Arizona Minions, RISE!

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
Thought it would be nice to have our very own thread. It would also be nice to meet up with one another and play some games, or go on some cag deal hunts.

Favorite spot for trades and classic and current game titles & hardware. Everything from Atari to PS3.

new-bookmans-logo.jpg

www.bookmans.com

Locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...33.815666,-111.84082&spn=8.28405,12.65625&z=6

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='adriley313']anyone going to phx comic con
me and my friend are planning on going
http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/

just looked it up last night after reading about wondercon
guys from the Guild will be there
Xander and adam baldwin
sounds like a good time to be had
would be cool to meet some fellow CAGs and maybe hang out
plan on buying lost of posters and swag

it will be my first[/QUOTE]

I plan on going; just moved to the Phoenix area. Probably be riding solo there.

First time looking in the regional deals section and thought I'd shout out here. Born and raised all my life in the Phoenix Metro area. If there is any kind of group of Phoenix CAGs I'm down to join.

ive been looking as im in phx and lookin for fellows CAGs to hang out with

There is Devastation coming up in October.
Video game convention

I always forget about this section and usually tend to look at the deals only. I know I am as guilty as anyone, but it'd be nice to see more activity on here for the AZ contingent. There was the Metro TRU that closed down last month, not a word of it here. I heard a pretty good rumor from the manager/owner of the 7th Street PNT that the Bethany Home store was closing.

Has anyone found any small shops that sell games? I know there are some like Fallout Games, FixAndPlay, and to a lesser extent Play N Trade. I am always looking for somewhere new to check out games and selection in the hunt to complete my various collections.

Well, near my area (Gilbert) there is a store called GameZone, though they are a bit pricey I have to admit. I am wondering the same thing actually.

Right now I am curious to see if anyone knows about DIRT 3 lowering in price. And even Thief Deadly Shadows for the PC. I missed out on Dirt 3 being 15 bucks on Amazon! :(

Anyways, nice to meet everyone!

Has anybody in the greater Phoenix area scored any "new converted to used" PS2s? I'm looking to snag one as a back-up to my old fattie but haven't had much time to hit any stores. Those that I've called haven't had a clue as to what I'm asking.

Yeah...it looks to be a good start to their line-up. It is nice that they've actually managed to create and maintain a good con here for quite a while now.

Hmm, might have to make a trip up to Phoenix at the end of May. I've always wanted to go to a con, this might be a good "starter" con for me. :p

My crew AZHP will be doing the video gaming room for Phoenix Comicon for the 7th straight year and I promise it will be HYPE!

I'll have some big announcements within the next month or so and i'll be sure to post in here to let you all know as soon as possible.

I could also potentially help set up a CAG meetup if we have enough people interested.

-FrankCastleAZ

[quote name='FrankCastleAZ']My crew AZHP will be doing the video gaming room for Phoenix Comicon for the 7th straight year and I promise it will be HYPE!

I'll have some big announcements within the next month or so and i'll be sure to post in here to let you all know as soon as possible.

I could also potentially help set up a CAG meetup if we have enough people interested.

-FrankCastleAZ[/QUOTE]

I'm down for it, but will only be able to be there for Fri, Sat, and Sun.

I guess you can't say it's another round of Blockbuster Video closings because they seem to be on an endless loop, but I found out tomorrow my local Blockbuster closes on 83rd Ave and Deer Valley.

I passed by the Play N Trade on 59th Ave and Thunderbird and it was also closed. I didn't catch when they closed, but they are gone.

Fallout Games looks like they are still open in Phoenix & Tempe. I haven't tried any other PNT's. Not sure if Fix N Play is still open on 107th Ave and Indian School.

I find Fallout games overpriced for the most part and only use it for hard to find games like Spectrobes CE for $20 sealed.

Id be down for a CAG meet up to meet fellow AZ CAGs.
Haven't decided if I wanna dress up. Was at last year and plan to be at this one too.

