Apple ipad

[quote name='dmaul1114']Was that directed at my post? If so....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-3g-service-plans-on-atandt-30-for-unlimited-data/

So you can use another network...assuming you can get the SIM for it as it's not totally locked like the iPhone.

Not sure how easy that will be to do. Haven't really looked into it since I have no intention of buying an iPad. At least not this first gen model. And I have no need for 3G in a tablet so I'd get the Wifi Only model if I do buy one down the road.

But sounds like it should be pretty easy as long as the network you want to use provides a micro SIM card for iPad.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was directed at you. Your link only proved my point.

The only other GSM carrier in the US is T-Mobile, who you dismissed in your post. Even then, T-Mobile has yet to make the microSIM cards available to consumers.

FYI: Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA standard, which doesn't use SIM cards at all. There is no way for the iPad as presented to be on Sprint or Verizon.

You really don't know what you're talking about. :rofl:

Like I said, I was going by stuff I'd read on engadet, and one ruled out T-mobile the other day.

Though they've since updated that story with the following:

Update: T-Mobile (in a partnership with Lok8u GPS devices) announced they were bringing the 3FF SIM to US shores back on January 6th of this year. See the source link for more info.

So it was there goof that T-Mobile didn't support that micro SIM.

But like I said, no problem admitting I was wrong since I didn't look into it much, given I have no plans to buy the Tablet and no interest in 3G internet period personally as I'm always near WiFi spots and don't need to be tethered to the internet 24/7 anyway. So I was just posting what I'd read the other day.

But in any case, you can't do anything but go around insulting people and being a dick. So ignore +1 as I have no patience for such douchebaggery from nerds on a gaming site.

iPad.jpg

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Come on now, damaul, look at the price point of this thing. 500 bucks for a 16g model? You could easily buy a slim line tablet laptop weighing 4 - 5 pounds (although I do like how its so light.) that is capable of doing all of the things this Ipad does and more.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. Can't read for shit on a laptop. I love my kindle for reading novels, but I seldom bother with the Kindle for PC program to read the books as it sucks to read on a laptop or netbook.

With a tablet you can curl up on the couch or in bed and read it just like you would a book or magazine.

If it had stylus support (huge missing built in feature IMO), then I could hold it like I do printouts of PDFs of research articles now and highlight things, write notes in the margins etc. Again something you couldn't do with a laptop--best you can do is sit and read on the laptop and highlight with the mouse, type notes etc. and I hate doing that and go with printouts instead.

I mean I realize these Tablet devices aren't for everyone. But they have their place in certain areas--largely in the e-reading front. Be it my academic work, students being able to get eletronic text books on a devices that's comfortable to read on and still be able to highlight etc.

They will also be great for magazines, newspapers and comic books which the e-ink devices like the Kindle suck at with the lack of color and smaller screens (the larger e-ink screens are $489 at the cheapest--Kindle DX--with most being more so no point in buying one vs. a color tablet).

So there is a place for them, so they're not a device without purpose. It won't have the wide appeal of an iPod, iPhone, netbook etc. But there is a niche who will find tablets very useful.

If we're comparing it to something like a Kindle then it's a good value but against everything else, it seems like the worst idea ever.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nope. Can't read for shit on a laptop. I love my kindle for reading novels, but I seldom bother with the Kindle for PC program to read the books as it sucks to read on a laptop or netbook.

With a tablet you can curl up on the couch or in bed and read it just like you would a book or magazine.

If it had stylus support (huge missing built in feature IMO), then I could hold it like I do printouts of PDFs of research articles now and highlight things, write notes in the margins etc. Again something you couldn't do with a laptop--best you can do is sit and read on the laptop and highlight with the mouse, type notes etc. and I hate doing that and go with printouts instead.

I mean I realize these Tablet devices aren't for everyone. But they have their place in certain areas--largely in the e-reading front. Be it my academic work, students being able to get eletronic text books on a devices that's comfortable to read on and still be able to highlight etc.

They will also be great for magazines, newspapers and comic books which the e-ink devices like the Kindle suck at with the lack of color and smaller screens (the larger e-ink screens are $489 at the cheapest--Kindle DX--with most being more so no point in buying one vs. a color tablet).

