BATMAN Arkham Asylum 2 - TBA price-TBA CE/LE TBA have a video Ships 1/3/2011

I am on the fence with this game it reminds me a lot of the batman from Sega except you are able to use more gadgets. Probably a rent for me.

I don't expect this game to get less than a 9 / 10 out of any major advertiser supported review site - the hype-o-meter for this one is approaching epic proportions, so no matter what, it's going to shine. I'm counting on everyone here for honest unbiased feedback... as for my own opinion, based on the demo, it's probably $48 good (Amazon pre-order + coupon price), but definitely not $60. It definitely looks about as linear as a GoW or Halo game, would rather see some non-linear maps ala Bioshock, but the game really does shine with the combat and grappling hook action - really captures the spirit of the recent Batman movies well.

and OMG, is that all pre-rendered FMV during the cut scenes, or just the Unreal engine cranked up to an insane detail level? If that's what games will look like on the next-gen consoles... (I always use FMV to judge how good they'll look on the next round of hardware). Detail level in-game is pretty dang impressive on its own too.

it was bothering me that Batman was using his "Bruce" voice most of the time... And the hookshot gargoyles were pretty bad.

Other than that I enjoyed it.

I will check out the demo of this and if I do get the game it will be the second game for the PS3 I do get and that is only because of the Joker maps that are only on the PS3. I don't really want some of the stuff that comes with the LE but the extra game content would be nice however 100 bucks is not worth spending on this.

I was left unsatisfied with the demo, but it's a demo. Just like Valkyria Chronicles, what we saw in the demo is but a micro-scratch for what the true game holds beneath. I'd understand people's hesitations if it were a straight-up FPS like Halo but this is a brawler + stealth + detective work with a supposedly robust upgrade/experience system.

All this demo verified is that it looks great on my 46" HD TV.

[quote name='nbballard']it was bothering me that Batman was using his "Bruce" voice most of the time... And the hookshot gargoyles were pretty bad.

Other than that I enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

I thought the demo was pretty fun, but way too short. What a tease!!! :(

Also I noticed Conroy was doing his softer "Bruce" voice only when giving the player instructions on how to do stuff. I thought it was a great subtle difference in how he did that actually.

Agreed on the hookshot gargoyles though, hopefully the later parts of the game won't be so straightforward in how to approach taking down armed guards.

I enjoyed the demo. I played a bit at E3, but it was much more enjoyable in my own room and on my own set. It really gives a cinematic feel which I love and it makes me hope that little to no loading is a common trend for the rest of this generation.

Definitely a good game to rent.

[quote name='xsouthparkx']
Does anyone know how long of a game this will be?[/QUOTE]
This link says 10 to 15, but another developer said 25.

I got a Gears of War flashback every time Batman would stop to walk slow and place he finger on his ear to talk on his head set. The character models that aren't villains look kind of awkward and stiff but the demo was fun. I'll pick it up eventually, especially because of the use the 90's voice actors.

[quote name='Dasflikko']Agreed on the hookshot gargoyles though, hopefully the later parts of the game won't be so straightforward in how to approach taking down armed guards.[/QUOTE]
OK, so I played the demo again and found that you can actually hookshot (or batline) onto the edges of railings and rooms. In the stealth part where you take out the guards, if you drop down and hold R1, it'll turn white on the parts you can hookshot to (much like Tenchu 2). Also, I was able to get on top of the building and hit triangle when a guard was under me to take him out. This helps increase my satisfaction of the demo.

I'll probably pick it up for $60 mainly because I want it to sell well enough to warrant a sequal set in the entire city of Gotham. I expect 8/10 or 8.5/10 reviews based on what I've played, hopefully I'm right.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I'll probably pick it up for $60 mainly because I want it to sell well enough to warrant a sequal set in the entire city of Gotham. I expect 8/10 or 8.5/10 reviews based on what I've played, hopefully I'm right.[/QUOTE]

no need. Check the deals forum- you should be able to get it off amazon for about 42.

I agree with what you guys have said about the demo being too short. It did a good job sucking you in and leaving you wanting for more. First thing I noticed when playing the demo was Batman's voice, I knew it was familiar but I didn't realize it was the same voice as the Batman's cartoons, that was a definite plus for me. Not just Batman too but the other characters as well.

All in all, August 25th can't come fast enough.

I played the demo on the 360 and I'm now downloading it for the PS3. I really liked it on the 360 only if I buy the game I will end up getting it on the PS3 just for the Joker maps. Only thing that bugs me is what I have said all along, in order to get everything in game I have to get it on PS3, preorder it and get the LE. I don't want to spend over 100 bucks for a game just to get all the content. I might just hold out say the hell with it and buy it on the PS3 when it lowers in price.

Like everyone else here, I thought the demo was too short. But not too short like, "dang, I need more". Too short like, "I didn't get a chance to figure out if I would like this." When you're making a demo for an action or FPS game, it should really be long enough for players to get comfortable with the controls. I was just getting used to which button did what when it ended.

Might get it anyway, with the low Amazon price + $5 off coupon + ECA coupon. At a little over $40 for a brand new game, I can probably sell it at very little loss if I don't like it, consider it a rental.

