Borderlands discussion - Is Moxxi hot or not?

There's Borderlands avatar stuff available on the marketplace now. Shirts for all of the gun brands, Crimson Lance and Raider helmets, a Dr. Zed outfit, and some other stuff. :)

Thanks for the heads up, Ryuukishi. Methinks Kotaku dropped the ball on posting the news.

daa51dbc20d5ae8c9daa84aada475bc6.jpg
2eab4a881659c6fe69bcca2ec2976adf.jpg

4cf4690975cef831f754d76a19b79097.jpg
4d15641215e45fc61fd9f33df5a2608a.jpg

View pictures of all Borderlands avatar gear

[quote name='BREVITY']Will tomorrows DLC have the lvl cap upgrade in it?[/QUOTE]
It sounds like the level cap increase isn't coming until October. I'm definitely downloading this DLC day one but it's minorly annoying that I'll likely have completed it before the new level cap goes live.

LoL tnx ya that's lame! Same boat going to be done with it b4 the lvl cap an what not drops. Why would they do this? I hope they change it and offer it in this dlc.

[quote name='uglyteradon']That Dr. Ned outfit rules, bought.[/QUOTE]
Looks pretty sweet. I decided to go with the Maliwan tee since my Siren never leaves home without her Combustion Hellfire SMG and Pestilent Defiler pistol.

Wow, I finally finished the main game last night and I have a few questions for the veterans, but mainly it felt a little underwhelming. Still love the game though.
But really if this game is all about loot and the whole idea is getting the treasures in the Vault and after the final battle you get a few crap items. Nothing good, shouldn't you be rewarded with a decent item or two to begin your second run with.
Anyway on to Armory of Knoxx and if anyone wants to tackle Moxxi Co-op send me a fr or pm: JDawgg77

[quote name='BREVITY']LoL tnx ya that's lame! Same boat going to be done with it b4 the lvl cap an what not drops. Why would they do this? I hope they change it and offer it in this dlc.[/QUOTE]

Why would they do what?

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Increase the level cap after the new DLC is released as opposed to before/at the same time so you can level in the new stuff.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Increase the level cap after the new DLC is released as opposed to before/at the same time so you can level in the new stuff.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm in no hurry to grab the Claptrap DLC. Might as well wait for the level increase so that it counts for something.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Wow, I finally finished the main game last night and I have a few questions for the veterans, but mainly it felt a little underwhelming. Still love the game though.
But really if this game is all about loot and the whole idea is getting the treasures in the Vault and after the final battle you get a few crap items. Nothing good, shouldn't you be rewarded with a decent item or two to begin your second run with.
Anyway on to Armory of Knoxx and if anyone wants to tackle Moxxi Co-op send me a fr or pm: JDawgg77[/QUOTE]

Yup, welcome to the party and yeah you'll like the ending to the Armory of General Knoxx better. To me it felt like what the original ending should have been.

I really hope this DLC has some better level 48+ guns than Knoxx did. I finished Knoxx using the same level 48 weapons that I came into it with. Never found anything in the 50s that was any better.

Re: the level cap - it was said before the patch is dropping around the same time as the GOTY, which I think is 10/12.

I'm with you Ryu, I'm hoping for better guns - I've gotten a few better ones, but there need to be some REALLY better ones.

Downloading the upgrade now. Destructoid reviewer trashed it. No other reviews yet.

Wow, hadn't seen that review. Word on the Gearbox forums seemed pretty positive.

Not to get all Borderlands Defense Force here, but it seemed like his main problem with the DLC was that it's not different enough from what's come before. I personally am pretty happy with what's come before (fetch quests and all) so I guess I'm not too worried. The comments about Tannis do concern me though; she was one of mt favorite characters in the main game and it would be a shame if they messed up her writing.

It's really not that great compared to Knoxx. It's better than Moxxi, but pretty much on an even keel with Zombie Island.

Also, anyone have problems with the achievements?
I've already killed Knoxx and Ned and haven't got achievements for either of them and haven't unlocked the achievements for them.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not to get all Borderlands Defense Force here[/QUOTE]

That was kinda my first reaction to the review too.

