Amazon announces Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition - $87.96 360 / $99.96 PS3

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-2-Special-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J7C2

Xbox 360 - http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-2-Sp..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1265463895&sr=1-3

$99.96

41fPP9IvmOL._AA280_.jpg

Looks like the set includes a few posters, cards, a book about Art Deco designs, and a collector box.

---

Update 1/20/10 - pre-order for PS3 and get a Big Daddy outfit for you Home avatar :lol:

ref=amb_link_37969842_3

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it's worth the extra $40 to a collector, and you can get it for about $35 extra at the moment anyway. So for about $35 you get the Vinyl, a CD, posters, and a 164 page hard cover art book.. AND that goofy PSN avatar code if you're getting it for PS3 from Amazon.

Either way I'm getting it and I'll just sell it for more than I bought it for anyway down the road if I decide to.

Well it's more than just 35 if you shop for videogames at amazon often, because of the 10 credit you get back from the regular version. It's hard to swallow, but I'm getting this added to an order of mine. I don't know why it keeps hitting me over the head but I can't get away from this SE. Damnit =/

[quote name='Vortextk']Well it's more than just 35 if you shop for videogames at amazon often, because of the 10 credit you get back from the regular version. It's hard to swallow, but I'm getting this added to an order of mine. I don't know why it keeps hitting me over the head but I can't get away from this SE. Damnit =/[/QUOTE]

True I forgot about the credit. Ok so $90 for the CE and in the end $45 for the Standard.

I guess I'll get both, play the standard and keep the CE around for awhile and resell. I'll let anyone that doesn't think it was worth it what I made from it. I'm including the sale of the PSN code in the total though too ;)! I bet I end up with the standard edition for free (minus time + effort for selling the CE).

Edit: Actually if you just buy the standard and ebay the PSN code you'll end up with a great deal on the game. $45 - whatever the codes sell for.

[quote name='Vortextk']Amazon already added it to my order, man they're quick middle of the morning. I feel dirty for paying more for a game =/.[/QUOTE]
Just curious - it that order a single, double or triple stack?

[quote name='imfromwisconsin']That's not exactly true; records aren't necessarily much more expensive than processing a CD -- it's a misconception. Especially with quantities for a 'limited edition', the price would be relatively close.

If anything, it's the cost of shipping that would make it rise slightly; however depending on how the product is shipped (assuming freight), there shouldn't be a difference there either.

Vinyl records aren't just for audiophiles. I bought, and started, my record collection a little over 6 months ago and have a collection of 100+. The majority, around 90%, are artists from today across many genres (i.e., 50 Cent, John Mayer, Brand New, etc.). It's not just the matter of the quality (in which a dirty record can sound much worse than a digital copy), but it's the experience of the record as well. It's not for everyone, but it has its qualities.

As for being "on topic", I agree that the additional price on top of the game is a little steep; an $89, or even $79 price point should've been sufficient.[/QUOTE]

Your numbers are completely incorrect. You can replicate a CD for under a buck a copy with packaging. The cheapest I have ever seen a record plant go on short runs of vinyl is around $5 a copy with packaging. Adding the shipping and dimensional size costs to that number, it's probably 6-7 times more expensive to add a record than a CD and that doesn't take into account other items like the art book which sounds really premium. I have no problem paying $90 for this neat set.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Sucks I missed the $89.99 price and it's back up to $99.96 for PS3 :([/QUOTE]

Both seem to be back up to $99.96. Now only PC is the one at $89.96.

Someboy help me out here. I pre-ordered BS2 CE as soon as it was available from Amazon. I added it to an open order at $99.99.

The price later dropped to $89.XX when they price-matched Walmart. That offer was only for a few days, and now the price went back up to $99.

So... with Amazon's pre-order price guarantee TECHNICALLY when it ships I should be charged $89.XX and not $99.99, since it was lower than that between the time I added it to the order and the release date.

However, the price reflected in the order summary page is still $99.99, and people have said they had to manually call up CS to change it because the price they were charged when it shipped is the order summary price, not the lowest.

My issue is that since it's back up to $99.99, I can't get Amazon CS to price adjust it down to $89.XX since apparently they have no history of price changes, and even though there is a "guarantee" on the lowest pre-order price, what I was told was that it's on the customer to call them when the price does go down and have them change it.

I can't get it adjusted after the fact since it's back up to $99, but "if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price" pretty much means that I should get the $89.XX price, no?

They won't stand by their offer, which is kind of fucked up. Unless my understanding of what the pre-order guarantee is wrong? Anyone know or have luck getting them to change the price?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Someboy help me out here. I pre-ordered BS2 CE as soon as it was available from Amazon. I added it to an open order at $99.99.

The price later dropped to $89.XX when they price-matched Walmart. That offer was only for a few days, and now the price went back up to $99.