I was hesistant to pick this up, but then I tried the 360 demo. I enjoyed the heck out of it, and hope its just a teas of whats to come, I then preordered it from Amazon for $42/Shipped FREE Release day delivery & Free exclusive Arkham Asylum comic

[quote name='sendme']I played the demo on the 360 and I'm now downloading it for the PS3. I really liked it on the 360 only if I buy the game I will end up getting it on the PS3 just for the Joker maps. Only thing that bugs me is what I have said all along, in order to get everything in game I have to get it on PS3, preorder it and get the LE. I don't want to spend over 100 bucks for a game just to get all the content. I might just hold out say the hell with it and buy it on the PS3 when it lowers in price.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall there being any additional in-game content that is exclusive to the CE, with the primary bonus being an actual batarang. Your understandings of feeling "jipped" is natural, but you'd be getting even less value if you bought this on the 360. Perhaps the Joker Maps are timed exclusives, but it's highly likely that you'll have to pay for them once they're made available.

And you can buy this for $47.99 at Amazon.com after a $5 coupon. You won't see the game going this low for quite some time, especially with the holiday season coming up and Batman being the hot franchise it is.

i think the joker stuff will be dlc for the 360 later on. gotta wonder if this is a new thing to be seen where they give ps3 gamers extra content free and then release it for the 360 as dlc. they do have a bigger user base so it could work to their advantage to do it this way. also id have prefered a game that looked like the cartoon. hell i still wish theyed make a batman game based on that series that was on fox kids.

Loved the BTAS voices in the demo. Bale's Batman voice was the one thing I really disliked about The Dark Knight so this was a welcome change. As for buy vs rent, the demo didn't really help me decide like I thought it would.

I wasn't too hype up about this game, but after playing the demo and how it's come along, I might pick it up. Not sure since I just spent like a thousand dollars on school this month now and there are lots of other games coming out this fall that I want more. But Batman does look good and hope it does well.

I just finished trying the demo too. Glad it seems to run great on PS3.

I don't understand why anyone would buy the C.E. if the game doesn't even come in a case.

WOW the game doesn't even come with a case in the CE? Any way the Joker maps are they another part of the story or are they the challenge maps?

What voices from the animated series are confirmed to be in the game outside of Conroy/Hamill? Harley Quinn sounded like her 90's counterpart but I'm not 100% for sure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1282022/

Looks like it is

Kevin Conroy
Mark Hamill
Michael Ansara
Richard Moll
Arleen Sorkin
Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
Bob Hastings
Paul Williams
Diane Pershing
Ron Perlman
David Warner
Walter Olkewicz
Henry Polic II

Never knew the names of the voices of the animated series other than Hamill but them are the names that came up for the game and for the show back in 92.

Whoa, I knew Mark Hamill was Joker back then, but I didn't know Ron Perlman was on the show. Who does/did he play?

Perlman was/is Clayface.

Also for you Star Trek fans, Kate Mulgrew was the Red Claw. Maybe she will make a super secret appearance in this game!!!! .......

Wow I just noticed that IMDB has Bob Hastings listed for Commissioner Gordon, but there is no way that Gordon is played by him in the game (wish he did though...) I wonder what other actors are incorrectly listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised by the demo, seems like the game involves much more depth than basic brawler. Enjoyed picking off bad guys by being sneaky. I do love in games how every air duct is big enough for a grown man to crawl through.

the demo is very fun and i am quite excited.
i dont get games on day one anymore though, this is cheapassgamer :)
i will wait till its about $30, shouldnt be that far away.
if i get a few amazon gift cards ill grab it for preorder there but thats a big if.

I got the Collectors Edition for Free. Something tells me that Giant Bat arang will be very collectible.

Heck look at this,

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO®-Batman-...EE8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249864957&sr=8-1

its a simple LEGO set for $300, point is the Batman collectors demographic are rabid and will pay what ever.

I traded in $50 worth of junk games to Amazon and got 50% off the game of my choice, voila Batman CE $100 for Free.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham...TST0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1249865071&sr=8-3

This is Truly Collectible, and WILL go Up in value

Unlike the Modern Warfare 2 or Halo 3 $150 Editions which include a worthless helmet or pair of $30 kids toy goggles.

[quote name='Master Ninja']I got the Collectors Edition for Free. Something tells me that Giant Bat arang will be very collectible.

Heck look at this,

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO%C2%AE-Batman-Tumbler-Jokers-Surprise/dp/B000WOEE8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249864957&sr=8-1

its a simple LEGO set for $300, point is the Batman collectors demographic are rabid and will pay what ever.

I traded in $50 worth of junk games to Amazon and got 50% off the game of my choice, voila Batman CE $100 for Free.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham...TST0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1249865071&sr=8-3

This is Truly Collectible, and WILL go Up in value

Unlike the Modern Warfare 2 or Halo 3 $150 Editions which include a worthless helmet or pair of $30 kids toy goggles.[/QUOTE]

i dont think theres 1 ce of any game thats actually worth that much money and i dont think the se f this btman game is going to be an exception to the rule. in about 6 months they will be selling for 20 to 30 bucks. happened to the gta4 se , halo 3 se's , saints row 2 se ect ect ect. for 100 bucks you could make your own batarangs and get a costume and run around fighting crime yourself.

btw that amazon deal you mentioned is it still going on?

