Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do I go on another gaming binge so I can trade them in and take advantage of the 40% bonus? I played sooo many games in such a short time frame last time...

[quote name='gldoorii']Some of the games I want to trade in don't have manuals. Does Best Buy deduct for this?[/QUOTE]

Nope. They even take just discs only

Hi guys, I have a question...I've never preordered a game at Best Buy before. How does it work in terms of payment? Do you have to put any money down when you preorder? If so, will you get fully refunded if you found a better pre-order deal?

Thanks

[quote name='guitarguy']So the wiki says it but all BB'a carry amazon GC? I'd like to use BB gc to buy amz gc[/QUOTE]

Although this is true, there are four states that Amazon is not allowed to sell any form of giftcard in due to tax reasons. Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, and Louisiana all are not allowed to carry them at any location in their state.

(I live in Illinois and ended with $400+ credit wishing to flip to Amazon only to be informed this by the employee and then backed up by Amazon's website.)

[quote name='kevinc23']Thanks guys.. I think I'm gonna trade a disc only to bb... What are the chances of them accepting it?[/QUOTE]

They will take it.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I've been able to buy Kindle gift cards from BB here in South Florida[/QUOTE]

Well I have not been able to anywhere here in Illinois, all of the employees say the same thing.

According to Amazon's site, they are not sold in those four states. How you get them there I do not know but just a word to other CAGs residing in the above stated areas, you may need to just get a VISA giftcard instead and eat the $6 fee.

Curious if the 40% extra trade in works on consoles or only games. I would love to trade in my psp and get the extra trade value to preorder something.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Well I have not been able to anywhere here in Illinois, all of the employees say the same thing.

According to Amazon's site, they are not sold in those four states. How you get them there I do not know but just a word to other CAGs residing in the above stated areas, you may need to just get a VISA giftcard instead and eat the $6 fee.[/QUOTE]

Check this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000465651
There's no Florida in the list here and so maybe that's why.

[quote name='jbz']Traded another game in to BB today. Girl that helped me said this 40% bonus trade in with pre-orders was good until August. She even flipped around the monitor to show me the employee email they got from BB corporate to announce it. I showed her BB's site that said October and she didn't seem surprised. Just shows how inconsistent the communication is with BB and their offers/policy. Cool thing was she asked her manager if I could get the 40% bonus even though I wasn't pre-ordering something because I had pre-ordered in the past. He said no problem and that was it.

She then went on to ask me if I got my reward zone points yet for pre-ordering my 5 for $100 thing. She helped me before, so she remembered I had done this. I said that I thought we don't get anything until we make the actual purchases and then she went on to say that we should get bonus points just for pre-ordering. Is this true? She said she received hers for doing pre-orders and it takes a little while to show up.[/QUOTE]

Called into the best buy today and said that the 40% bonus only applies to pre-ordering madden and not any other game.

Is there a link to the site you are referring?

Florida indeed sells kindle cards. Apparently as of Tuesday THEY TAKE REAL TRADE INS NOW!!! Fuuuuuu, will have to test it this week although the rep said he did it yesterday to take advantage of the 40% so that's awesome

[quote name='Brenex']Florida indeed sells kindle cards. Apparently as of Tuesday THEY TAKE REAL TRADE INS NOW!!! Fuuuuuu, will have to yet it this week although the rep said he did it yesterday to take advantage of the 40% so that's awesome[/QUOTE]

What does this even mean?

[quote name='BrolyB593']Although this is true, there are four states that Amazon is not allowed to sell any form of giftcard in due to tax reasons. Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, and Louisiana all are not allowed to carry them at any location in their state.

(I live in Illinois and ended with $400+ credit wishing to flip to Amazon only to be informed this by the employee and then backed up by Amazon's website.)[/QUOTE]

How far are you from the Indy border? Because I'm not that far and trade in South Suburbs and buy the cards in Highland.

Yes it is going on, lasts until November 14th, go check the website for how it works, link is in the best buy 5/100 thread. Best Buy will only let you put $5 down. All these easily answered by a call to your local best buy, I think I recommended this when you asked stuff about gamestop, local best buy full of ass holes too?

