Bloodborne - The Old Hunters - November 24th, 2015

oohhh, i gotcha. well then the cannon could totally be a first play through gun then. my str is like 23 already and about to fight the 3rd boss
I meant to be really effective is all. If the damage scales with Tinge then you likely won't have a very high stat in that during your first playthrough if you are peppering in VIT an END as you get your STR to 30. Between VIT, END and STR alone you will be a high level ~50s or so and so while you can wield it, having all three of those high enough AND then a high tinge is not as likely so that is why I was thinking wont be until NG+ until it is really a killer (but of course at that point everything is stronger anyway : P ah the lovely Souls games haha)

Ya, that's a thing, lots of the heavy weapons in Dark Souls required STR higher than the soft cap in order to wield them.
Hah yeah that is why I went over the softcap already assuming that would be the case here as usual : P

I dont know why but whenever i save one of my favorite faces during the creation process, when i go back into the game later its not there anymore. Ive never finalized a character yet, still trying to decide on a look. I really shouldnt be taking this much time on my look but, just found it odd that the saves are not saving. Am i doing something wrong?

I dont know why but whenever i save one of my favorite faces during the creation process, when i go back into the game later its not there anymore. Ive never finalized a character yet, still trying to decide on a look. I really shouldnt be taking this much time on my look but, just found it odd that the saves are not saving. Am i doing something wrong?
All the faces will look like shit, just accept it haha

I first made a female, saved it then went to make a male and just kept it because I was getting bored and wanted to play so I am not sure about the saved faces. I will say you never see your face though haha. All the headgear pretty much blocks it. My thing would make a darker skinned individual because mine is super pale and the bit that does show stands out like crazy in the really dark environment and armor.

Speaking of weapons I haven't really bothered to upgrade my guns past 3 because I feel like you arent really ever using the pistol and what not for damage but moreso just stunning the enemy... at least with how I have been playing.
It's more so for PvP, at least for me. Weapons like the Evelyn, Rifle Spear, and Reiterpallasch do benefit from it. In PvE, it helps a lot when you go against enemies that have high blood defense.

It's more so for PvP, at least for me. Weapons like the Evelyn, Rifle Spear, and Reiterpallasch do benefit from it. In PvE, it helps a lot when you go against enemies that have high blood defense.
I haven't even touched PvP yet myself. I have only helped people out with boss fights. I can see how the guns will have a much larger role in PvP though for sure.

Great, looks like I'm one of the lucky few that glitched to where a key to unlock a boss doesn't appear.   Hopefully its something that gets patched as from what I understand it's an important boss.

Well, there were indirectly PvP trophies in Dark Souls 1 as there were trophies tied to items acquired leveling up in the covenants (some of which were PVP focued), but there were always alternatives that didn't require PvP in order to acquire those items.

Last edited by a moderator:
So there are no pvp trophies? Also are any of the trophies needed to play NG+ to get?
there are no pvp trophies. as for NG+ it depends, if you cloud save before the point of no return you can get all 3 endings in 1 playthrough, if not youll need NG++ to get all 3 endings legit

also ive about had it with this 4th boss. so fucking tired of running to her to fight

there are no pvp trophies. as for NG+ it depends, if you cloud save before the point of no return you can get all 3 endings in 1 playthrough, if not youll need NG++ to get all 3 endings legit

also ive about had it with this 4th boss. so fucking tired of running to her to fight
Which boss are you referring to? You can spoiler it if you need to.

I actually am lost. I have no clue where else to go. Though as I type this I think I have an idea of where I can go but not sure if there is anything there... hmmm...

Chalice Dungeons have no impact on the main story right?

Chalice Dungeons have no impact on the main story right?
Right. I've been finding myself having a lot of fun in those CDs though. High tier runes are so worth it and the bosses are more satisfying to fight than the boring story ones.

Right. I've been finding myself having a lot of fun in those CDs though. High tier runes are so worth it and the bosses are more rewarding to fight than the boring story ones.
I am still not sure how I feel about them. It just feels so recycled and more of a chore to find chests and get to the bosses. Favorite CD boss so far has been the Pthumerian Descendent. Wasn't necessarily a particularly difficult fight but I liked it. My thing so far is that all of the CD bosses I have fought are all pretty much cakewalks with the aforementioned one above being the only one so far that I actually died on.

Great, looks like I'm one of the lucky few that glitched to where a key to unlock a boss doesn't appear. Hopefully its something that gets patched as from what I understand it's an important boss.
Just saw on IGN, they're planning to fix it sometime next week.

vicar amelia
I have helped multiple people kill her already : P

What level are you? I havent even looked at how the summoning ranges are set up for this one but if I can I can easily hop on and help take her out with you.

