Attack on crowd at Denver Dark Knight Rises midnight showing

[quote name='GUNNM']The lines tomorrow at batman will be short.[/QUOTE]
My friend went this morning to a theater near Denver for IMax showing and it was sold out.

The fuck is going on in this thread?

This is beyond awful, and the guy was obviously a fucking lunatic. The whole "playing loud music at the apartment time at the same time so people investigate and they blown up" is on a whole new level of nutcase. At least that part of the plan failed, or there could have been even more lives lost. What a fucking tragedy.

[quote name='berzirk']Sorry you feel that way. Next time I'll be sure to have you screen posts before I'm about to make them.[/QUOTE]

Someone should.

I'm guessing that we'll get details soon that point more towards a failed attempt as a detonator than trying to attract people to a trap.

[quote name='Doomtime']Anderson Cooper just posted this.

A law enforcement source tells CNN’s Ed Lavandera that James Holmes purchased a ticket and walked into the Aurora, CO movie theater. Then he snuck out an exit door and left the door propped open. He geared up, gathered weapons and walked back into theater 9 through the exit door.[/QUOTE]

bad thing here is our front exit is completely blocked from sight you have no idea who is behind the screen area (where the door are)

was going to say there was no way he kicked in those doors

Does anyone else think This Chief Of Police is really on his game. I've seen a lot of police pressers after incident and I'm not sure I've ever seen one seem this much in control of a situation.

While most of us pretty much care less about what celebrities think about what happened I wanted to quote the press release from Christopher Nolan. I figure he created the movie this lunatic decide to make his "statement" at so his thoughts seem appropriate. Anyway, I really hope there will be some prison justice for that guy.

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

[quote name='SpeedyG']Does anyone else think This Chief Of Police is really on his game. I've seen a lot of police pressers after incident and I'm not sure I've ever seen one seem this much in control of a situation.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely agree.

I've lived in Aurora since 1992. The mall and the surrounding area where this occurred has become a safer, more upscale area over the years and I occasionally shop across the street at the Super Target in the Aurora Cityplace shopping center just North of the mall and theater.

The theater itself is not the closest one to me, so I've never had the chance to view a movie there.

[quote name='cancerman1120']While most of us pretty much care less about what celebrities think about what happened I wanted to quote the press release from Christopher Nolan. I figure he created the movie this lunatic decide to make his "statement" at so his thoughts seem appropriate. Anyway, I really hope there will be some prison justice for that guy.

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."[/QUOTE]

That statement seems to be the most sincerest and realistic as far as celebritys go. Thanks for posting CM.

[quote name='cancerman1120']While most of us pretty much care less about what celebrities think about what happened I wanted to quote the press release from Christopher Nolan. I figure he created the movie this lunatic decide to make his "statement" at so his thoughts seem appropriate. Anyway, I really hope there will be some prison justice for that guy.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."[/QUOTE]

This.

Hmmm. This kinda stuff seems to be happening all the time these days. Doesn't really surprise me. It seems shocking, but its funny how quickly people forget things like this.
I go to NIU and nobody even remembers the shootings anymore. Just another case of people killing people, ad infinitum.

After reading all afternoon about them pulling the Gangster Squad trailer, I was mildly surprised to still see it attached to the 5PM showing I went to (though obviously the turnaround on something like that isn't going to be instantaneous). The reaction in the theater was definitely very uncomfortable, you could tell the people who already knew about it by those that started shifting awkwardly in their seats when it came on. The gasps in the audience from those unprepared when the scene in question came on definitely validated the decision to pull it. It's a shame, because it's a movie I've been excited for.

So does anyone else think they'll feel at least a little bit paranoid the next time you're stuck with sits close to the emergency exit?

Pulling ads, pulling other trailers of movies... So stupid.

That said, and I know some gun people will debate me on this, why are the top and bottom gun easy to buy legally? There's absolutely no reason for someone to have those two guns to "protect themselves" or "bare arms". Absolutely ridiculous.

This is possibly one the worst public shootings that has ever happened in Colorado, I first heard about it at 3 in the morning on the news. So sad to hear this all happened, and all my prayers go out to all the families and people effected by it. Heck, my aunts cousins cousins husband is still "missing" from there. No one know where he is, and all he was doing was celebrating his 27th birthday.

