Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The email I got says to drop it off at a UPS store, so I was going to wait until tomorrow to mail it, but I went to print out the shipping label and it says USPS, not UPS. Should I just take it to the post office then?

[quote name='rainking187']The email I got says to drop it off at a UPS store, so I was going to wait until tomorrow to mail it, but I went to print out the shipping label and it says USPS, not UPS. Should I just take it to the post office then?[/QUOTE]

oh yeah. they are defaulted to say UPS store because their main business is old electronics, not video games from CAGS. :)

First time trader. So we mail it via USPS for games from the EZTrade Paypal Site?

The OP says "But the majority believe that you are locked in" Are you always locked in to the values you get when you submit?

Any other weird things to look out for... it sounds like they take the shipping cost off the value of your items after they're received?

"4. You are responsible to pay for the cost of shipping the Item to Dealtree's facilities. Please note: Standard ground shipping costs are included when you accept an estimate and generate a prepaid shipping label"

[quote name='Crazyglitcher']Not too sure...one of the games I got from GS had a "fake cover", persay and they still accepted it.[/QUOTE]

What type of cover was it and what system, did it have UPC?

[quote name='io']
But, yruluis, I can verify that God of War III, in any case, is that way, so no worries... It is so very obviously different looking than every other one I can find.[/QUOTE]
Regarding rippled Blurays, wasn't GoW 3 the only one of those games that was dual layered?

[quote name='J7.']First time trader. So we mail it via USPS for games from the EZTrade Paypal Site?[/QUOTE]
Yes. The prepaid labels they give you should be for USPS.

[quote name='J7.']The OP says "But the majority believe that you are locked in" Are you always locked in to the values you get when you submit?[/QUOTE] The TIV is "locked in" for 30 days from the quote, so you have to get it in to dealtree within 30 days. After that, I believe you'll have to accept the current (lowered?) TIV they give for it or ask to have it shipped back to you (at your cost).

io said that his games were verified for the full amount despite it being verified after 30 days. However, the package made it to dealtree BEFORE the 30 days were up. It's probably better to just be safe and not risk it.

[quote name='J7.']Any other weird things to look out for... it sounds like they take the shipping cost off the value of your items after they're received?

"4. You are responsible to pay for the cost of shipping the Item to Dealtree's facilities. Please note: Standard ground shipping costs are included when you accept an estimate and generate a prepaid shipping label" [/QUOTE]

They pay for the shipping costs, but that paragraph is trying to say that you have to pay for the packaging costs. They pay for the shipping label only.

Thank you major morgan. Do you know what happens if your UPC for your game doesn't match theirs and how strict they are on cover art damage?

wtf, I just noticed that The Beatles Rock Band for the 360 is $8 now, it used to be $20 (spring deal thing). Dammit, I still have an extra left from BBV to trade in. The PS3 and Wii versions still say $20. Anyone know or have any idea whats up with that?

They can adjust those at any time I think it said. Does anyone know how strict they are about cover art damage or what happens if your UPC doesn't match the one on their site? I've been holding off for 6 hours deciding whether to trade these to Gazelle or this, but I'm running out of time.

[quote name='J7.']They can adjust those at any time I think it said. Does anyone know how strict they are about cover art damage or what happens if your UPC doesn't match the one on their site? I've been holding off for 6 hours deciding whether to trade these to Gazelle or this, but I'm running out of time.[/QUOTE]

UPCs have to match or else it will confuse them.

damage on cover art is ok but ymmv.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']wtf, I just noticed that The Beatles Rock Band for the 360 is $8 now, it used to be $20 (spring deal thing). Dammit, I still have an extra left from BBV to trade in. The PS3 and Wii versions still say $20. Anyone know or have any idea whats up with that?[/QUOTE]

Dude, the value for the 360 version dropped on May 1st - you are WAY behind my friend ;). I would expect the values for the other two versions to drop on June 1st, so lock 'em in now of you have 'em! In fact, a lot of the values may change then.

[quote name='confoosious']UPCs have to match or else it will confuse them.

damage on cover art is ok but ymmv.[/QUOTE]

So does that mean I cannot trade-in my LE copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 (different UPC)? or my copy of Splinter Cell Conviction from the bundle (no UPC)?

[quote name='confoosious']UPCs have to match or else it will confuse them.

damage on cover art is ok but ymmv.[/QUOTE]

It's got a small knife slice on it that's all about half inch long. If I send it to them I get $20 or $10 minus that damage. If I send it to Gazelle I get $14 minus or $12 if they consider that damage. What would you do?

[quote name='io']Dude, the value for the 360 version dropped on May 1st - you are WAY behind my friend ;). I would expect the values for the other two versions to drop on June 1st, so lock 'em in now of you have 'em! In fact, a lot of the values may change then.[/QUOTE]

Really?! wtf, I thought they were supposed to be $20 till the end of the spring trade in sale on May 29th.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Really?! wtf, I thought they were supposed to be $20 till the end of the spring trade in sale on May 29th.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, maybe. I thought the first period was till the end of April and they renewed it (with some games off the list) for May. But I dunno for sure - I didn't really pay attention to the Best Buy part of the deal (which is driving the higher than normal $20 and $30 quotes).