*edit*

Looks like the online summoning level range hasnt been confirmed but they are just saying assume based on this

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

I believe right now I am like 56 or so? That would mean you would have to be in the 40s

I have helped multiple people kill her already : P

What level are you? I havent even looked at how the summoning ranges are set up for this one but if I can I can easily hop on and help take her out with you.

*edit*

Looks like the online summoning level range hasnt been confirmed but they are just saying assume based on this

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator

I believe right now I am like 56 or so? That would mean you would have to be in the 40s
i dont know if its a glitch or what, but last night i tried to use a summoning bell for help and its greyed out. when i googled, it seems like its a glitch. im level 41 right now. i actually just beat her. i had to completely disregard all the tips and videos i watched (which all stated, stay close and stay behind), but i kept getting decimated and anytime i was behind her, i would start attacking a few times and then end up right in front of her. so what i did was play the long game, wait for her to jump at me, hit her a few times and run. also numbing mist to stop her from healing is clutch. i used all 20 blood vials this fight.

i dont know if its a glitch or what, but last night i tried to use a summoning bell for help and its greyed out. when i googled, it seems like its a glitch. im level 41 right now. i actually just beat her. i had to completely disregard all the tips and videos i watched (which all stated, stay close and stay behind), but i kept getting decimated and anytime i was behind her, i would start attacking a few times and then end up right in front of her. so what i did was play the long game, wait for her to jump at me, hit her a few times and run. also numbing mist to stop her from healing is clutch. i used all 20 blood vials this fight.
Nice, glad you at least got her. You are not going to like DarkBeast Paal once you get to it I have a feeling if you had a hard time with Vicar. It is coming up soon so be sure to let us know your thoughts ; P

And that is odd that you couldn't summon. There are certain areas in which you cannot summon, you have to be in certain summonable locations. That being said I will add you on PSN and if you need help later on just let me know!

Nice, glad you at least got her. You are not going to like DarkBeast Paal once you get to it I have a feeling if you had a hard time with Vicar. It is coming up soon so be sure to let us know your thoughts ; P

And that is odd that you couldn't summon. There are certain areas in which you cannot summon, you have to be in certain summonable locations. That being said I will add you on PSN and if you need help later on just let me know!
yeah ive already seen a video on darkbeast haha. i just had a really hard time juggling getting some hits in and dodging at the right time. id be attacking and id see the attack animation and start spamming O quick but it always seemed like i was either too late, too early, or i just didnt dodge at all.

as for summoning with amelia, apparently you need to do this before you have the ability too: http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/26/bloodborne-cants-cummon-vicar-amelia-cathedral-ward/

also what does the skill attribute do? i know its dexterity but how does that play into combat? do you get up faster from getting knocked down, swing weapon faster, charge faster? ive been using ludwigs sword but im not sure if i should bother with any skill points.

yeah ive already seen a video on darkbeast haha. i just had a really hard time juggling getting some hits in and dodging at the right time. id be attacking and id see the attack animation and start spamming O quick but it always seemed like i was either too late, too early, or i just didnt dodge at all.

as for summoning with amelia, apparently you need to do this before you have the ability too: http://www.vg247.com/2015/03/26/bloodborne-cants-cummon-vicar-amelia-cathedral-ward/

also what does the skill attribute do? i know its dexterity but how does that play into combat? do you get up faster from getting knocked down, swing weapon faster, charge faster? ive been using ludwigs sword but im not sure if i should bother with any skill points.
How is your stamina looking? Forgive me that I just call them VIT and END I forgot what they are technically called in this new game. But yeah are you maintaining your stamina at a healthy level? Sounds like that might be the culprit.

And that is odd about the gate thing. I opened it up right away without question, playing all the Souls games you know if you can buy a key you just buy it as soon as you can. As soon as it was available I just did some quick farming to get it right away and didn't even really acknowledge consciously that I used that key for that gate when I did : P

The Skill attribute to my knowledge is still just like DEX in the old ones where it really is just a different type of STR stat. The only real effect it has is on your ability to hold certain items with set requirements and then the damage you can actually do with those weapons and their scaling.

How is your stamina looking? Forgive me that I just call them VIT and END I forgot what they are technically called in this new game. But yeah are you maintaining your stamina at a healthy level? Sounds like that might be the culprit.

