Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly question, but where are people finding the Amazon GCs at Best Buy? It was extremely busy today, and I could barely get around. Finally did until I found an employee who wasn't busy, but said they didn't carry them.

Ah, thanks a ton jacknicklson. Guess I might as well go back tonight and get one. I planned on trading Alan Wake ($15.00 gift card) plus a few others anyway.

Worked. Was a very interesting experience. Got my fingerprint scanned & got asked a bunch of questions, even the girl ringing me up thought it was overkill. Since this is a new thing at many Best Buy's it took like 15+ mins for the whole transaction. Took in 3 XBOX New Vegas and walked out with a $75 gift card. Not bad. Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I just wish I would have traded in Homefront the other day when it was still like $36.

OK, so let me get this straight: Assuming I'm able to get a $75 GC from trading in 3 copies of FO:NV, is it really not against the rules of GC usage to turn around and buy some Amazon GCs using a BB GC, and I wouldn't pay anything if I got $75 in Amazon GCs? I still find it hard to believe that any store could let you use a gift card to buy other gift cards... :???:

[quote name='Vigilante']OK, so let me get this straight: Assuming I'm able to get a $75 GC from trading in 3 copies of FO:NV, is it really not against the rules of GC usage to turn around and buy some Amazon GCs using a BB GC, and I wouldn't pay anything if I got $75 in Amazon GCs? I still find it hard to believe that any store could let you use a gift card to buy other gift cards... :???:[/QUOTE]

You better believe it's against the rules, the gift card police will stop you in your tracks and put you in a chinese finger trap post haste. You better watch out young man.

Technically they are sold as Kindle cards, similar to the way iTunes cards are sold by BB. What BB probably doesn't realize is that Amazon treats Kindle cards like any other amazon giftcard. I doubt BB will catch on very fast and even if they do, it's not like BB is losing money since you still pay full price for the Kindle card. It's just a better deal for our credit because Amazon has better deals.

well guess i didnt have to worry after all gs clerk didnt care at all that i got 3 copies of new vegas and same with the best buy clerk

man i love converting credit to amazon gcs especially when its extremely convenient since the gs and best buy nearby me are right next to each other

did 9 copies of FO:NV at 2 stores (wife did 1 set of 3) no problems at all. bet the tiv is gonna drop to $1 or something tomorrow. had no problems finding FO:NV complete at all. could of bought 6 at one store but felt weird enough buying 3 at a time.

damn everyone talking bout getting more than 3 makes me want to go back to another gs with a nearby best buy and trade in there too

course i am slightly paranoid i'll be flagged for trading in so much

[quote name='etcrane']Technically they are sold as Kindle cards, similar to the way iTunes cards are sold by BB. What BB probably doesn't realize is that Amazon treats Kindle cards like any other amazon giftcard. I doubt BB will catch on very fast and even if they do, it's not like BB is losing money since you still pay full price for the Kindle card. It's just a better deal for our credit because Amazon has better deals.[/QUOTE]

they're not losing money but the reason they're also not making what they would if they kept it at a BB gift card either. (penny guides and clearance items aside.)

It's great for us. Not so great for BB. So I assume they'll cut it out too.

By the way, did you guys know you actually can get a check instead of the BB gift card? But it's like 1/3 less.

[quote name='Vigilante']OK, so let me get this straight: Assuming I'm able to get a $75 GC from trading in 3 copies of FO:NV, is it really not against the rules of GC usage to turn around and buy some Amazon GCs using a BB GC, and I wouldn't pay anything if I got $75 in Amazon GCs? I still find it hard to believe that any store could let you use a gift card to buy other gift cards... :???:[/QUOTE]

Best Buy makes a cut on the amazon card sale, and while not big, given it involves zero inventory capital cost, has no depreciation risk, can't be shoplifted or damaged, and has minimal overhead/floor space/labor costs, it is likely not to far from what they would make off selling you a game. Sure, BB would like you use that gift card to buy, oh some $70 HDMI cable that a has a margin of 700%...but they aren't losing on the gift card sale....now what are they going to do with all these copies of fallout new vegas, that may be another issue.

Force Unleashed 2 for Wii works if you guys can't find FNV for $16 pre-tax at your local GS. Some of you already knew this, but just spelling it out for anyone who wasn't aware.

