Amazon announces Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition - $87.96 360 / $99.96 PS3

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-2-Special-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J7C2

Xbox 360 - http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-2-Sp..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1265463895&sr=1-3

$99.96

41fPP9IvmOL._AA280_.jpg

Looks like the set includes a few posters, cards, a book about Art Deco designs, and a collector box.

---

Update 1/20/10 - pre-order for PS3 and get a Big Daddy outfit for you Home avatar :lol:

ref=amb_link_37969842_3

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, not only do I hear it from my wife to do something with my vinyl collection, but now I get it from CAG. This is "cheap" ass gamer right? I don't want to rebuy all my titles!

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, a lot of us have turntables at home as an integral part of our stereo system. I can understand that not everyone finds vinyl interesting, but as an adult, I really have no interest in having action figures in my home and this is the first collector's edition that actually feels like something designed for adults. It's something I wouldn't mind having in my home and actually seems to take the art of video gaming seriously.[/QUOTE]

I'm 22 so I don't want the figure to play with or anything (it'd display it), if that's what you're thinking, but I don't know anyone who has a turntable outside of a friend who DJs. I know plenty of people with good sound systems but most of them are meant for movies and/or games.

I know there are many people who still prize vinyls over other audio medium, I'm not ignoring that fact. But lets be honest here... most gamers probably aren't avid vinyl collectors.

I guess it's a cool token item though, kinda like a figure.:)

[quote name='blissskr']Actually your wrong its a limited to a single production run and thats it. You can read this on the Cult of Rapture webpage where the special edition was first announced here http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/bioshock2se.html[/QUOTE]

It just says there'll be a single run but it doesn't mean it'll be limited. I mean, if they have a one time run of 1 million copies, then it's not gonna be very limited.:lol:

[quote name='Vinny']
It just says there'll be a single run but it doesn't mean it'll be limited. I mean, if they have a one time run of 1 million copies, then it's not gonna be very limited.:lol:[/QUOTE]

True, i'm guessing they're not ramping it up on production yet and still gauging the demand...that way they won't over produce or under produce.

[quote name='Porksta']On a side note, I am looking at my order and cannot tell if I ordered the 360 or PS3 version. Is there any way to tell?[/QUOTE]
If you click on the item in your cart, it will take you to the product page and have highlighted the version you ordered. I bought one of each and confirmed it by doing just that.

Hope it helps!

I ended up preordering as well. I wonder if you can modify a preorder to add gift cards to it? I'll probably save up some of the gift cards I get from swagbucks for this or the Mass Effect 2 CE.

[quote name='erehwon']I ended up preordering as well. I wonder if you can modify a preorder to add gift cards to it? I'll probably save up some of the gift cards I get from swagbucks for this or the Mass Effect 2 CE.[/QUOTE]

Just go to your order page and enter the gift card code.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Unfortunately, it's not a limited collectors edition.[/QUOTE]

Actually according to 2kgames it this edition will be made in a limited run, so technically it is a LIMITED collectors edition. Taken directly from the Bioshock 2 website:

This edition will be available on February 9th, 2010 for $99.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3 and $89.99 for Games for Windows LIVE and is limited to a single production run.

Not worth $100. Damnit, was really hoping to get a figure or something. Doesn't even look like it has DLC which every CE seems to have lately.

I'm really torn. On the one hand, I appreciate the style they are creating by including a full size vinyl record, but on the other, I was hoping for some really amazing stuff. I mean, I love the art book. THat is something I would consider buying separate, but the CDs and soundtracks and stuff are weak sauce to me. Maybe it's just because I'm in high school and Paychecks are small and limited. I'm also a sucker for limited edition packaging and posters are always good by me. Damn, help me. If it had something tangible, like, say NIGHT VISION GOGGLES, I would jump on it, but I'm not sure. I'll probably end up getting it, and pay a little off each week at gamestop. Oh well, when can you be loose with cash if not in high school?

I snagged the PC version; used the MW2 $20 credit. The first BS was great - I only wished I got the LE of that instead of the regular version @ BB for $20 bucks Black Friday a few years ago...