And that is odd about the gate thing. I opened it up right away without question, playing all the Souls games you know if you can buy a key you just buy it as soon as you can. As soon as it was available I just did some quick farming to get it right away and didn't even really acknowledge consciously that I used that key for that gate when I did : P

The Skill attribute to my knowledge is still just like DEX in the old ones where it really is just a different type of STR stat. The only real effect it has is on your ability to hold certain items with set requirements and then the damage you can actually do with those weapons and their scaling.
right now im level 49 with 821 hp

vit 21

end 17

str 25

skill 14

blood 14

arcane 8

also just beat boss 5 (holy shit was she easy! first try, no hits) but i noticed that i cant travel to her lantern or the lantern at the beginning of her section via hunters dream. is this a glitch or intentional?

right now im level 49 with 821 hp

vit 21

end 17

str 25

skill 14

blood 14

arcane 8

also just beat boss 5 (holy shit was she easy! first try, no hits) but i noticed that i cant travel to her lantern or the lantern at the beginning of her section via hunters dream. is this a glitch or intentional?
Yeah I would try to focus on END a bit more. I have like 23 or so and I can easily do 2 heavy charged attacks in a row with the 2 handed axe.

But yeah I am terrible with what boss #s things are since you technically can wander around to different ones but my assumption is that you are looking at the wrong tombstone in Hunters Dream. Going up the stairs, on the right are 4 different tombstones that each show the lamps of their respective areas once you have lit them. I bet they are just on a different one than the first one.

Yeah I would try to focus on END a bit more. I have like 23 or so and I can easily do 2 heavy charged attacks in a row with the 2 handed axe.

But yeah I am terrible with what boss #s things are since you technically can wander around to different ones but my assumption is that you are looking at the wrong tombstone in Hunters Dream. Going up the stairs, on the right are 4 different tombstones that each show the lamps of their respective areas once you have lit them. I bet they are just on a different one than the first one.
its the easy witch one im talking about. good to know about the other tombstones. haha. now i feel dumb.

its the easy witch one im talking about. good to know about the other tombstones. haha. now i feel dumb.
Ah yeah that witch one was crazy easy, I figured that was the one you were talking about.

And no worries I actually didn't notice that at first either. There is one area that... well without spoiling it I will just say you do not take yourself there. And I activated a lamp there but couldn't see it but just assumed since I got there in a less conventional way that was why but then I realized it was just two tombstones up the stairs past the first one : P

Ah yeah that witch one was crazy easy, I figured that was the one you were talking about.

And no worries I actually didn't notice that at first either. There is one area that... well without spoiling it I will just say you do not take yourself there. And I activated a lamp there but couldn't see it but just assumed since I got there in a less conventional way that was why but then I realized it was just two tombstones up the stairs past the first one : P
oh ive already been there LOL. i was at the cathedral lamp and saw a guy and was like "oh i new enemy! lets fight it!" then... yeah... hahahahahaha

Finally beat bsb today. I couldnt get anyone to join my game online, ended up just summoning albert and got it done. Think im gunna spend some time helping others beat this butthole. Do i need to beat the chalice dungeon now, or am i missing something?

Finally beat bsb today. I couldnt get anyone to join my game online, ended up just summoning albert and got it done. Think im gunna spend some time helping others beat this butthole. Do i need to beat the chalice dungeon now, or am i missing something?
beat the chalice dungeon for what? who is albert and how do you summon him? with the bell?

BSB actually isnt that bad imo. just blunderbuss parrying him constantly and have antidotes. second easiest boss ive faced so far

beat the chalice dungeon for what? who is albert and how do you summon him? with the bell?

BSB actually isnt that bad imo. just blunderbuss parrying him constantly and have antidotes. second easiest boss ive faced so far
Albert is an npc you meet in the cathedral district, if u agree to work together with him he helped me with cleric beast and bsb. U use the beckoning bell by the stairs before bsb (theres a glowing message that said something like if your stuck ring your bell.) im just not sure where to go after bsb, it gave me the chalice so ive been working on te chalice dungeon cuz i didnt know whereelse to go.

I loved Lords of the Fallen, and that was my first attempt at a "souls" type game.  Debating whether or not I should give Bloodborne a shot, or wait until the Remaster of Dark Souls 2 hits PS4.

Any suggestion on what would be more user-friendly/easy on a newer person to the genre?  

Bloodborne to me has been a tad bit more brutal as they have done away with the shield mechanic that was in the souls games. But I like Bloodborne more since I hardly ever carried a shield in the Souls games. I never liked the feel of the dark souls games to be honest they never clicked or had me hooked like Demon's Souls did so on personal preference I would say get Bloodborne.  

