Best Buy Launches Nationwide Video Game In Store Trade-Ins - There is no $20 Bonus

Tarantulas14

CAGiversary!
Important Update - There is no $20 trade-in bonus on top of trade-in value
[quote name='ssjmichael']
I contacted Erin at BB (she put out the press release) to ask for some clarification and she replied right away with this:
Hi Michael:
I’ve actually had to make a correction to our announcement. The $20 GC will be on over 100 titles. However, it will not be on top of the trade-in value as we had originally announced. Apologies for the miscommunication. Thank you for checking.

Best,
Erin
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot and I copied this from Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5622590/best-buy-launches-nationwide-video-game-trade+ins

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Electronics retailer Best Buy has rolled out its new video game trade-in program nationwide, offering a $20 gift card with select titles to help offset the fact that GameStop gives more credit on average.

Best Buy's new trade-in program goes wide this week, launching in nearly 600 locations around the country, with more in the coming months. Customers in participating stores will be able to take their games to the customer service counter or, in select locations, a dedicated trade-in counter, swapping their used titles for store credit. Game consoles and game accessories are also tradable.

starting on August 29, more than 100 titles will be eligible for a $20 gift card when traded in at Best Buy stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there's still a chance it's possible that its 20 dollar GC on top of TIV? Nice! I know that they said it's only a 20 dollar GC, but any hope that is 20 on top of TIV makes me happy seeing as i got a few games that may possibly qualify. Thanks Hellacious!

You mentioned multiple accounts might be used to circumvent the three per year limit: what, if any, ID do they require for creating an account? This sounds like such a half-baked system, I doubt they'll even track how many you've traded TBH.

In traditional BB fashion, it looks like the left isn't talking to the right so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of stores aren't ready for live. They can't even get their story straight as to how this $20 promo works. I can't wait to see what glitches befall this. As for receipt only stores, forget about it. That's such a worthless practice they'll get zero business.

[quote name='Jodou']You mentioned multiple accounts might be used to circumvent the three per year limit: what, if any, ID do they require for creating an account? This sounds like such a half-baked system, I doubt they'll even track how many you've traded TBH.

In traditional BB fashion, it looks like the left isn't talking to the right so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of stores aren't ready for live. They can't even get their story straight as to how this $20 promo works. I can't wait to see what glitches befall this. As for receipt only stores, forget about it. That's such a worthless practice they'll get zero business.[/QUOTE]

They require a state issued ID to prove that you are over 18 in order to trade in titles. The system is supposed to keep track of everything but we shall see how it all works. As far as the promo, it was something that Corporate announced to the media outlets but has never sent that information down to us at store level to be able to tell you one way or the other. That's why I said, you just have to wait until tomorrow. When the ad breaks is when you will have a final answer. As for the Receipt only stores, again it falls into logistics and laws for the area that the store is in and also the state. There really isn't a whole lot that we can do about it other than say that they are continually working with those parties to make the changes necessary.

The system is the same as the previous trade-in system used for laptops and ipods and stuff in store. The system itself has been around for probably a year now. Generally speaking whenever something new is launched, its never perfect and adjustments have to be made. You can rest assured that the system will be continually updated to help ensure the best customer experience.

Hellacious i got another quick question

I went to a Best Buy that said they take trade ins and i asked 3 employees just to make sure, and all said yes, but they all said that the Geek Squad in the store handles that kind of stuff. This true?

Jeopardy
Phantasyx-I'll take Bate and Switch for $20.

Alec- "an extra $20 Gift card with every trade in, no scratch that, you can get up to $20 with a select list"
Phantasyx- mmm *hits buzzer*What is Best buy?
Alec-Incorrect, and times up. What is fuck you, the answer was fuck you ladies and gentlemen. I'll just deduct that from your total of 0 and we can move on.

[quote name='phantasyx']Jeopardy
Phantasyx-I'll take Bate and Switch for $20.