(edit): Here is the news link to the 27 year old, he was shot and killed in the theater. http://news.yahoo.com/aurora-shooti...-birthday-205219708--abc-news-topstories.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']Pulling ads, pulling other trailers of movies... So stupid.

That said, and I know some gun people will debate me on this, why are the top and bottom gun easy to buy legally? There's absolutely no reason for someone to have those two guns to "protect themselves" or "bare arms". Absolutely ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

What is it about them that shouldn't make them legal? They're no more dangerous than your average hunting semi-auto rifle or pump shotgun. Your assertion that there's no reason for people to own them is not a determination that you have a right to make for others. I'm assuming you believe that, had these things been illegal, then this event never would have taken place, as if his willingness to murder 12 people wasn't evidence enough that he doesn't give two shits about what's legal or not legal.

Blaming guns is a knee-jerk reaction for nincompoops who are incapable of a logical thought process.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']
Blaming guns is a knee-jerk reaction for nincompoops who are incapable of a logical thought process.[/QUOTE]

I am a gun owner so take what you will from that.

I do not blame the gun but I do realize that a gun makes this type of massacre more possible. Maybe if not a gun, then a bomb. But after that, killing 12 and wounding 70+ people becomes increasingly more difficult without a firearm. To say owning a gun is a right completely discounts the fact this right was given during a time when guns were far less able to cause this type of destruction. An honest discussion about that fact needs to be had. The idea that since he has a big stick I need a bigger stick has not gotten us anywhere productive. Home protection and hunting are great places for guns but when someone buys 4 guns and over 6,000 rounds of ammo in a month we may need to reevaluate the sanity of our society.

so....

Many places have alarms on their exits... Granted this is just a normal exit, but I think maybe if alarms are going off, one wouldn't just wait through the movie.

No one could image that it would happen, but .... something to improve on for security.

He would have came back with an empty theater....everyone would have ran out. fire and police already at the door....

Do you really think the purpose of the second amendment is for hunting and self protection? Our founding fathers just got done fighting a revolution, one that wouldn't have been possible were it not for the right to bear arms. The sole purpose of that right is to protect us from tyrants. Self protection and especially hunting are secondary. The second you started saying that guns should be restricted to those secondary causes made your argument null and void because it ignores the very reason why we have the right in the first place.

Also, your assertion that a gun would cause more destruction than a bomb is ridiculous. I think he would have done much more damage with a bomb. Or maybe he'd just make Molotov cocktails. Imagine the damage he would have done if he had just started fire-bombing the theater. Or maybe he would just wait for the movie to get out, take a gigantic SUV and mow down a crowd of people (whether or not that would have killed 14 people is debatable).

Are you going to outlaw alcohol and cars next? It's completely ridiculous to believe that just because something is made illegal, then the problems associated with it will disappear. How did that work for drugs? It's really hard to get drugs considering they're illegal, right? Wrong. Just look at any state/city with restrictive gun laws, they have some of the highest crime stats in the country.

Gun laws don't work. All it does it keep people who actually give a crap about laws from protecting themselves from the ones that don't.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Do you really think the purpose of the second amendment is for hunting and self protection? Our founding fathers just got done fighting a revolution, one that wouldn't have been possible were it not for the right to bear arms. The sole purpose of that right is to protect us from tyrants. Self protection and especially hunting are secondary. The second you started saying that guns should be restricted to those secondary causes made your argument null and void because it ignores the very reason why we have the right in the first place.

Also, your assertion that a gun would cause more destruction than a bomb is ridiculous. I think he would have done much more damage with a bomb. Or maybe he'd just make Molotov cocktails. Imagine the damage he would have done if he had just started fire-bombing the theater. Or maybe he would just wait for the movie to get out, take a gigantic SUV and mow down a crowd of people (whether or not that would have killed 14 people is debatable).

Are you going to outlaw alcohol and cars next? It's completely ridiculous to believe that just because something is made illegal, then the problems associated with it will disappear. How did that work for drugs? It's really hard to get drugs considering they're illegal, right? Wrong. Just look at any state/city with restrictive gun laws, they have some of the highest crime stats in the country.

