Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

[quote name='BasketCase1080']anyone here get the pirates trilogy and can inform me if its 6 discs in 1 case, or just a box around the individual movies/cases?[/QUOTE]

Its a slip cover (like Oceans Trilogy, Matrix) that houses the 3 POTC movies. They are standard retail copies that may or may not come with their slipcovers.

Just imagine Disney picking a copy of each film off the shelf and shoving them into a rather ugly box.

[quote name='D_Icon']Is Speed Racer the best looking HD movie?[/quote]

I watched it last night. It was awesome looking. The colors were amazing. As for the best looking HD movie, I dont think their will ever be such a thing. Speed Racer definitely went from a rent to a buy though after I saw it. Very impressive.

[quote name='seanr1221']Gizmo, and word at all on Fight Club?[/QUOTE]

No idea. I wish...I still have my original 2 disc DVD

[quote name='genfuyung']I cant believe scarface isnt a priority title. Id love to see boondock saints but thats probably a long shot.[/QUOTE]

It never was on DVD either. Took a long time for it to show up. Releasing it with the "gangster" collection made sense, but Universal is focusing on getting Day and Dates out and their previous HD DVD library. 8 Mile is their first new catalog title since Fletch on HD DVD!

Gizmo isn't some type of crazy insider...Gladiator has been in the works for awhile now back on HD-DVD. I imagine that porting it over to Blu-Ray would be a high priority as soon as they rerelease most of the HD-DVD only hits.

[quote name='Sporadic']Gizmo isn't some type of crazy insider...Gladiator has been in the works for awhile now back on HD-DVD. I imagine that porting it over to Blu-Ray would be a high priority as soon as they rerelease most of the HD-DVD only hits.[/quote]

I really don't remember anyone referring to him as such. Still, he is full of very useful information. Considering that there is no concrete information about a potential BD release of Gladiator, anything anyone can share about it is nice.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I really don't remember anyone referring to him as such. Still, he is full of very useful information. Considering that there is no concrete information about a potential BD release of Gladiator, anything anyone can share about it is nice.[/quote]

It's kinda a given that it's coming though, Amazon's had a placeholder page for it for a while now

I'm looking forward to 9/30, but I'm a bit bummed (and not suprised) to hear that Dawn of the Dead is the one that's censored near the beginning (where there's a chick walking around and it shows blood instead of boob). I'm also pretty pissed to find out that the "From the director of 300!" is on the actual art and is not a sticker on the case.

But yay for Iron Man and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I bet FSM is gorgeous, what with it being Hawaii and all..

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I really don't remember anyone referring to him as such. Still, he is full of very useful information. Considering that there is no concrete information about a potential BD release of Gladiator, anything anyone can share about it is nice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am NOT an Insider. But I deal with the studios all the time and I am able to request certain movies before announcements are made...and sometimes they push back, and push back, and push back a title so much that you never know WHEN it will hit. Plus I do talk to several other reviewers from other websites so we tend to share information when we hear it. So please, take what I say with a big bowl a doubt because I myself never know whats going to hit until they announce it.

What I do know is a really cool Brave movie may be hitting the same day a Pick Flick one might.

And another studio...oh boy, they are changing dates almost every other day!

[quote name='Scorch']It's kinda a given that it's coming though, Amazon's had a placeholder page for it for a while now

I'm looking forward to 9/30, but I'm a bit bummed (and not suprised) to hear that Dawn of the Dead is the one that's censored near the beginning (where there's a chick walking around and it shows blood instead of boob). I'm also pretty pissed to find out that the "From the director of 300!" is on the actual art and is not a sticker on the case.

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Amazon has tons of place holders for shows, including Murphy Brown Season 1, Buffy Seasons One, X-files etc. No Guarantee those will ever come out.

As for DOTD...yeah, that stupid banner is on the fucking coverart! Lame as shit. And the boob censor was present in the DVD and HD DVD version as well.

[quote name='genfuyung']Ya know what would be awesome on BR? Star Wars. I wonder how many years (decades?) (never?) until that happens.[/QUOTE]

Took 7 years on DVD...

[quote name='GizmoGC']Took 7 years on DVD...[/quote]

Thats insane. They are just now re re re re releasing eps 1-3 in a box set. Nothings new but the box. *sigh*:cry:

All I know is that the 1st 3 Indy movies better be available in their own set at some point. There's no way I'm paying for that Crystal Skull piece of crap.

[quote name='neocisco']All I know is that the 1st 3 Indy movies better be available in their own set at some point. There's no way I'm paying for that Crystal Skull piece of crap.[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it for a while - at least until next Christmas.

Paramount is very interested to see how The Godfather does tomorrow.

