Best Buy Launches Nationwide Video Game In Store Trade-Ins - There is no $20 Bonus

Tarantulas14

CAGiversary!
Important Update - There is no $20 trade-in bonus on top of trade-in value
[quote name='ssjmichael']
I contacted Erin at BB (she put out the press release) to ask for some clarification and she replied right away with this:
Hi Michael:
I’ve actually had to make a correction to our announcement. The $20 GC will be on over 100 titles. However, it will not be on top of the trade-in value as we had originally announced. Apologies for the miscommunication. Thank you for checking.

Best,
Erin
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot and I copied this from Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5622590/best-buy-launches-nationwide-video-game-trade+ins

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Electronics retailer Best Buy has rolled out its new video game trade-in program nationwide, offering a $20 gift card with select titles to help offset the fact that GameStop gives more credit on average.

Best Buy's new trade-in program goes wide this week, launching in nearly 600 locations around the country, with more in the coming months. Customers in participating stores will be able to take their games to the customer service counter or, in select locations, a dedicated trade-in counter, swapping their used titles for store credit. Game consoles and game accessories are also tradable.

starting on August 29, more than 100 titles will be eligible for a $20 gift card when traded in at Best Buy stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JediJames2']Last set of coupons had a limit of 1, but I don't think anyone tried getting more than 1.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought, so it sounds like some scans are in my future. . .

[quote name='dgwillia006']Wow, 29 bucks for Modnation and 20 for Nier? God i wish one of the Best Buys near by was on the list :([/QUOTE]

Cripes, I'd give you $20 for Nier!

OP needs to be updated so people can stop asking about if the GC is a bonus or not. Also, the list of eligible titles will be up Saturday.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Looks like you're right. I contacted Erin at BB (she put out the press release) to ask for some clarification and she replied right away with this:
Pretty stupid. They fooled me and a bunch of media outlets with that wording. How silly of me to think they'd at least try to 1-up GS with their program.[/QUOTE]

I'm out then.

[quote name='Jodou']/Thread

OK guys, nothing to see here.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. They might as well have said "Our values suck compared to GS and we don;t plan to change that... but bring in your used games, anyway." Looks like I'll be sending that shipment off to Amazon this week, after all...

I'd imagine that you might see something that normally fetches $12-15 TIV get $20 here as a promo, but expecting too much of an increase is overly optimistic. I'd guess they are counting mostly on big BB customers to just trade in stuff they bought there in the first place.

[quote name='NattySlide']Kane and Lynch II has a TIV for $33...so if I were to trade that in this weekend, I would get $53 in total????

Freakin sweet...[/QUOTE]

Guys I think you are missing this. You will get $20 for that game. Say normal trade in is $17 they are bmping it to $20 kinda like what they did with the ACII TSM ec games they did a few months ago.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']The only one Kotaku mentions is RDR, which will get you $39 on Sunday... If that value holds, BB is gonna get a copy of RDR on Sunday...[/QUOTE]

Still, that is downright crap, especially if they are going to be selling these games in store. $19 for RDR is pathetic. I wonder how long they continue to offer less than Game Stop.

[quote name='smashngrab77']Guys I think you are missing this. You will get $20 for that game. Say normal trade in is $17 they are bmping it to $20 kinda like what they did with the ACII TSM ec games they did a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

If this is true, OP needs to edit the OP because calling the $20 a "bonus" is very misleading. You can't advertise a $20 bonus, then only offer $20 for the trade in. That is like saying your trade in is worthless, but we'll give you $20 anyway.

The only 2 BB doing this in Colorado are both 20-40 miles outside of Denver, not that I was considering this.

Keep in mind everyone that if their trade in values are not real good they may sell the used items a bit lower then GS and if you are like me and buy a lot of stuff there anyway you get a bunch of rewards certificates that'll really make this a good deal. We may not trade in stuff there but many people will if they are looking to use the credit for movies, ipods, cds and any other things that GS doesn't sell. I like the effort at the very least.

This news excites me, the more retailers that enter the used games domain the more incentives will be given to us to trade. I have quite a robust collection of outdated games that id like to drop off, and if I can reel in 20$ for any of them ill be happy.

Amazon and estarland are my go to places for credit when a new game I must have comes out. Rarely do I just go out and buy a game full price.

[quote name='daminion']It's a pain in the ass to get licensed as a pawn shop in Ohio. And that's essentially what sort of license they would need to acquire in order to buy and sell used games.[/QUOTE]

We have two pawn shops, three mom-and-pops, one regional, five national chains and various machines in gas station parking lots that buy and sell used games in this town alone. If they can manage, surely Best Buy can, too.

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

This should make El Hoardos here and else where a little upset.

I was the first person to trade games in at two Best Buys in my area. Well, my first trip was a bust as they don't accept just any old thing.
The first BB I went to wouldn't accept..
Daxter PSP
Wipeout Pure PSP
PGR3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 07
Rainbow Six Vegas
Tomb Raider Underworld

They would accept FEAR 2 which was $6.

