Best Buy, time for Mystery Rewards!

Uh, that's weird. I got an e-mail saying I got a $35 certificate. 

"Lucky you. A new rewards certificate is here."

I checked the site and it was there, but I was going through checkout to buy something with it and the checkout failed. Then it said the rewards certificate had already been redeemed, and it disappeared from my list of certs. It was set to expire in a few days. I definitely didn't use it, I just got it around ten minutes ago.

Has this happened to any of you guys? Who do I e-mail about this? I'm not seeing an e-mail on the customer support page and I really don't want to fuss with a phone call right now. 

EDIT: I misread the date, it isn't supposed to expire until next year. I definitely got it and it was definitely in my account, but now it's gone. WTF?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use these online. I found out how a while ago.

Don't be logged in. Checkout as a guest. During checkout put your MyBBY member ID and from the mystery certificate use the certificate number. It should then apply the 20% GCU (if applicable) off, let you use the mystery certificate, any other certificates you might have (need to manually add them like the mystery cert). You should also earn points for the purchase since you put your member ID in during the checkout process.

They don't want you doing this as to make you go into the store. That is why these exist, to try to get you into the store to buy more then you plan on. So these work online if you work around the "mystery" part.
Thanks a million for this. I've gotten a few of these certificates before(i think they send me a $5 every birthday), and never ended up using any of them because the nearest store is a 30 minute drive from here.

I did encounter one snag when checking out: for some reason, my 20% GCU discount just wouldn't apply at checkout, even though it accepted the $5 mystery certificate. However, after entering my certificate number and seeing the $5 certificate apply, i returned to cart, then checked out the normal way (through logging in). My 20% discount worked properly then, and the $5 mystery certificate was still applied to the order. If anyone comes across the same issue, maybe this will help.

I used Saix_XIII's method to reveal myself a nice cool $5 as well. My certificate started with a 3 and ended with a 4 in case anyone is curious.

If only I had this a week ago when I went on a spending spree buying up all those used games.

Going by the previous posts, it looks like I also got a $5 cert, as well. Ah, well. That's $5 more than I got from Best Buy around this time last year.

Don't be logged in. Checkout as a guest. During checkout put your MyBBY member ID and from the mystery certificate use the certificate number. It should then apply the 20% GCU (if applicable) off, let you use the mystery certificate, any other certificates you might have (need to manually add them like the mystery cert). You should also earn points for the purchase since you put your member ID in during the checkout process.

They don't want you doing this as to make you go into the store. That is why these exist, to try to get you into the store to buy more then you plan on. So these work online if you work around the "mystery" part.
I tried this however when I enter the certificate number, the webpage says "That's not a valid member Id and certificate combination"

Edit: $5

Anyone find anything good to spend this $5 on. Honestly no idea what to use it on and I'd hate to waste a free $5
I used mine on a preorder for The Last Guardian. Combined with GCU, the total came to about $45. It comes out in December so there won't be any Black Friday deals, and i figure that's the best price i'll see on it before maybe the spring. Unless it completely tanks, anyway.

Anyone find anything good to spend this $5 on. Honestly no idea what to use it on and I'd hate to waste a free $5
since i recently finished Fallout 4 and loved it (only took about a year), i ended up buying that Skyrim Dragonborn Bundle. it comes with a cool hat/mask and a steelbook. surprised it's still available. anyways, i'm sure it will last me almost as long as Fallout 4.

I got a mystery reward which I'll redeem with the $5 reward I just got. Really want the Transformers 86 shout factory bluray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a $15 gift card to eat out or a gas card if you want no current games. Call of Duty Ghost is almost free with GCU.

I got $5 and used my certs to get a almost free $50 gift card.

I was able to checkout as a guest, and applied my $5.00 "reward" towards a $10 PSN card, which BTW has free shipping. I also was able to use a BestBuy gift card on the order for the $5.00 balance, which usually never works online anymore. They don't let you pay online for another kind of "gift card" with a BestBuy gift card. They don't let me use my BestBuy rewards online towards any kind of PSN or Xbox gift card either anymore, though I never had a problem months ago. Supposedly, instore you can still use BestBuy gift cards and Best Buy rewards towards those gift cards (they cannot be BestBuy gift cards though).

That was a great find on checking out as a "guest" and saving us all the hassle of a trip. there was nothing I really wanted right now to take advantage of my GCU discount for me personally.

I also went to best buy thru a cash back link, for added bonus 1 percent back bonus!! (ebates)

Was able to check out as a guest and use my mystery reward ($5) plus another reward certificate to get a MS $10 XBL digital card.  Thanks for the tip!

I'm glad I ran into this post it saved me a trip to Best Buy. Mine was $5 I stacked it with a $15 certificate and GCU to preorder COD Legacy Edition. Thank you guys!

OP: thanks for the thread, didn't know about this. Email is so full of crap, I hardly ever check it, way too spam to wade thru to get to anything worthwhile. Truly, thanks!!

Planned Offer Distribution/Odds: (35) 250,000 My Best Buy Points (1 in 400,000). (350) $500 Offer Certificate (1 in 40,000). (1,750) $100 Offer Certificate (1 in 8,000). (3,500) $50 Offer Certificate: (1 in 4,000). (8,750) $20 Offer Certificate (1 in 1,600). (13,985,615) $5 Offer Certificate: (1:1

My barcode ends in 3
I wonder what we gotta do be be part of the special group of 14million lol.

First year I've been elite, first time I haven't gotten a mystery reward cert. Thanks Best Buy :p
1st yr elite here as well, but i've never gotten a cert lol.

Wow, same thing as me lol. I always got them and never made elite. This year I'm elite, didn't get one.
so I'm guessing elite plus & elites don't get them...anyone actually get them who are elite or elite plus?

I got a rock.
we gotta do something different to be apart of the special group of 14 million! lol

Nothing as usual for me. I think since these mystery rewards were first posted here probably close to 10 years ago, I have gotten a $5 certificate once.
My mom got 1, think it was the 1st year they did it or something like 10 yrs ago. It came in regular mail on a blue fold out with the card with the code stuck inside the mailer. Never got another in years afterward to my knowledge.

Are these sent out in waves or am I not one of the chosen few?
Apparently 14million is the chosen few =(

Have 2 accounts, a regular elite acct & a student acct...got nothing on both lol.

The good news is I got a five dollar code. The bad news while checking my inbox I neglected to use my 10% off birthday coupon they sent me which was much more valuable. Good times.

Thank you for posting this! Saved me the trouble of driving for $5 off.

Wanted to buy some of the new Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards, but they're $4.79 in the cart. Need 21 cents to push me to $5 before tax.

welp, used it for COD for the $10 reward and I probably wont open it until they add it to the trade in list on my way back to bestbuy

If every person actually went and redeemed their certificate, Best Buy would have given out 70 Million dollars minimum. That's insane, although I expect the percentage of people that actually redeem these is less than 10%.

I seem to get these every other year. I keeps the old emails. I did get one last year, so probably no cert for me this year. Does anyone know if there is a generic link where you can input your RZ number to see if it generated one for your account (and you didn't receive the email)?

I can't get it to work online. I followed the instructions mentioned, but it says the promotional code is not recognized.

Edit: nevermind, I was entering it in the wrong place.

$20.61 for the new Shantae is not bad at all.

Glad this could help so many people :)  Was really surprised it wasn't posted yet when I got on...at least an hour went by between when I got the email and posted, people must have been off their game that day!

bread's done
Back