Best Buy Launches Nationwide Video Game In Store Trade-Ins - There is no $20 Bonus

Tarantulas14

CAGiversary!
Important Update - There is no $20 trade-in bonus on top of trade-in value
[quote name='ssjmichael']
I contacted Erin at BB (she put out the press release) to ask for some clarification and she replied right away with this:
Hi Michael:
I’ve actually had to make a correction to our announcement. The $20 GC will be on over 100 titles. However, it will not be on top of the trade-in value as we had originally announced. Apologies for the miscommunication. Thank you for checking.

Best,
Erin
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot and I copied this from Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5622590/best-buy-launches-nationwide-video-game-trade+ins

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Electronics retailer Best Buy has rolled out its new video game trade-in program nationwide, offering a $20 gift card with select titles to help offset the fact that GameStop gives more credit on average.

Best Buy's new trade-in program goes wide this week, launching in nearly 600 locations around the country, with more in the coming months. Customers in participating stores will be able to take their games to the customer service counter or, in select locations, a dedicated trade-in counter, swapping their used titles for store credit. Game consoles and game accessories are also tradable.

starting on August 29, more than 100 titles will be eligible for a $20 gift card when traded in at Best Buy stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Velo214']all of this is gonna be deleted soon, or should be deleted soon, by a mod. lol
im not a madame, lol, i get no cut of the loot! i connect people looking for something with that which they are seeking, whether they know it or not. im confused. lol
mostly lots of craigslist whores stay here and the occasional pimps, lol. i toked a fatty with a 'pimp' last nite while one of his girl's was passed out on the bed behind us. i was so stoned and he just kept talking about politics and cnn was on. lol.
crazy people ;)[/QUOTE]

So you're a 'concierge' for a hotel that promotes prostitution...and you don't get a cut? LOL I would love to come chill with you just to be able to say I got stoned with a pimp while on vacation.

I'm slowly compiling a list of all of the near ($15 and up) and over $20 TIV's from BB's trade site.

If there's no price in brackets next to it then it's one of the $20 values.

:ps3:
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
Alpha Protocol($27)
Assassin's Creed II
Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 LE
Blur($19)
COD: MW 2
COD: MW Hardened Edition
Clash Of The Titans($32)
C&C Red Alert 3 UE
Dante's Inferno
Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fifa Soccer 2010
Final Fantasy XIII
God Of War III
GTA: Episodes From LC($19)
Green Day: Rock Band($22)
Heavy Rain
How To Train Your Dragon
Just Cause 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days($33)
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4($25)
Madden 11($29)
Mafia II($32)
MAG
ModNation Racers($27)
Naughty Bear($22)
NCAA Basketball 10
NCAA Football 11($24)
Nier
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 5 CE
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition($24)
Shrek Forever After
Singularity($27)
Skate 3
Split/Second
Star ocean The Last Hope International
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11($24)
Toy Story 3($24)
Transformers: War For Cybertron($27)
Trinity Universe($21)
UFC Undisputed 2010($22)
Uncharted 2
Way Of The Samurai 3
White Knight Chronicles(International Edition)
Yakuza 3

:360:
2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa($27)
Alpha Protocol($27)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Asylum CE
Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 LE
Blur
COD: MW2
COD: MW2(Hardened Edition)
Clash Of The Titans($22)
Crackdown 2($27)
Dante's Inferno
Deathsmiles($21)
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fifa Soccer 10
Final Fantasy XIII
Forza Motorsport 3
Green Day: Rock Band($24)
Halo 3: ODST
How To Train Your Dragon
Just Cause 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days($31)
Left 4 Dead 2
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4($24)
Madden NFL 11($29)
Mafia II($32)
Metro 2033
N3II: Ninety-Nine Nights($27)
Naughty Bear($22)
NCAA Basketball 10
NCAA Football 11($24)
Nier
Red Dead Redemption
Shrek Forever After
Singularity($27)
Skate 3
Split/Second
Star Ocean: Last Hope
Supreme Commander 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction CE($32)
Toy Story 3
Transformers: War For Cybertron($26)
UFC Undisputed 2010($22)

:wii:
Arc Rise Fantasia
COD: MW Reflex Edition
Dance On Broadway($16)
Despicable Me($16)
Disney Sing It Pop Hits-Mic bundle
EA Sports Active
Fifa Soccer 10
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Green Day: Rock Band($19)
How To Train Your Dragon
Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4($24)
Madden NFL 11($28)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
Mario Kart
Mario Party 8
Mario Super Sluggers
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Monster Hunter Tri(game only)
New Super Mario Bros.
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Punch-Out!!
Shrek Forever After
Sin & Punishment 2($21)
Storybook Workshop($16)
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Toy Story 3($24)
Toy Story Mania
Transformers: War For Cybertron($21)
Warioware: Smooth Moves