I had to pack it up and leave but before going I inquired about a few games I knew I could get at Blockbuster. I wound up trading at a DIFFERENT LOCATION...
Okami Wii-$7
Dark Void-$6

For some reason FEAR 2 wouldn't show up in their system, despite showing up at the other location.
I wound up having to trade in..

Pure PS3-$6

I wound up getting Splinter Cell Conviction with the credit.

Best Buy can look up trade in values, but more than likely they'll refuse to do it over the phone which sucks because so many games are exempt. You basically have to take a chance on them accepting what you bring in.

Oh, and you MUST have a complete game, meaning box art and instructions. If you don't have those you can forget trading your game in.

[quote name='ultramanJ']Oh, and you MUST have a complete game, meaning box art and instructions. If you don't have those you can forget trading your game in.[/QUOTE]

I always wonder if the reasoning behind this is so they can reseal them and say they are new.

[quote name='bjstucker']I always wonder if the reasoning behind this is so they can reseal them and say they are new.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it is. I know the games that get exchanged (when it's defective) get resealed.

Well, I don't know for sure, but a friend that works at a Best Buy told me that's how they do things.

The game must have the Original OUTSIDE Artwork and the game disc has to be in good condition. The manual is OPTIONAL. We are also not supposed to take back any games that have a rental sticker on them. The trade-in prices that are online match what they are in store. So there is really no need to call the store about a million trade-ins asking for pricing. This is a brand new roll out and the system will be continually updated over time so you can expect better trade-in values and promo's in the future. The current system doesn't allow for a lot of promo's that you would see at gamestop like say trade in 2 select games, get X game for $10 type of ordeal. Its all coming, its just a matter of time. I can't really get into the details in regards to what the plan on used games is. Its a bunch of vendor agreements and it is quite different from Gamestop. We will not be flipping the game in store immediately to be stocked on the shelf to resell it. All used games will be refurbished also. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions that you may have if it is something that I feel I can elaborate on without breaking the whole trade secrets.

[quote name='bjstucker']I always wonder if the reasoning behind this is so they can reseal them and say they are new.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they are doing it so it doesn't look like they're peddling a bunch of garbage like at GS.

[quote name='cupcakex1']I'm pretty sure it is. I know the games that get exchanged (when it's defective) get resealed.

Well, I don't know for sure, but a friend that works at a Best Buy told me that's how they do things.[/QUOTE]

Games will NOT be resealed to be sold as new. Games will also not be immediately flipped to be sold on the floor ala Gamestop. That is not something that they are doing. All used games will be refurbished.

[quote name='hustletron']LOL no Florida, bullshit.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, it is most likely because Florida has some stupidly annoying pawn shop laws that require finger prints for trade-ins. I spent a summer there and had to do this several times.

Whether or not your store does it is YMMV, but BBuy Corporate just wants to stay away from it.

[quote name='Hellacious']Games will NOT be resealed to be sold as new. Games will also not be immediately flipped to be sold on the floor ala Gamestop. That is not something that they are doing. All used games will be refurbished.[/QUOTE]

Do we get payment then and there or wait for it in the mail a month later like the current tradein program?

[quote name='nixmahn']Do we get payment then and there or wait for it in the mail a month later like the current tradein program?[/QUOTE]

Do people read anything anymore or just expect everything answered for them instantly ?

so uh let me get this right from what i've read from the website is that if you purchased the product your trading in from a non best buy store you can't go to a best buy store and get credit you have to mail it in instead? screw that mess if that's the case.

[quote name='MikePWV']so uh let me get this right from what i've read from the website is that if you purchased the product your trading in from a non best buy store you can't go to a best buy store and get credit you have to mail it in instead? screw that mess if that's the case.[/QUOTE]

#-o

[quote name='Derrick1979']#-o[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that well thought out response. After reading it again it seems that only applies to ipod, labtops or mobile phones. my bad

[quote name='Derrick1979']Do people read anything anymore or just expect everything answered for them instantly ?[/QUOTE]

the latter

the latter for sure

so how much for little big planet

[quote name='exRounder']the latter

the latter for sure

so how much for little big planet[/QUOTE]

$8

Gamestop is currently offering $9 according to here.

[quote name='MikePWV']Thanks for that well thought out response. After reading it again it seems that only applies to ipod, labtops or mobile phones. my bad[/QUOTE]

Your Welcome :lol:

Wow, they games they take back are so limited. Just for fun I typed in Splinter Cell Conviction and Halo and they're not even among the tradeable games! Even Street Fighter 4 (regular and Super), Tekken 6, Batman AA didn't show up. Wii seems to be the system with the most eligible games with even stuff like Bust a Move Bash showing up!
Can't see myself bothering with Best Buy much in the future.

[quote name='ultramanJ']Wow, they games they take back are so limited. Just for fun I typed in Splinter Cell Conviction and Halo and they're not even among the tradeable games! Even Street Fighter 4 (regular and Super), Tekken 6, Batman AA didn't show up. Wii seems to be the system with the most eligible games with even stuff like Bust a Move Bash showing up!
Can't see myself bothering with Best Buy much in the future.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what? Are you using the current Best Buy online trade-in option?