Man, I had an ordeal today. Took in 11 games and it took about 45min to trade-in and get my money. He scanned them all, scanned my pre-order for the +40%, told me the amount I would be getting and then scanned the gift card for me to get. Wouldnt let the amount be scanned on the card. Tried it all again and didnt work.

Called a manager over, he said to clear it out and do it again. Guess what, it didnt work. And remember each time he needs my phone number and drivers license number.

Another manger comes over and thinks he knows the problem. Does it all again and notta. Ugh...

Finally the manager says dont ring them up all at once. First try it works. Did this 2 other times to get my trade-in. So 3 seperate gift cards. And the guys says as many times I wrung in your info, I can do it now by heart.

Still made $70 on what I had spent on the games, but still, jeez.

yeah i had an ordeal the other day, but im friends with everyone so it was no big deal. I walked in with a bag full of games, 2 or 3 copies of the same games for diff systems, lol. they ask me what deals im doing today ;) I told him etc etc he says rock on and tried to check me out, no go cuz it won't put the money on the card, so another worker buddy comes over and starts joke hassling me about im breaking the system, lol. we went to another register @ mobile, then customer service, then geek squad. im sitting on the couch with my baby and i tell him don't worry bout it, but i want to lock in those values + 40% and i dont want to preorder another game when i come back, so he gave me a # and i left. came back yesterday and it all went swimmingly. i bought 3 dissidias for $10 each at their midnite sale, so i traded those in for 18 each. got dead space 2 and nfs hp for b2g1$1 at gohastings for $53.xx, flipped for 75. traded in my dead rising 2 for 18 (got ce from newegg the other day for 20). flipped de blob2 for 21 after buying it from newegg for 16 last week and platting it. good times ;)
got 220, bumped up to 300

[quote name='Velo214']yeah i had an ordeal the other day, but im friends with everyone so it was no big deal. I walked in with a bag full of games, 2 or 3 copies of the same games for diff systems, lol. they ask me what deals im doing today ;) I told him etc etc he says rock on and tried to check me out, no go cuz it won't put the money on the card, so another worker buddy comes over and starts joke hassling me about im breaking the system, lol. we went to another register @ mobile, then customer service, then geek squad. im sitting on the couch with my baby and i tell him don't worry bout it, but i want to lock in those values + 40% and i dont want to preorder another game when i come back, so he gave me a # and i left. came back yesterday and it all went swimmingly. i bought 3 dissidias for $10 each at their midnite sale, so i traded those in for 18 each. got dead space 2 and nfs hp for b2g1$1 at gohastings for $53.xx, flipped for 75. traded in my dead rising 2 for 18 (got ce from newegg the other day for 20). flipped de blob2 for 21 after buying it from newegg for 16 last week and platting it. good times ;)
got 220, bumped up to 300[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! Saving up for the next console or something? Lol

[quote name='Velo214']yeah i had an ordeal the other day, but im friends with everyone so it was no big deal. I walked in with a bag full of games, 2 or 3 copies of the same games for diff systems, lol. they ask me what deals im doing today ;) I told him etc etc he says rock on and tried to check me out, no go cuz it won't put the money on the card, so another worker buddy comes over and starts joke hassling me about im breaking the system, lol. we went to another register @ mobile, then customer service, then geek squad. im sitting on the couch with my baby and i tell him don't worry bout it, but i want to lock in those values + 40% and i dont want to preorder another game when i come back, so he gave me a # and i left. came back yesterday and it all went swimmingly. i bought 3 dissidias for $10 each at their midnite sale, so i traded those in for 18 each. got dead space 2 and nfs hp for b2g1$1 at gohastings for $53.xx, flipped for 75. traded in my dead rising 2 for 18 (got ce from newegg the other day for 20). flipped de blob2 for 21 after buying it from newegg for 16 last week and platting it. good times ;)
got 220, bumped up to 300[/QUOTE]

You're brave. I avoided any possible hassles this weekend because I was taking care of my 8 month old daughter. Have to do it during the week.