So there is a place for them, so they're not a device without purpose. It won't have the wide appeal of an iPod, iPhone, netbook etc. But there is a niche who will find tablets very useful.[/QUOTE]

You understand that the iPad still uses a backlit (LED-backlit IPS) screen so it wouldn't be as easy on the eyes as e-ink, right?

You also understand that there is a thing called "convertible laptops" (well, now they call them tablets) which are laptops but fold up like tablets and have touchscreens, right?

[quote name='Sporadic']You understand that the iPad still uses a backlit (LED-backlit IPS) screen so it wouldn't be as easy on the eyes as e-ink, right?
[/quote]

Yep, but my eyes aren't that sensitive. And for my work related reading I seldom read more than a hour at any time (has to be squeezed in around other work), so it's not much of an issue.

Especially with LED screens. My office PC monitor and my work laptop have LED screens and I'm on them for hours on end and don't get as much eye strain as I did on old LCDs. and even those didn't bother me a ton.

I just hate reading on them because of the form factor. Computer desk isn't a comfortable reading position, nor is a laptop in my lap.

I'm not one of those if "it glows it blows" e-ink loving bookworms over at Mobileread--those folk are the reason I don't post much over there. I love my Kindle, but more for just the convenience of the wireless book store, not having physical books to get rid of after reading etc. rather than the e-ink. Even my leisure reading is seldom more than a chapter or two before sleeping at night, so eye strain just isn't much of a concern for me.

You also understand that there is a thing called "convertible laptops" (well, now they call them tablets) which are laptops but fold up like tablets and have touchscreens, right?

Yep, but those are too big, bulky, heavy, hot running etc. to really curl up and read like you could something the size of the iPad. Nor very easy to hold in one hand and write with the other (like using a legal pad) which a tablet the size/weight of the iPad with stylus support could do easily. They tend to be pretty pricey since they're full powered laptops.

I don't want my tablet to be a laptop with a touch screen. It's just something I want to use to read on, mark up academic documents and do some light web browsing and e-mail since it's lighter to take on a short trip where I don't need to do any writing etc. than my Thinkpad. My work will always provide me with a laptop, so I don't need full computing features in a tablet as it would supplement my laptop, not be used in place of it for any tasks.

[quote name='davo1224']If we're comparing it to something like a Kindle then it's a good value but against everything else, it seems like the worst idea ever.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't state it quite that strongly, but otherwise I agree. I mean you can get a Kindle DX for $489 which has the same size screen, but it can do little more than display text and gray scale images, the PDF support is gimped (no table of contents etc.). Other more full featured large screen e-ink devices from iRex and Plastic Logic are $700+ for similar or larger screens.

So compartively the iPad is a good value at $500, unless you'll be reading for hours and hours on end or have very sensitive eyes and really have to have the e-ink screen and long battery life. Otherwise, might as well save the cash (or spend $10 more than the Kindle DX) and get all the other features as well as something that would be good for reading PDFs, magazines etc.

If it had built in stylus support with a resistive touch screen I'd buy an iPad day one. But for now I'll keep waiting and see what other companies put out in terms of tablets aimed more at the academic or business crowd.

[quote name='dmaul1114']...I have no patience for such douchebaggery from nerds on a gaming site.[/QUOTE]

Uh oh we just got told by a hip, trendy Mac user.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh oh we just got told by a hip, trendy Mac user.[/QUOTE]

I've never owned a single Apple product in my life. And don't plan to anytime soon unless then next version of the iPad fixes a lot of shortcomings of this first gen model. I just hate how people are so absurdly loyal to a company, or hate a company and get online and bash each other back and forth. Just absurd argument. It's like the special olympics, whoever wins is still retarded. Use what ever gadgets, operating systems etc. that work for you, and don't give a crap what someone else uses.

Anyway, I'm very interested in tablets for some of my academic research work, and was just defend their utility for some of us. But the iPad specifically falls short of what I need one to do. Though it did a lot right as well with the size, weight, price and battery life for a first gen device. Hopefully a competitor will rip off those positives and add the stylus writing and other things I need. Apple has set the bar high on the price, weight and battery life front, so I'm stoked to see what other companies put out against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to own one of these things but it seems too expensive and too limiting in terms of being an actual computer.