Alec- "an extra $20 Gift card with every trade in, no scratch that, you can get up to $20 with a select list"
Phantasyx- mmm *hits buzzer*What is Best buy?
Alec-Incorrect, and times up. What is fuck you, the answer was fuck you ladies and gentlemen. I'll just deduct that from your total of 0 and we can move on.[/QUOTE]

Since my man confoosius isn't here anymore, I'll kindly ask you not to use phrases you don't understand, much less know how to spell. Clever post, though.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']Hellacious i got another quick question

I went to a Best Buy that said they take trade ins and i asked 3 employees just to make sure, and all said yes, but they all said that the Geek Squad in the store handles that kind of stuff. This true?[/QUOTE]

It kind of is true to some extent. Essentially before the Videogame roll out, Geek Squad was the only department that did instore trade-ins for laptops and ipods. Now with the Videogame roll out, Customer Service will be processing the Videogames and Geek Squad will continue to process laptops and ipods. Hope that clears it up for you.

Looks like they posted the list:

Here's a list of games whose present trade-in value is $20 or more (subject to change):

Assassin's Creed II (PS3)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (PS2)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360)

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

BioShock 2 (PS3)

BioShock 2 (Xbox 360)

BioShock 2 - Limited Edition (PS3)

BioShock 2 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex (Wii)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Hardened Edition (PS3)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Hardened Edition (Xbox 360)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Prestige Edition (PS3)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Prestige Edition (Xbox 360)

Call of Duty: World at War - DVD Box Set (Xbox 360)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Ultimate Edition (PS3)

Dante's Inferno (PS3)

Dante's Inferno (Xbox 360)

Deathsmiles (Xbox 360)

Demon's Souls (PS3)

Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition (PS3)

Disney Sing It: Pop Hits - Microphone Bundle (Wii)

Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)

Dragon Age: Origins (Xbox 360)

Dragon Age: Origins - Collector's Edition (PS3)

Dragon Age: Origins - Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)

EA Sports Active (Wii)

Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition (PS3)

Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360)

FIFA Soccer 10 (PS3)

FIFA Soccer 10 (Wii)

FIFA Soccer 10 (Xbox 360)

Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

Final Fantasy XIII (Xbox 360)

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)

Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)

God of War III (PS3)

God of War III Ultimate Edition (PS3)

Halo 3 ODST/Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)

Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)

Heavy Rain (PS3)

How to Train Your Dragon (PS3)

How to Train Your Dragon (Wii)

How to Train Your Dragon (Xbox 360)

ICO (PS2)

Just Cause 2 (PS3)

Just Cause 2 (Xbox 360)

Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Xbox 360)

Madden NFL 11 (PSP)

Madden NFL 11 (Wii)

MAG (PS3)

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)

Mario Kart - Game Only (Wii)

Mario Party 8 (Wii)

Mario Super Sluggers (Wii)

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2)

Metro 2033 (Xbox 360)

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)

Monster Hunter Tri - Game Only (Wii)

Naughty Bear (PS3)

Naughty Bear (Xbox 360)

Naval Assault: The Killing Tide (Xbox 360)

NCAA Basketball 10 (PS3)

NCAA Basketball 10 (Xbox 360)

New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)

Nier (PS3)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)

Pokemon HeartGold (DS)

Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)

Pokemon: Battle Revolution (Wii)

Punch-Out!! (Wii)

Red Dead Redemption (PS3)

Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360)

Shrek Forever After (PS3)

Shrek Forever After (Wii)

Shrek Forever After (Xbox 360)

Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor (Wii)

Split/Second (PS3)

Split/Second (Xbox 360)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PS3)

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Super Paper Mario (Wii)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)

Supreme Commander 2 (Xbox 360)

Tales of the Abyss (PS2)

Tetris DS (DS)

Toy Story 3 (PS3)

Toy Story 3 (Wii)

Toy Story 3 (Xbox 360)

Toy Story Mania! (Wii)

Transformers: War for Cybertron (Wii)

Trinity Universe (PS3)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii)

Way of the Samurai 3 (PS3)

White Knight Chronicles - International Edition (PS3)

Yakuza 3 (PS3)

List subject to change. Please visit the Best Buy Trade-In Center for details and actual trade-in values.

