Best Buy-Playstation 3D Display-$299.99 incl. glasses, HDMI, Motorstorm Apocalypse

[quote name='camnron']That is 100% incorrect if your using this with a ps3. The 1.4 HDMI cables have higher bandwidth and are only needed to play games in full 1080p. The ps3 does not support hdmi 1.4 cables as it was designed before those were ever created. The ps3 will work with ANY hdmi cable in 3d as it only plays games in 3d @ 720p. It still plays 3d movies in full 1080p though because it doesnt take as much bandwidth. I know this for a fact as my buddy has been using his original hdmi cable with his ps3 on his 55'' panasonic viera.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about this myself. I'm using an HDMI 1.3 cable with my Sony 3D TV and PS3, and it's still doing 3D.

hear a lot about you guys think it will drop to $200 soon.

Best Buy is NOT Target. Target does crazy 50-75% off clearance all the time, but BB is usually more reserved... and a tons of items doesn't guarantee a price drop.

I am trying to hook this up with an old 360(w/o HDMI) using component, but it won't support 1080p, only 1080i and 720p are ok, so is this normal? Since i have another Samsung 1080p panel and it have no problem to support 1080p through 360 component out.

[quote name='elessar123']I was wondering about this myself. I'm using an HDMI 1.3 cable with my Sony 3D TV and PS3, and it's still doing 3D.[/QUOTE]

That's because HDMI 1.3 cables mostly are all 1.4 compatible. I haven't switched any cables in many years and just upgraded to a 3D projector. No trouble.

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']hear a lot about you guys think it will drop to $200 soon.

Best Buy is NOT Target. Target does crazy 50-75% off clearance all the time, but BB is usually more reserved... and a tons of items doesn't guarantee a price drop.[/QUOTE]
you've seen the best buy mega sale thread haven't you ;) or any of the clearance threads from best buy over the past 6 months? I couldn't tell you how many $10 games and collectors editions I've picked up from them this year

[quote name='shadowkast']Funny, that's the same one I've had my eye on. Lemme know if you ever pick it up or find a deal on it[/QUOTE]

Will do:)

[quote name='shadowkast']you've seen the best buy mega sale thread haven't you ;) or any of the clearance threads from best buy over the past 6 months? I couldn't tell you how many $10 games and collectors editions I've picked up from them this year[/QUOTE]

Good job answering, I couldn't figure out what the fuck he was talking about....

[quote name='WilliamG']That's because HDMI 1.3 cables mostly are all 1.4 compatible. I haven't switched any cables in many years and just upgraded to a 3D projector. No trouble.[/QUOTE]

Which projector and how do you like it?

[quote name='shadowkast']you've seen the best buy mega sale thread haven't you ;) or any of the clearance threads from best buy over the past 6 months? I couldn't tell you how many $10 games and collectors editions I've picked up from them this year[/QUOTE]

yeah but its pretty clear to me this $299 is like an unintentional sale because the BB ad shows this at $399 with a MSRP of $499

[quote name='Radewagon']Not to plug myself, but I think I did a pretty good review of this set. Also, I might be able to anwser any burning questions you might have. Just put a comment on the blog. I'm pretty sure it allows for anonymous comments.

Link[/QUOTE]

Great detailed review. The only thing I would want to see is more pictures. I was also pleasantly surprised to read about the PSP feature. Didn't even think about that when getting this. Does there appear to be any way to upgrade the firmware of the set if other improvements are made down the road?

[quote name='goengland']I am trying to hook this up with an old 360(w/o HDMI) using component, but it won't support 1080p, only 1080i and 720p are ok, so is this normal? Since i have another Samsung 1080p panel and it have no problem to support 1080p through 360 component out.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if you are the first person to try 1080p over component on it. Some sets just don't support 1080p through component, maybe this is one of them. I'm assuming your xbox was already updated to output 1080p and you know it works on other sets. Anyone else try it out?

[quote name='scottman']Great detailed review. The only thing I would want to see is more pictures. I was also pleasantly surprised to read about the PSP feature. Didn't even think about that when getting this. Does there appear to be any way to upgrade the firmware of the set if other improvements are made down the road?

I wonder if you are the first person to try 1080p over component on it. Some sets just don't support 1080p through component, maybe this is one of them. I'm assuming your xbox was already updated to output 1080p and you know it works on other sets. Anyone else try it out?[/QUOTE]

The 360 componet cables killed me with the hd toggle switch on them. I never understood the point to it?

I got the 25 to work. Just print out the code and the picture of what it does, and you might have some luck. It didn't work in the system, but a manager did it anyway for me. YMMV.

Does anyone know if the new ps3 remote can turn the tv on and off? I know it auto-shuts when there isn't a signal but that doesn't work well hooked up to a pc running 24/7.