[quote name='javeryh']I would like to own one of these things but it seems too expensive and too limiting in terms of being an actual computer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's not meant to be a computer.

I couldn't see this really being useful unless you're buying it from the e-reading angle as your main purpose.

As it is priced pretty competively with large screen e-ink devices. So just a matter of whether someone wants a big e-ink screen (ease on eyes, long battery life) or wants the LED screen for color, video etc.--as well as the internet, e-mail, games apps etc.

But yeah, this can't even really replace a netbook for most people. But if you want something to read magazines, comics, books, pdfs do some light web browsing, play some casual games etc., it's a pretty slick device and the price isn't bad either IMO.

But these tablet devices that aren't full tablet PCs will probably end up as pretty niche devices. The one I see taking off will be the one that really focuses on reading and stylus mark up and goes after the student/textbook market as well as anyone else that needs to read and highlight/write notes.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never owned a single Apple product in my life. And don't plan to anytime soon unless then next version of the iPad fixes a lot of shortcomings of this first gen model. I just hate how people are so absurdly loyal to a company, or hate a company and get online and bash each other back and forth. Just absurd argument. It's like the special olympics, whoever wins is still retarded. Use what ever gadgets, operating systems etc. that work for you, and don't give a crap what someone else uses.

Anyway, I'm very interested in tablets for some of my academic research work, and was just defend their utility for some of us. But the iPad specifically falls short of what I need one to do. Though it did a lot right as well with the size, weight, price and battery life for a first gen device. Hopefully a competitor will rip off those positives and add the stylus writing and other things I need. Apple has set the bar high on the price, weight and battery life front, so I'm stoked to see what other companies put out against it.[/QUOTE]

This is the internet, son. You're not allowed to be reasonable, you're supposed to be IRATE.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Interesting question. One would think that a small % would go to AT&T, but the majority of money would come from the subscription service. The profit on each iPad leaves a lot of room for apple to drop the price in the future.

Honestly, had it come out at 299 or so I'd consider one. We all know that won't happen as it would price the Touch out of the market, etc.[/QUOTE]

You say it leaves a lot of room for them to drop the price yet you say it will never be as cheap as $300. There are regular ipods that cost more than the low end ipod touches. It's possible to have the highest end ipod touch cost more than the lowest end ipad eventually. However, since no ipod Touches cost over $300 anyways right now, it's likely that you'd see their prices stay below $300 or drop and have the low end model ipad eventually reach $300 or at the very least $400. You'll just see Apple increase the memory dramatically on ipod touches when they make their changes to ipad's specs and prices.

[quote name='tekzor']just give me flash support and I will replace my acer timeline in a heart beat[/QUOTE]
Not happening, unfortunately. This thing is all about content from the iTunes store.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Not happening, unfortunately. This thing is all about content from the iTunes store.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Flash won't happen as web flash programs would make a lot of apps redundant and cut into Apple's take.

It could forgive the lack of flash down the road if they end up having free Apps for Hulu and other video sites like they do for Youtube. As that's about all I'd use flash for, I don't think I'd do a ton of web surfing on a table anyway as most of that would still be on PC at work or laptop at home.

The lack of built in and optimized stylus writing, and lack of multitasking are the main killers for me currently.

Why is everybody attacking dmaul? I honestly don't understand it. If he says that he'll be finding it useful, why try to argue with him? Douchey Apple fanboys are annoying, but trying to convince him not to buy the iPad just because you don't like Apple is just as annoying. I don't understand what you guys stand to gain if you actually convince him to not buy an iPad.

And some friends and I were just discussing yesterday that it would be great as an eReader. It's light and portable, and has a big screen. It'd be easy to curl up on the couch under a blanket and just start reading. Versus if you had a tablet PC, it would not only be 4 times the weight, but it would probably burn your leg if you left it there for too long. A friend and I will probably get one next year when the second gen comes out. I'll use it for random things and fulfilling my fanboy-ness, and she's going to use it for reading (a lot of reading classes in college) and word processing for notes.

