Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

So ROLE MODELS (DVD) came in today.

That movie is sooooo hilarious. Seriously. The unrated version doesn't add much though, its only 3 minutes longer. The blu-ray has the same features (at least according to the release anyways).

The audio on the DVd is rather low though (even for a comedy), great PQ though. The extras are nearly as funny as the film. REcommend for those thinking about a purchase though for sure.

My favorite line from Role Models (probably a bit of paraphrasing):

Paul Rudd's character talking about whatisname McLovin's character:
"I was afraid if I suggested a game of Quidditch he was going to come in his pants."

After Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Role Models I'd say expectations are pretty high for I Love You, Man.

[quote name='neocisco']My favorite line from Role Models (probably a bit of paraphrasing):

Paul Rudd's character talking about whatisname McLovin's character:
"I was afraid if I suggested a game of Quidditch he was going to come in his pants."

After Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Role Models I'd say expectations are pretty high for I Love You, Man.[/quote]

Yeah that line was good, so was the one at the start with the kids in the high school.. that set the movie up to be hilarious.

I love you, man should be HILARIOUS. Let's hope so..

For those interested...

Primal Fear looks like crap. There is tons of noise, grain, colors are washed and dull.

Major disappointment.. the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track is also as bad, levels are low and dialogue is rather hard to make out :(

[quote name='erectiontown']apparently the UK release of Escape from NY has a pretty horrendous PQ for a blu-ray. let's hope the US release gets the proper treatment (a la The Thing)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GizmoGC']It looks like utter, utter crap. Could pass as a DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that after I posted it. Also when I posted it I did not know it was an import. I have been holding off on buying NY and LA till they come out on BD but I'm starting to think I might as well just get them on DVD.

[quote name='Deadpool']And Escape from L.A. was terrible![/QUOTE]

This is Escape from NY not LA and I thought LA was not bad I really liked the ending to it however I did think NY was better.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']T2 Double & Triple dip coming soon:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s..._to_Launch_Skynet_Edition_of_T2_this_May/2517[/QUOTE]

This is why I have held off on a BD copy of The Terminator and T2. I read that the PQ and extras were not all that great and I already have them on DVD. So I thought why buy again when chances are they are going to come out with a better one. I'm a big Terminator fan buy for 174.99 for the Limited Edition Terminator 2 Complete Collector's Set I'm not sure if it will be worth it. From what was posted on highdefdigest.com all it comes with that is known for know is the Skynet Edition on BD and the Ultimate Edition and Extreme Edition on dvd. Now sure if they will all be BD or if the Skynet Edition is the only BD. Not really sure if I would want to pay that much for the set.

Hell after looking at amazon I know it wont be worth it if they are just the DVDs. 5 bucks for the Extreme Edition new and at most 25 bucks for the Ultimate Edition if one was to buy it from an Amazon seller. So 30 for the Skynet Edition, 5 for the Extreme Edition, and 25 for the Ultimate Edition is only 60 bucks. Hell even if one was to buy the Ultimate Edition for the highest price, 65 bucks, that is still only 100 bucks and your saving then 75 - 115 bucks.

Well hell I'm looking this up as I'm typing and finding more out about it. The one that is 175 is going to come in this

http://media.bluray.ign.com/media/143/14323995/img_6480327.html

http://media.bluray.ign.com/media/143/14323995/img_6480325.html

Skynet Edition cover will look like this

http://media.bluray.ign.com/media/143/14323995/img_6480319.html

Smaller picks

http://media.bluray.ign.com/media/143/14323995/imgs_1.html

Sorry about them being so large but IGN posted them that size however the like above is to smaller ones and you can find some that are a better size here in the 4th post down.

I think I will end up buying the 175 version if the case for it looks as good as the pick. I wonder if it is a 1:1 and what it will be made out of. Will be more then worth it as long as it is made well.

Hell now that I think about it I might end up buying both and just keep the 175 version in the box and not even open it. Mostly due to the fact that it will be used to store the discs and I would rather have them in a normal case.

I have the HD DVD version of Terminator 2 (Stellbook) and I'm keeping it. It already has DTS MA and I don't care about the special features.

Most of these releases sell for $12.95 - $17.95 and with the exchange rate, they only add up to a typical USA catalog release. Feel free to discuss any of these or any of the ones coming out. See Coupons at bottom of post. All titles are 1080p unless otherwise mentioned. I did make mention of 1080p titles if the cover art was wrong. www.Amazon.Ca