So... with Amazon's pre-order price guarantee TECHNICALLY when it ships I should be charged $89.XX and not $99.99, since it was lower than that between the time I added it to the order and the release date.

However, the price reflected in the order summary page is still $99.99, and people have said they had to manually call up CS to change it because the price they were charged when it shipped is the order summary price, not the lowest.

My issue is that since it's back up to $99.99, I can't get Amazon CS to price adjust it down to $89.XX since apparently they have no history of price changes, and even though there is a "guarantee" on the lowest pre-order price, what I was told was that it's on the customer to call them when the price does go down and have them change it.

I can't get it adjusted after the fact since it's back up to $99, but "if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price" pretty much means that I should get the $89.XX price, no?

They won't stand by their offer, which is kind of fucked up. Unless my understanding of what the pre-order guarantee is wrong? Anyone know or have luck getting them to change the price?[/QUOTE]

Mine got auto adjusted ;x I tend to call up on every single price change, and $10 gift card addition. This allows me to forward them the email if they say they can find nothing regarding the price change, or gift card. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hey I just think these collector's editions are just way overpriced -- I could see if they include some sort of DLC or a previous or retro version of a game, but a lot of it generally looks like junk to me.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']They won't stand by their offer, which is kind of fucked up. Unless my understanding of what the pre-order guarantee is wrong? Anyone know or have luck getting them to change the price?[/QUOTE]

On like everything I've ever pre-ordered, I get all the bonuses added on later and the prices dropped automatically, until Yakuza 3. It's been at 54.99 for like a week, I finally just e-mailed them because in my order page it's been showing 59.95. You're understanding it fine, it's always been automatic for me until now so that is definitely how it works(lowest price between your order date and shipping date YOU get). But if it glitches like this, you could have to go through hoops to sort it out with them. Try what you can NOW(if you haven't? hard to tell), as I'm sure it looks better to do it beforehand rather than after.

[quote name='argyle']Most every game either straight-out installs or caches in the background at least 3-4gb. I don't see how it's an issue anyway - does anyone have hdd space issues on a PS3?[/QUOTE]

Some people only have a 20gb launch system, so yes.

[quote name='Vortextk']On like everything I've ever pre-ordered, I get all the bonuses added on later and the prices dropped automatically, until Yakuza 3. It's been at 54.99 for like a week, I finally just e-mailed them because in my order page it's been showing 59.95. You're understanding it fine, it's always been automatic for me until now so that is definitely how it works(lowest price between your order date and shipping date YOU get). But if it glitches like this, you could have to go through hoops to sort it out with them. Try what you can NOW(if you haven't? hard to tell), as I'm sure it looks better to do it beforehand rather than after.[/QUOTE]

They won't change it for me now because the "lowest price offered" is 99.XX... very fucked up. And yeah I know others have had theirs auto-adjusted in the past but it's never done that for me.

It's on an order with 21 items on it though, that I keep adding stuff to it so... :/

Prinny, this is the response I got for my yakuza question:

Hello,

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding this matter caused.

Normally whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours.

Our Pre-Order Price Guarantee doesn't apply to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.

The discounts we offer vary from time to time. I see we currently offer a greater discount on "Yakuza 3" than we did at the time you placed order #xxxxxxxxxxxx

Since this item hasn't shipped yet, I adjusted the price to reflect the current discounted price, $54.99. This is the price you'll be charged for this item when the order ships.

NOTE: The price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date. If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours.

At first it sounded like I was getting the "one time exception" e-mail, but it does sound like a slight apology for the discount not being applied and then they did it for me.

The difference is that Yakuza is 54.99 RIGHT NOW, whereas my Bioshock 2 went back up to 99.XX from 89. Since they're no longer offering it at 89.XX they won't adjust it, which is really BS since I will end up getting charged 99 when it ships.

They basically told me, sorry you should've called on that one day that it dropped in price, since we don't automatically adjust it for you.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The difference is that Yakuza is 54.99 RIGHT NOW, whereas my Bioshock 2 went back up to 99.XX from 89. Since they're no longer offering it at 89.XX they won't adjust it, which is really BS since I will end up getting charged 99 when it ships.

They basically told me, sorry you should've called on that one day that it dropped in price, since we don't automatically adjust it for you.[/QUOTE]

But this "If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours." is an auto refund. Did you only try with 1 person? Or have you been trying for awhile?

[quote name='bsesb2003']Hey I just think these collector's editions are just way overpriced -- I could see if they include some sort of DLC or a previous or retro version of a game, but a lot of it generally looks like junk to me.[/QUOTE]

A beautiful hardcover book full of inside info and artwork is way more valuable to some of us than some skins or a $5 retro game pack-in.

I can see folks saying they don't care for the contents, but the comments calling it "junk" and "garbage" are so far off the mark it's ridiculous.