I think this is going to be a pretty cool device once some problems are worked out.

steve_jobs_630x.jpg

On Google: We did not enter the search business, Jobs said. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake they want to kill the iPhone. We won’t let them, he says. Someone else asks something on a different topic, but there’s no getting Jobs off this rant. I want to go back to that other question first and say one more thing, he says. This don’t be evil mantra: “It’s bullshit.” Audience roars.

(Update, 1/31 4:20 pm ET: Another member of the audience, who also requires anonymity because this person is also not authorized to speak to the media, disputes the “bullshit” quote and says Jobs actually said: “Don’t be evil is a load of crap,” as first reported by Daring Fireball.)

About Adobe: They are lazy, Jobs says. They have all this potential to do interesting things but they just refuse to do it. They don’t do anything with the approaches that Apple is taking, like Carbon. Apple does not support Flash because it is so buggy, he says. Whenever a Mac crashes more often than not it’s because of Flash. No one will be using Flash, he says. The world is moving to HTML5.

Read More http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010...dobe-is-lazy-apples-steve-jobs/#ixzz0eJwgltkB

[quote name='usickenme']Guess what? 90% of the population doesn't know what it or talk about it let alone give a shit.

I also love hipster PC Nerds complaining about hipster Apple Nerds[/QUOTE]

Are you living in a third world country? I could ask any random dude off the street what they thought multitasking meant in an operating system and I know they'd tell me "running multiple programs."

[quote name='usickenme']Guess what? 90% of the population doesn't know what it or talk about it let alone give a shit.[/quote]

Haha, it's not 1992 anymore. Any computer literate person (which is a lot more than 10%) knows what "multitasking" means. Hell, if nothing else, they can figure it out from the word, or from another context of the word.

Seriously, that's a ridiculous statement.

I do believe people can understand what multitasking the word means, but in practice has no clue. Which got me thinking, how many people seriously need multitasking on a device that has applications like the iphone/ipad. I can listen to music and browse the web, granted I can't listen to pandora and browse the web. Personally I never use pandora so its not a big deal for me, others it might be a deal breaker.

Sure I can't have AIM running and play a game but there are push notifications, remember those? Which is apples way of saving some battery life. So that is covered with most chat applications. I get a push notification saying whatever the program needs to say...
Games take up a full screen so why would I need something running in the background when im playing Sword & Poker.

Can someone give me an example because for what I do on my phone...I wouldn't need multitasking. I guess if the iPad was a computer, that would be a major issue... but since its a slick ebook reader/media player i really dont see the need for multitasking.

I would need multitasking on a tablet like the iPad.

Example: When I'm reading and highlight research PDFs (printouts now, would be on a tablet in future) I often get online to go download an article they cited to read next, or to look something up related to it. I often read and respond to e-mails that pop up--or sometimes write one to a colleague I'm working with on a paper related to the one I'm reading. I usually have mp3's playing. I usually have MSN messenger up--some times for friend chatting, sometimes work related (especially since my girlfriend is in the same field and we do some research together).

So someone using the iPad as an eReader etc. has less need for it. For me a tablet will be an academic research tool. I don't need or want full computing capabilities. But I do need basic multitasking so I don't have to close out of my reading/markup program every time I need to do something else.

If you just want to use it for leisure to read, watch movies, play games etc., then yeah multitasking is no big deal, just like it's not on the iPhone. But it is an issue for some of us using it more for work related purposes etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I would need multitasking on a tablet like the iPad.

Example: When I'm reading and highlight research PDFs (printouts now, would be on a tablet in future) I often get online to go download an article they cited to read next, or to look something up related to it. I often read and respond to e-mails that pop up--or sometimes write one to a colleague I'm working with on a paper related to the one I'm reading. I usually have mp3's playing. I usually have MSN messenger up--some times for friend chatting, sometimes work related (especially since my girlfriend is in the same field and we do some research together).

So someone using the iPad as an eReader etc. has less need for it. For me a tablet will be an academic research tool. I don't need or want full computing capabilities. But I do need basic multitasking so I don't have to close out of my reading/markup program every time I need to do something else.

