Best Buy-Playstation 3D Display-$299.99 incl. glasses, HDMI, Motorstorm Apocalypse

[quote name='caltab']I was actually thinking the game/cable/glasses were only worth closer to 50 bucks (at least to me), thats why I said I could see 250 but not 200. If this monitor bundle were to sell at 199, it'd be like getting the display for 150. Are there any 23 led 3d monitors on the market for 150 bucks, regardless of brand name? If it drops to 250 outside the price adjustment period, I am ok with it, thats a price I am willing to pay to open this up xmas morning.[/QUOTE]

The glasses alone go for $60 at a discount on amazon, so I don't see how you can say the extras are worth only $50 to you. I have no use for a tickle me elmo, but I can't tell others it's worth only $1.

At my store, I saw one guy picking one up in front of me, and they had at least 5 sitting on the floor hidden among stacks of ps3, xboxes and mayhem bundles. No demo display at all, so I can understand casual shoppers not even knowing about this. I think the size is the main problem with this, but I doubt Sony can keep lowering it just because it doesn't sell. They don't drop slow selling 32" TVs down to $200 just because they have a lot of stock, do they? That only happens at places like Target that go crazy with clearance. But then again, Bestbuy has been going crazy with videogame and sony discounts lately.

But even the cheapest NON-LED, NON-3D noname Viore 24" TV that they have instock on their site is $200 right now. So asking for this bundle to reach that is a little unrealistic IMO.

Went to Best Buy today and saw a ton of them for the $299 price. If it dropped to $199 I would buy one in an instant. I have my $100 gift certifate just waiting to be used. :p

[quote name='scottman']The glasses alone go for $60 at a discount on amazon, so I don't see how you can say the extras are worth only $50 to you. I have no use for a tickle me elmo, but I can't tell others it's worth only $1.

At my store, I saw one guy picking one up in front of me, and they had at least 5 sitting on the floor hidden among stacks of ps3, xboxes and mayhem bundles. No demo display at all, so I can understand casual shoppers not even knowing about this. I think the size is the main problem with this, but I doubt Sony can keep lowering it just because it doesn't sell. They don't drop slow selling 32" TVs down to $200 just because they have a lot of stock, do they? That only happens at places like Target that go crazy with clearance. But then again, Bestbuy has been going crazy with videogame and sony discounts lately.

But even the cheapest NON-LED, NON-3D noname Viore 24" TV that they have instock on their site is $200 right now. So asking for this bundle to reach that is a little unrealistic IMO.[/QUOTE]

I bought it this morning at 300. I said I think the extras are worth 50 bucks to me because I place very little value on the game and I think the glasses have been half off before. I was actually arguing against the idea this would drop any further, I said only 50 bucks to illustrate the point even if you place little value on the extras it is still not realistic to think this will hit 199. I do think that it is possible this will be 250 some day, but not anytime soon.

I think if you are looking for a smaller display this price point represents a very good value, regardless of the name Sony.

This thing really impressed me. Well worth the $300 and if it hits $200, I'm going to buy every one that I can get at my BB and put them all around my house and my store. fuck, I might get one for my bathroom tomorrow just to stream netflix.

[quote name='caltab']I was actually thinking the game/cable/glasses were only worth closer to 50 bucks (at least to me), thats why I said I could see 250 but not 200. If this monitor bundle were to sell at 199, it'd be like getting the display for 150. Are there any 23 led 3d monitors on the market for 150 bucks, regardless of brand name? If it drops to 250 outside the price adjustment period, I am ok with it, thats a price I am willing to pay to open this up xmas morning.[/QUOTE]

The next cheapest 3D monitors are the LG ones at around $300-350 for passive. Active shutter ones are around the $400-500 mark. And may or may not come with the 3D kit to use with your PC. Prices are coming down on those too since they were about a hundred dollars more a month or two ago.

$300 for this is a good deal. They just need to market it differently and probably towards PC gamers a bit too. And maybe change how it looks because I don't want my monitor looking like a giant PSP.

How would I be able to use this as a PC monitor if my DELL PC doesn't have HDMI or component? It just has that blue vga cable input.

[quote name='CAG 79']How would I be able to use this as a PC monitor if my DELL PC doesn't have HDMI or component? It just has that blue vga cable input.[/QUOTE]

Component to VGA adapter.

I can't seem to find the manual online, so if anyone can answer these question, that would be great.

