 shipped. sucks that blurays aren't all region free.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']i wish. zavvi has the collectors edition region b blu-ray for like $18 shipped. sucks that blurays aren't all region free.[/QUOTE]

thnaks for the suggestion, I love the look of the steel book, might have to get it at that price since I usually only use my ps3 anyway.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Anyone have an opinion on any of the following: Chaos;Head, Princess Resurrection, or Caanan?[/QUOTE]

I've only seen Chaos Head [most reviews I saw were bad] and I may be in the minority but I personally enjoyed it overall.

[quote name='Puppet Master']I've only seen Chaos Head [most reviews I saw were bad] and I may be in the minority but I personally enjoyed it overall.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. The only reviews I read were from Amazon which only had 10 of them, and it was about 50/50 in terms of good/bad.

I was thinking about picking the series up. I'll camelcamelcamel it to see the cheapest it goes for.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Anyone have an opinion on any of the following: Chaos;Head, Princess Resurrection, or Caanan?[/QUOTE]I thought Canaan was just OK, worth watching on netflix instant streaming, but don't know if it's worth buying unless you find it at a really good price.

I haven't watched Chaos;head, but I picked it up from Rightstuf in the bundle with Gantz and Boccano!, sold the latter two for like $55 before fees. Ended up basically paying about $20 for it.

Don't spend $40-50 on it is my point.

[quote name='Capocci 007']Anyone have an opinion on any of the following: Chaos;Head, Princess Resurrection, or Caanan?[/QUOTE]

I thought Chaos head and Princess Resurrection were okay but I watched princess resurection on netflix and never really needed to watch it again, and Chaos head was kinda the same way except I don't remember as much about it after watching it.

I recently finished FUNimation's Chaos;Head a while back and I enjoyed it, but the ending felt rushed to me. Overall it was good. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the boxset though. I'm sure it will drop down eventually.

[quote name='TKtheknight']I recently finished FUNimation's Chaos;Head a while back and I enjoyed it, but the ending felt rushed to me. Overall it was good. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the boxset though. I'm sure it will drop down eventually.[/QUOTE]

It's actually $30.99 right now. It includes both DVD and Blu Ray versions.

[quote name='TKtheknight']I recently finished FUNimation's Chaos;Head a while back and I enjoyed it, but the ending felt rushed to me. Overall it was good. I wouldn't pay over $50 for the boxset though. I'm sure it will drop down eventually.[/QUOTE]

Chaos;Head is one of those series where the source material really shines in terms of the adaptation. I didn't mind the series, and went ahead and bought it from amazon once I noticed it had gone down to $30.99, but the VN really outshines the adaptation. The last half of the series follows its own story, and doesn't capture the charm the original VN held.

It's an okay series, worth getting the BD/DVD for $30, but not my favorite.

got dbz 1.1 bluray for $16. Wanted to see how it looks. Since I only have the first four orange bricks, I might just buy these blu rays when they hit around $15.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']got dbz 1.1 bluray for $16. Wanted to see how it looks. Since I only have the first four orange bricks, I might just buy these blu rays when they hit around $15.[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it is. I never bought any DBZ stuff until Kai. I have all the DBZ Kais on Bluray. I thought DBZ 1.1, but wasn't unsure if I should get it or just stick with Kai.

[quote name='TKtheknight']Let me know how it is. I never bought any DBZ stuff until Kai. I have all the DBZ Kais on Bluray. I thought DBZ 1.1, but wasn't unsure if I should get it or just stick with Kai.[/QUOTE]

I like the new orange blurays but I have considered going back for kai just because I like some of the improvements to the series but I still can't quite get used to the changed voices.

just got 1.1 and wow! did a comparison of them and the orange bricks and the quality is a lot better. My only qualm is that they only come with 17 episodes. My buy price for these sets will be around $15

OK, I have a question that technically doesn't have anything to do with an anime sale, but it is Amazon-related and it does concern an anime. :razz:

I recently started watching Bamboo Blade through my local library, and I've basically fallen in love with its charm, focus on kendo, and inoffensiveness. Granted, I'm only six episodes in, but I just can't see it drastically shifting its tone anywhere down the line. Anyway, I feel that it's good enough to warrant purchasing, and so I'd like to get it for a great price at some point.

When I searched for Bamboo Blade on Amazon, I noticed that someone is selling the original complete series (not the S.A.V.E. edition) for $19.99 + $2.98 shipping in the Marketplace. This is slightly more expensive than the S.A.V.E. edition, but I feel that I'd basically be paying extra for the non-S.A.V.E. packaging, so it might be justified.

Should I get the original complete series for this price, or should I wait to acquire the S.A.V.E. edition for $10-$15, since I doubt the original release would drop below $20 given its MSRP?

broken blade is like an ova with 6 50 mins episode....i read the manga and really more detail than the 6 eps movie....they skip alot of stuff and i really dislike the way the copied the scenes from manga directly to the movie....some able to animated but they just put the whole same page from manga and paste it into movie with sfx....budget issues or director getting lazy.....