Currently Available:
* Amelie - (1080i, No Subtitles, Poor Menu Navigation; French TrueHD only) - with special features
* 15 Minutes (DTS MA, AVC) - NO special features
* 21 Grams - UNKNOWN
* A Nightmare on Elm Street (TrueHD) Heavy DNR. USA release likely to be the same transfer - NO special features
* Black Christmas (2006 version) - with special features
* C.R.A.Z.Y. (1080i, French TrueHD only) - with special features
* Cruising Bar 2 (French 5.1 PCM French DD5.1) - with special features (all in French, no subtitles)
* Cold Mountain (DTS MA, AVC, No subtitles) - NO special features
* DOA: Dead or Alive (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Fido (1080i with TrueHD) - with special features
* From Dusk Till Dawn (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Freddy Vs. Jason (DTS MA) - NO special features
* Good Will Hunting (1080p - box says 1080i but its a mistake) - NO special features - Confirmed for a USA Release in 2009
* Hostage - (1080p - box says 1080i but its a mistake) - NO special features - AR 1.78:1 - UK release is 2.40:1
* In a Galaxy Near You (Dans une galaxie près de chez vous 1 & 2) - (special features unknown)
* Passchendaele - with special features all in HD
* Ronin - (Special Features Unknown) - Officially released in USA
* Seed of Chucky (Child's Play) (1080i, DTS MA, AVC - Believed to be Rated cut) - NO special features
* Slither (AVC 1080i with TrueHD / For Comparison, the HD DVD was VC1 1080p with DD+) - with special features
* Sin City (DTS MA) - NO special features - Confirmed for a 2 Disc BD USA Release in 2009
* The Constant Gardener (DTS MA) - NO special features - Cover art claims there is but they are no where to be found on the disc
* The Butterfly Effect (DTS MA) *Directors Cut* (Box says 1 Hour 54 Mins but its a mistake) - NO special features
* White Noise 1 & 2 - (1080i, TrueHD) Both films on one BD50 Disc. with special features for both films
* Young People F***ing - with special features

Coming Soon:
* Traffic (3/3)
* Rounders (3/3) - Confirmed for a USA Release in 2009 NO special features
* Se7en (3/3) - (1080p - 1080i is a mistake on the cover. DTS MA) - Box claims 1.78:1 AR but some are unsure. Hold off buying until more people get this title if you are worried the AR might be wrong - NO special features
* Brokeback Mountain (3/3) - Confirmed for a USA Release in 3/10/09
* Derailed (3/3)
* Requiem for a Dream *Directors Cut* (3/3)
* Knockaround Guys (4/7)
* Reindeer Games (4/7)
* Chasing Amy (4/7)
* Boiler Room (4/7)
* A Man Apart (4/7)
* Running Scared (4/7)
* Trainspotting (4/7)
* Taxi Driver - Unknown when/if being released

Other:
Titles available from Distributer Alliance that is either identical to or worse then the American Blu-ray. These are simply here for reference and for some, they may be cheaper then tracking down the American Version:
District B-13 (Identical)
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (Identical)
Silent Hill (Different Artwork on Disc and Cover - Identical otherwise)

Currency Converter - http://www.xe.com/ucc/
- As of 1/2/09 $10CANADIAN = $8.23USA

[quote name='GizmoGC']I have the HD DVD version of Terminator 2 (Stellbook) and I'm keeping it. It already has DTS MA and I don't care about the special features.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to jump on it seeing how I only have the Extreme Edition DVD. I thinking of buying the 175 edition and just keeping it boxed but I'm not sure. It all depends on the quality of the endoskull case. If it is cheap I will chances are pass but if it is a good quality then both are mine. I'm still thinking about picking up the ultimate edition also.

Sin City finally up for pre-order at Amazon, 25 isn't too bad. I gave it an order, hopefully it drops a little more until it releases though.

So I ordered Blade Runner from Amazon not too long ago and it shipped to my house. So I popped it in my PS3 and noticed that the picture quality sucked. There were bright lines on the top of the screen and another at the bottom. No way I said, I read all the reviews and they all said the picture was crisp. My version looked like I was watching a DVD or something. So I pop in the 3rd disk which has the theaterical, international, and directors cut and to my surprise the picture was stunning. So anyone else that has Blade Runner blu ray, can you tell me if you have the same problem or did I get shafted?

[quote name='bullsrfive']So I ordered Blade Runner from Amazon not too long ago and it shipped to my house. So I popped it in my PS3 and noticed that the picture quality sucked. There were bright lines on the top of the screen and another at the bottom. No way I said, I read all the reviews and they all said the picture was crisp. My version looked like I was watching a DVD or something. So I pop in the 3rd disk which has the theaterical, international, and directors cut and to my surprise the picture was stunning. So anyone else that has Blade Runner blu ray, can you tell me if you have the same problem or did I get shafted?[/quote]

Click here to see the glitched Blu-ray thread.

Warner has a replacement program.

[quote name='Ruined']
Blade Runner (slimline case)
* Some copies do not have the final cut on Disc 1 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the workprint disc
! Warner has a replacement program available
[/quote]

Hope this helps.

Voted too because I hate seeing flawed disks being pushed on us.

I have Blade Runner but don't remember noticing anything bad on it... gotta go double check.

[quote name='WhoKnowsWho']Voted too because I hate seeing flawed disks being pushed on us.

I have Blade Runner but don't remember noticing anything bad on it... gotta go double check.[/quote]

Big thanks to you also.

[quote name='bullsrfive']Just voted right now
transparent_pixel.gif

[/quote]

Yah voted here too!

Thanks for the saving grace!