Gun laws don't work. All it does it keep people who actually give a crap about laws from protecting themselves from the ones that don't.[/QUOTE]

First off. I did not assert a gun does more damage. I asserted a bomb could do the same type of damage. I said after that it would more difficult. A Molotov cocktail would be in the same arena as a bomb. Also, you claim a car could be used. Sure it could but again in this case it could not. This was a confined space not subject to a car being driven through it.

Second. You automatically jumped ALL OVER ban ban ban. I never said that. I never said anything about changing the law. I said a discussion about how powerful our weapons have become needs to be had but of course you hear nothing but I want to take away your guns....even though I OWN a gun.

Third. You want to to say my restrictions on guns (they were not restrictions, they were my opinion on proper usage) null the argument because I ignore the original intent of the 2nd Amendment. Well then if you want to go there then it makes your argument even more ridiculous. If the idea was to form a militia or as some would argue to protect ourselves from ourselves (ie own government) then why not allow RPGs? OR tanks? This only proves my point that the original writing of the Amendment was during a time when guns WERE the bomb, grenade, tank, etc etc. To say an armed society is somehow safe from its government is laughable in today's age. We see what a government can do with just a small military in other countries. Imagine what the greatest army on earth could do. You kid yourself into thinking having a gun makes you safer against that.

I know I'm not on topic, but I just wanted to share my experience real quick. I just came back from going to watch the Dark Knight Rises, first thing I noticed was an obvious increase in security and basically every exit was covered. And the pre movie chatter was all about the shootings and it became an entire theater conversation which was kind of cool how everyone would listen to one person and then someone would respond. The movie was actually delayed because the conversation continued and the manager was okay with it since we were the last showing. Anyway during the movie, you could see the people glancing at the doors whenever a gun went off during the movie. All in all I enjoyed the movie, (it was fantastic!) and just wanted to share the experience

[quote name='hereon']I know I'm not on topic, but I just wanted to share my experience real quick. I just came back from going to watch the Dark Knight Rises, first thing I noticed was an obvious increase in security and basically every exit was covered. And the pre movie chatter was all about the shootings and it became an entire theater conversation which was kind of cool how everyone would listen to one person and then someone would respond. The movie was actually delayed because the conversation continued and the manager was okay with it since we were the last showing. Anyway during the movie, you could see the people glancing at the doors whenever a gun went off during the movie. All in all I enjoyed the movie, (it was fantastic!) and just wanted to share the experience[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am not planning on going till a Monday afternoon show but I could imagine things will be a bit tense in full theaters. I anticipate not many for the 11:00 am show on a Monday but you never know. I guess it did about $30.6 million last night which meant there were A LOT of sold out shows last night.

[quote name='antlp89']That is extremely disturbing.

Damn... wtf...[/QUOTE]
What I find even more disturbing is that these parents brought kids out to the Batman movie premiere at MIDNIGHT.:roll: Get a babysitter and then go see the movie yourselves.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What I find even more disturbing is that these parents brought kids out to the Batman movie premiere at MIDNIGHT.:roll: Get a babysitter and then go see the movie yourselves.[/QUOTE]

Ignorant parenting? Maybe. Disturbing? Hardly. Those fucktards whose baby died because they left it home alone while camping out for the Phantom Menace premiere was disturbing.

[quote name='DestroVega']Pulling ads, pulling other trailers of movies... So stupid.
[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the trailer for Gangster Squad? It literally has a scene of people being gunned down in a theater. Normally I might agree that pulling trailers is way oversensitive, but in this case its absolutely the right call. At least for the first few days.

I watched the latter part of the Piers Morgan interview with the couple that had the baby. At any point did Piers Morgan ask them why the fuck they took a baby to a midnight showing?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Ignorant parenting? Maybe. Disturbing? Hardly. Those fucktards whose baby died because they left it home alone while camping out for the Phantom Menace premiere was disturbing.[/QUOTE]
Lost a baby and had to watch phantom menace in the same day. Damn.

[quote name='confoosious']I watched the latter part of the Piers Morgan interview with the couple that had the baby. At any point did Piers Morgan ask them why the fuck they took a baby to a midnight showing?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it was the very first question he asked.