Play and Flip:

Portal 2 current on sale at ea store (origin) -$23.99. Free shipping if you buy more than 1. Possible tax
Best Buy TIV before bonus -$23.00

$23.99 x 3 = $71.97 (tax)
TIV ($23.00 x 40%) x 3 = $96.60

So you can play and still make a ~$25 bonus.

went to the best buy on 119th and Metcalf in OP KS today and the store went completely nuts because I had two copies of about 5 games. They thought they were fakes or something and so the radios were abuzz and 3 managers came over to check on things but no one would just ask me about it. They were content to just make me feel like a criminal. Which is fine, I get that it's unusual. It just means that I'll feel more comfortable treating them like I treat gamestop.

[quote name='handsomepete']went to the best buy on 119th and Metcalf in OP KS today and the store went completely nuts because I had two copies of about 5 games. They thought they were fakes or something and so the radios were abuzz and 3 managers came over to check on things but no one would just ask me about it. They were content to just make me feel like a criminal. Which is fine, I get that it's unusual. It just means that I'll feel more comfortable treating them like I treat gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had quite that trouble, but one guy did ask why I was trading in 3 like new copies of a game "worth $30." I was like I got them on clearance for $10. lol

[quote name='ijustw1n']Play and Flip:

Portal 2 current on sale at ea store (origin) -$23.99. Free shipping if you buy more than 1. Possible tax

So you can play and still make a ~$25 bonus.[/QUOTE]

I traded in 3 Portal 2's (360) that I got from Gamestop with a B2G1 Free coupon I had from Powerup Rewards. Spent ~ $69 after tax at GS and got $96.6 at Best Buy, which was turned to Amazon. Good way to flip the GS credit.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I haven't had quite that trouble, but one guy did ask why I was trading in 3 like new copies of a game "worth $30." I was like I got them on clearance for $10. lol[/QUOTE]

I always just say i have multiple systems 3tvs/3sets of consoles.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']can i preorder a game to get the extra 40% and then cancel the preorder and still keep the extra 40%?[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can. I just returned from cancelling my preorder at Best Buy.

haha, i wish i was getting another console. in all seriousness i probly have to buy a drier with my flip money, i know, no fun! lol. im hoping its just a replaceable belt, but idk. gonna open it up later when i get home and tinker with it.

and yeah i just tell them that we have multiconsoles multigames etc.

a funny thing if you cancel a preorder the week the game comes out, they will usually still send you the preorder bonus if it's a code on release day. free codes ;)

I got a question, I noticed that best buy sell those prepaid credit card. How does it work, does it work only at best buy or other stores as well and can I use best buy gift card to paid for it?

[quote name='Xellos2099']I got a question, I noticed that best buy sell those prepaid credit card. How does it work, does it work only at best buy or other stores as well and can I use best buy gift card to paid for it?[/QUOTE]

These are all literally impossible questions that have certainly not been discussed at length in the last 5 or so pages.

And dangit Velo, I was going to scribble down those titles when I got home in case I had time to flip this week. I don't think I will though anyway :)

Been almost a month since I've flipped I think!

[quote name='ijustw1n']Play and Flip:

So you can play and still make a ~$25 bonus.[/QUOTE]

Was a good idea but BB just lowered the TIV to $20. Adding tax to the order, only end up with a net gain of $5.19.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Bulletstorm is a great flip right now Trades in for $16 only costs $16 on amazon.[/QUOTE]

It's showing up for $30+ for me.

Looks like has changed their TIV page and removed the 40% Bonus with any Pre-order, but I didn't think it expired until 10/01/2011 WTF? Edit: Found a way around, did a blank search, then to Trade-in home, then video games.

My Best Buy store in Rockville,MD wouldn't allow me to trade in my 3 games because they claimed there is county/local laws that won't allow to do trade-in unless you have a BB sales recepit(my recepits were from Target.) I told them that their website doesn't mention that. I dealt with 4 differrent people and they all seem clueless to the BB policy and two of them even claimed that 40% extra for trade -in for a pre-order didn't exsist anymore. I call the 1-888-Best-Buy and they told I just need the recepit from any retail store(BB or not). Unforunately for me, Toyrus was going to give me less for my games, so I might go back to BB and ask for a store manager. It seems nobody was in charge last night.