[quote name='confoosious']they're not losing money but the reason they're also not making what they would if they kept it at a BB gift card either. (penny guides and clearance items aside.)

It's great for us. Not so great for BB. So I assume they'll cut it out too.

By the way, did you guys know you actually can get a check instead of the BB gift card? But it's like 1/3 less.[/QUOTE]

The customer service girl asked me if I wanted a $50 gift card or a $32 check by mail. Kinda makes the flip pointless.

[quote name='elessar123']The customer service girl asked me if I wanted a $50 gift card or a $32 check by mail. Kinda makes the flip pointless.[/QUOTE]

Not really. $32 means you've made back all but $2-4 on the purchase + kept a copy of a game. And if you decide to trade that one in, you've made back most of your out of pocket costs that you won't get back by getting a best buy gc. The way I see it is the $3(after getting the $32check) will get me $25 giftcard on the 3rd game (that is 800%+ profit), or $16 check(500%+ profit).

Whereas the $50giftcard will net me about a 200% profit(each copy average cost comes down to $12), so that is a 100%+ profit/ea, 300% if i trade in the 3rd one also.

This is strictly speaking out of pocket expenses.

[quote name='karyadi']when you got it at gamestop did it come with the case too and did you need the case for best buy?[/QUOTE]
You need the original case/artwork/manual for each game you trade into BB and they have to be in good shape. They're pickier than Gamestop from what I've seen thankfully.:D

[quote name='nas6034']Not really. $32 means you've made back all but $2-4 on the purchase + kept a copy of a game. And if you decide to trade that one in, you've made back most of your out of pocket costs that you won't get back by getting a best buy gc. The way I see it is the $3(after getting the $32check) will get me $25 giftcard on the 3rd game (that is 800%+ profit), or $16 check(500%+ profit).

Whereas the $50giftcard will net me about a 200% profit(each copy average cost comes down to $12), so that is a 100%+ profit/ea, 300% if i trade in the 3rd one also.

This is strictly speaking out of pocket expenses.[/QUOTE]

this is the most ass backward calculation i've ever heard.

unless you have nothing to buy at amazon, the $50 GC is absolutely the best way to go. And who the hell doesn't have something to buy at amazon?

[quote name='etcrane']Force Unleashed 2 for Wii works if you guys can't find FNV for $16 pre-tax at your local GS. Some of you already knew this, but just spelling it out for anyone who wasn't aware.[/QUOTE]*raises hand* I wasn't aware. :lol: Thanks for the info--this is a perfect back-up plan if I can't find enough copies of FO:NV tomorrow, and it's less likely that BB will lower the TIV for FU2 (what an awesome acronym :roll:) given all of the FO:NVs being traded in.

[quote name='confoosious']this is the most ass backward calculation i've ever heard.

unless you have nothing to buy at amazon, the $50 GC is absolutely the best way to go. And who the hell doesn't have something to buy at amazon?[/QUOTE]
Indeed :D Amazon Ftw. I have $480 worth of GCs for them lol (just got 'em obviously as they still haven't been spent yet ;)).
Also any idea when this thing will end. I was planning on doing this tomorrow.

[quote name='confoosious']hmmm seems a lot of games dropped to $25.

Can anyone find a game over $25 at this point?[/QUOTE]

wow

Just yesterday I traded in bulletstorm for 33 and Dragon age 2 for 38 both for ps3, so glad I did this yesterday.

[quote name='dmdragon']wow

Just yesterday I traded in bulletstorm for 33 and Dragon age 2 for 38 both for ps3, so glad I did this yesterday.[/QUOTE]

i went to trade in Fight Night Champion and i had just checked last night at 37 and it was 25 today. I'm sending to amazon instead.

[quote name='dmdragon']wow

Just yesterday I traded in bulletstorm for 33 and Dragon age 2 for 38 both for ps3, so glad I did this yesterday.[/QUOTE]

same here good thing i got rid of tiger woods pga tour 12 for $37 yesterday

I tried to trade in 2 PS3 and 1 360 New Vegas and the Best Buy clerk would only take one of each. I thought it was 3 of each title for each platform. Can someone shed some light onto this for me? Plus, does anybody know if trading in store count towards the online trade in limit? Thanks!

Limit: We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

Right off the bb web site. Have them pull up the site or print it out.

