Arizona Minions, RISE!

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
Thought it would be nice to have our very own thread. It would also be nice to meet up with one another and play some games, or go on some cag deal hunts.

Favorite spot for trades and classic and current game titles & hardware. Everything from Atari to PS3.

new-bookmans-logo.jpg

www.bookmans.com

Locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...33.815666,-111.84082&spn=8.28405,12.65625&z=6

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thesimplicity']I'm from Tucson. I've lived here for about a year and I don't really know anyone. A Gamestop just opened about three minutes from my house on Kolb & 22nd. I spend way too much money there.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Tucson also, but on the northwest side.

I just moved out to Tubac from Nashville. I went to the mall in Tuscon and to a gamestop in Nogalas. They had cubivore, but the girl who spoke no english couldnt find it and proceeded to tear the manual and box up in front of me before checking me out. Its been an experience.

Hello all CAGERS!

Tucson gamer here. I buy games and deals online mostly unless something killer goes on at a BM store like Circuit Cuty, BB, or such. I tend to stay AWAY from Bookmans. They RIP you off. i mean, say they sell a game for 40 bucks, your trade credit is 20, and cash is 10! Thats only IF they take your stuff. Oh and another thing, say you sell them an LCD monitor. Its a 23inch APPLE HD Cinema monitor that (yes this is true) was shipped twice, paid once (lucky I suppose) and Bookmans offered me only 80 bucks IN TRADE. These are very expensive monitors. I asked the guy who handled the trade and told me 80 is the most because they would only sell it for 130. I told him how much they retail for which happens to be 899.99 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...p_mac/mac_accessories/displays&nplm=M9178LL/A
and he said this was an older model discontinued for about a year so thats why. When I laughed and shook my head, I ended up selling the extra monitor on craigslist for 700 bucks cash.

Another aspect of Bookmans that angers me is the HUGE markup on the items they buy. To test my ongoing theory on how they have these tremendous mark-ups, I took in some items that i could get rid of, and they are..

An Apple Imac thats about 3 years old. Still a good machine, but not used anymore. Bookmans took it and gave me 275 in trade for.
Second was a NeoGeo CD-Z system with two control pads. Great system, but I like the old bulkier one I have. Bookmans offered me 150 in trade.
Last, I took in a Gforce 8800GTS card and Bookmans bought it for 75 in trade.

Total trade given was...500 even. After about an hour wait for some manager to sign the stupid trade slip, I was off an a spree LOL. I'll get into what i scored in a minute. After about two weeks or so, I came back to check on if the stuff I sold was still there. Two were there. The GForce card was sold about a day erlier, and the electronics guy Scott, told me they sold it for 225! Bookmans made 150 bucks! Thats a 300% markup from my 75 trade. It should have been 150.

The Imac was being sold for 900 bucks! Its not even WORTH that by todays standards! Bookmans stands to make 625 in PROFIT. Thats about a 340% markup. By their "rules" of they offer you half what it will sell for, this should have been 550.

last, the Neogeo was sold for 475 bucks! They bundled it with a game, Sam Sho 2, and only one controller. Bookmans stands to make 325. Again, another 300%+ markup. Should have been 300.

Bookmans paid me 500 for a total of 1600.00 they WILL make when they sell my stuff. Now, I know they are a business, but let this be a warning for most of you that they give the LOWEST possible amount for your stuff based on GUESSING what the item is worth. If I took cash, my offer would be only 250!!

My point? Unless you need the money right NOW, go with eBay or craigslist FIRST. More money for your time and trouble. Oh the transactions here were made in January of this year.

Oh so what did I score with my 500 in trade? Well recently I spent it! I bought the new design SNES system in box for a sad, 75 bucks. They mark it up 15 because this one is RARE! LOL!!!!
I also got some DS games, a couple 360 and Wii games, some PC games, Rock Band for 100 bucks, and some DVD sets, and some extra copies of Mega Man 2, 5 and 6 on the NES at 25 each.

Not too bad for me, but imagine what i COULD have got if I sold this stuff their way? But I took the hit to proove something utterly sad. LOL

I'm sure I've registered myself on this thread before, but it's been a while and my work moved across town.

I'm thinking we need to unite in this thread. I'm tired of driving from Superstition Springs to Arrowhead to Chandler Mall to Fashion Square only to find everything gone by the time I get there. I've had my fair share of bountiful hauls and I'm sure I've (inadvertently) pissed off a few of you as well as I'm sure I've been two steps behind you from time to time.