:psp:
Madden NFL 11($25)
MGS: Peace Walker($19)

:ds:
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar($16)
Imagine Gymnast($15)
Pokemon Heartgold
Pokemon Soulsilver
Puzzle Quest 2($16)
Tetris DS

:ps2:
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Ico
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Tales Of The Abyss

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm slowly compiling a list of all of the near and over $20 TIV's from BB's trade site. Here's the PS3 list. If there's no price in brackets next to it then it's one of the $20 values.

:ps3:

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa
Alpha Protocol($27)
Assassin's Creed II
Bioshock 2
Bioshock 2 LE
Blur($19)
COD: MW 2
COD: MW Hardened Edition
Clash Of The Titans($32)
C&C Red Alert 3 UE
Dante's Inferno
Demon's Souls
Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fifa Soccer 2010
Final Fantasy XIII
God Of War III
GTA: Episodes From LC($19)
Green Day: Rock Band($22)
Heavy Rain
How To Train Your Dragon
Just Cause 2
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days($33)
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4($25)
Madden 11($29)
Mafia II($32)
MAG
ModNation Racers($27)
Naughty Bear($22)
NCAA Basketball 10
NCAA Football 11($24)
Nier
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 5 CE
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition($24)
Shrek Forever After
Singularity($27)
Skate 3
Split/Second
Star ocean The Last Hope International
Toy Story 3($24)
Transformers: War For Cybertron($27)
Trinity Universe($21)
UFC Undisputed 2010($22)
Uncharted 2
Way Of The Samurai 3
White Knight Chronicles(International Edition)
Yakuza 3
[/QUOTE]

That's actually a pretty good TIV on Singularity. I traded in mine to GS just yesterday for 25.80 AFTER 30% bonus and EDGE. I have another copy I may just flip to BB then

edit: Can't believe I forgot, but THANKS! =)

You're welcome. I'm currently compiling the 360 list and will add it to the above post for those who might be interested. I'll also compile the Wii/DS/PSP lists.

I'm actually kinda shocked by the NCAA basketball 10 value for PS3 being $20 still, since I figured that would've been $4-5 like the 2010 football one.

What amazes me though is the disparity between one version of a game versus the same game on another platform. Take for example Way Of The Samurai 3. For PS3 it's a $20 game, for the 360 it's an $8 game.

I traded in 5 games today:

Mario Galaxy $20
Mario & Sonic Olympics $20
Bad Company $5
Sonic the Hedgehog $4
Rock Band Classic Rock pack $4

They only checked the back of the disc for one of the games, Galaxy had a couple inserts but no manual, & the case for Bad Company was in really bad shape. They seem pretty forgiving, or maybe just don't care about the condition of the trades. The only downside (aside from bad TIVs on most stuff that isn't new or wii games) is that it took at least 25 minutes to get the trade completed.

[quote name='polly']I traded in 5 games today:

Mario Galaxy $20
Mario & Sonic Olympics $20
Bad Company $5
Sonic the Hedgehog $4
Rock Band Classic Rock pack $4

They only checked the back of the disc for one of the games, Galaxy had a couple inserts but no manual, & the case for Bad Company was in really bad shape. They seem pretty forgiving, or maybe just don't care about the condition of the trades. The only downside (aside from bad TIVs on most stuff that isn't new or wii games) is that it took at least 25 minutes to get the trade completed.[/QUOTE]

Why did it take so long to complete the trade? And damn only 5 dollars for Bad Company? I actually want one LOL

[quote name='kataztrophik']Why did it take so long to complete the trade? And damn only 5 dollars for Bad Company? I actually want one LOL[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have no idea. It was a painful wait though. They better get that taken care of if they really want to get into the trade in biz.

If you can find it, Bad Company is $10 at Blockbuster used, and with the B1G1 going on it really comes out to $5 if you pair it up with another $10 game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I'm actually kinda shocked by the NCAA basketball 10 value for PS3 being $20 still, since I figured that would've been $4-5 like the 2010 football one.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe because there isn't going to be a new NCAA Basketball game next year so it will hold its value better?