Just moved to Tucson a little over a year ago and I'm loving the Arizona pride. Glad I found this thread. Definitely heading out to Phoenix Comic Con this year.

Is game trading at Bookmans really better than places like Best Buy or Gamestop? I've never traded any games to Bookmans but their used games are pretty overpriced unless you're looking for something harder to find. Does the TIV usually offset this? I'm kind of sad I never got to use Level Up Games before they closed down in the Foothills Mall.

If any fellow AZ CAGs want to play something online, I'm metallicoholic on XBL and doughboy_no_more on PS3.

[quote name='adriley313']I find Fallout games overpriced for the most part and only use it for hard to find games like Spectrobes CE for $20 sealed.

Id be down for a CAG meet up to meet fellow AZ CAGs.
Haven't decided if I wanna dress up. Was at last year and plan to be at this one too.[/QUOTE]

I'm so sad I'm just now posting in this thread! I moved to Mesa from Tucson back in 2010. I was at Devastation and would have TOTALLY met up with you! (I was cosplaying as Balrog if you happened to have seen me) I even think we've traded on here before or I've at least come across your trade list lol.

Definitely down to meet fellow AZ CAGs!

[quote name='metallicoholic']Is game trading at Bookmans really better than places like Best Buy or Gamestop? I've never traded any games to Bookmans but their used games are pretty overpriced unless you're looking for something harder to find. Does the TIV usually offset this? I'm kind of sad I never got to use Level Up Games before they closed down in the Foothills Mall.[/QUOTE]

Their trade in values are OKAY depending on what you trade in. The main reason to trade there is because you can run across random rare or harder to find games there. Especially the Speedway and Grant location near campus. I've seen rare stuff pass through there several times (even snagged Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for $5).

It's fun to go in there and see what's been traded in.

I used to always go to Bookmans, but not so much anymore. I like finding rare movies from there. Never bought that much games since they are usually way overpriced. Speedway and Grant location is my favorite in Tucson.

Has anyone ever done trade ins at Zia Records?

There are so many people from Tucson here, that surprises me, but it may just be the Tucson people are coming here and the Phoenix people have not discovered this forum.

I've done a trade or two at Zia, but I never really bothered with them. I don't do a lot of game trades anywhere except for GameStop, and that is only if it's the right type of deal or promotion. I have found that Bookmans was not all that competitive on pricing, but I did offload some penny guides there in the past. Their stuff is so over priced that I don't usually shop there. I know Bookmans has some hidden gems, but I've always used my time elsewhere.

I'm very selective no matter where I shop. Some stuff I find a better deal or availability at Fallout, which other stuff at PNT or GameStop. Best Buy was a place I had been buying most of my used games, but for some reason they have chosen to block me from making online purchases. Most of the in-store stuff is crap and it was much more reliable online, so when they put an end to it so did I.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']There are so many people from Tucson here, that surprises me, but it may just be the Tucson people are coming here and the Phoenix people have not discovered this forum.

I'm very selective no matter where I shop. Some stuff I find a better deal or availability at Fallout, which other stuff at PNT or GameStop.[/QUOTE]

Once I graduated, there wasn't much left in Tucson. Chalk me up as a Phoenician (?) just now finding this thread. :) How is Fallout btw? Been meaning to get over there and I have yet to.

[quote name='BornVillain']I used to always go to Bookmans, but not so much anymore. I like finding rare movies from there. Never bought that much games since they are usually way overpriced. Speedway and Grant location is my favorite in Tucson.

Has anyone ever done trade ins at Zia Records?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Zia is pretty bad with the trade in values they give you. If you're trying to trade in old old stuff like Genesis, half the time they won't take it, but will turn around and be selling Sega games anyway. :whistle2:s Lately it's been slim pickings at Bookmans here in Mesa except for their movies.