If you just want to use it for leisure to read, watch movies, play games etc., then yeah multitasking is no big deal, just like it's not on the iPhone. But it is an issue for some of us using it more for work related purposes etc.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I had high hopes that Apple would get this right... and they didn't.

I want whatever he's ^^ waiting for ;)

[quote name='naiku']I do believe people can understand what multitasking the word means, but in practice has no clue. Which got me thinking, how many people seriously need multitasking on a device that has applications like the iphone/ipad. I can listen to music and browse the web, granted I can't listen to pandora and browse the web. Personally I never use pandora so its not a big deal for me, others it might be a deal breaker.

Sure I can't have AIM running and play a game but there are push notifications, remember those? Which is apples way of saving some battery life. So that is covered with most chat applications. I get a push notification saying whatever the program needs to say...
Games take up a full screen so why would I need something running in the background when im playing Sword & Poker.

Can someone give me an example because for what I do on my phone...I wouldn't need multitasking. I guess if the iPad was a computer, that would be a major issue... but since its a slick ebook reader/media player i really dont see the need for multitasking.[/QUOTE]
On my Palm Pre right now, I have my RSS reader, music player, text messaging app, and a webpage I want to look at later all running at the same time.
Those are all things I use constantly while on my phone.

On my PC, I have several tabes in IE, WinRar, VLC, Winamp, a couple explorer windows, Borderlands, a couple PDFs, and uTorrent running at the same time.
Those are all things I use constantly when on my computer.

If I need to stop doing something and check something else, it's extremely easy for me to do that without losing any progress, whether or not it's a full screen application, on both platforms.

I don't know how Apple can try to sell something that's comparable to your average netbook and still restrict it so severely and in such a way that the device's full potential will never be utilized.

[quote name='Liquid 2']
I don't know how Apple can try to sell something that's comparable to your average netbook and still restrict it so severely and in such a way that the device's full potential will never be utilized.[/QUOTE]

I can see why they're doing it. They're selling it just as a multimedia machine that people pick up to read a magazine, or watch a video or play a game. They're not marketing it to replace netbooks and laptops so much as being something inbetween a smartphone and a laptop.

I think it's a mis-step. As I think the niche for tablets is more people that want them for work related purposes or school purposes etc. as it seems the main advantage over a netbook is being about to read and mark up documents, books etc. on a tablet with a stylus.

But they dropped the ball on that by not building in handwriting, not having multi tasking etc.

Hopefully they get it right in the 2nd generation or someone else does. The MS Courier looks kind of promising, though I don't really dig the 2 screen design.

[quote name='naiku']I guess if the iPad was a computer, that would be a major issue... but since its a slick ebook reader/media player i really dont see the need for multitasking.[/QUOTE]

That's what bothers me. If they were talking about it like it was just a ebook reader and media player, honestly, I wouldn't have much of a problem with them.

But, this being Apple, they of course have to talk about this like it's this "magical," revolutionary device that is profoundly going to change the world and the lives of everyone in it. No, it's going to display text and play MP3s and browse the web, big woop.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yeah, fuck marketing for...um, marketing. I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, myke. Totally. All marketing is bad, for marketing. Totally what I was saying.

Uh, no. Marketing in general, and Apple marketing, are two different things. There is a difference between saying "here is our product, it does this, it plays mp3s and videos and ebooks and has a browser" and being honest about it, and taking this thing which is literally a big iPod Touch, and saying "this device is MAGICAL, we hardly even understand how it's MAGIC is possible ourselves! We aren't even sure how it works! This will CHANGE THE WORLD, it's revolutionary, it's a WHOLE NEW CATEGORY OF PRODUCT, it's what the world has been waiting for. You don't have to change yourself to fit the product, it fits you! (unless you want to run unsigned code or see Flash content, that is, because that interferes with out App Store scam)."

But you're a Mac user, so I don't expect you to be reasonable. Whatever.

Their marketing works. That's the end of it.

The iPod kicked ass in the mp3 player market for years without having a radio tuner and other features, for example.