Is there a sleep mode with this display? With the PS3 remote (is it only the new version or will the old version work also), can you put it in sleep mode (10 min/30 min etc).
Can you use the remote to switch HDMI input?

Main use would be in the bedroom. Hook up a PS3 and a Roku and stream something on Roku, set sleep mode and then doze off type of thing.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Component to VGA adapter.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thank you sir. Trying to convince my wife why I need this, lol.

[quote name='CAG 79']How would I be able to use this as a PC monitor if my DELL PC doesn't have HDMI or component? It just has that blue vga cable input.[/QUOTE]

You will need a vga to hdmi converter heres a good websites that sells good cables for great prices Monoprice

I bought this display on dec 5th with the Harry Potter 160g PS3. Price matched it last week when it fell to 399, and price matched again today to 299. This deal keeps getting better :)

[quote name='Evolved']I can't believe how many of you are using coax instead of hdmi. The difference in picture quality is like going from SD to HD. You might as well go back to using tube tv's.[/QUOTE]
That's because the only box that Comcast gave us only has composite ports on it. Otherwise I'd have dragged that beast down here and hooked it up via HDMI to my new HDtv already.

[quote name='wasabi5858']I can't seem to find the manual online, so if anyone can answer these question, that would be great.

Is there a sleep mode with this display? With the PS3 remote (is it only the new version or will the old version work also), can you put it in sleep mode (10 min/30 min etc).

Main use would be in the bedroom. Hook up a PS3 and a Roku and stream something on Roku, set sleep mode and then doze off type of thing.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Most remote that has TV/Video button works for switching. Ps3 blu remote doesn't have one.
Display goes to sleep mode if it doesn't receive a signal. Optional feature.

[quote name='wasabi5858']I can't seem to find the manual online, so if anyone can answer these question, that would be great.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Most remotes that have TV/Video button works for switching. Ps3 blu remote doesn't have one.
Display can go to sleep mode if it doesn't receive a signal but no sleep timer.

For those who own this display and have correctional eyeglasses, how do you guys use the 3d glasses? Can you put the 3d glasses over your eyeglasses (I do that when watching 3d movies in the theater)? I never really used a 3DTV. I might stop by BBY to try it out to find out myself. Just curious how you guys handled it.

[quote name='d33jays']For those who own this display and have correctional eyeglasses, how do you guys use the 3d glasses? Can you put the 3d glasses over your eyeglasses (I do that when watching 3d movies in the theater)? I never really used a 3DTV. I might stop by BBY to try it out to find out myself. Just curious how you guys handled it.[/QUOTE]

Just wear them on top. Works fine with me.

FYI, BBY extended warranty is 2 yr $30 4 yr $50 now. Led, speakers, 1 time coverage of 3d nonreplaceable lithium battery active shutter glasses if they go out.

[quote name='Evolved']I can't believe how many of you are using coax instead of hdmi. The difference in picture quality is like going from SD to HD. You might as well go back to using tube tv's.[/QUOTE]

B/c the cable companies charge $10-$15 per box. This small screen will likely go in my bedroom and it doesn't make a ton of sense to add more boxes for the small amount of use it would get.

So I was thinking can you mess with gamestop buy 2 get 1 free system. Get 2 games get one for free then return the 2 games and keep the free game? and retry retry retry?

[quote name='JaNaaasty']So I was thinking can you mess with gamestop buy 2 get 1 free system. Get 2 games get one for free then return the 2 games and keep the free game? and retry retry retry?[/QUOTE]

Get the fuck out.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

From what one of the videos i have seen they say it auto shuts off when no input is detected. So once one turns off the input it will turn off. One sight said it turns off too quick.

[quote name='Ispep Aloc']Picked up yesterday. To those who asked, 360 works fine on it.[/QUOTE]

Initial impressions?

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']I just have a feeling these will be 200-250 in the very near future. I checked in-store inventory and the closest 8-10 stores all have this in stock. It hasn't exactly been a big seller.[/QUOTE]

Most stores have these TV's on the floor so yeah you shouldn't have any trouble finding one in stock.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Was thinking about picking one up for a computer monitor...I have a 55" 3D tv for my PS3/Blu-Ray/360...how is this? I'd probably sell Motorstorm[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't sleep on Motorstorm man. It's a fantastic game. I received it free earlier in the year, and it's a blast especially if you surround sound support. I would at least play it first because I'm positive you could make some money off of it on Craigslist down the line. :)

[quote name='shadowkast']Damn link doesn't work for me. Just brings me to a black best buy page. What model Epson you looking at out of curiosity? I think I have my mind set then spend an hour at avsforum and change my mind every time![/QUOTE]

Epson 3010.