Had to stop and see if they had a demo unit up. They did but it's only showing a looped video showcasing the simulview. Maybe a lil 3d demo would have sold me...you know, to show off the main feature I care about

[quote name='bodine1231']I really want to get this but there aren't that many games out right now that I want to play that support 3D.[/QUOTE]

Eh, there are tons of 3D capable games, so I can't agree on that point.

However, I've yet to play one that was better in 3D than 2D.

[quote name='elessar123']Eh, there are tons of 3D capable games, so I can't agree on that point.

However, I've yet to play one that was better in 3D than 2D.[/QUOTE]

Oh there are a good bit of games,problem is I've already played through most of the ones I'd like to play.

[quote name='Jinque']Does anyone know if the new ps3 remote can turn the tv on and off? I know it auto-shuts when there isn't a signal but that doesn't work well hooked up to a pc running 24/7.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it can shut it off. Just got my remote today and it makes using any settings or volume adjustment so much easier. A must have for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely want this. Although there isn't that many games in 3D, I would use it to watch 3D movies but only when the TV in the Living Room is in use...

[quote name='ajumbaje']Might bite at that price. Fantasy football money lol[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Thank you, Stafford and your 37 points.

Picked up one today. Figure I got the 45 days...cannot open it yet as wifey has said I can get a new TV. Too bad I really do not have the space to put in anything bigger than a 55" (possibly 60 if lucky) without destroying the 7.1 setup or modifying some furniture.

[quote name='bobphone']Exactly! Thank you, Stafford and your 37 points.[/QUOTE]
My opponent has laid an egg so far(semi finals). Im up by 50 and i benched cj spiller. We award also for reg season pts total, which I got.

This is now my computer monitor... mainly.

Occasionally I will use it to also watch 3D movies and play 3D games from consoles.

Think I should get a Warranty plan? Since I willl be using it a lot?

[quote name='ajumbaje']My opponent has laid an egg so far(semi finals). Im up by 50 and i benched cj spiller. We award also for reg season pts total, which I got.[/QUOTE]

My hopes were dashed with Fred Jackson. While I do have Ray Rice and Frank Gore, neither were as consistent...and that egg the Baltimore laid last night...sheesh...had their D as well & was only down 8.

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']This is now my computer monitor... mainly.

Occasionally I will use it to also watch 3D movies and play 3D games from consoles.

Think I should get a Warranty plan? Since I willl be using it a lot?[/QUOTE]

How is it as a computer monitor? Have you tried playing any PC games?

My buddy got this after checking mine out the first night, and also planned to double it as a PC monitor. He returned it a few days later because of the glossiness of the screen. He said for him, it almost made basic PC use unbearable. To be fair, he's in a fairly well lit office in his house, and does a good bit of school work on his computer, so that was pretty important to him. I also have it in the office in my house, but it is strictly for gaming. I like to play in the dark 99% of the time, so the glare is a non-issue for me, and BOY is this thing beautiful, both the picture quality, and the actual design of the monitor itself. I did see what he was talking about though when I set it up during the day, though..if you have some kind of stationary light source right above or behind the thing (like a lamp, or the light on a ceiling fan), the glare is pretty bad. It's hard to tell when you see it on display at BB, because, even though it's bright in there, the lights are high up in the ceiling, and not blaring down directly on the screen.

He is a pretty die-hard Sony and Apple-only guy, so I was surprised to hear he dis-liked it so much, but I can see how it would not work so well for him in his situation. I'm still very happy with mine, and am loving my little 'mini' 3D gaming setup in the back room (have a 55" 3D plasma, also), where I can retreat to if the rest of the family wants to watch TV in the living room. I just wished I would have hopped on the Kilpsch Pro Media 2.1 deal BB had right after Black Friday, because that would have been the perfect complement to my gaming room/office.

Just thought I'd throw my $.02 in there since some of you were talking about computer use. I can say that he had absolutely no problem connecting his MacBook Pro to it. So it works fine with computers, but the glare could be a major issue, depending on your lighting situation.

[quote name='tukai']I have a PSP3000 and this monitor. What else do i need to use the PSP zoom feature please?[/QUOTE]

You need a psp component cable. Make sure you get the one for the psp 2000/3000 and not the pspGO version or the composite version.

Here is the official one at amazon for $12:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VIPJ0W/

Got this thing a few days ago and it works and looks good. I watched TRON in 3D and it looked great. The only problem is you have to be very close to the screen to make it worth it. Now I see why 3D would be much better on 50-60" screen. The picture quality for normal blu-ray has to be the best part about this monitor. The games are where I will probably be spending most of my time with this however. Halo CE in 3D looked awesome but I cant see myself using it that often. And yes the glasses will start to hurt your nose and leave a mark after about an hour. For $299 its a great high quality PC display where you will mostly be using it for regular gaming/pc use and test out the 3D each time you get a new game/movie that supports it. If you want 3D wait for a larger TV if you want the best experience.

