Arizona Minions, RISE!

GTmaster39

CAGiversary!
Thought it would be nice to have our very own thread. It would also be nice to meet up with one another and play some games, or go on some cag deal hunts.

Favorite spot for trades and classic and current game titles & hardware. Everything from Atari to PS3.

new-bookmans-logo.jpg

www.bookmans.com

Locations:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...33.815666,-111.84082&spn=8.28405,12.65625&z=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Im moving to peoria and all im seeing for internet providers are qwest and cox.
what are you guys using? are either of those decent? i have at&t and am pretty happy with it but they dont serve that area.

Yea internet providers suck around here... Wish we had FIOS like on the East Coast.

Anyways what up AZ!!? Anyone WTT for my copy of Call of Juarez BIB in here? I'm getting no love on CL. Thought I might just throw that out there..

Tucson here. I go to the Bookman's on grant and campbell about once a week. Wouldn't mind meeting some other CAG's either :)

[quote name='dubbfoolio']where would we meetup? sometimes bookmans does videogame related events. that would be cool. I'm not really a fan of D&B or gameworks but those are expensive possibilities.[/QUOTE]

There's always Howie's Game Shack in Mesa. It's a gianormous 24-hour LAN party place. I think it's still $1/hr, $9/day (24 hrs)

I'll be organizing two meetups this year at gaming centers for the AZ CAG peeps and for my AZ AZHP peeps. As soon as I get some more info and dates final, I'll be sure to post.

Also, if anyone is interested in a shitload of bomb prices on used games, I bought all the good inventory from one of the Hollywood Video/Game Crazy stores from the landlord and have had it on sale on craigslist for a while. Check out the list here:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/vgm/1544760823.html

Free God of War III E3 Demo Code for an AZ person:
IF YOU USE IT, CLAIM IT HERE SO OTHERS DON'T WASTE THEIR TIME:

AJT7-AMBD-NNGK

:)

-FrankCastleAZ

_

Hola AZ CAG! Yo vivo en Phoenix. Yo soy ilegal!

Just kidding.... Or am I? Lets hear it for Sheriff Joe Arpaio!! AmIright?!?!

ANYWAYS

[quote name='WaveRyder']There's always Howie's Game Shack in Mesa. It's a gianormous 24-hour LAN party place. I think it's still $1/hr, $9/day (24 hrs)[/QUOTE]

I had never EVER heard of Howie's Game Shack.

Also, this is my FIRST post ever on CAG, so... hello to everyone.

Also, I would like to clear up my insinuation at the beginning of this post. Just to be clear: there's a 50% chance of me being an illegal.

[quote name='qcesarjr']Hola AZ CAG! Yo vivo en Phoenix. Yo soy ilegal!

ANYWAYS

Also, I would like to clear up my insinuation at the beginning of this post. Just to be clear: there's a 50% chance of me being an illegal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Go Sheriff Joke! XD Welcome! I'm a noob, too. XD You should go check out Howie's. It's not bad, bring your own steamid/gamertag/etc.

[quote name='qcesarjr']Hola AZ CAG! Yo vivo en Phoenix. Yo soy ilegal!

ANYWAYS

Also, I would like to clear up my insinuation at the beginning of this post. Just to be clear: there's a 50% chance of me being an illegal.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love those Mersa infested tents, green bologna, and pink underwear!

Please guys, keep the politics out of our thread. :p
The last thing we need is for us to be arguing with each other over that shit.

Anyways, I will be planning the events for us CAG and AZHP peeps at both Howie's Game Shack and at Warzone Gaming, both of which are located in Tempe. They will likely both happen in February.

If you're interested in something before then, it's not much (unless you're into Anime) but I'll be with some of my Gaming Staff members from AZHP running casual gaming (and maybe an inpromptu tournament of either SFIV on PS3 or CoD:MW2 on 360) on 2-4 TVs at the Atomic Comics Mesa location for a mini-convention in support of Con-Nichiwa Anime Convention which will be held in Tucson later this year (late March).
AZHP is contracted to do the gaming at the con, which is why we're doing this mini-con thing as well.
I'll also be giving away some of the Tekken 6 Laser Cels that were preorder bonus items when the game was released.
Sorry if it seems as if i'm whoring my community, it's not intentional, but we are involved in a lot of gaming in the AZ.