Too bad there isn't any flip potential on that list with the Buy 1 Get 1 Free at Gamerush. I mean you can get some of the Mario games for $7.50 each at Blockbuster, but good luck finding those. I'd love to flip my way to a $1,000 TV for $250 cash. Heh.

Do you need the original case for these trade ins?

I haven't touched Super Paper Mario since a month after I bought it, and gladly trade it in for $20 towards Metroid Other M. But when I moved out of my parents place I took all my games in a binder of discs and left the cases at home :(

[quote name='Astro7x']Do you need the original case for these trade ins?

I haven't touched Super Paper Mario since a month after I bought it, and gladly trade it in for $20 towards Metroid Other M. But when I moved out of my parents place I took all my games in a binder of discs and left the cases at home :([/QUOTE]

yeah you need the original case :(. Idk if you need the manual though

Meh list. Anything on the list that I have I paid more than the $20 TIV for and I wouldn't let go of unless they have some sort of BONUS value on top of the $20.:roll:

I guess DealTree/Best Buy learned their lesson after getting flooded with thousands of the same games a while ago, huh?:cry:

[quote name='poker360']Hah, my best buy is doing the trade in's , so much for the shitty list. I thought it was "OVER 100!!"[/QUOTE]

i think that list is 102. just sayin

In some cases if the other versions of games released cross platform aren't on the list, you guys might wanna check the values on the BB TIV search.

:ps3:Transformers: War For Cybertron-$27.00
:360:Transformers: War For Cybertron-$26.00

There's also a buttload of other games that get OVER the $20 TIV and some that get just under across all platforms from what I've seen thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what FFXIII or Red Dead Redemption goes for these days, but I hardly play them anymore. I might as well give it in. I got $30 in reward credit and this could get me a brand new game for free

$20 for Assassin's Creed II (PS3) is pretty good value considering Brotherhood is coming out in about 2 months.

Hrm, wonder if they are going to want the leg strap/band for EA Sports Active. I have More Workouts and have no need for the original game anymore...

The pre-owned vanilla Fallout 3 for PS3 costs like $4 or $5 more than the brand new copy I ordered off of Amazon with 2 day shipping.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']yeah you need the original case :(. Idk if you need the manual though[/QUOTE]

Manual is optional but not required.

Original Game Case and Original Outside Artwork plus game disc is required. Game disc has to be in good condition, no major scratches and can't be chipped, cracked, split in half, etc.

No previous rental games will be accepted either.

[quote name='manthing']Hrmm, $20 for Halo ODST with Reach around the corner?

I wonder if they require both discs?[/QUOTE]

Heh, you said reach around.

Just look on Amazon how much old games sell on there, and compare it to how much GS or BB gave ya.

You guys say GS is better than BB, but I am wondering if OLDER games BB is actually better?

Cuz GS gave jack **** for older games.

I will be surprised any GS, BB beats Amazon price.

[quote name='manthing']Hrmm, $20 for Halo ODST with Reach around the corner?

I wonder if they require both discs?[/QUOTE]

No, just bring the box and manual and you are good to go :roll:

As others have said, this is a major disappointment. I'm hoping Best Buy gets a little more competitive if they want to go toe to toe with folks like Gamestop.

few flips. gamefly has mario n sonic winter 2 for 31.25->40 bestbuy. also gohastings b2g1$ is good for mario and sonic olympics and dragon age. both 18ish but tax/shipping is killer on gohastings. gamefly was free shipping and 1.25 tax, gohastings is about 11.50 shipping and tax, ouch! but still 45->60 flip if ya want. peace out!

Actually, there's a few TIV that are more than Amazon or GS:

Dragon Age Origins 20 TIV is great considering I just got PC version for that price and MSRP is 30-40
Forza 3 at 20 is better than most
And Super Mario Galaxy 1 at 20 aint too shabby

I would have gotten like 45 at amazon, 60 dollar game at BB here I come!

[quote name='dallascowboys']Does anyone know if odst dropped to $15 at blockbuster?[/QUOTE]
Won't happen until tomorrow if it does. I have not seen a copy at all in about 6 BBV stores in my area. What is the current price?

bread's done
Back