Someone was saying in the Gohastings thread that they give you 40 dollars for Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics. But I checked Bestbuy.com and it's only 20, unless there's something I'm not seeing.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Maybe because there isn't going to be a new NCAA Basketball game next year so it will hold its value better?[/QUOTE]
I guess. I don't follow the sports games, so I didn't know there might not be a new NCAA Basketball game.

That might explain it then.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Someone was saying in the Gohastings thread that they give you 40 dollars for Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics. But I checked Bestbuy.com and it's only 20, unless there's something I'm not seeing.[/QUOTE]

They're referring to buying 2 copies of Mario & Sonic at BBV with the B1G1Free sale, and trading in for 40 at Best Buy.

[quote name='polly']Yeah, I have no idea. It was a painful wait though. They better get that taken care of if they really want to get into the trade in biz.

If you can find it, Bad Company is $10 at Blockbuster used, and with the B1G1 going on it really comes out to $5 if you pair it up with another $10 game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked for it, couldn't find it. The BBV's in my area have crap selection for games...pretty disappointing to be honest.

You know what sucks is that my local BBV stores were overloaded before with copies of :wii:Toy Story Mania and apparently the company did a massive pull of games for their online game rental thing or to sell it to some liquidator or whatever.

Now it's impossible to find those in store.:roll:

Anyway, the list is done in post 198. I put up lists of every game with a TIV of $15 or over. They don't even list any games that are able to be traded for the Xbox or GBA though and there's no values around $15 for the Gamecube.

Again, post #198 has a list for every platform except Xbox, GBA and GC.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7562530&postcount=198

[quote name='Velo214']someone mentioned earning rzpoints or whatev when using credit, but that is false. if you spend gift cards they dont earn you any points. iv been spending gift cards at bestbuy for months now and they always just say 0.00 on my rewardzone page. it sucks but its true.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, a few years ago they switched it. You use to get no points for buying gift cards, and would get points for finally spending them. Now you can get the points for buying the gift cards, but you get nothing for spending them.

What's really weird though is I have a Capital One No Hassle Rewards card, and if I use a gift card at Best Buy it actually counts it as cash and I get credit card points for the purchase.

The way the credit card rewards and Best Buy rewards stack up are kind of amazing... add onto that Best Buy's price matching policy (with things like DEDUCTING instant gift cards at TRU from the price of the game!) and I find a hard time not shopping there.

If you consider the credit card points going toward something like a Best Buy gift card instead of spending them on a stupidly overpriced item from their catalog, and the Reward Zone points going towards more gift cards, a game purchase can break down like this.
1.25% - Credit Card Default Cash Back
5.00% - Credit Card Bonus for shopping through BestBuy.com (with In Store Pickup to save on shipping)
2.00% - Best Buy Standard Reward Zone Points
6.66% - Best Buy Gamers Club Reward Points.

When you total it up it's basically getting almost 15% off when buying games. Save up the Best Buy gift cards for your non game purchases, because you'll lose out on an additional 6.6% back.

[quote name='chuckdog']Does ne1 know if you're payed in a giftcard or store credit?[/QUOTE]

I traded in four games (including EA Sports Active without accessories) and got a single $80 gift card.

[quote name='polly']I traded in 5 games today:
The only downside (aside from bad TIVs on most stuff that isn't new or wii games) is that it took at least 25 minutes to get the trade completed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kataztrophik']Why did it take so long to complete the trade? [/QUOTE]

I traded in 6 games and it took 25-30 mins, I asked why and she told me that they are using the website to do the trade in and they had to type in everything. BTW there is a 3 game limit and it is tied into your ID. Address/phone doesn't matter.

[quote name='Readthepost']I traded in 6 games and it took 25-30 mins, I asked why and she told me that they are using the website to do the trade in and they had to type in everything. BTW there is a 3 game limit and it is tied into your ID. Address/phone doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

So theoretically there is a limit of 3 in-store and a separate limit of 3 online?

How long does it take to pull up the TIV values on their website? 2 minutes to look up the TIV's and then 28 minutes to process them through whatever convoluted system they use.

[quote name='DarthVicious82']$20 TIV for Blur? Not a bad flip if you picked on up for $10 a few weeks back.[/QUOTE]

Its better at GS. TIV at GS is 20 for the 360 version or 22 for the PS3 version. Add on 30% if you're trading in 4 or more games along with EDGE, and you're looking at either 28 or 30.80

[quote name='kataztrophik']Its better at GS. TIV at GS is 20 for the 360 version or 22 for the PS3 version. Add on 30% if you're trading in 4 or more games along with EDGE, and you're looking at either 28 or 30.80[/QUOTE]

But isn't it YMMV with GS? How much would GS give for Assassin's Creed II and Mirror's Edge (both PS3)?

