Bloodborne - The Old Hunters - November 24th, 2015

I love how visceral attacks demolish various bosses. :D Currently, I have gone through four bosses and the first chalice dungeon. However, I am still unsure of whether to commit to a str/tinge or skill/tinge build yet. 

You just have to battle it once. Win or lose, you will be able to level up after. Anyway, I find it cute that the doll reacts to the gestures. :)
Ah, kicked that suckers ass the first time so I just assumed you had to beat it. That is good that you can still make due with losing too.

I didn't know she reacted to the gestures! I will try that tonight!

So.. I put in the code for the Top Hat.. it says it should be near the stump messenger. I do not see anything.

exited game.. still nothing. The game page shows I have it installed, where exactly is it?

and yeah... the game is no cakewalk.

Restored licenses 3-4 times and kept getting an error.

Completely shut PS4 down, got back into game... and it finally shows up.
Did you get it situated? The stump messenger is behind the building. You have to go up the left and spin around the building and they are back there. You find a hat early on in game and for the longest time I didn't even know you could go back there : P

I love how visceral attacks demolish various bosses. :D Currently, I have gone through four bosses and the first chalice dungeon. However, I am still unsure of whether to commit to a str/tinge or skill/tinge build yet.
I think I am pretty much just right behind you. Not sure of the actual count because I do not know if some characters are counted as 'bosses' such as
the hunter with the gatling gun
Either way the last boss I beat was the
Blood-Starved Beast

In terms of weapons I cannot change from the starter 'Heavy.' The axe is freaking AMAZING. Using its charged 2 handed attack wrecks bosses and is perfect to time enemy attacks. See someone charging? Hold R2 and as soon as that glint of light hits, bam you move forward and attack twice. I freaking love it.

I tried the different cleavers and they just feel 'eh' and then I thought I would really like the Sword/Hammer and while design-wise it is so cool to see the transformation the dps seems lower than the Axe because the damage is only slightly higher with a tiny bit better scaling whereas the Axe does a little less damage but hits multiple times and is far faster.

I have the Keg-Opener thing as my secondary primary (sounds weird). It does low damage but is really fast and even extended you still have use of your gun so if there are quick weak enemies I swap to that to take them down and then swap back to my axe. In terms of guns I haven't tried anything other than the starting pistol and the Torch if that counts hah. I love how the shield looks like shit even; I haven't even tried using it, I never really used shields in the older Souls games anyway.

Still undecided about the lack of actual drops. Like someone noted before it makes everything feel more purposeful and distinct but at the same time I like having RNG drops in my RPGs : P

What are you guys all finding as your favorite weapons so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i got it.

It was odd, multiple game restarts, restore license... even created a new character. in the end a PS4 restart is what made it show up.

And yeah I read the instructions telling me to go back there and I was like "go where?" running around back there like I was exploring a secret area or something lol.

I have not beaten the first boss.. still on the hard learning curve of just getting TO him. Have been able to pick up 3 of the 4 pieces of armor though, every time I get enough for the 4th.. the "You Died" screen comes up. Must be a bug... lol

Never played any of the previous games, so its a huge learning curve. 

it took me about 4 hours from starting up the game to beating the first boss. haha. i farmed a little bit now and im at lvl 18 right now. im using the saw cleaver/blunderbuss combo and getting used to timing my gun shot for the brutal attacks.

think im gonna go with a str/tinge build. apparently i read somewhere with high tinge and a gun called the cannon or something you can destroy bosses.

I have not put anything into tinge haha

I am all STR VIT and STAM. I do not use my gun all that much. Should probably start leveling that up though since after 25 my STR stat has seen diminished returns.

I have not put anything into tinge haha

I am all STR VIT and STAM. I do not use my gun all that much. Should probably start leveling that up though since after 25 my STR stat has seen diminished returns.
i mean i put stuff in vitality and stam too. what does the skill one do? i def wont be putting any in arcane cuz right now it just seems useless

i beat cleric beast but every door i go to is closed by a device. i know the second area is kinda like a sewer right? where the hell is it haha

i beat cleric beast but every door i go to is closed by a device. i know the second area is kinda like a sewer right? where the hell is it haha
From the Cleric Beast lamp go back on the bridge and take the first left you can where you drop down. Follow that path to some dogs and then a big staircase down and there is more there.