[quote name='sadunk']Not worth $100. Damnit, was really hoping to get a figure or something. Doesn't even look like it has DLC which every CE seems to have lately.[/QUOTE]

I am really curious what kind of value you guys put on figures. Considering all the crappy figures like the one from SFIV CE and several others, I have no desire to ever get another limited or collector's edition with one included. Even the original Bioshock CE Big Daddy was a piece of junk. Do you have these things around your room or house? It creeps me out when I visit friends with action figures in their home, unless they have kids of course.

I would much rather have items like a really nice art book (which based on the description and size, this seems to be the nicest one ever to come with a CE game), a CD soundtrack and especially a piece of vinyl which is something nobody has done before in a CE game and frankly has a value outside of game collecting. I like that all the items are tangible and artistic and actually fit with the mythology and items in the game world. It's not like some weird cheap figure and a making of DVD or some ridiculous item that has no application to playing the game like those absurd goggles which cost $70 in CoD MW2.

There's Bioshock 1 and 2 figures due out soon from NECA, which is probably why they didn't put one in. The Bouncer model Big Daddy should be arriving in stores soon.

bio648236.jpg

NEC11301.jpg

Also a Splicer and Little Sister. I can't remember if the Little Sister is going to be packed with the Splicer or Big Sister.

[quote name='gomikeoh']batman arkham assylum started the 100+ trend.[/QUOTE]

I thought that it was the Halo 3: Legendary Edition that started all the madness. :lol:

[quote name='Nico0020']already preordered on amazon. IIRC amazon doesn't charge you until it ships correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct. :cool:

Overpriced for what you get, but I was able to add it to one of my promo'd pre-orders, so now it's probably what it should really cost at retail. Still, I hope there's a pre-order discount prior to release. :p

[quote name='bojay1997']You're kidding, right? For $40 you are getting a vinyl record, a CD soundtrack, posters and a very nice hardback full size artbook. This makes the GoW III set look like a sad joke by comparison.[/QUOTE]
Most game collector's edition come with artbook and cd are only $10-$20 more. At most the extras are worth $25

I can't see how they can justify this when BioShock Limited Edition was only $10 more than regular edition, only cost $59.99 PC / Xbox 360 $69.99, and it came with a figurine.

[quote name='bojay1997']You're kidding, right? For $40 you are getting a vinyl record, a CD soundtrack, posters and a very nice hardback full size artbook. This makes the GoW III set look like a sad joke by comparison.[/QUOTE]
Considering the GOW III UE is a joke, that's really not saying much

[quote name='Mr Dude65'] Damn, help me. If it had something tangible, like, say NIGHT VISION GOGGLES, I would jump on it, but I'm not sure. I'll probably end up getting it, and pay a little off each week at gamestop. Oh well, when can you be loose with cash if not in high school?[/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding. The night vision goggles CE was one of the most overpriced stupid collectors items ever. It's right next to the halo cat helmet on my list of "collectors edition junk."

[quote name='appleyum']Most game collector's edition come with artbook and cd are only $10-$20 more. At most the extras are worth $25

I can't see how they can justify this when BioShock Limited Edition was only $10 more than regular edition, only cost $59.99 PC / Xbox 360 $69.99, and it came with a figurine.[/QUOTE]

I am not aware of any CE that has come with a 164 full size hardcover art book. Similarly, this comes with the artbook, posters, a very nice box, a full soundtrack CD (not a sampler like most CEs), and a 12" vinyl soundtrack album. That is well worth $40 in my opinion. The figure which came with the first Bioshock was a piece of crap. That's why it was only $10 extra.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']since I already own the Bioshock 1 CE... this is obviously a no brainer for me :)[/QUOTE]

lol, sounds like you have a "no brainer" sense of consumption. Really, this Bioshock 2 Collectors Edition is absolute garbage.

Ummm..I'm not realy feeling this CE for $100. I'm a Bioshock fan but all I'm really interested in is the artbook,everything else is something I really don't need or want...I wish it was something more like the Assassins Creed 2 CE. Now that was amazing for the price.