You referenced LOTF which I think Dark Souls is more comparable to so if you can wait the extra month get that. 

Just hit Vicar Amelia's door. Noped out and went straight for Hemwick.

Still can't decide what to do with my stats, and what level to stop at. I know I'm gonna go to 30 str for the Cannon, and likely hit the 25 soft cap for Skill. But I'm not too sure if I even need that many points into Endurance or Vitality. My Hammer and Whip seem to be doing me quite well so far, and I'm getting pretty good at evasion and counter hits.

And bloodtinge seems useless outside of hitting requirements for certain guns

I loved Lords of the Fallen, and that was my first attempt at a "souls" type game. Debating whether or not I should give Bloodborne a shot, or wait until the Remaster of Dark Souls 2 hits PS4.

Any suggestion on what would be more user-friendly/easy on a newer person to the genre?
Dark Souls 2 is arguably the easiest of the 4 games so I would say if you are really hesitant nab the remaster but honestly if you loved Lords of the Fallen I cannot imagine you not absolutely loving all of these games.

Got pretty far tonight. Went into work early and so I peaced out earlier than normal and so I have spent pretty much all night playing. I am at like 63 or so right now I think. Has anyone found a way to reallocate stats?

Just hit Vicar Amelia's door. Noped out and went straight for Hemwick.

Still can't decide what to do with my stats, and what level to stop at. I know I'm gonna go to 30 str for the Cannon, and likely hit the 25 soft cap for Skill. But I'm not too sure if I even need that many points into Endurance or Vitality. My Hammer and Whip seem to be doing me quite well so far, and I'm getting pretty good at evasion and counter hits.

And bloodtinge seems useless outside of hitting requirements for certain guns
hemwick has the easeist boss in the game. killed it first try without getting it.

you absolutely need vit and end. those are key for getting attacks in while still having stamina to dodge away. i havent really put anything in arcane or skill. all vit, end, str and some tinge

as for reallocating stats, i dont think there is an option for that.

Dark Souls 2 is arguably the easiest of the 4 games so I would say if you are really hesitant nab the remaster but honestly if you loved Lords of the Fallen I cannot imagine you not absolutely loving all of these games.

Got pretty far tonight. Went into work early and so I peaced out earlier than normal and so I have spent pretty much all night playing. I am at like 63 or so right now I think. Has anyone found a way to reallocate stats?
Thanks for the feedback. I've been intrigued by the games for a while. I jumped at Lords of the Fallen since it was supposedly "Dark Souls Lite." Bloodborne looks pretty interesting, just not sure if it's too fast paced, and I relied heavily on a shield. I was interested in Dark Souls 2, but was scared off after seeing the "lose part of our health each time you die" mechanic.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been intrigued by the games for a while. I jumped at Lords of the Fallen since it was supposedly "Dark Souls Lite." Bloodborne looks pretty interesting, just not sure if it's too fast paced, and I relied heavily on a shield. I was interested in Dark Souls 2, but was scared off after seeing the "lose part of our health each time you die" mechanic.
That mechanic really isnt that bad in practice. There is an item you get, fairly early on if I recall correctly, that stunts the max health loss at like 75% or so. Also Dark Souls 2 had the most amount of checkpoints available. In Demons Souls and Dark Souls and now Bloodborne you are really aching to find the next checkpoint/lamp/bonfire and it really adds to the tension. Since they were more in abundance in Dark Souls 2 that extra risk is not nearly as bad.

That all being said Lords of the Fallen almost forces you to use a shield more I felt like. I never really used a shield in either Dark Souls games other than on my back for a passive stamina regen boost but I did find myself using a shield more often than I would have like in Lords of the Fallen. Bloodborne though does add to that intense tension because you cannot walk around a corner with your shield up and then react, you need to either barge in or go slow either way your reaction has to be pretty quick.

Realistically just wait for Dark Souls 2 but if you have the money you might as well test the waters and experience this amazing game in the meantime as you wait for that release : P

as for reallocating stats, i dont think there is an option for that.
There was a work around in Demons Souls to Soulsuck to be able reallocate and then I am spacing if Dark Souls you could but then in Dark Souls 2 you could.

I was just banking on the fact that you could reallocate but really not like it matters all that much. First playthrough is just to figure out what kind of build I want to use for the next one! : P

Thinking of picking this up. Liked Demon's Souls, didn't play the "Dark" games. I head players can control difficulty to a certain degree by keeping Insight at 14 or lower for easier enemies, and 15 or high for harder/more aggressive enemies.