Saint

[quote name='GizmoGC']
* Se7en (3/3) - (1080p - 1080i is a mistake on the cover. DTS MA) - Box claims 1.78:1 AR but some are unsure. Hold off buying until more people get this title if you are worried the AR might be wrong - NO special features [/QUOTE]

Actually reports are that Se7en IS 1080i only. Not sure about the aspect ratio but I do believe 1.78:1 is what the release is.

with the canadian blu-rays. if you're buying titles weinstein owns in the US, most likely it is a different encode.

whoever owns the rights to them in canada isn't as good as weinsteinn when it comes to encoding

That might be a 1:1 endoskull and I hope it is not made cheap. If it is then it will be as close to one can get to a 1:1 endoskull other then ebay. I have wanted one for a long time and they are going for 700+ on ebay at times 500. once I find out the quality I will preorder one and just buy the BD DVD to keep this one in the box.

Anyone interested..

Paramore The Final Riot! is an amazing blu-ray for those who are fans of Paramore. I strongly recommend it, its got great video and audio, and as a fan of them, its a great purchase when it comes out on the 21st.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Anyone interested..

Paramore The Final Riot! is an amazing blu-ray for those who are fans of Paramore. I strongly recommend it, its got great video and audio, and as a fan of them, its a great purchase when it comes out on the 21st.[/QUOTE]

Interesting you got it so early. Looks like the plan to delay it a few weeks until Twilights BD release makes sense. Did it have a huge TWILIGHT sticker on it?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Look what showed up yesterday:

Looks like both have new features from the previous HD DVDs.[/quote]

You're not fuckING Kidding me!?! WHERE! I'll fucking buy it full price NOW!!

[quote name='GizmoGC']Interesting you got it so early. Looks like the plan to delay it a few weeks until Twilights BD release makes sense. Did it have a huge TWILIGHT sticker on it?[/quote]

Summit isnt handling Twilight, Paramount is. (I think)

I also got LET THE RIGHT ONE IN the vampire movie today.

GREAT FILM. Average audio/video, zilch supplements (Deleted/making of feature).

I highly recommend it.

And ive never seen pitch black/chronicles. ANy good?

Does anyone have any info on Outbreak? I checked DVDTalk but no review. Fry's has it on sale for $15 and I'm thinking about getting it.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Summit isnt handling Twilight, Paramount is. (I think)

I also got LET THE RIGHT ONE IN the vampire movie today.

GREAT FILM. Average audio/video, zilch supplements (Deleted/making of feature).

I highly recommend it.

And ive never seen pitch black/chronicles. ANy good?[/QUOTE]

That was supposed to go to me...lol.

[quote name='neocisco']Does anyone have any info on Outbreak? I checked DVDTalk but no review. Fry's has it on sale for $15 and I'm thinking about getting it.[/quote]

Barebones WB release per:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews40/outbreak_blu-ray.htm
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]

Outbreak [Blu-ray DVD]

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] (Wolfgang Petersen, 1995)[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Warner
Review by Gary W. Tooze
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Video
Video codec: VC-1
Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1

Audio
English: True HD 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, DUBs: French Spanish, German (5.1)

Subtitles
English, English SDH, French, Spanish, German, none
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Supplements: [/FONT]
none[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Disc[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Feature: [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] 21.81[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Gig
2:08:12
Disc: 25GB (dual-layered)
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Released: September 2nd, 2008
Standard Blu-ray case
45 chapters

[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1653/outbreak.html

HDD reviewer gave the video quality 3 outta 5 stars but said this:
Warner presents 'Outbreak' on a BD-25 single-layer disc in 1080p/VC-1 video (1.78:1). It's clear that this is not a catalog title of high importance to the studio, for not only is this a bare-bones disc, but the source doesn't appear to have been all that cleaned up since the last time the flick hit standard DVD.
This is a decent transfer. Positives are nice black levels, a generally clean print with only a few blemishes and appropriate film grain, and contrast that is nicely balanced. The image overall has a a realistic look, though it's not particularly detailed. There's flat and slightly soft look throughout, and shadow delineation borders on the poor -- darkest scenes are noticeably fuzzy and lacking in any visible fine texture. Colors are fine, with decent saturation though nothing really eye-popping. The encode is solid, with no obvious compression artifacts and only slight edge enhancement. This is a serviceable catalog release from Warner.
Sounds more like a 4/5 to me, as the majority of the movie (except for the short C130 cargo area scene) is pretty well lit, and the shadow delineation would be negligible. Maybe his standards are higher for a bargain title than mine, IDK.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT]

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']

And ive never seen pitch black/chronicles. ANy good?[/QUOTE]

I loved both of them with Chronicles the Director's Cut being just a bit better than Pitch Black, but i am in the minority with that opinion.

Chronicles feels kinda like Conan in space.
While Pitch Black feels much more like a horror/creature feature film.

I've never actually sat down and watched all of Pitch Black, but I liked Chronicles of Riddick...a lot. I found it to be a really good summer flick.

EDIT: I have not been paying attention. I had no clue the Batman movies were coming out. If the price comes down a bit, I know I'll bite on that set.

bread's done
Back