Though, I think that what he was saying is it's too much like Zombie Island and not enough like Gen. Knoxx - and I can agree that, in regards to quality, Knoxx and the original release were miles ahead of Zombie Island and Moxxi's.

Moxxi's is...I don't know what to say. We didn't set aside enough time yet on the times we went for the 20round runs and...it's more an endurance/patience challenge then difficult....

Word on the Gearbox forums seemed pretty positive.

Yeah, but I'd assume (haven't spent much time there) that the GBX forums are just full of fanboys anyway - I mean - word on any company's forums is usually positive no matter how big a pile of shit is produced.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Also, anyone have problems with the achievements?
I've already killed Knoxx and Ned and haven't got achievements for either of them and haven't unlocked the achievements for them.
[/QUOTE]
Saw someone posting about this on xbox360achievements.org. You actually fight each boss twice and get the achievement after the second battle.

[quote name='pfp']I mean - word on any company's forums is usually positive no matter how big a pile of shit is produced.[/QUOTE]
You should try the BioWare forums sometime. You can't even post there until you sign an oath that you will hate the company and all of their products forever.

i got a question about weapon stats.
at the top of the weapons stats it has dmg, rof and accuracy. below that it has any added effects.
now if a gun has say 50% added dmg, is that already calculated in the above dmg or is it 50% more on top of that?

I've gotten the impression it's factored in, and it's more "just telling you" look, this has a stupid high rof.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the DLC is more like Zombie Island and less like Knoxx, then that's the best news I could've hoped for.

Zombie Island was the best DLC that they put out for the game, and now I'm really looking forward to the new one.

[quote name='lolwut?']If the DLC is more like Zombie Island and less like Knoxx, then that's the best news I could've hoped for.

Zombie Island was the best DLC that they put out for the game, and now I'm really looking forward to the new one.[/QUOTE]

Well I do agree that Zombie Island was fun but I had a better story experience per see with General Knoxx. One thing however I did not like about Knoxx is that you're basically driving a lot and from one side of the map to the next.

The new achievements not showing up in the listing on the dashboard (where you click on each game you've played) for anyone else?

Edit: Nevermind. Once the DLC finished downloading, they showed up. I've been screwed by EA game DLC and DLC for Magic The Gathering that I didn't want this to be screwed up as well and the achievements not show up (EA) or have to reearn them after recovering my Gamertag (Magic.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, beat a good bit of it before taking a break tonight. The new DLC just doesn't feel that great to me. It makes me sad. I wish there was some vehicle sequences. All of the walking annoys me.

NEW DLC~! WOO! Driving in Knoxx was annoying, but whatever. I'm excited to play this tomorrow or Thursday when I can finally breathe.

[quote name='Corvin']That's why I'm in no hurry to grab the Claptrap DLC. Might as well wait for the level increase so that it counts for something.[/QUOTE]

Kinda my plan too. Especially since I'm playing on PC, and there most likely will be another big sale on Steam at some point, and if it's closer to Zombie Island than Knoxx then I'm even more inclined to wait. Knoxx seemed to ramp the difficulty up more and have slightly more new content, Zombie Island seemed entirely disconnected from the main game.

Not to mention ZI and Knoxx don't fit into the level scheme for going from playthrough 2 from 1. Assuming you beat Borderlands in PT1 and go to ZI (Which is implied in the opening cutscene) you'll be overleveled and have a cakewalk. Knoxx at least is roughly the proper level by the time you get to it, even though once you finish it you'll be ahead in playthrough 2. What I end up doing is skipping all the sidequests in Fyrestone (And usually New Haven) to catch the game up to my character. Hoping the level cap increasing patch addresses that a bit.

I liked both Island of Dr. Ned and General Knoxx for different reasons, but both were great DLC's. Island got hard on the eyes after a while. It was just so dark...reminded me of the opposite of playing in the Barrens forever (for those WoW players).

I'm definitely going to grab the new DLC, after the Reach novelty wears off or it goes onsale. :D

Just a heads up: At least one of the collectible achievements in the new DLC is bugged. "It's so realistic!" is not unlocking for many players (myself included) who have picked up more than 5 pairs of 3D glasses.