[quote name='bvharris']Have you seen the trailer for Gangster Squad? It literally has a scene of people being gunned down in a theater. Normally I might agree that pulling trailers is way oversensitive, but in this case its absolutely the right call. At least for the first few days.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone think the movie is going to be pushed back a few months or even have the scene removed?

This tends to happen a lot........remember Collateral Damage?

[quote name='hereon']I know I'm not on topic, but I just wanted to share my experience real quick. I just came back from going to watch the Dark Knight Rises, first thing I noticed was an obvious increase in security and basically every exit was covered. And the pre movie chatter was all about the shootings and it became an entire theater conversation which was kind of cool how everyone would listen to one person and then someone would respond. The movie was actually delayed because the conversation continued and the manager was okay with it since we were the last showing. Anyway during the movie, you could see the people glancing at the doors whenever a gun went off during the movie. All in all I enjoyed the movie, (it was fantastic!) and just wanted to share the experience[/QUOTE]

At my midnight showing...there was only 1 rent a cop watching for people with cameras...any mob could have taken him down easily. People are too paranoid to be keeping an eye on the doors........anyone could just walk in to the screen from behind and start firing...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What I find even more disturbing is that these parents brought kids out to the Batman movie premiere at MIDNIGHT.:roll: Get a babysitter and then go see the movie yourselves.[/QUOTE]

That's easier said than done. Hiring a babysitter can be really expensive. My fiancee does some baby sitting on the side and can make a easy 100 bucks for a few hours... Unless you are mega rich, then it's hard to "get away". I have already told her that once we start a family, it may be years before we get a chance to see a movie together. Family is first, movies second........wait did I just say that?

I think we should seriously get off the baby thing...is it annoying? Yes but its FAR from the worst/dumbest things that people do on a daily basis. You guys are fucking reaching hard for this.

Bottom line is taking your baby to a movie should never result in its life being in danger.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I think we should seriously get off the baby thing...is it annoying? Yes but its FAR from the worst/dumbest things that people do on a daily basis. You guys are fucking reaching hard for this.

Bottom line is taking your baby to a movie should never result in its life being in danger.[/QUOTE]

No, but it does show that you're irresponsible as fuck, and that irresponsibility is likely to put your child in danger in the future.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I think we should seriously get off the baby thing...is it annoying? Yes but its FAR from the worst/dumbest things that people do on a daily basis. You guys are fucking reaching hard for this.

Bottom line is taking your baby to a movie should never result in its life being in danger.[/QUOTE]

It's part of the story. So what?

Nobody is "reaching" for anything.

A patron wearing a batman costume should have tackled and disarmed the gunman. I think "batman saves moviegoers lives" would have been a better headline

I really blame the theaters for allowing kids under a certain age to enter the theaters period. Kids should not be allowed to enter anything PG-13/R PERIOD. I don't care if they get the tickets cheap or get in free........this is NOT a family movie...I didn't see anyone bring their kids to Machete...... Nolan's Batman series is too deep for kids to understand.

Anyways it's too bad no staff member from that theater has come forward and told their side of the story of what went down when they heard the shots. With the theater run by teenagers and college kids..someone is gonna talk.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I really blame the theaters for allowing kids under a certain age to enter the theaters period. Kids should not be allowed to enter anything PG-13/R PERIOD. I don't care if they get the tickets cheap or get in free........this is NOT a family movie...I didn't see anyone bring their kids to Machete...... Nolan's Batman series is too deep for kids to understand.

Anyways it's too bad no staff member from that theater has come forward and told their side of the story of what went down when they heard the shots. With the theater run by teenagers and college kids..someone is gonna talk.[/QUOTE]

If they went in with parents its totally legitimate. The most you can do is warn the parents regarding the content

It's more than annoying, it's totally irresponsible. What people don't get is if you decide to have a baby, you don't get to do whatever you want anymore. It's part of becoming a parent. I was recently at Disney World and I can't tell you how many screaming crying babies I saw there. These babies were sweaty and red-faced, no doubt in danger of having a heat stroke or becoming dehydrated, as it was around 100 degrees the whole time I was there. These parents weren't dragging their babies around for the babies' benefit, they don't know what the heck is going on. They just wanted to go themselves so these babies get put in danger.