Gonna bite the bullet and get this. I'll put the vinyl with my other record I got from the ARG they have going currently. Once you take into account the fact that people are selling the bioshock big daddy from the first one for over $40~, you can easily recoup the "$40" additional price tag. (though the price has gone down with the new figures being released)

Sold! This is one of the best "Collector's Edition" I have seen. Plus, this caters to the BioShock fan in me.

I just hope the sequel will meet might high expectations.

A 134 page hardcover artbook is $20 - $30 easily. If you put a value of $15 on the CD OST and $15 on the vinyl, then $5 a poster, it's worth $89/$99 if you're a fan.

[quote name='newlu']You can still add items onto an open triple stacked order.:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That's crazy. I can't even merge two regular orders without it giving me some type of error.

Worth buying as a speculator only if it's limited and you keep it sealed. I like those editions with print runs under 10000. Yes, I am a SUCKER!

[quote name='crunchewy']How long until this becomes a Lightning Deal? How long until it becomes a second Lightning Deal? Third?[/QUOTE]

Probably never. Given the contents, I don't think this is one they are going to overproduce. It's not like the Ghostbusters set where it was a bunch of cheap crap made in China. Pressing vinyl is expensive and so is printing nice art books.

Im going to get this based soley on my love of garbage Ill never need and my love of the original, but not right now. Considering how amazon has been undercutting themselves in the recent months with thier credits and price matchings and whatnot, Ill give it till its closer to launch to make my pre order. Id hate to cancel and have to go through the trouble of them reapplying my game credit from MW2.

Man 100$ is alot, but I didn't jump on the first Bioshock collector's and it's actually one of the rarest (well most expensive ones) to try and buy new or used. So I'm definitely gonna bite.

^ so you're saying the vinyl record and the art book are not made in China? Ha, in that case, i don't see how they're selling this for $100.

I think the art book is a good value, vinyl is a nice touch, poster sucks. So, for $40, you're not getting anything more. No skins, no additional contents, they don't mount to much, but i don't think people mind.

I'm not much of a BioShock fan, so it's overpriced by $30. For $70, i think it's a good deal.

[quote name='Serpentor']^ so you're saying the vinyl record and the art book are not made in China?[/QUOTE]

The record probably isn't. Most records sold in the US today are pressed in the US; vinyl production is more nuanced than digital production (which either works or doesn't) and therefore less commoditized (i.e. it isn't conducive to cheap mass production overseas). A record is much heavier than a CD so the cost of shipping a record from China would do less to offset any potential savings (if the records were made in China) than manufacturing and shipping a CD would. No idea about the book.

[quote name='Serpentor']^ so you're saying the vinyl record and the art book are not made in China? Ha, in that case, i don't see how they're selling this for $100.

I think the art book is a good value, vinyl is a nice touch, poster sucks. So, for $40, you're not getting anything more. No skins, no additional contents, they don't mount to much, but i don't think people mind.

I'm not much of a BioShock fan, so it's overpriced by $30. For $70, i think it's a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Skins? Additional contents? Don't you really mean all the stuff that should have been included in the game to begin with which other developers have now trained you to think are somehow bonuses instead of things that should be included for $60? The first Bioshock didn't try to rip fans off by selling ridiculous DLC or claiming it was a bonus and neither will this release. Seriously, for CAGs you guys have a warped sense of what things are worth. In my mind, any digital content is worth exactly zero. That goes for digital soundtracks, skins, DLC that should have been included like multiplayer and anything else that I can't physically own and resell if necessary. I'm guessing you guys haven't actually purchased an art book or game guide lately at anything other than a penny because they go for between $20 and $30. Vinyl records go for a minimum of $12 to $15 each. A CD soundtrack is probably worth $5-$10. The posters and the box are basically free.

[quote name='Chemosh013']I agree. The last limited edition was 69.99 (i think) and it came with a figurine, a CD (though the CD was crap with only 3 songs) and a making of DVD or something like that. I would say that was a way better deal.
[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but those with busted figurines got a nice Art Book and a second figure as well. My guess is 2K is making up the money for replacing all those figures for the first game with this $40 upgrade.

bread's done
Back