No one seems to have unlocked any of the other ones yet, but that may just be because of the absurdly low drop rate of the required items.

Got it last night w/my son. Had fun getting back in the game after so long. We got all the other DLC day 1 and loved it so it was good to grab this and play some more. Hate seeing all that XP going by w/o it raising our lvl at all though.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just a heads up: At least one of the collectible achievements in the new DLC is bugged. "It's so realistic!" is not unlocking for many players (myself included) who have picked up more than 5 pairs of 3D glasses.

No one seems to have unlocked any of the other ones yet, but that may just be because of the absurdly low drop rate of the required items.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's not unlocked for me either. I've picked up way, WAY more than 5 pairs.

[quote name='BREVITY']Got it last night w/my son. Had fun getting back in the game after so long. We got all the other DLC day 1 and loved it so it was good to grab this and play some more. Hate seeing all that XP going by w/o it raising our lvl at all though.[/QUOTE]
I've heard that XP is like Cash. If you are maxed out at level 61, you still earn XP and could theoretically reach level 69 immediately once the patch comes out if you have played a lot after maxing.

Does anyone know how true this is?

[quote name='myl0r']I've heard that XP is like Cash. If you are maxed out at level 61, you still earn XP and could theoretically reach level 69 immediately once the patch comes out if you have played a lot after maxing.

Does anyone know how true this is?[/QUOTE]
Not true, at least if it still works the same way it did when Knoxx first came out. I earned many thousands of EXP with a level 50 character before the cap raised to 61, and that EXP was not banked.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Not true, at least if it still works the same way it did when Knoxx first came out. I earned many thousands of EXP with a level 50 character before the cap raised to 61, and that EXP was not banked.[/QUOTE]
bummer, thanks for the clarification. no rush for me to pick up the dlc/game again now

Speaking of cash I have had 999999 forever. I have no real idea how much I have. But so far I have not found anything worth buying in the DLC. For that matter I have not found anything worth picking up.

/\ Yeah, all I've found is a Hellfire which wasn't as good as what I was carrying and a Volcano in a vending machine, similarly not as good as my volcano.

Knoxx was too much driving, but the difficulty was reasonable. This is a little too easy, but was overall fun so far, if not a bit predictable. Lots of gun chests, both at Tartarus and on all the quests. Still think farming the armory (which would be easier if it didn't involve killing knoxx everytime) is probably the most productive way to get good guns in large qty's.

All that being said - it is a little easy, and a little too low-level if you're 61. But if the patch applies to everything (including DLC, I mean) in terms of scaling difficulty to the player's level, then the difficulty should be more appropriate once the patch drops.

If you want to know how much you have, get yourself killed. The fee for dying is 7%, if I remember correctly, so you can take that value (we'll call X) and plug it into this forumula, where Y is your total money:

X = Y * (0.07)

I found a class mod that was much better than what I was using, and I'm only about 2 missions in. The guns have all sucked though. Then again, I maybe in the wrong place for good guns. In Knoxx I only got good guns in the armory, 90% of the other stuff I found were just cobras with crappy stats.

Thats the one thing that really disappointed me in Borderlands, I was expected the weapons to be MUCH more random. I remember one of the developers talking in a Game Informer about how you could possibly find game-breaking guns. That was early in the games development, so I think they took out the possibility. :(

I thought we were supposed to get new upgrade stuff with this DLC. Stuff like the skill points and stuff. Any new vehicles. I am going to go Google this now and find out just whats in this.

You get a skill point for finishing the main quest line, and you can get it in both PT1 and PT2, similar to the bonus skill points in Mad Moxxi. There's also a Clap-Trap with a backpack SDU. There are no vehicles whatsoever in it.

There's a bonus skill point for Mad Moxxi? In that case, if I start PT2 can I go back to PT1 and do Mad Moxxi later once I find a co-op partner or two? Or are you stuck on PT2 once you select it? I'm still doing Knoxx in PT1 at the moment. If not, is there anything I should make sure I've done in PT1 before I start PT2 so I don't miss out on it?

bread's done
Back