My thought is this; we probably represent a good portion of the valley metro area, Tucson, Yuma, Flagstaff, and any other place around the state that has a mall, Target, Bookmans, etc. So why not use that to our advantage?

I've created a Google map that we can add to and demonstrate coverage areas. Feel free to peg any major areas you frequent and are willing to keep an eye on if requested/begged/bribed. (You may need to be logged in to modify the map. Not sure.. PM me if you need help.)

The way I see this working is that in the event that a sale or clearance happens, we make ourselves available at least to the idea of checking our local area if another AZ CAG is able to do the same or is in dire need of a specific item. This means that we can maybe also stop trying to outfox each other when the juicy clearances hit and such.

Okay I'm gonna start trying to promote our thread on the site to get the attention of any other AZ CAGs. Feel free to PM me to place your pins on the map. I've added all the places in my area that I am willing to check for any of you that are looking for something specific. Please frequent this thread with any findings or requests you have and keep it bumped. Let's do this!

I know game hunting isn't really a serious thing for most or any of us, but if we're gonna go out there, we might as well make it efficient, right?

Just curious, anyone looking for anything in particular? I can keep my eyes open for stuff if anyone's lookin'. Also, don't miss Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for $39.99 tomorrow (3/20) at Fry's or PM'd anywhere that does so.

Anybody know where the buds at in AZ... ive been here over 3 months and all i can find are alcoholics.

Also, the gamestops near me are complete shit, and i havent been able to find a mom and pop store anywhere. I live about 50 minutes outside of tuscon so going there often isnt much of an option.

I will hopefully be attending UA this coming fall.

Sorry to burst your bubble, that is what Tucson is. Alcoholics, Nascar freaks, rednecks...wait I said Nascar freaks.......and well, there isnt much as for Mom and Pop store for gaming...except one I know thats OKAY, not great. Its called Metro Gnome located on Speedway and Alvernon area. They sell all systems and offer decent trade, but some prices are a bit high for the item.

[quote name='jikijikijiki']Sorry to burst your bubble, that is what Tucson is. Alcoholics, Nascar freaks, rednecks...wait I said Nascar freaks.......and well, there isnt much as for Mom and Pop store for gaming...except one I know thats OKAY, not great. Its called Metro Gnome located on Speedway and Alvernon area. They sell all systems and offer decent trade, but some prices are a bit high for the item.[/quote] Yep, that's exactly what Tucson is. Lots more rednecks than gamers. One good place to get and flip games is at the swap meet. You buy whatever cheap games are there, then go sell them to one of the actual video game stores. The one in the building with XXX DVDs is the best to flip at. They will usually give me double. If anyone needs help getting deals, I can because I live right where there's bookman's, BB, CC, metro gnome, 2 gamestops in walking distance.

[quote name='karmapolice']So I finally moved into my apartment in Tucson. What are some good things to do in the area? Im about a half hour north of the airport.[/quote] There's nothing good to do in Tucson.

[quote name='karmapolice']So I finally moved into my apartment in Tucson. What are some good things to do in the area? Im about a half hour north of the airport.[/quote]
I just visited Golf N Stuff for the first time this past weekend. It's basically an arcade with miniature golf, laser tag, and a bunch of other crap. I had fun. There's a Sega World Sports Grille opening at the Foothills Mall fairly soon. Other than that, the main attractions around here are shows and bars. Eh.

[quote name='thesimplicity']I just visited Golf N Stuff for the first time this past weekend. It's basically an arcade with miniature golf, laser tag, and a bunch of other crap. I had fun. There's a Sega World Sports Grille opening at the Foothills Mall fairly soon. Other than that, the main attractions around here are shows and bars. Eh.[/quote] There are some pretty cool indie music shows that are cheap and fun to go to.