Fallout is okay, probably even better if you are looking for retro stuff which is not my genre. Some stuff is definitely priced too high, but in general I found them to be about the same price as GameStop (minus 10% like rewards card). There is virtually no selection of new stuff unless it's what they purged from other stores closing. The store in Tempe was worthless. I didn't even know they had a store in Tempe and when I heard about it I went down there to check it out. The bad thing with them in general is that they do not get enough foot traffic to get any decent games traded in. They usually buy closeouts of other stores to build their inventory so they end up with a lot of the sports titles and other undesirables. I've only purchased 4 items there in the past 6 months which pales in comparison to Best Buy (new or used) and GameStop. I would put them a notch below Play N Trade as well, but better than a place like Zia.

Their trade values are pretty bad. I think they give you 1/3 of the lowest used price on Amazon as I've seen them look that up in reference for trades.

I went to the one in Phoenix cause we were going near TRU before it closed.
I looked at there stuff lots of retro stuff but all I bought was Spectrobes CE sealed for $20 as I wanted it in my collection.

I usually use Gamestop when they have deals like $10 more or the tiered trade and get % more for the more games your trade in. Otherwise its CAG or Amazon.

I went to Bookmans which is okay I did find some cheap pokemon games to fill my collection.

Also if you guys are going to comic con would be cool to meet some other CAGs.
May be going as Captain Hammer as my first cosplay.
Im excited.

Games are few and far between at Bookmans in Mesa. I like going there for computer parts, blu rays and kids stuff. Books too... If you're into that sort of thing. ;)

So anyone going to Comic Con?
Cant wait, gonna be helping a lil at my friends booth, artist vs Rogue. Lots of cool video game art like Mass Effect and Dragon Age

Okay everyone. Someone pick a CAG meet up time at PCC 2012 in my crew's gaming room.
Considering I'll be massively busy running things, I don't know if I will have time at that given point to hang out and chat for long but I'll do my best.

Speaking of my crew's gaming room at PCC 2012... Here's the skinny-

azhpatpcc2012.png

AZHP Gaming will be running the video gaming at Phoenix Comicon for the 7th straight year!

We'll be on the 2nd floor of the Phoenix Convention Center in rooms 230 and 231A-C running video gaming for over 40 hours.

Casual Gaming is available Open-Close

Tournament Gaming listed below is for the starting times of the tournaments.

A live stream of the gaming tournaments (with commentators) by Team hAZmat will be featured on our twitch.tv page and Team hAZmat's twitch.tv page

Our partners will also be in the gaming room featuring their products including Aqua Red Clothing and many others TBA in the coming 2 weeks.

General Rules
Tournament Rulesets (A few of the newer games' rulesets will be listed soon)

Tournament Prizes will be announced within the next week and this post will be updated

THURSDAY-

4pm - Open
11:30pm - Close

FRIDAY-

10am- Open
12n - Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
3pm - King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
6pm - Soul Calibur V (PS3)
9pm - Mortal Kombat (PS3)

SATURDAY-

10am- Open
12n - BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND (PS3)
3pm - Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
6pm - Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 (PS3)
9pm - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 2012 (PS3)

SUNDAY-

10am- Open
12n- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360)
4pm - Close

-FrankCastleAZ

No gears, sad face.

I will be at comic con thursday nite, sat and sunday.
Look for the umbreon ears near Indy.

Will also be helping at my friends booth of video game art, be sure to look for Artist vs rogue.

[quote name='adriley313']No gears, sad face.

I will be at comic con thursday nite, sat and sunday.
Look for the umbreon ears near Indy.

Will also be helping at my friends booth of video game art, be sure to look for Artist vs rogue.[/QUOTE]

We'll have Gears for casual play on 4 networked 360s the majority of the convention.

You helping Anabel?

You should help organize an AZ meetup in the video gaming room. I don't really have the time to contact the AZ members that have posted here. If you would like to do that it would be really cool to meet local CAGs.

-FrankCastleAZ

I'll be at Phoenix Comicon, but I have to work on Friday, and I volunteer every year so I'll be down in Registration for much of the afternoon on Saturday. I'll try and stop by the game room when I can.