They hype of their stuff--and the stuff is well designed and built for sure--and people buy it up despite it often costing more and doing less than some competing devices.

I mean one is free to be annoyed by their marketing, but it works so it's good marketing obviously.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, myke. Totally. All marketing is bad, for marketing. Totally what I was saying.

Uh, no. Marketing in general, and Apple marketing, are two different things. There is a difference between saying "here is our product, it does this, it plays mp3s and videos and ebooks and has a browser" and being honest about it, and taking this thing which is literally a big iPod Touch, and saying "this device is MAGICAL, we hardly even understand how it's MAGIC is possible ourselves! We aren't even sure how it works! This will CHANGE THE WORLD, it's revolutionary, it's a WHOLE NEW CATEGORY OF PRODUCT, it's what the world has been waiting for. You don't have to change yourself to fit the product, it fits you! (unless you want to run unsigned code or see Flash content, that is, because that interferes with out App Store scam)."

But you're a Mac user, so I don't expect you to be reasonable. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between what you just wrote and Sony's "It Only Does Everything" marketing for the PS3? Sure Apple hypes up the iPad and lets the general public (like the fine folks here) fill in the blanks but take Sony in my example above which basically throws it in your face that the PS3 does EVERYTHING. I don't know your post history but I'm willing to bet you didn't create a post about PS3's marketing like you did with Apple's which basically means Apple successfully has people talking about the iPad.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, myke. Totally. All marketing is bad, for marketing. Totally what I was saying.

But you're a Mac user, so I don't expect you to be reasonable. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

Only Apple uses hyperbole in their marketing, of course.

[quote name='Kendro']What's the difference between what you just wrote and Sony's "It Only Does Everything" marketing for the PS3? Sure Apple hypes up the iPad and lets the general public (like the fine folks here) fill in the blanks but take Sony in my example above which basically throws it in your face that the PS3 does EVERYTHING. I don't know your post history but I'm willing to bet you didn't create a post about PS3's marketing like you did with Apple's which basically means Apple successfully has people talking about the iPad.[/QUOTE]

My PS3 refused to make me waffles.

I'm starting a class-action lawsuit. Who wants in?

[quote name='caltab']hulu app in the works for launch...as I keep saying the app's are whats gonna make this device

http://gizmodo.com/5469000/hulu-may-work-on-the-ipad-by-launch[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The device has short comings for what I need it to do, but apps may fill those gaps.

Lack of flash hurts, but that's something I'd mainly miss for TV shows on Hulu, the network sites etc, so Apps may fill that void.

I need stylus mark up for PDFs, books and word documents--maybe some apps and a capacitive stylus made by a third party company will fill that need.

Multitasking we're probably out of luck on, but I could probably live without that as long as it's very quick to close one app and on open another. If I can be marking up a PDFs, and can quickly close it out (Saving my mark up) and open up Safari to look up something online, close that broswer and and then open the PDF again right to where I was for instance, then multitasking isn't such a big need.

Why would an iTouch be completely useless outside the house? That's a device I'd find useless inside the house as I'd be listening to music on my stereo or PC, not an mp3 player. Surfing the net, checking e-mail etc. on my laptop, not the touch. Have no need for the apps or games as I have my laptop, 360, DS etc.

Seems like the iTouch is useful outside the home where you can listen to music on the go, look up something online if you're near a wifi hotspot, play games, use the apps etc. when not at a PC.

Now for me, a tablet like the iPad would primarily be used at home and in the office--but again I want a tablet for reading and marking up documents--something I don't currently have a device to do and just do with printouts and real books etc.

dmaul, serious question for you:

Are you going to mention your need to mark up a document 4 times a week until the iPad ends up supporting it?

I got sympathy for the guy - when I saw the iPad, that's exactly what I wanted to see - all with a stylus and shit.

I'm not really interested in the iPad because it's not yet shown me what it does that separates it from my iPhone. hulu? Okay, nice, I guess - but do you need TV with you *all the fucking time*?

Perhaps I'm forgetting what it does that's so great, but it's not even an iPhone, it's a big-ass iPod Touch. There are things it could do, given its processing power, things it *should* do, given the need to show why it's a relevant, important product - and it doesn't. This is totally one of those things.