I'm gonna keep my eye on this to see if it may drop further. One of my roommates desperately needs a new TV for her Uverse, comp monitor and 360 so this may do the job.

[quote name='jmbreci']My hopes were dashed with Fred Jackson. While I do have Ray Rice and Frank Gore, neither were as consistent...and that egg the Baltimore laid last night...sheesh...had their D as well & was only down 8.[/QUOTE]
Same. I had Fred and Darren McFadden. I also drafted rice and wells though. Did pick up spiller. I also have welker and Marshall. Lost schaub, but picked up tebow the moment he became starter. Also got Vernon Davis, Stephen Gostkowski and cincy d

[quote name='Radewagon']Not to plug myself, but I think I did a pretty good review of this set. Also, I might be able to anwser any burning questions you might have. Just put a comment on the blog. I'm pretty sure it allows for anonymous comments.

Link[/QUOTE]

Excellent review, Radewagon! Very informative, I wasn't aware of the PSP zoom feature and component filtering. How do you feel the picture is with Wii games? Does the component filtering help?

Made it to my fantasy football championship game after last night. I was down 13 and I had the Niners defense. Thanks Big Ben for sucking so bad! Awesome!

Which games have the best 3D? I've played Killzone 3 and Gears 3, and they were both really good. In Gears, somebody threw a grenade at me, and I could actually see where it went now. It flew right at me.

I picked up one of these yesterday at Best Buy. There were 19 left when I bought it. I wasnt able to use the $25 giftcard mobile coupon. The system wouldn't accept it since it was already on sale.
I set it up last night. The styling and picture quality of it is awesome. It looks great in my bedroom. The sound is decent but definitely not as good as Sony hyped it up to be. I did find a cluster of dead pixels in the lower right of the screen. There is also some backlight bleed but i think thats pretty standard with edge lit lcds. I am going to exchange it for another one either tonight or tomorrow to try to get one without dead pixels.
I tried out the 3d on a few games. Gears 3 (side by side), Uncharted 3, Halo Anniversary, and Crysis 2 (side by side). I was disappointed in the 3d on Gears 3 (blurry textures) and Uncharted 3 (lots of ghosting during motion) but the 3d on Halo looked amazing. Crysis 2 looked very good also even though it was using the same side-by-side 3d implementation that in gears 3 appeared to lower the resolution alot. I dont have any 3d movies to test it with but I did download a short clip off of the playstation store. It wasnt that great. I'm hoping it was just that clip.
I also noticed some eye strain when wearing the glasses and a pretty big decrease in brightness. All of my testing was done with the room completely dark.
I like the feature that turns the screen on and off when a HDMI signal is detected. At this point the only reason I would need the remote control is to adjust the volume. For $20 I'll probably still pickup the remote.
I'm still not sold on 3D but for the cost of the display vs other 24" TVs I think it was worth it. I don't need a tuner because I use my xbox 360 as a windows media center extender. I did need speakers though so most PC LCDs wouldnt work for me.

I picked one up last night and I'm satisfied so far. This is pretty much my first 3D device outside of the 3ds, so I didn't want to spend too much to try 3D. $300 bucks is fair for a 24" monitor, game, glasses, hdmi(even though i have like 10 of these), and a micro usb. Just quickly browsing Newegg, the cheapest 3d monitor is an Acer 24" for 300. So far, I've used the 3D on Dynasty Warriors 7, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone 3, and Motorstorm.

Some quick things about what comes with this. The monitor looks like a PSPgo(which isn't bad, just different). It's roughly the size of 10 ps3 game cases set in a 2X10 fashion if you want to get a visual of the size. You don't need a screw driver or anything to set it on the stand so that was nice. Unfortunately, this wasn't really designed for mounting so if you want to mount this, you can't. The glasses are convenient due to the rechargeable battery. I've been reading that it takes about 30 mins for a full charge and that last for 30 or so hours. The usb cord is maybe 6 inches long which is enough since charging and using the glasses at the same time doesn't work(i could be wrong but it's silly if you do both at the same time anyways). It seems that whenever the 3D kicks in, everything gets slightly darker. I don't know if this is how active 3D works.

Dynasty Warriors 7 was the first game I tried. It was in the system at the time. And wow, that was awful. The 3d is done so horribly and way way too disorienting to play. There was really bad ghosting. At first I was worried that it was the monitor and that's the way 3D worked. But no, I ended up figuring out that the 3D in DW7 was just tacked on and poorly done. Then I tried Shadow of the Colossus and it was wonderful. Dirt flies to the screen when your horse kicks it up, birds show depth when they swoop across the screen. I only got to the first colossus and when I saw that in 3D, I got those nostalgic shivers and I'm very excited to play this again.

So again, I think this was a good Christmas gift to myself. I guess I just need to use it more to decide whether or not to keep going with 3d stuff.

bread's done
Back