Did anyone use the God of War III E3 Demo code I posted here for the AZ peeps from my last post?

-FrankCastleAZ

Jajajaj. I'm not bringing a hard core talk about politics here, its just the elephant in the room, so to speak, in Arizona. and, since I'm Mexican, I dunno, I thought it would be funny. We're all gamers here, so whatever. Definitely, lets NOT get into politics though.

I'm not much of a social gamer for some reason. But, it would be cool to hang out with anyone. I'm definitely an antisocial, strict pizza diet, never work out gamer (not offending anyone, that's just not ME), quite the opposite actually. I just work so much I can never get out!!! Anyways, not about my life story.

It'd definitely be cool to hang out and meet some of you guys (and girls?).

Also, how do you get your picture to show by your name!?!?!

[quote name='qcesarjr']Jajajaj. I'm not bringing a hard core talk about politics here, its just the elephant in the room, so to speak, in Arizona. and, since I'm Mexican, I dunno, I thought it would be funny. We're all gamers here, so whatever. Definitely, lets NOT get into politics though.

I'm not much of a social gamer for some reason. But, it would be cool to hang out with anyone. I'm definitely an antisocial, strict pizza diet, never work out gamer (not offending anyone, that's just not ME), quite the opposite actually. I just work so much I can never get out!!! Anyways, not about my life story.

It'd definitely be cool to hang out and meet some of you guys (and girls?).

Also, how do you get your picture to show by your name!?!?![/QUOTE]

Us Mexicans gotta stick together, I thought it was funny. You can change your avatar in the User CP tab just above the thread, look for Change Avatar on the left hand side. Super easy. you can change your sig too.

[quote name='WaveRyder']Sweet. Let us know when you do Howie's. I love that place.[/QUOTE]

Howie's will likely be the end of April or beginning of May.
I'm currently in talks with Warzone Gaming about doing an event there as well (which will likely be first) and it will probably be scheduled for Saturday, April 10th.
It would also be a closed to the public event because between members from CAG, AZHP and other gamers I know, we'll get close to hitting the maximum occupancy cap.

I will keep you guys updated.

In the meantime, I will be with a few members of AZHP's Gaming Crew at Atomic Comics Mesa Superstore THIS SATURDAY (1pm to 9pm or whenever) with:
Four 24inch 1080p TVs running:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on two 360's linked
and
BlazBlue/Tekken6/StreetFighterIV on two PS3's (so bring a stick if you got one)

Pretty much casual gaming, but possibly will do an impromptu tournament (depending on the turnout and interest level)
I'll also likely be giving some ish away, like Tekken 6 preorder only Laser Cels and God of War III E3 Demo Codes and possibly some 360 and/or DS games.
I'm warning some of you ahead of time, this is a promotional mini-convention for an Anime Con being held later this year, so beware of annoying kids and a lot of people in costume.

If you're from CAG, be sure to let me know!

-FrankCastleAZ

fyi for those with cox internet, theyre running a promo with a 12 month contract for preferred or abve service sony ships you a free ps3. this is only valid in arizona.

theres a thread on slickdeals. if you cant find info pm me.

[quote name='paz9x']fyi for those with cox internet, theyre running a promo with a 12 month contract for preferred or abve service sony ships you a free ps3. this is only valid in arizona.

theres a thread on slickdeals. if you cant find info pm me.[/QUOTE]

I've read the entire thread. Despite it's issues it may be worth the time.
I'll be giving it a try tomorrow morning.

-------

Also, for those CAGs that have wanted to meetup in person, I've scheduled two events at two different PC/Console LAN centers in Arizona.

FIRST EVENT

Who:

Arizona Hobbyists Paradise (AZHP) members
Phoenix Comicon (PCC) attendees
SabotenCon attendees
Cheap Ass Gamer (CAG) Arizona members
Video Gamers in Arizona Facebook group members

and anyone else who enjoys gaming and socializing

What:

AZHP PC and 360 Social Gaming Party at Warzone Gaming

$10 for 360 and PC play day pass

$12 for 360 and PC play day pass plus two slices of pizza, bag of chips and soft drink

When:

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 - 2pm to 5pm (officially) - Stay longer if you wish

Where:

Warzone Gaming
1805 E. Elliot Road Suite 102
Tempe, AZ 85284
(480) 927-9663
http://www.wzgaming.com/

Why:

To have a fun, social gaming experience with friends and to meet new people with common interests.
To support a local business providing gaming to us Arizonans.