[quote name='mykevermin']I got sympathy for the guy - when I saw the iPad, that's exactly what I wanted to see - all with a stylus and shit.
[/QUOTE]

And for academics and students I could see wanting that in a device with this form factor.

But c'mon. The guy has the most posts in this thread and all he does is cry about how he doesn't want it because there's no 'marking' on it yet.

:roll:

I suppose beating that drum over and over again is preferable to posts from people who despise users of Apple products as thoughtless reactionary hipsters who buy everything Apple, who in turn come off as thoughtless reactionary users who will spite any product with no afterthought precisely because it is an Apple product.

But to each their own.

;)

EDIT: Me? I don't see quality marking up coming with this dude until it has a stylus anyway, so I'll wait on the revision that includes one - code name: Godot.

[quote name='mykevermin']
I'm not really interested in the iPad because it's not yet shown me what it does that separates it from my iPhone. hulu? Okay, nice, I guess - but do you need TV with you *all the fucking time*?[/QUOTE]
No Hulu. That requires Flash. There will be no Flash. Ever. Per Jobso, Flash is the scourge of OSX. I love that he's bought into the cult as much as anyone. The dude is a hoot.

Anyhow, there's one thing the iPhone doesn't do that the iPad won't do, either. But hey, if you tire of your laptop and wish you had a third device of some kind on which you might throw together a big presentation in iWork, iPad is all over that bullshit. They NAILED that one.

EDIT: If anyone else enjoys Jobs, on the rare chance you've never heard of it, try http://www.fakesteve.net/. It's usually good for a laugh, and he really beats on AT&T.

[quote name='mykevermin']
EDIT: Me? I don't see quality marking up coming with this dude until it has a stylus anyway, so I'll wait on the revision that includes one - code name: Godot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I doubt the iPad will every fit my needs on that front. It will probably take a tablet with a wacom screen (most accurate for stylus writing) and built from the ground up around stylus use, marking shit up etc. Using a capacitive stylus on a capacitative screen like this can be ok, but probably only if the device and software is really build around that. Vs. being a tacked on option on a device optimized for finger touch.

And yeah, I know I get repetitive on it. Just habit from posting at Mobile Read where there's tons of threads about the device and what people need, so I've posted in so many places over there that I come back here and don't realize it's over and over again in the same thread here vs. multiple threads/forums there. :p

Anyway, I just explaining in that last post why the iPod would be something I'd use mostly at home and the office, where as I'd pretty much never use an iPod Touch in either location, more than lamenting the lack of the features I want again.

[quote name='dothog']No Hulu. That requires Flash. There will be no Flash. Ever. Per Jobso, Flash is the scourge of OSX. I love that he's bought into the cult as much as anyone. The dude is a hoot.
[/QUOTE]

There's apparently an App for hulu coming out (much like the Youtube App) that gets around that.

You couldn't go to hulu.com in the web browser on the iPad and watch video because of lack of Flash. But you can launch the free (presumably) Hulu app and watch video. Just struck me as very odd that someone would find an iTouch only useful as home, when it's a portable device designed to be used on the go. Everyone should have better ways to do everything it does at home be it listening to music, net surfing, watching video, playing games etc.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
You couldn't go to hulu.com in the web browser on the iPad and watch video because of lack of Flash. But you can launch the free (presumably) Hulu app and watch video.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But if there's an App for that on the iPad, is it possible there would be one for the iPhone? I wouldn't see why not -- it's just denying easy App sales and/or ad revenues. It'll be interesting to see if Apple bullies people via the App Store to create "exclusive" apps for the iPad.

[quote name='dothog']Fair enough. But if there's an App for that on the iPad, is it possible there would be one for the iPhone? I wouldn't see why not -- it's just denying easy App sales and/or ad revenues. It'll be interesting to see if Apple bullies people via the App Store to create "exclusive" apps for the iPad.[/QUOTE]

Probably.

It's something just announced yesterday. I'd be surprised if it didn't come to the iPhone/iTouch as well, assuming it really comes out.

bread's done
Back