Well, here's my fun experience with the new trade-in policy.

I showed up over my lunch break with a couple of games from the list to trade in for $40 and use some of that money toward my $19.99 copy of SC:C. The nice CSR at the desk told me I was actually the first person to trade in at my store, and she took me over to a different register to do the trade-in.

Problem was, my store didn't have a license to accept used games yet, at least not with AN ORIGINAL RECEIPT. fuck. Apparently, there's some issue with requiring a license to accept used goods, kind of like what applies to pawn shops.

Basically, she wasn't much help beyond that, saying to try back again in a week or so. For me, it was just a black eye on Best Buy's trade-in process. How a major big-box retailer could launch a new initiative this screwy is beyond me.

Not sure where to ask this question, but I figured this would be the best place. Anyways I was wondering when do you think the Best Buy Labor Day Sales will be posted on here?

I am planning to buy a new xbox 360 slim and was wondering if I should hold out until this weekend to buy?

Sorry if this isn't the place to post this sort of question, as I am new here.

Well I just traded in 2 copies of Mario & Sonic olympic games (no manual) for $40. Considering I bought them for $10 total yesterday I'm content.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I just noticed that Splinter Cell Conviction Limited Edition gets $32 TIV...[/QUOTE]

This goes for around 40 new...unless you know where I can get it cheaper :)

[quote name='kataztrophik']This goes for around 40 new...unless you know where I can get it cheaper :)[/QUOTE]

You probably can't get it much lower than that now, but the Ubisoft store was selling this version for $30 a month or so ago.

[quote name='jaso']You probably can't get it much lower than that now, but the Ubisoft store was selling this version for $30 a month or so ago.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that. I contemplated picking one up but I decided against it, since I rarely buy LE unless I really like them.

Dragon Age (PS3) $20
Assassin Creed (PS3) $20
Rogue Warrior (PS3) $6
Dark Void (PS3) $6
Baja: Edge of Control (PS3) $6

All together for $58 gift card. It took about 25 minutes and slow process with computers. Not bad with trade in offer, if I went to gamestop, would have been less trade in.

Took about 25 min. to get a single Mario & Sonic traded in during my first try today. Not too bad considering it was a $5 BBV pickup, but let's just hope with time that they smooth out all of the rough edges.

I received a copy of @gamer today in the mail as a "freebie" for being a member. Anyone else get it? I didn't get the first one. It doesn't look too bad, but the scores seem a bit high, and the coupons don't interest me. I already have RDR and FFXIII.

It's $2 an issue if you get a 10-magazine sub (WTF, why only 10?) so it might be worth your while for coupons only. If they had coupons in each mag fore $10 off ANYTHING instead of unknown games, that would be sweeter.

yeah the editors responded that they will have at least $20 worth of coupons per issue, and that the 1st 2 issues have been a bit front loaded with deals. so a sub sounds good for $2/issue but they have already warned, from the editors, that the deals may dry up. but im thinkn bout subscribing too so i dont have to put out $6 next month if a deal comes up.
im kicking myself for not getting more sc c yesterday cuz they kept ringing me out. i was gonna grab more today but the deal is dead. oh well

I just checked their website and it seems that they won't take my copies of Forza 3 or Halo 3 ODST as I don't have the art work for both of them because it's the holiday bundle set. Boo-urns.

it only adds insult to injury that i look through my weekly BB paper to see new trade in program at BB stores but guess wut.... no store in florida

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']sorry if its been answered but can you trade in 3 copies of 1 game in store like you can online?[/QUOTE]

You can trade up to 3 copies of a game per ID. Now the ID lookup is with your phone number, so... can't say for sure but if you used more than one number you MAY be able to play the system... if you were interested in doing so.

[quote name='ParticleReality']I just checked their website and it seems that they won't take my copies of Forza 3 or Halo 3 ODST as I don't have the art work for both of them because it's the holiday bundle set. Boo-urns.[/QUOTE]

You could try printing off a cover from here:

LINK

May or may not work, especially if you print it the right size on heavier than normal copy paper style paper.

my ds lite is worth 15 dollars in their trade in site. I would be better of using it to throw at the deer that come on my lawn than get 15 bucks

bread's done
Back