I wonder how much slower the shipping will be due to the Memorial Day holiday this weekend or if I should ship out the three SMB's I have already(or wait till I grab another 4 from the other local BB and do one big trade).

Either way, I think I'm dumping both Afrika and MAG as part of that big bulk lot. I just have to lock in the values for MAG/Afrika and get my ass to BB this morning to try for four more SMB's.

Guys I just wanted to say that they aren't strict about UPCs (YMMV). When I sent in a bunch of LBPs at the $30 TIV (months ago ;)) I believe every single UPC was the wrong one (bought a bunch used from GameStop). So while I don't want to make guarantees, I think that as long as you have case/manual/artwork/disc, your game will be accepted

I just sent out two packages about 20 minutes ago, one with 3 Super Monkey Balls in it, the other with 3 more Super Monkey Balls(cleared out both local BB stores of the game:lol::D)as well as my copies of Afrika and MAG for PS3.

Hopefully they're ok with a little dust and a couple surface scratches on Afrika as that was how it was when I picked it up.

As long as they're all verified at the maximum value I'll have $160 in cash via two checks coming in from these two packages.

I should've just linked my checking account and my newly created Paypal account, but maybe next time.

BTW, has anyone else noticed on the EZTradein page that they say to expect payment 7 days from when the games/items are verified?

Im sure its been posted before, but has any one had problems with sending in games with the original artwork/manual but in a generic case?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']BTW, has anyone else noticed on the EZTradein page that they say to expect payment 7 days from when the games/items are verified?[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's how it works...sort of slowly. I've only done eztradein via PP so I cannot tell you how your experience will be with a hard-check. It may be similar to the people getting BB gift cards - expect a month turnaround from the time you dropped off the packages.

My first trade took a week to receive the PP funds after verification and even that was only after I had to email them to get them to send the payment.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Hopefully they're ok with a little dust and a couple surface scratches on Afrika as that was how it was when I picked it up.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about dirt and scratches to the case, it should be fine.

My first trade was a few LBP's and a couple of those cases were really rough. I still received the full credit of $30/copy as a BB giftcard so you should be fine.

As far as the SMB trades, I was avoiding it until I got that giftcard for the first trade, which arrived last week. I went around to a few stores and got 7 copies. The stores around me still had a bunch of copies after I left and the potential to double credit that I had already quadrupled is tempting me to go back;)

[quote name='J7.']It's got a small knife slice on it that's all about half inch long. If I send it to them I get $20 or $10 minus that damage. If I send it to Gazelle I get $14 minus or $12 if they consider that damage. What would you do?[/QUOTE]

Are you a gambling man?

If the slice is under plastic, they might not even notice.

I sent a Civ Rev with a 3 inch long knife slice (stupid sears workers) and put it in a new case. Since the plastic was intact, they just accepted it. This was NorAm and they are more picky than anyone.

Does anyone know how to get the label to print on one page? There is plenty of space left that is unused but it still prints out two pages which is a huge waste.

[quote name='confoosious']Are you a gambling man?

If the slice is under plastic, they might not even notice.

I sent a Civ Rev with a 3 inch long knife slice (stupid sears workers) and put it in a new case. Since the plastic was intact, they just accepted it. This was NorAm and they are more picky than anyone.[/QUOTE]
Well, if the people who run this are the same people who run the Toys R Us trade in (They go to the same address, so I would imagine), they really just ok anything. Cracked games? OK! Wrong version? OK! Disc 1 missing? OK! It odd seeing how much I can get away with before they just don't accept the game.

This might sound stupid..but..I've never used PayPal, but I have an account. I sent in games via the EzTradein, will they send me a check or deposit to Paypal? And if they deposit to Paypal, how do I get the cash?

[quote name='Sashka']This might sound stupid..but..I've never used PayPal, but I have an account. I sent in games via the EzTradein, will they send me a check or deposit to Paypal? And if they deposit to Paypal, how do I get the cash?[/QUOTE]

Did you pick paypal or check if you choose paypal, you can withdraw to your bank account or request a check.

[quote name='rbarba4']If you're talking about dirt and scratches to the case, it should be fine.

My first trade was a few LBP's and a couple of those cases were really rough. I still received the full credit of $30/copy as a BB giftcard so you should be fine.

As far as the SMB trades, I was avoiding it until I got that giftcard for the first trade, which arrived last week. I went around to a few stores and got 7 copies. The stores around me still had a bunch of copies after I left and the potential to double credit that I had already quadrupled is tempting me to go back;)[/QUOTE]
Actually, I was talking about some miniscule surface scratches and dust on the disc itself. Considering I only paid about $10 for it from the local shop when I bought it from them, even if they lower the value and I only break even on it I'll be happy enough.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, I was talking about some miniscule surface scratches and dust on the disc itself. Considering I only paid about $10 for it from the local shop when I bought it from them, even if they lower the value and I only break even on it I'll be happy enough.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha.