Flipped 15 copies of new vegas for $375 worth of BB giftcards. Did 6 at 2 different stores and 3 at another. Still have 3 copies left to flip, will hit up 4 or 5 more gamestop stores and flip them at 3 other bestbuys I haven't been to. Store clerks that helped me didn't ask why I had so many copies of the same game lol.

Was there 4 hours ago and traded in 3 copies of NV. At first he said it was only one, but then I started to say something then he saw it on the website.

[quote name='blingbling123']Flipped 15 copies of new vegas for $375 worth of BB giftcards. Did 6 at 2 different stores and 3 at another. Still have 3 copies left to flip, will hit up 4 or 5 more gamestop stores and flip them at 3 other bestbuys I haven't been to. Store clerks that helped me didn't ask why I had so many copies of the same game lol.[/QUOTE]

How did you trade in more than 3 copies for each system? You have multiple ID's your using?

Am I the only one who finds it HILARIOUS how no one is ripping on people for flipping in this thread? In afct, it's almost being encouraged? If there was any other deal that was being flipped, people would be flipping out (pun intended) because flippers kill deals, blah de blah blah...

[quote name='Ultragamer']How did you trade in more than 3 copies for each system? You have multiple ID's your using?[/QUOTE]

It was a mix of 360 and ps3 copies, I don't know if it was 3 of one system and 3 of another, but the clerks really didn't see to care. I guess I got lucky. Really though, don't worry too much much about the policy. Every store and clerk will be different, you just get lucky sometimes, and sometimes you don't. The 3rd store I went to said I could only trade in 3 of the same title, so that left me the 3 copies I still have left to trade in. I got lucky as hell too that all those copies had both the case and manual and were in good enough condition to trade in.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Am I the only one who finds it HILARIOUS how no one is ripping on people for flipping in this thread? In afct, it's almost being encouraged? If there was any other deal that was being flipped, people would be flipping out (pun intended) because flippers kill deals, blah de blah blah...[/QUOTE]

I considered it but if he flipped 15, he is either really sad or lying. Or possibly he lives in a state that doesn't require ID for trades at Best Buy? (my best buy requires ID but GS doesn't.)

I've lost the desire to rip flippers. I realize you're like roaches and ripping idiots won't make them go away. Although I really liked the days when mods would ban people who wouldn't shut up about flipping 20 copies.

[quote name='iluvmywife']Anybody have luck with trading in a Halo Reach copy from the Legenday edition?

My local store would not take it?????[/QUOTE]

it's a different UPC from the one in their database. Unless you can talk them into looking up by name, they won't take it.

[quote name='confoosious']I considered it but if he flipped 15, he is either really sad or lying. Or possibly he lives in a state that doesn't require ID for trades at Best Buy? (my best buy requires ID but GS doesn't.)

I've lost the desire to rip flippers. I realize you're like roaches and ripping idiots won't make them go away. Although I really liked the days when mods would ban people who wouldn't shut up about ripping 20 copies.

it's a different UPC from the one in their database. Unless you can talk them into looking up by name, they won't take it.[/QUOTE]

It's just hilarious to me how 2 threads down, a guy is getting ripped on for buying 5 copies of FO:NV CE to resell. While we have tons of people in here trading multiples and no seems to care

15 copies isn't that hard if you have friends, or use a different phone number for each BB. (should work fine, but I haven't tried it)

Each BB you can trade in 3 360 copies and 3 PS3 copies.

[quote name='dabamus']15 copies isn't that hard if you have friends, or use a different phone number for each BB. (should work fine, but I haven't tried it)

Each BB you can trade in 3 360 copies and 3 PS3 copies.[/QUOTE]

This dude has 3 IDs or 2 friends? Doubtful.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']It's just hilarious to me how 2 threads down, a guy is getting ripped on for buying 5 copies of FO:NV CE to resell. While we have tons of people in here trading multiples and no seems to care[/QUOTE]

hes just a lost soul. no change of bringing him back :cry:

[quote name='confoosious']I considered it but if he flipped 15, he is either really sad or lying. Or possibly he lives in a state that doesn't require ID for trades at Best Buy? (my best buy requires ID but GS doesn't.)