[quote name='neocisco']All I know is that the 1st 3 Indy movies better be available in their own set at some point. There's no way I'm paying for that Crystal Skull piece of crap.[/quote]Some people are going to pay quite a bit for that Crystal Skull piece of crap:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195403

[quote name='GizmoGC']Don't count on it for a while - at least until next Christmas.

Paramount is very interested to see how The Godfather does tomorrow.[/quote]I hope it does great numbers, especially after how much the restoration has been touted to make it look fantastic.

[quote name='genfuyung']Thats insane. They are just now re re re re releasing eps 1-3 in a box set. Nothings new but the box. *sigh*:cry:[/quote]Guess I know when it's time to pick them up, as I didn't want to do those three piecemeal. I guess three in a box is better than three singles, unless it's more for those three in a box than singles.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Don't count on it for a while - at least until next Christmas.[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't have my hopes up for anytime soon.

[quote name='shrike4242']Some people are going to pay quite a bit for that Crystal Skull piece of crap:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195403[/quote]

Is it possible to slap people over the internet yet?:fridge: I could go on a diatribe about Lucas (who couldn't at this point?) but I'll refrain. I'd still love to read Darabont's script (or not, it would probably just frustrate me even more).

[quote name='shrike4242']I hope it does great numbers, especially after how much the restoration has been touted to make it look fantastic.[/quote]

I'm in for 1.

Can't wait to get The Godfather Collection tomorrow from Amazon. I'm gonna make an admission here, but I've not seen any of the movies all the way through. Maybe a scene or two here and there, but certainly no more than 10 minutes total of the movie trilogy.

[quote name='genfuyung']Ya know what would be awesome on BR? Star Wars. I wonder how many years (decades?) (never?) until that happens.[/QUOTE]

It's been played on a cable HD movie channel and I have a recording of all three.

3 WMV files at 1080p, 23.4 GB and they look pretty good. :cool:

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Can't wait to get The Godfather Collection tomorrow from Amazon. I'm gonna make an admission here, but I've not seen any of the movies all the way through. Maybe a scene or two here and there, but certainly no more than 10 minutes total of the movie trilogy.[/QUOTE]

I am of the minority and don't think you are missing much, but of course EVERYONE adores the trilogy. Well the first 2 at least. I just happen to find the movies mind numbingly boring and some what self important. Meh.

I could never get into them all that much but I do plan on getting the BD set. I would also like to see a starwars bd set of 4-6 the first 3 I would never watch or buy unless they came in the set and I was forced to get them. Indy would be nice but they would chances are pack all 4 of them in a box and I would be in the same boat with the 4th as episodes 1-3. All are nothing but trash.

Dreamworks rumored winter lineup:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1805

DEXTER!!!! Yes!

I seem to be the only person for whom Warner never ships early. I have yet to be notified of my L.A. Confidential shipping which means it'll probably be Friday before I have it. That said, the Godfather collection should be here today which should keep me busy.

Hey Gizmo, heard anything about this? (other than Zodiac obviously, which I believe you already confirmed by the insert of another title)

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]The great news, however, is that a TON of new catalog Blu-rays are expected to be released on 12/16, just before Christmas. Hot Rod, Old School and Into the Wild have already been announced for that date, and Tommy Boy, Coach Carter and Heartbreak Kid are expected that day as well. Better still, Event Horizon, The Truman Show, Ghost, Last Holiday and Days of Thunder are all expected to arrive in stores on 12/30.

More great Blu-ray titles are expected in January, including Dexter: The Complete First Season (for Showtime), the Braveheart: Special Collector's Edition, Election and Zodiac. Election has already been officially announced for release on 1/20, and we expect Braveheart that day as well.

As always, keep in mind that these titles and dates ARE unofficial and are subject to change until they're actually officially announced by the studios in press releases and retail solicitations.

[/FONT]- The Digital Bits
I know I'm probably the only one but I really like Event Horizon for some reason and to know that Braveheart AND Dexter (FINALLY!) are possibly coming in January is giving me a lot of ideas of what to do with Christmas cash. :cool:

EDIT: Linkin and I are on the same wave length or something.

You aren't the only one, friend. I love Event Horizon. I got the two-disc edition they released a couple of years ago, though, so I don't know if this will be a must-buy for me.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Dreamworks rumored winter lineup:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1805

DEXTER!!!! Yes![/quote]
Hot Rod FTW!!!

[quote name='graf1k']I know I'm probably the only one but I really like Event Horizon for some reason and to know that Braveheart AND Dexter (FINALLY!) are possibly coming in January is giving me a lot of ideas of what to do with Christmas cash. :cool:

EDIT: Linkin and I are on the same wave length or something.[/quote]I liked Event Horizon as well, though I hope they don't go nuts with EE on it, due to some of the dark scenes in it. If it's a nice clean print with good AV, I'll pick it up.

Bravehart is another one I'm looking forward to, and hope they don't fuck it up.