[quote name='aerotive']Here's a video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnStY4-fN_E

Given all the tepid reviews, I think I'll wait till it's $200...tempting though.[/QUOTE]

A couple of things

1 this was interviewed at a 500.00 price point

2 they seem to review it as a tv. Which is understandable considering 500.00

3 the one dude was negative from the start.

4 there on the couch like it is 40 inch display

5 they tried no other games or movies (I believe) just motorstorm

6 i wonder if it was reviewd at 300 what the thoughts would be.

The 2 screen simil. I tried at best buy and it was crisp I couldn't see the other player even when I flip sides. WHen I removed the glaseses I saw a blurry ghosting image.

We need reviews from people that have it and put it to the test imo. I am looking for a hdmi pc card so I can flip but I will have some impressions from my unit asap

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Epson 3010.[/QUOTE]

Funny, that's the same one I've had my eye on. Lemme know if you ever pick it up or find a deal on it

[quote name='gepet0']A couple of things

The 2 screen simil. I tried at best buy and it was crisp I couldn't see the other player even when I flip sides. WHen I removed the glaseses I saw a blurry ghosting image.

We need reviews from people that have it and put it to the test imo. I am looking for a hdmi pc card so I can flip but I will have some impressions from my unit asap
.[/QUOTE]

While you raise some interesting points, the other two guys seemed pretty open minded and frankly, the price point doesn't seem to have much impact on the biggest downsides of the monitor which are the size and dim picture while in simulview mode. Frankly, I enjoyed their review and concluded that I should wait and perhaps never jump on it because the monitor is far too small, it has limited capabilities and at the end of the day, I don't live in a dorm or other small space where I need something this size or smaller and I don't have friends who feel the need to huddle with me on the four PS3 games this actually supports. So, if anything, I would be picking it up to play around with and $300 is too much for a device that won't really see much use in my home.

[quote name='bojay1997']While you raise some interesting points, the other two guys seemed pretty open minded and frankly, the price point doesn't seem to have much impact on the biggest downsides of the monitor which are the size and dim picture while in simulview mode. Frankly, I enjoyed their review and concluded that I should wait and perhaps never jump on it because the monitor is far too small, it has limited capabilities and at the end of the day, I don't live in a dorm or other small space where I need something this size or smaller and I don't have friends who feel the need to huddle with me on the four PS3 games this actually supports. So, if anything, I would be picking it up to play around with and $300 is too much for a device that won't really see much use in my home.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. If I knew what the dim was I would look for it. I don't plan on using the simulview. What I saw when trying the kiosk looked like normal gaming to me. It was real bugged out hiiting the button flipping views.

I even moved left and right up down thinking it would alter it. It wasn't a long extended test just a few demo loops but it is definately a trip.

On another note. There was a big sony tv runining uncharted and that picture looked sweet. Dam near 3d in a 2d world. No glasses.LOL Everything just shoot out at you.

I watched that review before buying the display and it had some nice info, but they are sitting on the couch in the living room. I have yet to see someone who bought it use it like this. Sony messed up on getting the marketing of this display. If you intend to buy this for a living room I really do not think you should get it at any price.

[quote name='gepet0']A couple of things

.[/QUOTE]

Not to plug myself, but I think I did a pretty good review of this set. Also, I might be able to anwser any burning questions you might have. Just put a comment on the blog. I'm pretty sure it allows for anonymous comments.

Link

[quote name='Radewagon']Not to plug myself, but I think I did a pretty good review of this set. Also, I might be able to anwser any burning questions you might have. Just put a comment on the blog. I'm pretty sure it allows for anonymous comments.

Link[/QUOTE]

You've had it for a little while now, have you had any of the technical problems I've been reading about, like the screen occasionally going black.

[quote name='Radewagon']Not to plug myself, but I think I did a pretty good review of this set. Also, I might be able to anwser any burning questions you might have. Just put a comment on the blog. I'm pretty sure it allows for anonymous comments.

Link[/QUOTE]

Nice review. So what do you think about it's value at a 300.00 price point? Also the comment about the newer hdmi cabls for 3d. Old ones won't work?