Ie, this:

http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

I can find all of those games there.

In fact, maybe this is a sneak preview of one of the $20 games, but Batman AA is $20 for the 360 (while still $12 for the PS3).

Just keep in mind their search is a bit wonky so try changing the wording a bit if you don't find something. And make sure the popup menu doesn't have the wrong system. Sometimes it changes when you select a game to look at - I'm thinking maybe you had it set to "Wii" when you were searching ;).

Edit: Found another higher than normal price: Mario & Sonic Olympic Games is $20 (whereas it is $9 at Amazon and GS).

[quote name='ultramanJ']Wow, they games they take back are so limited. Just for fun I typed in Splinter Cell Conviction and Halo and they're not even among the tradeable games! Even Street Fighter 4 (regular and Super), Tekken 6, Batman AA didn't show up. Wii seems to be the system with the most eligible games with even stuff like Bust a Move Bash showing up!
Can't see myself bothering with Best Buy much in the future.[/QUOTE]

:360:Splinter Cell: Conviction(currently a $12 trade-in):
http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm?platform=Xbox360&upc=008888523840

I wonder if the $20 value for Batman: AA is for the 3-D/GOTY edition or the vanilla version.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:360:Splinter Cell: Conviction(currently a $12 trade-in):
http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm?platform=Xbox360&upc=008888523840

I wonder if the $20 value for Batman: AA is for the 3-D/GOTY edition or the vanilla version.[/QUOTE]

The UPC is 788687200660 which appears to be for the regular vanilla edition. They don't seem to have the GotY one listed, actually (though they do, oddly enough, have the Collector's Edition).

I noticed that too and it seemed pretty weird that they would have the older version and the collector's edition(wonder if you need to put that cheap plastic Batarang in the trade package with it?:lol:)up on the site but NOT the GOTY.

Especially since with that $20 TIV they're offering 50% of it's current MSRP for it, which is unheard of most times for trade values.

I just wonder if they'll end up offering reduced price TIV's in store later on that allow you to take CASH instead of just BB credit. I know they've already done that via DealTree when they were offering checks/Paypal for trades.

But at least with the DT program the TIV's were the same in cash as it was for credit with no deduction in price versus GS which offers 20% less if you take cash and NO promos apply.

So we can trade in any game they currently have listed on their trade-in site for the $20 trade-in credit on Sunday or is their some other list I should be looking at for titles that are eligible? Also, does anybody know if there will be a limit to how many times you can do this i.e. trade in 3 games for $60?

[quote name='zpoor17']So we can trade in any game they currently have listed on their trade-in site for the $20 trade-in credit on Sunday or is their some other list I should be looking at for titles that are eligible? Also, does anybody know if there will be a limit to how many times you can do this i.e. trade in 3 games for $60?[/QUOTE]

Well, the in-store trade-in program will supposedly use the same values, so you'll get whatever is currently listed online, not necessarily $20. They might be bumping more up to $20 for the Sunday deal, though, so you would have to keep checking or wait for a list to be released. Or they may already be scattered amongst the currently-listed games. Batman AA for 360 and Mario & Sonic Olympics for Wii are both artifically inflated to $20 so it would seem that at least some of the deal games are currently active - but maybe not all. Or maybe those are just flukes that have nothing to do with it.

The limit is 3 per year on the online trade-ins. I don't know if the in-store will be any different (or if the 2 will be combined - ie, 3 total either in store or online) but I suspect we'll find out soon enough.

[quote name='nixmahn']Do we get payment then and there or wait for it in the mail a month later like the current tradein program?[/QUOTE]

If you do a gift card, then you get it right away. If you choose the mail check, you will receive it in 7-14 business days from the corporate office.

Ok, time to answer some more questions with a probable double post. So where to begin.

Certain locations do not currently have everything squared away from a legal standpoint to process trade-ins in store. As someone said it varies state by state with pawn shop laws. Some stores will be getting this finalized in the coming month and some later than that. Other locations will never be able to do trade-ins due to the massive amount of work to get a license to do so.

Maximum trade-in of 3 per title per calendar year. I haven't tested this with the system just yet but I am assuming that it ties to your account. If you have different accounts with different information then you may be able to do it. This applies to both online and in store procedures and processes.

As far as the differences for trade-ins. Some stores are Receipt only stores where the store will only allow you to trade the game in if you purchased it at Best Buy. If you don't have your receipt then they should be able to look it up for you via your Reward Zone Account. For all other stores, they can accept no receipt trade-ins without an issue. Again this comes down to the individual logistics of each and every state.

The list of games for the $20 gift card whether it be games that get you $20 credit or $20 additional credit hasn't been provided to anyone at store level just yet. Nor has it been specified as to which it is. It may not be posted until the ad is posted online sometime Sunday morning.

Again I hope this has been helpful. I will do my best to continue to answer questions.

bread's done
Back