SECOND EVENT

Who:

SabotenCon attendees

What:

AZHP PC and 360 Social Gaming Party at Howie's Game Shack

When:

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 - 2pm to 5pm (officially) - Stay longer if you wish

Where:

Howie's Game Shack
1033 North Dobson Road Suite 110
Mesa, AZ 85201
(480) 273-8826
http://www.howies.com/index.php?location=MS

Why:

To have a fun, social gaming experience with friends and to meet new people with common interests.

Who's comin?

-FrankCastleAZ

[quote name='FrankCastleAZ']I've read the entire thread. Despite it's issues it may be worth the time.
I'll be giving it a try tomorrow morning.

-------

Also, for those CAGs that have wanted to meetup in person, I've scheduled two events at two different PC/Console LAN centers in Arizona.

FIRST EVENT

Who:

SabotenCon attendees

What:

AZHP PC and 360 Social Gaming Party at Warzone Gaming

$12 for 360 and PC play day pass plus two slices of pizza, bag of chips and soft drink

When:

Saturday, April 10th, 2010 - 2pm to 5pm (officially) - Stay longer if you wish

Where:

Warzone Gaming
1805 E. Elliot Road Suite 102
Tempe, AZ 85284
(480) 927-9663
http://www.wzgaming.com/

Why:

SECOND EVENT

Who:

SabotenCon attendees

What:

AZHP PC and 360 Social Gaming Party at Howie's Game Shack

When:

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 - 2pm to 5pm (officially) - Stay longer if you wish

Where:

Howie's Game Shack
1033 North Dobson Road Suite 110
Mesa, AZ 85201
(480) 273-8826
http://www.howies.com/index.php?location=MS

Why:

Who's comin?

-FrankCastleAZ[/QUOTE]

Holy wow. I thought Warzone had gone the way of Play-N-Trade. XD

[quote name='WaveRyder']Holy wow. I thought Warzone had gone the way of Play-N-Trade. XD[/QUOTE]

Play N Trade is still kicking too!

1 in Glendale
1 in Chandler
1 in Avondale
2 in Phoenix

I love to support Play N Trade as they're individually owned franchise stores and I'd rather pay the extra occasional $5 than spend my money with Walmart (I mean GameStop) where their workers are paid shit, you get shit for credit on trade ins, they sell used games at shitty high prices which don't give shit to the developers and basically are overall shit.
Wow! Maybe I should tell you how I really feel! Instead of beating around the bush and all :p

Anyways, does this mean you're attending one or both of the events? :applause:
I know other CAGs haven't come out and said they're attending yet, but trust me when I say I know a LOT of gamers that will be in attendance.
Also, the more CAGs that say will attend will likely attract even more.

-FrankCastleAZ

[quote name='FrankCastleAZ']Play N Trade is still kicking too!

1 in Glendale
1 in Chandler
1 in Avondale
2 in Phoenix

I love to support Play N Trade as they're individually owned franchise stores and I'd rather pay the extra occasional $5 than spend my money with Walmart (I mean GameStop) where their workers are paid shit, you get shit for credit on trade ins, they sell used games at shitty high prices which don't give shit to the developers and basically are overall shit.
Wow! Maybe I should tell you how I really feel! Instead of beating around the bush and all :p

Anyways, does this mean you're attending one or both of the events? :applause:
I know other CAGs haven't come out and said they're attending yet, but trust me when I say I know a LOT of gamers that will be in attendance.
Also, the more CAGs that say will attend will likely attract even more.

-FrankCastleAZ[/QUOTE]

I know I might be able to hit the Warzone event. The Howie's one, tho, i think I'm doing a play that day. Hell, I may bring my kids. XD

[quote name='WaveRyder']I know I might be able to hit the Warzone event. The Howie's one, tho, i think I'm doing a play that day. Hell, I may bring my kids. XD[/QUOTE]

Absolutely man, come on down and meet fellow gamers and fellow CAGs.

[quote name='kburns10']If you don't mind a U of A student playing I'm down to play![/QUOTE]

LOL no prob, it'd be a bit of a drive for you but I'm sure it'd be fun. There will also be a few events in your area (Tucson) where my crew and I will be running casual and tournament gaming. See below.