That is so weird. Every time I can think of I ever mentioned Event Horizon to another person, either they never heard of it or hated it with every fiber of their being and here, I find two like-minded people in like 20 minutes. Weird....

My mind will be officially blown if some of you guys like the 13th Warrior as much as me too.

[quote name='graf1k']That is so weird. Every time I can think of I ever mentioned Event Horizon to another person, either they never heard of it or hated it with every fiber of their being and here, I find two like-minded people in like 20 minutes. Weird....

My mind will be officially blown if some of you guys like the 13th Warrior as much as me too.[/quote]Consider your mind blown. :D

Any chance that the OP will ever start being updated on Sunday? I keep missing out on BRs on netflix because I don't know the release schedule til monday or tuesday. By then they say very long wait.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's been played on a cable HD movie channel and I have a recording of all three.

3 WMV files at 1080p, 23.4 GB and they look pretty good. :cool:[/quote]

I remember seeing on AVS Forum people had made custom cases and everything for them. Thats some dedication there.

Just got the Godfather set. I tried to watch it but just can't get into it much at all. I saw about the first half hour to 45 minutes of the first movie and just stopped watching. I think it is going to be one that I have to watch in parts. I have had that issue with other movies and liked them. I just can't watch all of it at one time. It however seems like a nice set I have not checked out the extras yet and the only thing I don't like is the sound. Some parts it is louder then others and I was playing with the valume for the tv a lot. However that is with tv speakers I currently don't have a good set up for 5.1. I may play it with the 5.1 I do have some time in the next week though.

Apparently the first batch of Iron Man BDs are all defective and have some kind of issue with various BD players and Onkyo and Denon receivers and thus has been recalled. Mine supposedly shipped from Tower.com already and they have already issued a complete refund. I'm hoping that it plays fine on a PS3 or that Paramount will do a disc replacement because that would mean free Iron Man for me. :D

I just got the Godfather collection (blu-ray) and had the $10 rebate form inside IF you own the DVD, my question is this, do I have to own ALL 3 of the godfather movies to receive the $10 rebate? or can I just own one of them?

[quote name='graf1k']Apparently the first batch of Iron Man BDs are all defective and have some kind of issue with various BD players and Onkyo and Denon receivers and thus has been recalled. Mine supposedly shipped from Tower.com already and they have already issued a complete refund. I'm hoping that it plays fine on a PS3 or that Paramount will do a disc replacement because that would mean free Iron Man for me. :D[/quote]

Ah that'd be cool if it plays on your PS3...I hope this doesn't delay the street date. I might cancel my Amazon pre-order and just get it at Best Buy for $25.99

[quote name='graf1k']Apparently the first batch of Iron Man BDs are all defective and have some kind of issue with various BD players and Onkyo and Denon receivers and thus has been recalled. Mine supposedly shipped from Tower.com already and they have already issued a complete refund. I'm hoping that it plays fine on a PS3 or that Paramount will do a disc replacement because that would mean free Iron Man for me. :D[/quote]

how could they botch such a big release? heres to hoping.

[quote name='Poor2More']I just got the Godfather collection (blu-ray) and had the $10 rebate form inside IF you own the DVD, my question is this, do I have to own ALL 3 of the godfather movies to receive the $10 rebate? or can I just own one of them?[/QUOTE]

I read it as if you have an older box set or if you get the new box set that is DVD and then upgraded to BD.

Now I'm wondering if BB will even have the BD of Iron Man and if they do if it will work correctly or if I will have to send in the disc.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ah that'd be cool if it plays on your PS3...I hope this doesn't delay the street date. I might cancel my Amazon pre-order and just get it at Best Buy for $25.99[/quote]

Is that a confirmed release price?

Jesus Christ, movies are coming out on DVD/BD too fast. Like Iron Man was just out like 2 weeks ago(not really, but you get the point), then rumored Tropic Thunder next month? THEN EAGLE EYE IN DECEMBER? The movie hasn't even released yet and its going to be on Blu Ray 2 months after? Last time I heard, it took movies 6 months after release to get on DVD/BD.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Ah that'd be cool if it plays on your PS3...I hope this doesn't delay the street date. I might cancel my Amazon pre-order and just get it at Best Buy for $25.99[/quote]

From what I read on the HDD forums, street date is delayed 1 week.

[quote name='IXI Dragunz IXI']Jesus Christ, movies are coming out on DVD/BD too fast. Like Iron Man was just out like 2 weeks ago(not really, but you get the point), then rumored Tropic Thunder next month? THEN EAGLE EYE IN DECEMBER? The movie hasn't even released yet and its going to be on Blu Ray 2 months after? Last time I heard, it took movies 6 months after release to get on DVD/BD.[/quote]

Why is this not an awesome thing? not all of us can make it to the theaters to see new movies.

bread's done
Back