yeah i got it like 10 minutes after posting. every time i see a new enemy i never fought before i get scared about losing my echoes. hahaha

so should i fortify my original saw cleaver or wait until i get a better weapon? if im just gonna end up changing weapons, i dont wanna waste a ton of those blood stone shard things

What are you guys all finding as your favorite weapons so far?
I decided to go skill/tinge for this run. Anyway, Saw Spear is amazing to me. I love using the transformation combos on enemies and it has great range. Saw Cleaver is the same in design, but minus range and power. It's more suited more towards Str builds though. Anyway, currently using the Rifle Spear as main and Threaded Cane as second primary for mobs only.

yeah i got it like 10 minutes after posting. every time i see a new enemy i never fought before i get scared about losing my echoes. hahaha

so should i fortify my original saw cleaver or wait until i get a better weapon? if im just gonna end up changing weapons, i dont wanna waste a ton of those blood stone shard things
If you really like the Saw Cleaver I say go with it. Bloodstone Shards are very easy to come by so no worries spending them and then deciding to change later on.

Speaking of have you guys gotten variants of the normal weapons? I got one like as I went to bed last night so I cannot remember exactly but in a Chalice Dungeon I got a ____ Saw Spear. The blank being some sort of adjective that made it sound stronger... which I cannot remember.

Take anything you like to +3. There are plenty of shards in the game and they are farmable. You will have to make a decision though with a weapon that you want to take to +4 since twin shards are more rare. You can still farm twin shards, but the drop-rate isn't as good.

yeah since this is my first "souls game" im not sure if the whole "your first weapon will eventually become useless" like in every other game hahaha

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but there aren't any difficulty options are there? I hate to miss out on a great game for such a stupid reason but I ain't got no time for crazy ass difficulty reminding me how much I suck at games. Not sure why I even care really since The Show will own my soul next week.
Just run through the level to get an idea what you are up against. I made the mistake in Demon's souls of moving slow as a turtle. I ended up not finishing the game because I would get so pissed when I would die and lose all of my souls. Or I would craft something that is basically useless and then I find out I have to play through the whole game again to get another stone.

EDIT: I also picked the theif class which was apparently a mistake. There weren't any guides at the time when I first started playing. I'm sure people that are "more hardcore" will talk about "character builds". I normally just play through a game and make the character like me...maybe that is why my characters suck. lol

yeah since this is my first "souls game" im not sure if the whole "your first weapon will eventually become useless" like in every other game hahaha
Hah yeah really you can use whatever weapon through the whole game in any Souls game which is pretty cool. Just a matter of upgrading it.

From what I have gathered of Bloodborne it is like that even more with its more streamlined approach to weapon variety and drops.

so im working my trying to beat this second boss. come to the fireball bridge trap and start running not realizing that there is a drop off. i fall all the way, still have a tiny bit of health left and then the flaming ball drops on my head.  :rofl:  i just had to laugh

Speaking of have you guys gotten variants of the normal weapons? I got one like as I went to bed last night so I cannot remember exactly but in a Chalice Dungeon I got a ____ Saw Spear. The blank being some sort of adjective that made it sound stronger... which I cannot remember.
There are only three versions: normal, uncanny, and lost. So far, the only differences are the location they are found in and the gem imprints on them.

There are only three versions: normal, uncanny, and lost. So far, the only differences are the location they are found in and the gem imprints on them.
Uncanny! That was it. The gems provide massive boosts though so the difference in those could be a big deal.

Train ride home after work is going to feel forever. As with all Souls games I am addicted as soon as I turned it on and I need my fix!

My boss told me the Powers That Be wanted me in a couple hours early Friday for some conference and my first thought was... that is seriously going to cut into my Thursday night Bloodborne play time haha oh man.

I went through pretty much most of the first area killing everything, but couldn't find the boss. Then I got attacked out of nowhere by one random guy and died. I quit playing after that last night, but I really want to start up again. I just don't know if I should bother fighting everything or just try to find the boss. :(

Took me a few tries too, my friend told me about a little shortcut you can unlock to get to him quicker if you died and that helped since you could bypass a lot of enemies.
Yeah with that shortcut from the first lamp there you can basically just run straight from the lamp to the boss and not even interact with the enemies.

That same thing happened to me on a cart! I eventually actually glitched out of it though after a minute. 

I just got my shit rocked by Darkbeast Paal or whatever. I got it to 1/3 health first try but I am not about to try that fight again for a bit! That whole area, when you are brought there and just as an entire place is creepy as shit not to mention those enemies in there are far stronger than anywhere I have been before.