===================================
Arizona Gaming Events in MARCH

Saturday, March 13th

Con-Nichiwa Anime Convention Mini-Con Promo Event

7600 North Shannon Road, Tucson, AZ 85709
Pima Community College NW Campus

Free

Casual gaming by AZHP including:

--Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360) on 4 linked systems each on 24inch 1080p LCDs
--DDR Japanese and American Versions (PS2) on Cobalt Flux pads on 27inch CRT
--Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue, Virtua Fighter 5, Marvel VS Capcom 2, Tekken 6 and every other major fighting game (PS3) on 42inch or 32inch 1080p LCD
--New Super Mario Bros Wii or Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) on 42inch or 32inch 1080p LCD
--Tatsonoko VS Capcom (Wii) on 22inch 720p LCD
--Possibly others

Friday-Sunday, March 26th-28th

Con-Nichiwa Anime Convention

Holiday Inn Palo Verde Hotel & Suites
Tucson Airport-North
4550 South Palo Verde Road
Tucson, AZ 85714

Ticket Prices pre-registration:
Full event ticket $35
Friday only ticket $20
Saturday only ticket $25
Sunday only ticket $15

Ticket Prices at the door:
$45 Full Event
$20 Friday
$25 Saturday
$15 Sunday

Tournament gaming schedule by AZHP:
FRIDAY

12n-2pm
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 5 Japanese (PS2)

2pm-4pm
Tetris Party (Wii)

4pm-6pm
Tekken 6 (PS3)

6pm-9pm
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)

9pm-11pm
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PS3)

SATURDAY

11am-1pm
Dance Dance Revolution (PS2)

1pm-3pm
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Wii)

3pm-6pm
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)

6pm-8pm
Street Fighter IV (PS3)

8pm-11pm
Rock Band: Battle of the Bands (PS3)

SUNDAY

11am-1pm
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS3)

1pm-3pm
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)

Casual gaming by AZHP including:

--Arcade 4-Player MAME machine running 200-400 games dedicated station
--Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360) on 4 linked systems each on 24inch 1080p LCDs dedicated
--DDR Japanese and American Versions (PS2) on Cobalt Flux pads on 27inch CRT dedicated
--New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii) dedicated
--Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) dedicated station besides tournament time
--Tatsonoko VS Capcom (Wii) dedicated station besides tournament time
--Fighting games everywhere! (Dreamcast, PS2, PS3) Every average to great fighting game released in America or Japan. XArcade sticks available to use or bring your own.

-FrankCastleAZ

[quote name='FrankCastleAZ']I've read the entire thread. Despite it's issues it may be worth the time.
I'll be giving it a try tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for the day they give us something nice up here in Flag. Cheetah isn't that fantastic, but much better than Qwest. I used to have the 1.5M DSL with them several years ago and the ping drove me insane when trying to play any games. Their customer support was more retarded than than AOL, too. /rant

I'm thinking of switching to the fiber optic Qwest, its nice that Cheetah isn't a contractual service.

[quote name='P a t r i c k']I'm still waiting for the day they give us something nice up here in Flag. Cheetah isn't that fantastic, but much better than Qwest. I used to have the 1.5M DSL with them several years ago and the ping drove me insane when trying to play any games. Their customer support was more retarded than than AOL, too. /rant

I'm thinking of switching to the fiber optic Qwest, its nice that Cheetah isn't a contractual service.[/QUOTE]

they delivered the ps3 a few days ago. easy as pie.

Not a huge deal, but Fry's Electronics in Tempe (and likely the Phoenix store) has 360 SFIV Special Edition Fightsticks for $50 instead of the usual $70. PS3 version is usual $60 price.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I should go to one of those meet up spots. As far as FPS games go, I can only do Halo! I'm retarded in everything else![/QUOTE]

Ouch man.
AJ?
You're in the fucking armpit of AZ.

Yeah you should come to an event or two.
I'll be posting 3 gaming related events for April either this week or early next week.