Now, you're right in that taking a baby shouldn't be as dangerous, but when you become a parent you own wants and needs come second. Find a babysitter, or wait for the movie to come out on DVD. It sucks, but it's the way it has to be. You shouldn't be allowed to have small children in theaters, especially for a movie that is nearly 3 hours long. And doubly so for a midnight showing.

[quote name='Rumors']If they went in with parents its totally legitimate. The most you can do is warn the parents regarding the content[/QUOTE]

I still believe that theaters can impose "the right to refuse anyone" rule.

[quote name='Mixer236']

Now, you're right in that taking a baby shouldn't be as dangerous, but when you become a parent you own wants and needs come second. Find a babysitter, or wait for the movie to come out on DVD. It sucks, but it's the way it has to be. You shouldn't be allowed to have small children in theaters, especially for a movie that is nearly 3 hours long. And doubly so for a midnight showing.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...it would be impossible for me to enjoy the movie if I had to get up and change a diaper or if the movie was too loud or something scared the baby to the point where I had to get up and leave. Other than the next Iron Man or Transformers...there isn't a series that I can to see later or on home media (BR) if I have a family. I am sure my nearest family members would love to take care of the baby, but it's too much for our older parents.

[quote name='Rumors']A patron wearing a batman costume should have tackled and disarmed the gunman. I think "batman saves moviegoers lives" would have been a better headline[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt the fat guy wearing the classic batman adam west suit is gonna stand up to the gunman...nor will the gunman hesitate to shoot all the "batmen" in the theater since he claimed he was "the joker". And even if the batmen were killed first, I doubt the theater goers would say "you killed batman! Get him!!!"

[quote name='confoosious']And there's The matter of having some courtesy for other movie goers.[/QUOTE]

True... at least in church there is a spot where you go with your kids and it won't bother the others.

As a matter of fact I have started noticing an increase in "sensitive" theater screens that cater to parents with small kids/babies...lower volumes, lights lowered but dim and so on.

[quote name='techedgamer89']This is possibly one the worst public shootings that has ever happened in Colorado, I first heard about it at 3 in the morning on the news. So sad to hear this all happened, and all my prayers go out to all the families and people effected by it. Heck, my aunts cousins cousins husband is still "missing" from there. No one know where he is, and all he was doing was celebrating his 27th birthday.

(edit): Here is the news link to the 27 year old, he was shot and killed in the theater. http://news.yahoo.com/aurora-shooti...-birthday-205219708--abc-news-topstories.html[/QUOTE]

Man, so sorry to hear that, I just finished reading that article. I actually lived in that area for a year, we used to go to that movie theater all the time. It's sad that you have to worry about this type of stuff nowadays.

Thanks Soulvengeance, and yes it sad that you can't go anywhere now without worrying about this stuff happening nowadays. This is one thing that everyone there and in Colorado will never forget for there whole lives too. The kids that went to that screening will never forget that day also, and it probably ruined the whole Batman thing for a lot of people.

[quote name='confoosious']And there's The matter of having some courtesy for other movie goers.[/QUOTE]

Yep. A friend of mine has a 7 month old son, and told me he was planning on taking him when he and his wife went to see Brave. I then told him that if he was in the same theater as me, I would dump a slushie on his head.

I get that family movies are going to have younger children in the audience, but never should a baby be present. Two years and above sounds about right for me(depending on the child and the movie).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mixer236']Yep. A fried of mine has a 7 month old son, and told me he was planning on taking him when he and his wife went to see Brave. I then told him that if he was in the same theater as me, I would dump a slushie on his head.

I get that family movies are going to have younger children in the audience, but never should a baby be present. Two years and above sounds about right for me(depending on the child and the movie).[/QUOTE]

exactly... how many of you out there remember every freaking movie you saw as a child when you taken to the theaters? The earliest one I remembered was either Goonies or Karate kid part 2. Sure it's cheaper than a baby sitter...but can any of you CAG parents truly recall a time when you took your baby to see a movie and did not have to get up during the movie to change a diaper or stop the crying?

bread's done
Back