Battlefield Bad Company 2; Vietnam (1200 points) out; plus 4 new free maps

[quote name='slickkill77']They fixed the boat glitch[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I'm gonna jump on tonight after work. I've been wanting to play for a few days now but got into some Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 and got sidetracked.

[quote name='Trakan']http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1143319p1.html

BF3 reveal on March 1st.[/QUOTE]

Great news :D Thanks.

[quote name='Puffa469']Don't we need to buy that crappy MoH game to get into the Beta?[/QUOTE]

I thought the campaign was excellent (but short), maybe because I was following the interviews of the Tier 1 operators, I was hyped up about the game.

But I did think the MoH mp was awful. After giving it more time, it becomes a little fun. It has a big learning curve and you won't like it at first. But to each his own.

[quote name='slickkill77']They fixed the boat glitch[/QUOTE]

Even more excellent news :D

I checked out the blog today and saw "Post your best videos!". :lol: the "Arica" parody is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULbZUoPN5BU&feature=player_embedded

[quote name='htown01']I thought the campaign was excellent (but short), maybe because I was following the interviews of the Tier 1 operators, I was hyped up about the game.

But I did think the MoH mp was awful. After giving it more time, it becomes a little fun. It has a big learning curve and you won't like it at first. But to each his own.[/QUOTE]

I only ever played the multiplayer beta/demo and did not like it one bit. And I play both CoD and BF games, so it's not like I love one style and hate the other, I enjoy both types of gameplay.

Ill be on alittle this weekend, Ive got to work the next couple days/nights but Sat and Sun I should be on for a bit. Either before or after the playoff games that are on.

I got my first kill with a Tuk Tuk last night on Op Hastings!

I was only able to build up enough speed to kill because I was going downhill. I bet the guy I killed was raging after, lol.

Conquest on Op Hastings is an Engy's paradise. 3 tanks per side + hueys. I got two vehicle pins in one game, thats at least 8 vehicle kills, and too many repair pins to count. I would up with almost 4 thousand points by the end of the game.

[quote name='htown01']Great news :D Thanks.

I thought the campaign was excellent (but short), maybe because I was following the interviews of the Tier 1 operators, I was hyped up about the game.

But I did think the MoH mp was awful. After giving it more time, it becomes a little fun. It has a big learning curve and you won't like it at first. But to each his own.

Even more excellent news :D

I checked out the blog today and saw "Post your best videos!". :lol: the "Arica" parody is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULbZUoPN5BU&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing the video, it made me laugh.

I've been out of this for a bit while I was walking through MoH for some easy achievement points but I'm back on it now. I had never even known about the boat glitch until I saw some fuckers doing it two days ago in my first game of 'Nam in a while. Made me want to quit playing it again until it was fixed...glad to see they made it a priority.

Hardcore - Off. The main reason I do it off is I can't stand campers one shotting me via a leg shot. With it off normally they body shot me, then I just headshot them back.

[quote name='lordopus99']Hardcore - Off. The main reason I do it off is I can't stand campers one shotting me via a leg shot. With it off normally they body shot me, then I just headshot them back.[/QUOTE]

I learned to aim center mass in RL so the first thng I do is aim for the center of the body. Im just so used to doing it now.

I recently picked up the Ultimate Edition and came back to this game for the first time since Red Dead came out last year. The combination of the new maps and the satisfaction of actually being able to tell where people are and shoot them has been sublime. I even kept playing last night after all my friends got off instead of switching over to Bulletstorm or Killzone.

Aaaabsolutely, Jab.

I need to grab some MS points and pick up Vietnam soon, I miss playing BC2. Does BC2 allow you to download the VIP map packs if your account is a Child Account? Long story short, a buddy of mine messed up his account so it's stuck as a Child Account until August, but he's on the fence about picking the game up in fear that he won't be able to download the maps.

I played Rush on White Pass last night for the first time since before Vietnam came out. I noticed that they changed the locations for 2 of the M-coms, so they are no longer all inside collapsible buildings on the 2nd and 3rd stages, and the defenders actually have a good chance to win. Anyone know how long ago they made that change?