-FrankCastleAZ

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='P a t r i c k']I'm still waiting for the day they give us something nice up here in Flag. Cheetah isn't that fantastic, but much better than Qwest. I used to have the 1.5M DSL with them several years ago and the ping drove me insane when trying to play any games. Their customer support was more retarded than than AOL, too. /rant

I'm thinking of switching to the fiber optic Qwest, its nice that Cheetah isn't a contractual service.[/QUOTE]

Where in Flag do you live exactly? I can see the East Side CO from my house and they don't have fiber-optic here. 'Course the 7mbps Qwest service rocks the socks off of Cheetah for about the same price. I had spoken w/ one of the line techs about a year and a half ago who said that Qwest had no plans whatsoever to expand FTTN past Denver (where their corporate office is).

Oh, and obviously I would be another Flagstaffer checking in... :D

[quote name='uagent']Where in Flag do you live exactly? I can see the East Side CO from my house and they don't have fiber-optic here. 'Course the 7mbps Qwest service rocks the socks off of Cheetah for about the same price. I had spoken w/ one of the line techs about a year and a half ago who said that Qwest had no plans whatsoever to expand FTTN past Denver (where their corporate office is).

Oh, and obviously I would be another Flagstaffer checking in... :D[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have seen them reference fiber optics in the thick plastic(?) paper ads that they put in the Daily Sun, but I haven't actually looked into it. I think I will look into going back with Qwest for the 7mb service as NPG has just been getting worse and worse, throughout the day for the past few weeks I will rarely ever get over 1m down (supposed to be 6) which sucks especially when trying to stream Netflix. I'm just too lazy to switch providers and deep down I'm hoping that this is all just them doing work to the lines which will result in a nice unannounced bump in speed or something. I haven't bothered calling NPG to find out what exactly is going on either, usually when I go to play games or stream Netflix and the service is borked I just find something else to do. I'm on the west side - Railroad Springs.

May be moving back to Phoenix if I decide to take my old job back.

My favorite game place was GameCrazy but I know they're closed all over.
Used to hit the one by Target.
Bout to expand my game collection.

Where are the best places to hit.

[quote name='adriley313']May be moving back to Phoenix if I decide to take my old job back.

My favorite game place was GameCrazy but I know they're closed all over.
Used to hit the one by Target.
Bout to expand my game collection.

Where are the best places to hit.[/QUOTE]

Honestly? GameStop for newer stuff. Bookman's for the older stuff, and Zia for the weird-ass stuff. XD Also, Zia = overpriced for new

[quote name='WaveRyder']Honestly? GameStop for newer stuff. Bookman's for the older stuff, and Zia for the weird-ass stuff. XD Also, Zia = overpriced for new[/QUOTE]

Eh, I dunno about this list, and I work for one of those mentioned places. If you can get away with doing things with Amazon it's still a bit better than Gamestop for newer things because of the $20 credits you can get rolling. Bookmans is alright for older stuff but Play n' Trade is up and coming on that front. I would say CAG for the weird stuff.

Personally, Gamestop is best when a B2G1 is going, you have stuff to trade in, or you really want that pre-order bonus.

Soo...... how about some type of NARP for Phoenix? Eh eh?

Yes i bought some stuff at Frys when they had sell when i went grocery store.
I like Amazon but also like just looking at stuff to see what's out there.

I like Play n Trade, sometimes you can find better deal than GS. Got a like new copy of Gears 2 GOTY for $10

Will try all.
What's NARP? It that like LARPing?

Well, it's a party. You can have food and drinks and games. Whatever you want. NARP just means you get together and party! Sometimes people throw big LAN network parties, some just to play Rockband with a bunch of CAG.

oh cool
i am now in The Phx area and lovin it so far
weather great and found 3 GameStops in my normal day to day routine.

haha if only i had a ps3

is there only one toy r us in town
drove half way across town to get pokemon with the legendary kit and half off ds games

[quote name='GTmaster39']Anyone in AZ notice PSN isn't chargin sales tax anymore? Weird.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Got GOW Ghost of Sparta the other day and it was just the flat $20! Thank cripes.

anyone going to phx comic con
me and my friend are planning on going
http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/

just looked it up last night after reading about wondercon
guys from the Guild will be there
Xander and adam baldwin
sounds like a good time to be had
would be cool to meet some fellow CAGs and maybe hang out
plan on buying lost of posters and swag

it will be my first

Hi there! I just stopped by to mention Phoenixgamer.com
It's a site for the local gaming scene and includes places in phoenix for gaming, upcoming events, and a forum. See ya! :)

bread's done
Back