[quote name='lokizz']i dont think theres 1 ce of any game thats actually worth that much money and i dont think the se f this btman game is going to be an exception to the rule. in about 6 months they will be selling for 20 to 30 bucks. happened to the gta4 se , halo 3 se's , saints row 2 se ect ect ect. for 100 bucks you could make your own batarangs and get a costume and run around fighting crime yourself.

btw that amazon deal you mentioned is it still going on?[/QUOTE]

yeah so how do you explain a simple $40 LEGO set selling for $300

the collectors highly value Batman stuff.

Also, I suggest getting the PS3 version because of the Exclusive Play as the Joker Mode.

Mainly because Batman has Tons of Gadgets, bomb, ropes, spray guns, proximity mines, Night vision goggles etc. Even a special high power suit,

The Joker is his exact match, gadget for gadget, instead of Nigh vision goggles Joker has funny looking glasses which do almost the same thing, Instead of a Proximity mine Joker has a walking teddy bear which blows up etc etc.

About the Only thing Missing from this game is Catwoman, and some cool vehicles.

[quote name='Master Ninja']yeah so how do you explain a simple $40 LEGO set selling for $300

the collectors highly value Batman stuff.

Also, I suggest getting the PS3 version because of the Exclusive Play as the Joker Mode.

Mainly because Batman has Tons of Gadgets, bomb, ropes, spray guns, proximity mines, Night vision goggles etc. Even a special high power suit,

The Joker is his exact match, gadget for gadget, instead of Nigh vision goggles Joker has funny looking glasses which do almost the same thing, Instead of a Proximity mine Joker has a walking teddy bear which blows up etc etc.

About the Only thing Missing from this game is Catwoman, and some cool vehicles.[/QUOTE]

legos have a diff collectibility to them there are alot of lego sets that probably go for high amounts but ce of games rarely do. yeah its going to be collected by some because its a batman item but that alone wont help it. now if theres only so many made then maybe but i really think that ce will go the way of many ce. chances are they didnt make alot of those lego sets and unlike videogames lego sets , to my knowledge, dont get rereleased. then again i could be wrong my statement comes from whats been seen of ce of games. if anyone out there has any info about the value of ce of games id be interested in seeing it.

[quote name='lokizz']legos have a diff collectibility to them there are alot of lego sets that probably go for high amounts but ce of games rarely do. yeah its going to be collected by some because its a batman item but that alone wont help it. now if theres only so many made then maybe but i really think that ce will go the way of many ce. chances are they didnt make alot of those lego sets and unlike videogames lego sets , to my knowledge, dont get rereleased. then again i could be wrong my statement comes from whats been seen of ce of games. if anyone out there has any info about the value of ce of games id be interested in seeing it.[/QUOTE]

that's not true look at the metal gear solid 3 sub CE

[quote name='starmask2k3']that's not true look at the metal gear solid 3 sub CE[/QUOTE]

damn youre right that one does have a good deal of value but what about for this gen of consoles?

[quote name='lokizz']damn youre right that one does have a good deal of value but what about for this gen of consoles?[/QUOTE]

The key to a limited/collector's edition game being worth a sack of beans several months after release is the operative word in the title: limited/collector's. Only example I can recall so far of such a title going up in value is BlazBlue.

The best example of this situation is World of Warcraft. Original release only had couple tens of thousands of copies that sold out even its pre-orders and quickly flew off the shelves. I ended up selling a few CE copies for $300+ a year and a half after it's release. The Burning Crusades CE was certainly not limited in print, and I actually saw one for full retail price at my local Walmart ~1 month ago.

If Rocksteady has not said, "The CE will be limited to X copies" then it's not really limited, in my opinion. They'll likely probably produce 1 CE for every 4-5 regular editions -- more than enough to meet the demand likely well after the fact. Why? Because it only costs them ~$10 at most to make all the goodies but they make $40 more than the regular edition. They'll have made a killing even when the CE goes on discount several months later because of high initial hardcore fan interest.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I know the collector's version is all the rage, but the PC version can be modified. People are already doing custom batsuits.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the PC version also ships 3 weeks later and has no Joker challenges. They might be able to create a Joker skin but most likely not his unique moves and gadgets.

Give them time to mod it and we could be looking at something pretty sweet. Even better if it was supported by the devs. I could see people creating their own custom challenge rooms and uploading them for people to play.

[quote name='limelight022']This game is blah, along with the swirly camera. Looks like a toilet flushing.[/QUOTE]

Best, most in depth review yet. Thanks, you just saved me $65!

I like the game a lot, to be honest. One of the better hero genre'd video games available. The combat is pretty cool and I like the fear factor.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I give this thread 9/10[/QUOTE]

thankz alot that means alot

please rate the thread

bread's done
Back