If anyone wants to meet up in the game room and say hi let me know.
Will try and set something up since Frank will be way to busy.
I have a another group gathering im hosting on saturday night and otherwise im free for most of the event besides major panels like Eureka, Star trek and the sorts.

Hope to see you all there, if you see me feel free to say hi.
Im shiny Umbreon.

It seems like we had a major swing of Play N Trades close down now. The only one I am aware of is on 48th Street (Tatum) and Bell. Fallout Games added a store to Tempe (Southern & McClintock I think) as well as their location on 43rd Avenue and Bell. I haven't been to We Fix 'Em or whatever they are called off 107th Avenue and Indian School, not sure if they are still open. The same for Axis Games off 51st Avenue and Indian School.

It'd sure be nice if we had more indie game shops here, but I don't blame them as so many of the shops have gone under that it's a pretty tough market without advertising.

Corrected from above:

Avis Games on 51st Ave & Indian School
Fix & Play on 107th Ave & Indian School

Both open, I checked them out again yesterday. I thought of another one too, TRX2 on 35th Ave & Peoria.

[quote name='PhoenixAZ']It seems like we had a major swing of Play N Trades close down now. The only one I am aware of is on 48th Street (Tatum) and Bell. Fallout Games added a store to Tempe (Southern & McClintock I think) as well as their location on 43rd Avenue and Bell. I haven't been to We Fix 'Em or whatever they are called off 107th Avenue and Indian School, not sure if they are still open. The same for Axis Games off 51st Avenue and Indian School.

It'd sure be nice if we had more indie game shops here, but I don't blame them as so many of the shops have gone under that it's a pretty tough market without advertising.[/QUOTE]

Blame GameSlop.

Just adding my line as a new CAG member (though 6 months of lurking before hand), representing Chandler, AZ. Nothing else important to note, but its good to see some AZ posts, most of the time I see nothing but east coast and CA members.

Hey AZ CAGs orPhoenix area CAGs.
Anyone going to Saboten Con this weekend, its from Sat-Mon.

http://www.facebook.com/sabotencon
I shall be there but don't think I will be cosplaying my Umbreon, or maybe i will.
I also know Frank with be running the gaming section.

So if anyone wants to say hi or chill hit me up.

Just chiming in as an AZ Cag in Scottsdale. No particular deals that I've come across to post. I would recommend Fallout Games as a store of choice for classic cartridge games and systems. There's a Fallout Games at 41st Avenue and Bell, and another one down in Tempe. I also favor the Play-N-Trade at Tatum and Bell.

Fallout games? I was not really impressed with them and over all i would rater just go to ebay.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Just chiming in as an AZ Cag in Scottsdale. No particular deals that I've come across to post. I would recommend Fallout Games as a store of choice for classic cartridge games and systems. There's a Fallout Games at 41st Avenue and Bell, and another one down in Tempe. I also favor the Play-N-Trade at Tatum and Bell.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Richard Kain']Just chiming in as an AZ Cag in Scottsdale. No particular deals that I've come across to post. I would recommend Fallout Games as a store of choice for classic cartridge games and systems. There's a Fallout Games at 41st Avenue and Bell, and another one down in Tempe. I also favor the Play-N-Trade at Tatum and Bell.[/QUOTE]

There is still a Play N Trade open? Wow. There used to be one in Tucson near campus, but it closed down. I do like Fallout Games here in Tempe though.

Although you can get many of the items you will need at a local drug store, the quality is not worth the price. Sometimes you just buy the equipment and it breaks soon. Sometimes you don't even get to use it that much. Swim shops are stores which specialize in the Torrey Smith Super Bowl XLVII Jersey right swimming tools which are made from top quality and are desirable to be worn during swimming. You wouldn't take your vehicle to a veterinarian would you? Then Arthur Jones Super Bowl Jersey why would you buy Super Bowl XLVII Dennis Pitta jersey swimming equipment from a store that does not specialize in it?

bread's done
Back