Finally learned how to fly the Huey in Vietnam (and the chopper in general, although I still am pretty terrible) and managed to get the 50 kills this weekend to wrap up the Vietnam achievements.

I've still got to wrap up the stabbing 5 friends in the back achievement if anyone wants to boost it, send me a FR or message.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Finally learned how to fly the Huey in Vietnam (and the chopper in general, although I still am pretty terrible) and managed to get the 50 kills this weekend to wrap up the Vietnam achievements.

I've still got to wrap up the stabbing 5 friends in the back achievement if anyone wants to boost it, send me a FR or message.[/QUOTE]

I need that cheesemint as well. I might be on in an hour or so if you're still around.

In the vanilla version, You can play online without a code, but it limits you to playing certain maps (taking a random, no where near accurate guess, I'd say half the maps). Once an excluded map shows up, it kicks you out of the server and you have to find a new one. IIRC, there's no limits to rank, unlocks.

I don't know how the Vietnam Expansion works regarding the code.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Does this game require you to purchase an online code (like Homefront, NFS, etc) if you buy it used? Thx.[/QUOTE]

Cheapest I can find BC2 (both the Ultimate Edition and original) used is $21 on AWD, $24 elsewhere. VIP codes cost 800 MSP, running you at least $31 to get the full experience, which I assume you'll want as this game is more about the multiplayer experience.

Right now you can snag a new copy of the UE on Amazon for $36.86: http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-B...GBC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300749328&sr=8-1

Cheapest I've seen the UE new is $29.99 on Amazon and at some B&M stores, but $37 isn't bad either.

The UE includes a VIP code, Onslaught co-op mode, AND a code for BF 1943, the XBLA HD remake of BF 1942, which is worth either 800 or 1200 MSP, can't remember exactly. I highly recommend you go this route!

I ended up getting It off eBay for $25. Seller says the VIP code is included but will have to wait and see. I was checking amazon today and saw it for $36 but since I already have BF 1942 and would not even play onslaught mode, I was trying to get it cheaper ($36 for all of it is a great price).

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']I ended up getting It off eBay for $25. Seller says the VIP code is included but will have to wait and see. I was checking amazon today and saw it for $36 but since I already have BF 1942 and would not even play onslaught mode, I was trying to get it cheaper ($36 for all of it is a great price).[/QUOTE]

Cheers man, hope the VIP code is indeed good. Consider getting the Vietnam DLC with the money you saved :)

Wow, great thread for Battlefield nuts. I usually just look in the deals section so I completely missed this. I really just discovered the Battlefield franchise the last couple of years and now it's the only multiplayer shooter that can hold my interest. The large maps, vehicles, and the ability to play completely different ways in different classes just gives it such a strategic advantage over other shooters.

Anyway, I'd be happy to join some BC2 games with some other friendly CAGers. I also need and can help get the friend knife achievement if you'd like. You can add me and maybe just drop a message that you're from CAG. I'm Jaskull on XBL.

After reaching rank 22 I've actually been really enjoying Bad Company 1 again as a change of pace. I had forgotten how many good maps it had. It's a blast once you get get used to the controls again and don't mind the fraction of the unlocks of BC2. I'll be playing that over the next few weeks as well if you want to join me. If you don't have BC1 I'd highly recommend it, which you can get for less than $10 used now. Plus, VIP codes didn't exist back then so you'll get all the content out of the box. It's a great change of pace if you're overloaded on BC2 and Vietnam.

I also enjoy going back to 1943 once in a while and I'm also playing Vietnam lately so add me if you'd like to play any of those. I also have 1943 on PS3 that I play once in a while. I'm stillshadow on PSN.

People still play BC 1 online?

[quote name='gubmccargen']Wow, great thread for Battlefield nuts. I usually just look in the deals section so I completely missed this. I really just discovered the Battlefield franchise the last couple of years and now it's the only multiplayer shooter that can hold my interest. The large maps, vehicles, and the ability to play completely different ways in different classes just gives it such a strategic advantage over other shooters.