4th Avenue and Congress St are your best bets for clubs, bars, and small concert venues. There are also a bunch of playhouses around town, and the Temple of Music and Art. Golf n Stuff is amusing though usually swarmed with children. There also a couple paintballing ranges. If you like games aside from the video kind, there are a few independent places like Heroes & Villains (comics, minis, RPGs, CCGs), Nemesis Games (no comics), and Amazing Discoveries (no comics). They all have spaces to play, but I think H&V is the friendliest in terms of just showing up during the public play times. Their store is also bright and clean, whereas Amazing Discoveries always smells like teenage boys (although the guy that owns it is cool). There is also The Loft, which plays a lot of independent films, and also a lot of cult classics. Bookmans is fun to browse, but I always go there with an idea of what I want is worth, because as was stated earlier, their prices can be total rip-offs.
So, there is too stuff to do in Tucson while sober. :p

Heading back to Phoenix after about a year of living out here in Gilbert. Cant wait to hit up Bookmans. Havent been there in a dogs age it seems! the Gamestop over here at Superstition Springs Mall doesnt do anything for me...... But then again.....Gamestop has never really impressed me no matter where I go.

[quote name='padumavati']4th Avenue and Congress St are your best bets for clubs, bars, and small concert venues. There are also a bunch of playhouses around town, and the Temple of Music and Art. Golf n Stuff is amusing though usually swarmed with children. There also a couple paintballing ranges. If you like games aside from the video kind, there are a few independent places like Heroes & Villains (comics, minis, RPGs, CCGs), Nemesis Games (no comics), and Amazing Discoveries (no comics). They all have spaces to play, but I think H&V is the friendliest in terms of just showing up during the public play times. Their store is also bright and clean, whereas Amazing Discoveries always smells like teenage boys (although the guy that owns it is cool). There is also The Loft, which plays a lot of independent films, and also a lot of cult classics. Bookmans is fun to browse, but I always go there with an idea of what I want is worth, because as was stated earlier, their prices can be total rip-offs.
So, there is too stuff to do in Tucson while sober. :p[/quote] Funtastick's is more fun than golf n stuff. They have a huge go kart track and laser tag. Out of those game stores, I like amazing discoveries the best because I go play MTG there and know most of the people. Harcastle used to be awesome til it closed down, but smelled bad. To make bookman's prices amazing, just get a shitload of old books on the cheap and trade them in. If you're going to the one on speedway there is a small bookstore called mostly books in the same strip mall. They'll take alot of the books that bookman's doesn't want and you can buy books from them and take them to bookman's. The best bet is kid's books because they'll take almost all as long as theyr'e in good condition.

[quote name='darkslime']Funtastick's is more fun than golf n stuff. They have a huge go kart track and laser tag. Out of those game stores, I like amazing discoveries the best because I go play MTG there and know most of the people. Harcastle used to be awesome til it closed down, but smelled bad. To make bookman's prices amazing, just get a shitload of old books on the cheap and trade them in. If you're going to the one on speedway there is a small bookstore called mostly books in the same strip mall. They'll take alot of the books that bookman's doesn't want and you can buy books from them and take them to bookman's. The best bet is kid's books because they'll take almost all as long as theyr'e in good condition.[/QUOTE]

I forget about Funtasticks because it's a million miles from my side of town. :p
Hardcastle is now Nemesis, they moved locations, changed names, and got air conditioning! Thank goodness for that.
I thought Bookman's would only give you B trade for books you bring in, so you couldn't trade it for video games?

[quote name='padumavati']I forget about Funtasticks because it's a million miles from my side of town. :p
Hardcastle is now Nemesis, they moved locations, changed names, and got air conditioning! Thank goodness for that.
I thought Bookman's would only give you B trade for books you bring in, so you couldn't trade it for video games?[/quote] No, now there's only one kind of credit at Bookman's. I know nemesis is now hardcastle, but the new owners are assholes, and there used to be computers to play CS source, C&C, and some other games on lan. Without the computers I get so bored during the waiting times in MTG tourneys, and my friends won't come anymore because they only went to play counter strike. >_

[quote name='darkslime']No, now there's only one kind of credit at Bookman's.[/quote]
Woa, when did that happen? Do they still accept old credit slips?

Nemesis is a vast improvement over over Hardcastle, in my opinion, if only because I don't feel like I'm going get shingles just from walking through the doorway.

[quote name='thesimplicity']Woa, when did that happen? Do they still accept old credit slips?

Nemesis is a vast improvement over over Hardcastle, in my opinion, if only because I don't feel like I'm going get shingles just from walking through the doorway.[/quote]Yeah, they still accept old B credit slips and count them as A credit.

Yeah, it Hardcastle smelled pretty bad. I would never sit on the couches because you would sink into the smell of ass.