Thinking of picking this up. Liked Demon's Souls, didn't play the "Dark" games. I head players can control difficulty to a certain degree by keeping Insight at 14 or lower for easier enemies, and 15 or high for harder/more aggressive enemies.
It's definitely more accessible than the Souls games. It's still hard though and if you liked Demon's Souls than I think you'll love Bloodborne and I would recommend checking the Dark Souls 2 remaster (I personally never played 2 so I am stoked about the next-gen release). I thought Dark Souls was much better than Demon's Souls.

Dark Souls 2 I would agree is the most accessible, equip burden for fast roll isn't so burdensome, the ability to re-roll your stats, fast travel to every checkpoint, etc. The story is also only connected to a few places (and only if you dig really deep into the item descriptions) so there is no harm in playing them out of order. Most of the story connections are related to Dark Souls 1 DLC. There is a really easy way to farm for human effigies (it reverses any loss of HP due to dying) as long as you have enough bonfire ascetics.

Also, if you hadn't yet picked it up, CE of Bloodborne is in stock at amazon, I know there was someone in the thread that missed out on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Collectors-PlayStation-4/dp/B00NOBX1OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427561993&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodborne

Knocked out those three Yarnham bosses first try. Wasn't too bad but the area ahead's enemies are a pain in the butt. Wandered around long enough and found the Canon. Haven't used it yet but it looks badass on your arm and even just on your back. Since I have such low Bloodtinge even maxed I probably won't do much damage. 

Is it bad that i am level 22 and cant beat the first boss? I got him down to like 20% health after using 20 health vigors. But in the end he got me. Whenever i try to get close he hits me, whenever he looks able to take a shot at him im not close enough to make contact. Im using the Saw Cleaver, upgraded it i think twice. So even though i kind of like the whip, it doesnt do nearly as much damage as the cleaver does.

Right now i feel like all i can do is keep killing the same tired old enemies getting echoes to level up more, but i think i should be able to beat bosses by now. And if i can get deeper into the game, leveling up isnt going to save me. Pretty sure i explored all that i can without actually beating a boss, so its getting boring, and seems like there is nothing to do since i cant beat a boss. Now it just feels like a grind.

Also, is it just me or does some of the "view specter" never show any ghost. Not all the time, but id say its 50/50 it does or doesnt show me.

Is it bad that i am level 22 and cant beat the first boss? I got him down to like 20% health after using 20 health vigors. But in the end he got me. Whenever i try to get close he hits me, whenever he looks able to take a shot at him im not close enough to make contact. Im using the Saw Cleaver, upgraded it i think twice. So even though i kind of like the whip, it doesnt do nearly as much damage as the cleaver does.

Right now i feel like all i can do is keep killing the same tired old enemies getting echoes to level up more, but i think i should be able to beat bosses by now. And if i can get deeper into the game, leveling up isnt going to save me. Pretty sure i explored all that i can without actually beating a boss, so its getting boring, and seems like there is nothing to do since i cant beat a boss. Now it just feels like a grind.

Also, is it just me or does some of the "view specter" never show any ghost. Not all the time, but id say its 50/50 it does or doesnt show me.
Go back and get the bell to summon someone. I had no issues with the beast and the cleaver in 2H mode. Used one vigor due to a side swipe. Stay close and behind.

Go back and get the bell to summon someone. I had no issues with the beast and the cleaver in 2H mode. Used one vigor due to a side swipe. Stay close and behind.
After failing 3-4 times i stayed really close and by his ass, and it was a piece of cake. I cant believe how easy it was compared to my other attempts. I actually had 14 health veils left, compared to my other attempts of using all 20 and still dying. Guess i need to stop trying to kill everything from a distance so much. also killed the 2nd boss.

After failing 3-4 times i stayed really close and by his ass, and it was a piece of cake. I cant believe how easy it was compared to my other attempts. I actually had 14 health veils left, compared to my other attempts of using all 20 and still dying. Guess i need to stop trying to kill everything from a distance so much. also killed the 2nd boss.
basically how the game goes. if you go about a boss wrong, youre going to get your ass raped. period. for the 3rd boss, blood starved beast, i advise getting good with gun parrying.

broly, i had a problem with those three bosses mainly because of the weapon i was using (ludwigs sword). i switched to the hunters ax (which probably has the best r2 charge in the entire game) and was able to beat them. the hunters ax is now i my boss fight weapon. lol

bread's done
Back