Anyway, I'd be happy to join some BC2 games with some other friendly CAGers. I also need and can help get the friend knife achievement if you'd like. You can add me and maybe just drop a message that you're from CAG. I'm Jaskull on XBL.

After reaching rank 22 I've actually been really enjoying Bad Company 1 again as a change of pace. I had forgotten how many good maps it had. It's a blast once you get get used to the controls again and don't mind the fraction of the unlocks of BC2. I'll be playing that over the next few weeks as well if you want to join me. If you don't have BC1 I'd highly recommend it, which you can get for less than $10 used now. Plus, VIP codes didn't exist back then so you'll get all the content out of the box. It's a great change of pace if you're overloaded on BC2 and Vietnam.

I also enjoy going back to 1943 once in a while and I'm also playing Vietnam lately so add me if you'd like to play any of those. I also have 1943 on PS3 that I play once in a while. I'm stillshadow on PSN.[/QUOTE]

I just started playing this last night, single player. Probably not going to play multiplayer as I get tired of dying repeatedly. :) It was fun until I got to a mission in which you're suppose to defend against a counter attack (in the set of missions after the "delayed retirement" one) where I had little ammo and had a shotgun as my secondary weapon. I guess I'm a total newb (Ok, yes, I am) because I didn't realize that picking up weapons could be bad - you lose whatever you're holding. So then I was stuck at this checkpoint, trying over and over and it got pretty frustrating. I take it I have to start the entire mission over? Frustrating. It was fun up to that point, but god do I suck at aiming with an analog stick. That's part of why I'll probably never play online.

[quote name='TiKi2']People still play BC 1 online?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how quickly you can find games after 3 years of it being out. I just did Gold Rush and there were plenty of games. I didn't even realize there was a free Conquest update and 4 free maps as free DLC. I'll be trying that out soon and hopefully there are just as many games going as I prefer Conquest.

I've been saying I'd never play this online... so why am I eyeing that sale on Vietnam starting on the 5th? Argh. Well, probably I should try playing it online. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm getting a little bit of the hang of it.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've been saying I'd never play this online... so why am I eyeing that sale on Vietnam starting on the 5th? Argh. Well, probably I should try playing it online. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm getting a little bit of the hang of it.[/QUOTE]

It has a slight learning curve, at least until you learn the maps and figure out which guns are tailored to your playing style -- and depending on the situation, as well.

I'm not a huge FPS guy and I had tons of fun in this game.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've been saying I'd never play this online... so why am I eyeing that sale on Vietnam starting on the 5th? Argh. Well, probably I should try playing it online. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm getting a little bit of the hang of it.[/QUOTE]

This game, especially with the Vietnam DLC, is incredible online. The SP isn't bad but if you aren't going to play online, you might as well not own it IMO. The amount of teamwork involved in the gameplay is excellent and the game itself looks and sounds great.

Definitely give it a shot. The more you play and practice aiming with the analog stick, the better you'll get obviously. I used to play plenty of FPS games on my old PC back in the day and have gotten the hang of using a controller instead. That said, there aren't many contemporary FPS multiplayer games I choose to play anymore aside from this one and BF 1943. It's just so damned good.

[quote name='bsmiff']This game, especially with the Vietnam DLC, is incredible online. The SP isn't bad but if you aren't going to play online, you might as well not own it IMO. The amount of teamwork involved in the gameplay is excellent and the game itself looks and sounds great.

Definitely give it a shot. The more you play and practice aiming with the analog stick, the better you'll get obviously. I used to play plenty of FPS games on my old PC back in the day and have gotten the hang of using a controller instead. That said, there aren't many contemporary FPS multiplayer games I choose to play anymore aside from this one and BF 1943. It's just so damned good.[/QUOTE]

This is a great summary. The strategy and teamwork involved with managing your class and counters to the different vehciles is simply unmatched. I'm not really a fan at all of other twitch-shooter multiplayer modes with small maps, killstreaks, and no vehicles. That being said, I can't get enough of Battlefield.