Sorry for late reply.Also, if you are trading things in at Bookman's, always bargain with them and ask for a little more credit, like if they're gonna give you 50 ask if they'll do 65 and they'll usually do it.

[quote name='Dynasty1756']Does anybody wanna meet up at the ASU main in tempe?[/QUOTE]

For what?

And, oh, hey, another AZ CAG here. :) Any meetups going on around here?

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']For what?

And, oh, hey, another AZ CAG here. :) Any meetups going on around here?[/quote]

To meet up. Or even trade games if you have a trade list

Also Tempe here :) ASU Main!

Last edited by a moderator:
I live down in Sierra Vista... Pretty small town but i can find some few nice deals once in a while. Hit me up if you visit or live in Sierra Vista.

Alright. People in the phoenix area, sound off. We need to get a meetup going. Can't seem to find anyone around here that plays anything other than WoW or Sims.

[quote name='Cyb3-rr']Alright. People in the phoenix area, sound off. We need to get a meetup going. Can't seem to find anyone around here that plays anything other than WoW or Sims.[/quote]

What did you have in mind?

North Phoenix here. It's nice to know you guys are out here, because I didn't know about this forum. I'm a big flipper and a Nintendo gamer.

Hopefully this is not miscontrued as advertising or anything, but if anyone was looking for a new Wii or new Wii Fit before the holiday, let me know and I can get them for a small markup.

It'd be so funny to do a meeting of the flippers and then go around to a set of stores together and flip. It would just make me laugh to see us taking all of these copies of the same games to Blockbuster or somewhere else.

where would we meetup? sometimes bookmans does videogame related events. that would be cool. I'm not really a fan of D&B or gameworks but those are expensive possibilities.

[quote name='converse']It'd be so funny to do a meeting of the flippers and then go around to a set of stores together and flip. It would just make me laugh to see us taking all of these copies of the same games to Blockbuster or somewhere else.[/QUOTE]
A never ending Cranium Bukake chain. We all go in together for one copy of Bukkake. One trades it in, the next in line buys it from Blockbuster and trades it into another Blockbuster. Next person in line buys it and trades it, and so on and so forth.

It'd just be hillarious to try to crank out a 1,000 in profit on Bukkake.

Where are the best place to buy games in the Phoenix area? I just moved to Paradise Valley in Dec. and wanna know the best place to buy games.

Im into DS games and about to buy a 360, so I need some places to go to get cheap games.

Any help????

[quote name='foundation']I'm sure I've registered myself on this thread before, but it's been a while and my work moved across town.

I'm thinking we need to unite in this thread. I'm tired of driving from Superstition Springs to Arrowhead to Chandler Mall to Fashion Square only to find everything gone by the time I get there. I've had my fair share of bountiful hauls and I'm sure I've (inadvertently) pissed off a few of you as well as I'm sure I've been two steps behind you from time to time.

My thought is this; we probably represent a good portion of the valley metro area, Tucson, Yuma, Flagstaff, and any other place around the state that has a mall, Target, Bookmans, etc. So why not use that to our advantage?

I've created a Google map that we can add to and demonstrate coverage areas. Feel free to peg any major areas you frequent and are willing to keep an eye on if requested/begged/bribed. (You may need to be logged in to modify the map. Not sure.. PM me if you need help.)

The way I see this working is that in the event that a sale or clearance happens, we make ourselves available at least to the idea of checking our local area if another AZ CAG is able to do the same or is in dire need of a specific item. This means that we can maybe also stop trying to outfox each other when the juicy clearances hit and such.

Okay I'm gonna start trying to promote our thread on the site to get the attention of any other AZ CAGs. Feel free to PM me to place your pins on the map. I've added all the places in my area that I am willing to check for any of you that are looking for something specific. Please frequent this thread with any findings or requests you have and keep it bumped. Let's do this!

I know game hunting isn't really a serious thing for most or any of us, but if we're gonna go out there, we might as well make it efficient, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm in Mesa but just discovered this thread and the google maps thing is cool, maybe If I have something to contribute - I'll post (in this thread??) and then someone can tell me how to edit it (I've just never needed to use google maps in that way, I love Gmail, I think i'm just too lazy to play around with the other google services) - anyway great idea, thanks.

Queen Creek here (woop woop) which is about 30 minutes east of Phoenix
I always have a shit load of ps3 games for trade
I can meet up if you live in Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert area PM if interested

bread's done
Back