I've lost the desire to rip flippers. I realize you're like roaches and ripping idiots won't make them go away. Although I really liked the days when mods would ban people who wouldn't shut up about flipping 20 copies.

it's a different UPC from the one in their database. Unless you can talk them into looking up by name, they won't take it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I guess I am a roach when I want to take advantage of a good deal when I see one. You're telling me you if you had the chance to spend $200 and come out with $400, you would stop and think that about how it would ruin it(I'don't know what) for others? For one, I am not even bragging, I am just stating how I took advantage of this deal. Are you mad that you couldn't find enough copies to flip yourself? I don't understand why you're upset, my actions didn't hurt you in anyway.

[quote name='blingbling123'] I don't understand why you're upset, my actions didn't hurt you in anyway.[/QUOTE]

When Best Buy has a 1 game per platform limit, who do you think will be to blame?

[quote name='confoosious']This dude has 3 IDs or 2 friends? Doubtful.[/QUOTE]
Like I said earlier, I went to a total of 3 BBs. Traded in 6 at 2 different stores and 3 at another. I used ONLY MY state ID. Each best buy has their own limit apparently, so like that one poster said, 3 xbox copies/3 ps3 copies at 1 location, 3xbox/3 ps3 copies at another, and 3 more at the 3rd BB.

[quote name='blingbling123']Like I said earlier, I went to a total of 3 BBs. Traded in 6 at 2 different stores and 3 at another. I used ONLY MY state ID. Each best buy has their own limit apparently, so like that one poster said, 3 xbox copies/3 ps3 copies at 1 location, 3xbox/3 ps3 copies at another, and 3 more at the 3rd BB.[/QUOTE]

and when you did this, did it ever cross your mind "hey you know what? I'm kind of a loser." or at the very least "I shouldn't brag about this on CAG."

Remember back when BB had those coupons that ended up making games free? Remember those scumbags that abused the shit out of it so blatantly that they no longer have decent coupons/or ones that make the games free? Yeah those were the days weren't they...

Guess those scumbags found something else to fuck up for everyone else now. Gotta love it.

[quote name='confoosious']When Best Buy has a 1 game per platform limit, who do you think will be to blame?[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess everyone else who is capitalizing on this as well. If I don't do it, other people will do it for me. It's not my fault Bestbuy set the trade-in rate/policy the way they did.

[quote name='blingbling123']Well, I guess everyone else who is capitalizing on this as well. If I don't do it, other people will do it for me. It's not my fault Bestbuy set the trade-in rate/policy the way they did.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the "someone else woulda done it" defense. Because you know, everything is acceptable as long as someone else woulda done it. :roll:

[quote name='blingbling123']Well, I guess everyone else who is capitalizing on this as well. If I don't do it, other people will do it for me. It's not my fault Bestbuy set the trade-in rate/policy the way they did. I'm a scumbag that abuses the system and screws shit up for everyone else. [/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Am I the only one who finds it HILARIOUS how no one is ripping on people for flipping in this thread?[/QUOTE]
Happy now? :D

[quote name='Spyder187']Remember back when BB had those coupons that ended up making games free? Remember those scumbags that abused the shit out of it so blatantly that they no longer have decent coupons/or ones that make the games free? Yeah those were the days weren't they...

Guess those scumbags found something else to fuck up for everyone else now. Gotta love it.[/QUOTE]
Like I said, if someone goes "hey here's $400, you only need to give me $200 in return". You're gonna stop and say "nah, I will screw up deals for others in the future". Yeaaaaahhhh, suuuurrrre. I am not an ass, but I am supposed to stop abusing a good deal so I can look out for others? If gamestop decides to sell me all their copies of new vegas and bestbuy decides to buy them all, I am supposed to stop what I am doing and say, "Hey I need to stop doing this so the people who are calling me a scumbag can be happy also". Sorry I guess I am a scumbag for not thinking of your wellbeing.

[quote name='dino88']Happy now? :D[/QUOTE]
I'm just waiting for the mass cleaning that'll likely take place any minute now, since you KNOW it's coming.

People have to realize that people are gonna wanna brag about getting a good deal and/or making a lil scratch on it and there are always gonna be people who are going to have ZERO of these deal items in their area and/or HAVE to say their piece on how it's 'wrong' to profit from a deal.

If both sides would just talk normally and not get so jealous/uppity at the other side then these flame wars wouldn't be a regular occurence on here.

why do you assume it's jealousy? Like oooooh I'm so jealous I can't figure out how to buy from one store and trade in to another 18 times?

if no one bragged about flipping, would there be flame wars about it? It's only when someone starts with it that people get upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back