In other news, I can't believe that Vietnam is dropping to 600 points for the sale later on this week. If you like BC2 you'd be crazy to skip out on it for that price.

Yeah, I'm going to get Vietnam lest I regret not having gotten it later. Such a deal addict. What about Onslaught? Is that worth picking up for 200 points?

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, I'm going to get Vietnam lest I regret not having gotten it later. Such a deal addict. What about Onslaught? Is that worth picking up for 200 points?[/QUOTE]

For 200 points? Probably. Wouldn't pay full price for it though. Not sure how many people still play Onslaught.

The 'Nam add-on is a nice deal though, will hopefully add a chunk of players for a while.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, I'm going to get Vietnam lest I regret not having gotten it later. Such a deal addict. What about Onslaught? Is that worth picking up for 200 points?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the onslaught is worth the 200 points, if you got it.

I finally tried the online tonight and... I think I just don't get how to play modern FPS online. They're incredibly disorienting and the games never seem to provide any kind of tutorial on how to play them. Or does it? I just keep dying over and over. I think I might have had one kill. It got old really fast. Even an option to roam the maps with no other players would help. Then I could at least orient myself to the maps before being thrown into the fire. At this point the Vietnam expansion and such are back off the table for me. At least I'm enjoying the single player and I'll continue that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I finally tried the online tonight and... I think I just don't get how to play modern FPS online. They're incredibly disorienting and the games never seem to provide any kind of tutorial on how to play them. Or does it? I just keep dying over and over. I think I might have had one kill. It got old really fast. Even an option to roam the maps with no other players would help. Then I could at least orient myself to the maps before being thrown into the fire. At this point the Vietnam expansion and such are back off the table for me. At least I'm enjoying the single player and I'll continue that.[/QUOTE]

It can be overwhelming if you don't play the campaign first. You experience different environments, weapons, enemies and vehicles, all which will prep you for online multiplayer. Even after that there's a short, online learning curve but such is the case with most online experiences.

I would suggest you join up with some experienced players around here to lessen your BC2 online frustration :D In the meantime, check out the video in this post back on page 89. It's comical...but it speaks the truth :D

Started playing again tonight after a 3-4 month break.
Heart skipped a beat when I checked my stats and saw that I dropped from 30 to 0 and everything was locked, including the maps. Luckily it went back to normal after I got a few points.

Had a lot of fun for several hours until the Helicopter maps started popping up.
Add Team Wookie refusing to capture flags and I lost the will to play anymore tonight.

Losing battle when there are two circling but I took down 3 of them with me (Tank cannon,UAV,MG) and assisted in dropping 3 more. :)

Hope Bing sends my points before Vietnam goes off sale.

I started playing this game again the other day and I'm slowly getting drawn back in.

If people want to team up and play, add me.

I'll try the online again, but I think I'll finish playing through the single-player first, as was suggested. Unfortunately since I don't play games quickly, that could be a while.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'll try the online again, but I think I'll finish playing through the single-player first, as was suggested. Unfortunately since I don't play games quickly, that could be a while.[/QUOTE]

We'll have to gather a small CAG group sometime and play online. I think going in blindly is pretty overwhelming and hinders the experience, seeing how this game has been out for a year already a lot of people have the maps down-pat.

Playing with some others who are familiar with the game will help with your enjoyability of the multiplayer aspect of the game, IMO.

I watched the video. That might help, though it still leaves out lots of details (perhaps revealed by finishing the single-player campaign??) such as how you drop ammo, health kits, etc. Whether or not such things are unlimited. Etc. At least I know about the tagging thing. Next time I try it I'll go tagging galore.

I'd be up for a CAG group, especially if you're tolerant of the "body count: his own body count" guy. :)

Just curious, how many people on here made it to rank 50? I just got there today after 455 total hours of playing. Even achieving this goal, I still plan to keep playing as I have other personal goals, and the game is incredibly fun.

Incidently, if I am playing BFBC2, I am usually happy to include more people into my squad/party

bread's done
Back