[quote name='Vortextk']But this "If the price changes, you'll see the update (or refund, if your shipment is already being prepared) within 24 hours." is an auto refund. Did you only try with 1 person? Or have you been trying for awhile?[/QUOTE]

They don't keep a "history" of price changes, so by their argument I can't prove that it ever did drop when I told them they PM'ed Walmart for a day. I know camelcamelcamel and other sites track changes but I doubt they'll care since it's not internal data.

[quote name='United_Korea']i know capcom started the $80 CE trend, but who the fuck started the $100+ CE trend?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft/Bungie

[quote name='carpwrist']lol, sounds like you have a "no brainer" sense of consumption. Really, this Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition is absolute garbage.[/QUOTE]

A lot of gamers here are VERY Naive... as in not very knowledgeable about things!

Vinyls are HIGHLY collectible! A lot of people will pay a lot for very LIMITED Vinyls! I am by NO means a Vinyl collector, BUT I understand this fact!

Thus, I am getting this then selling the Vinyl a couple years later and make BACK the $100 I am buying this CE!!! :D

So, when I make ALL that $$$ back from selling the Vinyl I will be laughing at you Naive people!!! ;)

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think that they are fantastic for the price. Where can you get a set of decent functioning NVG's for $80? If you don't like them, that's your call, but I am super happy with that purchase, but I'm not so sure about this.[/QUOTE]

Well, ACTUALLY these toys DO cost about $80 by itself :)

I thought the vinyl was a cool idea. Granted I haven't had a turntable in 16 years, but I'm still liking the package.

It only cost me $7 above retail of the regular, so why the hell not?!?!? If anything, I could always sell off pieces I don't want or wouldn't use (looking at you Vinyl) to make it even cheaper. To me, the exclusive packaging and artbook are both things that I'm rather fond of, and I may frame the posters, so it's a good purchase in my book!

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']this bundle will become a collectible rather shortly just the way original bioshock limited edition for 360 did.
get it while you can.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly!!!!

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']this bundle will become a collectible rather shortly just the way original bioshock limited edition for 360 did.

The original was gamestop exclusive. This SE is available at more places.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Some people only have a 20gb launch system, so yes.[/QUOTE]

But when you can upgrade the PS3's hdd to the 300gb range for $50 or so, there's no excuse.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, a lot of us have turntables at home as an integral part of our stereo system. I can understand that not everyone finds vinyl interesting, but as an adult, I really have no interest in having action figures in my home and this is the first collector's edition that actually feels like something designed for adults. It's something I wouldn't mind having in my home and actually seems to take the art of video gaming seriously.[/QUOTE]

I need for a vinyl record of a video game soundtrack the same way I need an action figure. I could care less about any of these extras, I just want to play the game. I will say that it is overpriced @ $100.

Nice. Silly promo though. :p

Only bad thing about these collector editions (besides the price of course) is that they are so honking huge. Bulky boxes ftl.

The last good limited/collector's edition was Bioshock with the big daddy figurine. Ever since then, they have all sucked and have given shitty things with them which is why I continue to refuse to buy them. Add to that, the fact that they keep re-releasing games like re5 and sf4 and the contents are crap anyways. This would only be for collector's and a hardcore fan but for me I say it's not worth the extra money but to each their own.

[quote name='ricshos']LOL!!!! That was fucking AMAZING!

I wouldn't doubt it if someone actually wanted to buy that uber edition >_>[/QUOTE]

LOL I'd so pound that! I'll be her big daddy and put my drill...well ya know :lol::applause:

[quote name='intoxicated662']LOL I'd so pound that! I'll be her big daddy and put my drill...well ya know :lol::applause:[/QUOTE]

No you wouldn't; you'd probably just talk to her about video games....

Does anybody know if it's too late to preorder the collector's edition at Gamestops?

Also...what do you guys think the CE will sell for on eBay, on release day, and a year after release day?

[quote name='SpockBlocker']Does anybody know if it's too late to preorder the collector's edition at Gamestops?

Also...what do you guys think the CE will sell for on eBay, on release day, and a year after release day?[/QUOTE]

wish I knew man! I grabbed mine during the SBD craze and was surprised that w/ 4 weeks away, they were still taking pre-orders. It wouldn't hurt to check today by calling and the day after release to see if they have any that people canceled on picking up. Or whatever the hold period is (48 hrs?) I always see tons of CE's hanging around a couple days after launch, like AC2:MAE. The only I didn't see stick around was the ME2:CE, clerks told me they really only did get enough in for pre-orders and everyone picked up..

but now that I burned up some credit, I gotta come up w/ $50 to secure this thing..not going to open it. wish I didn't w/ my first one, but everything is still in perfect shape, never opened the figure (that isn't broken :D just a slight puncture in the plastic due to his drill)

This will never be as 'collectible' as the original ltd set... way too many were produced.

bread's done
Back