[quote name='Vigilante']OK, I have a question that technically doesn't have anything to do with an anime sale, but it is Amazon-related and it does concern an anime. :razz:

I recently started watching Bamboo Blade through my local library, and I've basically fallen in love with its charm, focus on kendo, and inoffensiveness. Granted, I'm only six episodes in, but I just can't see it drastically shifting its tone anywhere down the line. Anyway, I feel that it's good enough to warrant purchasing, and so I'd like to get it for a great price at some point.

When I searched for Bamboo Blade on Amazon, I noticed that someone is selling the original complete series (not the S.A.V.E. edition) for $19.99 + $2.98 shipping in the Marketplace. This is slightly more expensive than the S.A.V.E. edition, but I feel that I'd basically be paying extra for the non-S.A.V.E. packaging, so it might be justified.

Should I get the original complete series for this price, or should I wait to acquire the S.A.V.E. edition for $10-$15, since I doubt the original release would drop below $20 given its MSRP?[/QUOTE]

Going by the following video, it seems there isn't any difference physically outside of the S.A.V.E label so I'd go with the cheaper option. I have the S.A.V.E edition unopened but it's also a single dvd sized case.

YouTube unboxing/review

If you're interested in getting Bamboo Blade and another series for $30, it's part of the B1G1 Free sale over at Funimation. Seems like they're also having a 25% off sale as well but participating in the B1G1 Free offer invalidates the 25% discount.

[quote name='Vigilante']When I searched for Bamboo Blade on Amazon, I noticed that someone is selling the original complete series (not the S.A.V.E. edition) for $19.99 + $2.98 shipping in the Marketplace. This is slightly more expensive than the S.A.V.E. edition, but I feel that I'd basically be paying extra for the non-S.A.V.E. packaging, so it might be justified.

Should I get the original complete series for this price, or should I wait to acquire the S.A.V.E. edition for $10-$15, since I doubt the original release would drop below $20 given its MSRP?[/QUOTE]

No opinion on which to purchase... I will say that I have bought some of the older editions for cheap from other sellers on amazon. I did want to point out that the seller you were referring to (shawnek) is Shawne Kleckner so you would be buying from rightstuf.com and yes he does sometimes sell things on amazon for quite a bit cheaper than rightstuf prices but in this instance he's got it priced for 15.99 on rightstuf but is listed as sold out.

[quote name='Sway']Going by the following video, it seems there isn't any difference physically outside of the S.A.V.E label so I'd go with the cheaper option. I have the S.A.V.E edition unopened but it's also a single dvd sized case.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, from what I can tell the only version that had a different case were the part 1 & 2 sets. Having the S.A.V.E. edition, it's the same as the complete series set, having part 1 & 2 discs in a single DVD sized case. It even still has the same old trailers that the original complete series had on it.

I've also got a question. I can get the Slayers & Slayers Next funimation sets for about $18 for both. Tried watching a couple episodes funimation has loaded on youtube and thought it was average(even for 90's anime, the animation is bad). But considering I can get 52 episodes for $18, it's a good deal. Should I pass on them or buy them? Also, for anyone that has them, are they like the S.A.V.E. sets(single DVD sized cases) or thinpak(slim cases in a slip case)?

[quote name='tangytangerine']I've also got a question. I can get the Slayers & Slayers Next funimation sets for about $18 for both. Tried watching a couple episodes funimation has loaded on youtube and thought it was average(even for 90's anime, the animation is bad). But considering I can get 52 episodes for $18, it's a good deal. Should I pass on them or buy them? Also, for anyone that has them, are they like the S.A.V.E. sets(single DVD sized cases) or thinpak(slim cases in a slip case)?[/QUOTE]

I'd probably just hold out for the whole Slayers/Next/Try box set to get a little cheaper (it's currently $33.99 on Amazon). The first season is almost a complete slog, but Next has some fun moments (though *lots* of filler), and some great plot episodes near the end, and Try is some relatively solid storytelling throughout. Can't comment on the packaging for the individual seasons.

The individual seasons were in a fold up digipak if I remember correctly. I'd just hold off for the complete set.

umm, don't know if there is an anime thread anymore, but I went to Best Buy today and 90% of their anime section was gone. I am not sure if they are doing inventory or if they are having another blowout.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'd probably just hold out for the whole Slayers/Next/Try box set to get a little cheaper (it's currently $33.99 on Amazon). The first season is almost a complete slog, but Next has some fun moments (though *lots* of filler), and some great plot episodes near the end, and Try is some relatively solid storytelling throughout. [/QUOTE]

Well, I ordered them from Amazon early this morning and it's too late to cancel. It came to $18.44 for both. I guess I'll just return them when they arrive & wait for the 3 season set to go on sale. Thanks for mentioning the 3 season set, completely forgot about that.

I do agree about the first season. I've watched a couple more episodes(up to ep. 8) since ordering the sets and it's so-so. Watched the first 2 episodes of Next and it seems to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']umm, don't know if there is an anime thread anymore, but I went to Best Buy today and 90% of their anime section was gone. I am not sure if they are doing inventory or if they are having another blowout.[/QUOTE]

yeah same with my store.
Also by the way, Funimation has stopped producing the DBZ on BR for some reason. Which kind of sucks because I thought the first set was pretty awesome.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-26/funimation-suspends-dragon-ball-z-blu-ray-production

bread's done
Back