Just finished the second boss. Surprisingly it was a lot easier than the first one and it only took me two tries, although the first time I didn't know it would be a boss fight and didn't have enough bullets/cocktails for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmx97-dVcUs
I had the same experience. I didn't expect the boss fight and yea I agree it was a lot easier. Makes me think that he was suppose to be the first boss haha.

Nice finish on him btw.

what is insight? i have some of it but no idea what it does
It's has two uses. Fist, it is used to summon other people to help you. Costs one insight. Second, it acts as a form of currency in Hunter's Dream to buy special armor and other items there. You need at least 10 insight for the messenger to show up to let you buy items with insight.

You get insight by killing bosses yourself, helping others clear their bosses, or using madman's knoweledge.

It's has two uses. Fist, it is used to summon other people to help you. Costs one insight. Second, it acts as a form of currency in Hunter's Dream to buy special armor and other items there. You need at least 10 insight for the messenger to show up to let you buy items with insight.

You get insight by killing bosses yourself or helping others clear their bosses.
There seems to be other impacts the more insight you have but nobody has figured out what yet.

Your Insight level is shown in the upper right-hand corner of the screen under your Blood Echoes. It indicates the depth of inhuman knowledge you have attained, and you can spend a point to call in other players for help. Pay close attention to your Insight level — things around you may change as it increases… – Kumi Yuasa, SCEA Bloodborne Producer

So is there a way to compare your currently equipped armor with the vendors' or am I blind?
i just memorized the stats lol. then did +/- in my head to see if it was worth buying

also, playing this game and the last game i played (the order 1886) it took me longer to beat the first two bosses in bloodborne, than it did to beat the entire game of the order 1886 lol

Yeah I havent noticed anything myself either really but I am still hoping there are some extra mechanics built in that nobody has figured out yet!
High insight doesn't seem to affect drop rates from what I have noticed. It would have been a nice homage to the black world tendency of Demon's Souls if they did that (tougher enemies, better drop rate). I guess that is the point of the higher difficulty Chalice dungeons. :)

I picked up a CE copy from BB (a preorder) that is up for sale if anyone is interested. For some reason the seal was broken. Checked to see if everything is there and is good to go. Just pay me for what I paid plus shipping and its yours. PM me if interested.

High insight doesn't seem to affect drop rates from what I have noticed. It would have been a nice homage to the black world tendency of Demon's Souls if they did that (tougher enemies, better drop rate). I guess that is the point of the higher difficulty Chalice dungeons. :)
Yeah that is what my buddies and I were speculating that it was at first, more akin to the World Tendencies of Demon's Souls; too bad it is not.

I am not sure how I feel about the Chalice dungeons. They are cool but feel super generic comparatively with the actual game.

Without spoiling anything really, the witches boss battle was surprisingly easy? It got a little tense towards the very end but really it seems like the easiest boss by far at this point.

I managed to take down the DarkBeast Paal before getting off for the night. I bought the weapon that you can buy afterwards and I think I like it more than the Keg one. I also am flirting with Ludwig's Holy Sword; I ended up using it to take down Paal despite it being a lower level than my axe.

Speaking of weapons I haven't really bothered to upgrade my guns past 3 because I feel like you arent really ever using the pistol and what not for damage but moreso just stunning the enemy... at least with how I have been playing.

Speaking of weapons I haven't really bothered to upgrade my guns past 3 because I feel like you arent really ever using the pistol and what not for damage but moreso just stunning the enemy... at least with how I have been playing.
i think every gun is like that with the exception of the cannon. apparently this thing is insanely OP

i think every gun is like that with the exception of the cannon. apparently this thing is insanely OP
Damn, 10 bullets per shot means you only have 2 total!

cannon.gif

the base caps at 25. is there any items that bump it up to hold on your initial game?
It doesnt cap at 25 you can go as high as you want, it is just after 25 the increase in damage is lessened per attribute point. I am at like 28 STR right now myself on my first playthrough.

It doesnt cap at 25 you can go as high as you want, it is just after 25 the increase in damage is lessened per attribute point. I am at like 28 STR right now myself on my first playthrough.
oohhh, i gotcha. well then the cannon could totally be a first play through gun then. my str is like 23 already and about to fight the 3rd boss

Ya, that's a thing, lots of the heavy weapons in Dark Souls required STR higher than the soft cap in order to wield them.

bread's done
Back