Best Buy Mystery Certificate (Check Email)

I had one hell of a time using mine. After confirming the $5 value, I wanted to use it toward a Kingdom Hearts III preorder. The cashier tried unsuccessfully for a couple minutes to use the certificate, then called a manager over, who after another few minutes noticed that it wasn't working because it's only supposed to be used for *in-stock* items, which a preorder is obviously not.

There wasn't much else I wanted to buy, so I decided to get a $10 PSN card... which was the only denomination that was out of stock. The manager and I looked all over the store and didn't see a single one.

I settled for a $20 card and was ready to check out.. but I wasn't getting my GCU discount. The manager mentioned GCU being finicky on preorders, and had to take another minute to manually adjust the price. Altogether it took at least fifteen minutes, probably more.

...And now I'm concerned about whether I'll get the $10 reward for preordering the game, since I had to jump through so many hoops to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one hell of a time using mine. After confirming the $5 value, I wanted to use it toward a Kingdom Hearts III preorder. The cashier tried unsuccessfully for a couple minutes to use the certificate, then called a manager over, who after another few minutes noticed that it wasn't working because it's only supposed to be used for *in-stock* items, which a preorder is obviously not.

There wasn't much else I wanted to buy, so I decided to get a $10 PSN card... which was the only denomination that was out of stock. The manager and I looked all over the store and didn't see a single one.

I settled for a $20 card and was ready to check out.. but I wasn't getting my GCU discount. The manager mentioned GCU being finicky on preorders, and had to take another minute to manually adjust the price. Altogether it took at least fifteen minutes, probably more.

...And now I'm concerned about whether I'll get the $10 reward for preordering the game, since I had to jump through so many hoops to get it.
GCU comes off on pre-orders when you go pick it up, not before.

I have a 8tb external hdd connected to my PS4 Slim. I went with a 3.5 inch WD Desktop (ac power) and paid roughly $140 last year after Black Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right now I have a WD 3tb My Passport external HDD connected to my PS4. I'm going to transfer the games from the 500gb internal HDD to the external drive to free up space. I wouldn't mind having a 2tb internal HDD to make I don't run out of storage any time soon. I'm definitely going to look into a larger capacity external HDD like the one you have now.

Right now I have a WD 3tb My Passport external HDD connected to my PS4. I'm going to transfer the games from the 500gb internal HDD to the external drive to free up space. I wouldn't mind having a 2tb internal HDD to make I don't run out of storage any time soon. I'm definitely going to look into a larger capacity external HDD like the one you have now.
I got my first PS4 last Black Friday and the slims were at 1tb then. I had kinda got burned out on gaming and switched to movies. I also have a 8tb external hdd connected to my router as a media server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point of preordering in store was to use the $5 certificate, since it can't be used online. After going through all that trouble to find something else to use the certificate on, there was no reason not to go through with it anyway, especially since the store is very close to my home.

I would wait to use your certificates until it's almost time for them to expire. Last time they gave these out I forgot i had it and got a reminder email, but the number was different from the first one and ended up getting $10. I think it helped to several people here.

I would wait to use your certificates until it's almost time for them to expire. Last time they gave these out I forgot i had it and got a reminder email, but the number was different from the first one and ended up getting $10. I think it helped to several people here.
Thanks! I totally forgot about that.:)

The point of preordering in store was to use the $5 certificate, since it can't be used online. After going through all that trouble to find something else to use the certificate on, there was no reason not to go through with it anyway, especially since the store is very close to my home.
I'm confused. If you tried to use the cert on a game, it won't stack with GCU as a known issue. If you were using the cert on the PSN credit then why couldn't you pre-order the game online later; the cert would have been used?

Used mine, $5 as always.  I joked about this with the cashier, who rather coldly noted she had worked at BB for many years and never seen anything other than $5. 

Im not really sure who is luckier, those that HAVE to go to Best Buy and find some garbage to spend 5 bucks on or those that can keep blissfully unaware that Best Buy still exists

Got xbox money with my $5. My store had the pack with 3 $15 card and 1 $5 card for $45 so with the card $40 out of pocket for $50 credit. Not horrible I guess.

Weird
I was elite for so long, GCU since day 1-2019 and I NEVER EVER get these free certificate or promo coupons

Ever
BBY is so racist

Never got this.  Not even $5.

GCU recently expired.  Still haven't gotten the supposed 25% off goodbye coupon.

It's almost like Best Buy doesn't want my money.  Black Friday/Cyber Monday might be the last time I ever step foot in a Best Buy/order from their website.

Edit:  Found the 25% off goodbye coupon.  I guess I might go one more time after Cyber Monday.

I've always gotten the mystery coupon, but not this year.  Still get all their advertisement emails though.  I wonder what their criteria was for it.

Can I use it on 11/16 even tho it expires on that date?
Yes. From the fine print:

"redeemable ... during normal store hours before store closing on 11/16/18"

Just got an email for it. Bit late but glad I got it. Don't know how to check it's value though.
Go to store and have rep scan barcode on left side. If your code ends in 877, you got $5.

I just used mine yesterday and got another email today for a mystery certificate but it doesn't say reminder or something else indicating it's a different certificate.  The certificate number is the same though so I'm assuming it would come up as used.  

I just used mine yesterday and got another email today for a mystery certificate but it doesn't say reminder or something else indicating it's a different certificate. The certificate number is the same though so I'm assuming it would come up as used.
Without fail, I get an email from Best Buy about my reward certificates the day after I use them. It’s uncanny.

-has anyone gotten the $5000 or anything above $10?

-what will you all do if you win the $5000? As I posted previously, if I get $5000, I will donate every penny to my local children's hospital.

Best but keeps sending me the same certificate wanting me to go to the store.  I was there last week and everything I came there for was out of stock.  So best buy loses a sale because the don't like to restock their store and will not allow me to use the certificate online.  Sorry, best buy.

I tried to use the cert last week when I picked up one of the Turtle Beach Recon 150 headsets that were on sale and couldn't use the cert due to the sale price.....

I also no longer have GCU which sucks, but I think I am going to stop in before this cert expires and pick up SNK 40th Anniversary Collection. Really missing the GCU discount for stuff like that $40 isn't a terrible price, but a lot of games in that price range were much easier to purchase with the discount and now I feel like I will just simply buy less and ironically losing the discount will save me more money than having it did. 

bread's done
Back