I'm still waiting on my second big trade to them, which was a bunch of 360 & Wii games from BBV. Most of those had scratches but were stll playable and three of the cases were sliced along the spine.

They sent me an email that payment was pending for the full trade value on all the games. It could always change but so far so good.

You'll probably be fine.

EDIT: Just checked my email and they did approve everything at full value. That's good news as it gives me a good idea of how forgiving they are on the condition of the disc and cases.

[quote name='nakanenui']
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.[/QUOTE]

You will just have to look through the games.

For the Wii:
Mario everything, Toy Story Mania, Tetsunoku, MPT, Super Monkey Ball, SMG1, etc. were all 25.

I shipped out 2 games on Monday, they received them on Wednesday, and they were verified on Friday. We'll see how long it takes for them to deposit into paypal, but I'm really impressed by their speed so far.

[quote name='hqn101']Did you pick paypal or check if you choose paypal, you can withdraw to your bank account or request a check.[/QUOTE]

I picked paypal...So you are saying they will deposit the money on my paypal account, and then I can request a check or transfer to my bank account?

don't know if someone already mentioned it, but assassin's creed two is worth $25 trade in to best buy. (great if you took advantage of some of the gamestop deals around that game and have a copy or two to get rid of).

[quote name='rudiger94949']don't know if someone already mentioned it, but assassin's creed two is worth $25 trade in to best buy. (great if you took advantage of some of the gamestop deals around that game and have a copy or two to get rid of).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it just went up a few hours ago because I locked it in at $20 this evening! There were a lot of price changes. The last set of deals is over and there is a new set. For the most part things dropped but there were a few increases mentioned earlier (Toy Story Mania, SMB Step & Roll, many Mario games all up to $25 from $20).

The drops were all over the place but it looks like all the $30 games (Dante's Inferno, GoW III, White Knight Chronicles, etc) went to $25 though. A lot of the $20 games dropped to "normal" values (where they are now the same as Amazon/Gazelle/TRU/etc).

[quote name='io']Yeah, it just went up a few hours ago because I locked it in at $20 this evening! There were a lot of price changes. The last set of deals is over and there is a new set. For the most part things dropped but there were a few increases mentioned earlier (Toy Story Mania, SMB Step & Roll, many Mario games all up to $25 from $20).

The drops were all over the place but it looks like all the $30 games (Dante's Inferno, GoW III, White Knight Chronicles, etc) went to $25 though. A lot of the $20 games dropped to "normal" values (where they are now the same as Amazon/Gazelle/TRU/etc).[/QUOTE]

is there a pdf like last time? and how long will this promo lasts? Someone posted link to the promo before it went live on CAG but I can't find it again.

Sonofabitch!!! If anything I figured SMB was gonna DROP to $15 or even lower and NOT go UP.

fuck.:bomb: I just sent out six copies yesterday for $20 a pop too. If it were an extra $1 or a drop I wouldn't care, but dammit that's an extra $30 I missed out on.:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

It's too bad they wouldn't price match the values like BB price matches deals.;)

Hopefully the rumored BOGO coming up on lower priced titles happens again at BBV and soon so I can go grab some copies of TSM and make a killing there.

[quote name='jmman']Of course they raise SMB after I already sent in 20 copies......:applause::bomb:[/QUOTE]

Um I think I read that Dealtree has a limit of 10 per game or is it?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sonofabitch!!! If anything I figured SMB was gonna DROP to $15 or even lower and NOT go UP.

fuck.:bomb: I just sent out six copies yesterday for $20 a pop too. If it were an extra $1 or a drop I wouldn't care, but dammit that's an extra $30 I missed out on.:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

It's too bad they wouldn't price match the values like BB price matches deals.;)

Hopefully the rumored BOGO coming up on lower priced titles happens again at BBV and soon so I can go grab some copies of TSM and make a killing there.[/QUOTE]

Since they are now advertising their trade-ins in their upcoming circular, maybe that is why they bumped up some games to have more people trade in.

[quote name='malalrd']Um I think I read that Dealtree has a limit of 10 per game or is it?[/QUOTE]

My wife has an account and I have an account......:roll:

[quote name='Pookymeister']10 limit? Whoops....[/QUOTE]

I think you can just submit another 10 on a different order

Truthfully guys I have never seen anything explicitly stating a limit of 10 of the same title, but when you get a quote it only lets you do 10 at a time. They might just be figuring that we probably dont have more than 10 of the same game though.......

They just don't know us CAGS......

[quote name='Velo214']doh. would have been nice to get an extra $25. but i guess free money for free money you can only complain so much :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I'm still happy enough to convert the $79 in credit I made from my first trade with them into $120 in cash via a check that I can use anywhere, but what irks me more is that MAG for PS3 also went up $5 and I just locked in the value and sent that out yesterday with another 3 SMB.:cry:

Oh well.

[quote name='polo14player']u guys send them in sealed?? never did this before.[/QUOTE]
No. I opened every last copy of SMB before I sent them out yesterday and I eyeballed the discs to make sure they were mint before sending out.

I also did the same with the two copies of Hot Shots Golf for PS3 that I sent in the prior deal.

bread's done
Back