[quote name='flipflop711']My Best Buy store in Rockville,MD wouldn't allow me to trade in my 3 games because they claimed there is county/local laws that won't allow to do trade-in unless you have a BB sales recepit(my recepits were from Target.) I told them that their website doesn't mention that. I dealt with 4 differrent people and they all seem clueless to the BB policy and two of them even claimed that 40% extra for trade -in for a pre-order didn't exsist anymore. I call the 1-888-Best-Buy and they told I just need the recepit from any retail store(BB or not). Unforunately for me, Toyrus was going to give me less for my games, so I might go back to BB and ask for a store manager. It seems nobody was in charge last night.[/QUOTE]

Check the Pawn laws in your area.

[quote name='flipflop711']My Best Buy store in Rockville,MD wouldn't allow me to trade in my 3 games because they claimed there is county/local laws that won't allow to do trade-in unless you have a BB sales recepit(my recepits were from Target.) I told them that their website doesn't mention that. I dealt with 4 differrent people and they all seem clueless to the BB policy and two of them even claimed that 40% extra for trade -in for a pre-order didn't exsist anymore. I call the 1-888-Best-Buy and they told I just need the recepit from any retail store(BB or not). Unforunately for me, Toyrus was going to give me less for my games, so I might go back to BB and ask for a store manager. It seems nobody was in charge last night.[/QUOTE]

They might be right. The BB receipt-required trade-ins is still YMMV. I know the Columbia store accepts trades without receipts, so you could try there. Of course, that might be a drive for you but that is the one I know for sure nearest me that accepts without receipts.

I'd call up the other stores around you before you go though. Rockville probably legitimately requires BB receipts despite what the website says. Have fun calling the stores though. They always seem to put me on hold or transfer me to the games department who also never pick up the phone.

[quote name='imacgod']They might be right. The BB receipt-required trade-ins is still YMMV...Rockville probably legitimately requires BB receipts despite what the website says. Have fun calling the stores though. They always seem to put me on hold or transfer me to the games department who also never pick up the phone.[/QUOTE] Since I'm a cheap ass gamer rookie, what does YMMV mean? And you are correct about being put on hold if you call them. What annoyed me the most about my BB store visit was 1. The 1st guy said yes that he will accept the trade-in with my Target receipts. 2. When I went to the so called "customer service" area, then there were it went to heck, i.e,. hey claimed they couldn't find the 40% deal on the website, BB receipts were required,etc... 4. The 1-888-Best-Buy number said the Rockville store would accept the trade-ins with my Target receipts. 5.The most annoying thing is that I would made "money" on 2 of 3 trade-ins with that 40% vs TOYSrUS .

I tried preordering Otomedius today as my preorder, but it wasn't in the system. Says it came out 7/5. Just ended up preordered a PSVita, which I'll probably cancel.

Heads up to the flippers who do three games on more than one occasion, beat buys systems will automatically notify the police for theft f you trade in over three. I personally can't say if its true, but one of the people I know who work there told me as I was trading in 3x bulletstorm/brink

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Heads up to the flippers who do three games on more than one occasion, beat buys systems will automatically notify the police for theft f you trade in over three. I personally can't say if its true, but one of the people I know who work there told me as I was trading in 3x bulletstorm/brink[/QUOTE]

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Absolutely 100% false. I work at Best Buy, in the Gaming department and this is complete bologna...

[quote name='aznhero913']is the 40% bonus still going on?

Wanted to trade in my SW: TFU 2.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the preorder 40% bonus is still going on. I just did a trade a few minutes ago.

Also, if Best Buy were inviting people to trade up to 3 copies of game, and had a system which was somehow automatically notifying police that a theft had occurred, I'm pretty sure my legal colleagues would agree that Best Buy would be subjecting themselves to some serious legal (civil) liability. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back