[quote name='gepet0']Nice review. So what do you think about it's value at a 300.00 price point? Also the comment about the newer hdmi cabls for 3d. Old ones won't work?[/QUOTE]

I use old, cheap, Firefold HDMI cables on my new 3D TV and they work fine.

[quote name='gepet0']Nice review. So what do you think about it's value at a 300.00 price point? Also the comment about the newer hdmi cabls for 3d. Old ones won't work?[/QUOTE]

Old one is 1.3 HDMI cable. for any 3D TV need 1.4 HDMI cable.

They don't have to be brand new. They just have to be HDMI 1.4a version cables

Same as other people have been saying. They have to be the 1.4 standard. And because HDMI cables are VERY poorly explained on most packages, it's good that Sony included one.

And at 300, I think it's an excellent Display. I thought it was good for 3D fans at 500. I thought it was good for everyone curious about 3D at 400. And at 300, I think it's a steal (as long as you don't want to use it for TV). Now that I've had it longer, the only thing I don't like about this set is the light bleed that I referred to in my original review. Every once in a while, my eye just sort of locks in on it and I can't stop noticing it's there. I'm sure I'll get over that, though.

i went ahead and bought one. $300 isn't too bad and i will get silver RZ points. If i end up not liking it, I'll just return it. And I have a 45 return day policy and BB could price match it if it goes lower

[quote name='bojay1997']While you raise some interesting points, the other two guys seemed pretty open minded and frankly, the price point doesn't seem to have much impact on the biggest downsides of the monitor which are the size and dim picture while in simulview mode. Frankly, I enjoyed their review and concluded that I should wait and perhaps never jump on it because the monitor is far too small, it has limited capabilities and at the end of the day, I don't live in a dorm or other small space where I need something this size or smaller and I don't have friends who feel the need to huddle with me on the four PS3 games this actually supports. So, if anything, I would be picking it up to play around with and $300 is too much for a device that won't really see much use in my home.[/QUOTE]

I agree the size is not good for anything other than solo or duo gaming in a somewhat close environment. But for most people, it is about the size or larger than what they're used to as a computer gaming monitor, so I don't think size will ruin the experience for the right setup. It is for bedrooms/dormrooms or people like me, who have main non-3D TVs they don't want to replace yet, but want a taste of the 3D experience. At launch, the price was restrictive for both purposes, but now I can see many more people without 3D tvs getting it to try out. For others waiting for another drop, keep in mind the LG 23" passive 3D set is still ~$300 at most places, so the new price is very competitive. But I agree the main problem is that the market of people looking for this size set is small.

Link[/QUOTE]

Great review. I especially liked the information about the special PSP zoom mode which has been completely passed over by the press. I would, however, have liked some better comparisons to the quality of 3D on other monitors and televisions. I am hearing that the refresh rate is only 60hz which is fine for a 2D computer monitor, but not really up to current standards for 3D televisions, even if you accept that Sony advertises Motionflow as 240 on its EX720 series when it's really 120. Panasonic and other higher end 3D TV manufacturers claim refresh rates of 600 hz which I would imagine makes for a very smooth and easy to watch picture in 3D. Has anyone done a real side by side comparison of this monitor and other 3D monitors and televisions?

[quote name='reddjoey']I know one kink is that is doesn't have a coaxial in so your tv options are limited to the 2 HDMI ports or 1 Component in[/QUOTE]
Deal killer for me. If I got this it would replace a CRT TV in our secondary play room. There is no cable box in here as I just run from the wall to the TV currently. I was on the fence until I realized this.

Yeah I think Sony really priced this too high to start with, it is essentially just a monitor with speakers. Granted a nice one.

[quote name='onyzukae']Old one is 1.3 HDMI cable. for any 3D TV need 1.4 HDMI cable.[/QUOTE]

That is 100% incorrect if your using this with a ps3. The 1.4 HDMI cables have higher bandwidth and are only needed to play games in full 1080p. The ps3 does not support hdmi 1.4 cables as it was designed before those were ever created. The ps3 will work with ANY hdmi cable in 3d as it only plays games in 3d @ 720p. It still plays 3d movies in full 1080p though because it doesnt take as much bandwidth. I know this for a fact as my buddy has been using his original hdmi cable with his ps3 on his 55'' panasonic viera.

edit: it depends on the player encoding the media, not the display itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back