Best Game Value 2009

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm curious to the rationale behind people nominating SF4. I liked the game quite a bit but I didn't see the amazing value in it, especially with how they charged a pretty absurd amount for the alternate costumes. The extra mode they added was ok, but was honestly something that should have been in there in the first place.

SF4 collector's edition was a slightly better value but I don't see anyone mentioning that.[/QUOTE]

Easy explanation, I've put more hours into that game than I have in my entire game collection so far and it won't stop until SSFIV. That's why it's the best game value for me, $60 bought me 100+ hours of entertainment.

I'm working on putting the finalists together and I see a lot of people listing Metroid Prime Trilogy and mentioning the $20 price tag.

You should not take sale prices into account when voting on this category!
See the OP:
What game was released in 2009 that was most worthy of its full retail price?

Borderlands for sure. That was the only game this year that made me stay up late for weeks. I would hope that the next box holds the uber gun I'm dreaming about the few hours I slept.

It was a toss up between God of War Collection and Uncharted 2. In the end Uncharted gets my vote. The game is just incredible and for $60 I got my value and time with the game than half of my game collection.

What a year! That you can put together a list of 13 nominees for "best value" (all deserving) and still leave off games that I put upwards of 50 hours into is a testament to the badassery of 2009.

Had to pick Borderlands though. I played the hell out of a lot of games this year but that one destroyed the competition.

Games are expensive. We all know this or we wouldn't be on this site. However, one of the few games that is actually worth paying $60 new is Modern Warfare 2. So, I went with that one based on content and the multiplayer experience. I'm probably one of the few, but I always thought it was hard to justify a $60 price tag on new games. I never bought the whole "they bring you hours of enjoyment so it is like you are paying $5-per hour or whatever." With that being said, I'm approaching the under $1 range an hour to play that game.

But the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection was definitely a close second for me. Great deal and I had a SNES growing up so it was cool to play a lot of classic games from that library.

Since the prices listed are all higher than what most of us paid, I'm going to go with Pinball HOF. Got it for 20 bucks and "dollar for dollar," have enjoyed it more than any other game on the list.

Fallout 3 GOTY easily.. not only is it a lengthy game on its own.. it included 50 dollars worth of DLC for "free". Which in turn made a 40-60 hour game easily into an 80 to 100 hour affair.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I think the best value in my opinion is God of War Collection.[/QUOTE]

I definitely will agree with you on that! The game is HDefied, it gives you a chance to get two platinum trophies, and your getting both these games on one blu-ray disc.

Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition - Best game of 2008 made better with all 5 DLC packs for Fallout 3 regular retail price. 100+ hours of content. Who could ask for more?

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for me. $30 and I get to relive a ton of classics and I get to play some gems I had my eye on when I was a kid.

Sonic's Genesis Collection, I have played that over 100 hours easy. Both Shining Force 1 and 2, and all of the Phantasy Stars!!!

I would have voted for the Genesis Collection if it wasn't effectively the same one they released on the PS2 a year or so earlier.

A lot of the games on there are so similar to one another that it was hard to play for any meaningful amount of time (for me).. I've played through those RPGs once.. I rarely need to do that twice. And there is only so much Sonic or Streets of Rage a person can willingly play.

The best value should have been the $20 version of Risen 360 NTSC-J in Full English that was sold by Play Asia two weeks ago. Not only is it less than half the price of what the US version will cost, but it is available 2 months early!

bread's done
Back