Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

So any word on how the bikes are? I am at work and cant wait to tear it up online with the new download, this game has gotten almost as much replay value as the orange box.

I certainly do appreciate that Critirion held off until both consoles were ready, to send out this update.
I just played it for a few minutes.
Pretty cool. Looks like there are about 25 challenges to upgrade your Bike license. Like pulling a wheelie.
Critirion is really impressing me with all the free GCC ("game changing content". as they call it). Now lets just wait and see how much the islands will cost.

How is the day / night cycle? Is it configurable, or does it just gradually progress from day to night and back again as you play?

I also really like how criterion is doing this. More game developers should take notes on how to expand the lifetime of a game and offer DLC that doesnt seem like it was already on the disc or just tacked on. :applause: to the folks who are working on this and other DLC for the game

For fans, you should check out their website. They also have a video podcast. They really take a lot of pride in what they do, and like to show glimpses of what's coming in future updates. Along with videos of themselves playing the upcoming updates.

You can get cheap games from deepdiscount.com. Sometimes gamefly, even with my 10% off discount, has been higher plus deepdiscount has the NEW game and they always have free shipping.

Man I'll have to get back into this game, haven't played it in ages!

[quote name='smarkbran']So any word on how the bikes are? I am at work and cant wait to tear it up online with the new download, this game has gotten almost as much replay value as the orange box.[/quote]

Haven't had time to test out the new bikes yet but later tonight I should be able to tell you how they are

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Anyone know where I can get a good deal on this game? I don't mind buying used.[/quote]

I saw Burnout Paradise brand new for $20 at Target and Walmart in the Phoenix Area

Here's a quick rundown of playing the update for 10 minutes:

When you install the update, you get two free bikes. You know how you change the color of a car by moving left or right no the analog stick? One of the options is a Female version of the bike (with a female rider). So, you can play both a male and a female.

If you crash into a wall or something at high-speed with your motorcycle, it will teleport you back onto the street -- you don't see the crash camera. However, if you crash into a vehicle at high speed, you will watch the crash camera and it will say "wrecked". Personally, I like how you don't have to watch your bicycle crash 24/7 if you hit into a wall. A quick sentence for wheelies, you can't like fall off backwards if you wheelie for too long.

I would like to be the first to say, that wheelie doughnuts are the shit. thank you.

How to do wheelie doughnut:
simple. When riding, hold back analog stick to do wheelie. Now, hold B while turning. You should be spinning around in circles doing wheelie.

After I downloaded the update and went into the news screen, an achievement unlocked (it was the Watt Street achievement).

Anyone else get the same thing ?

Bikes are pretty cool, does anyone know if you can advance the clock? It seems to be in real time and I don't want to wait 12 hours to do the night races.

[quote name='benjamouth']After I downloaded the update and went into the news screen, an achievement unlocked (it was the Watt Street achievement).

Anyone else get the same thing ?

Bikes are pretty cool, does anyone know if you can advance the clock? It seems to be in real time and I don't want to wait 12 hours to do the night races.[/quote]

You can advance the clock in the options. You can have a full day progress over 24 or 48 minutes among a lot of different things.

Bullshit, it says the DLC is damaged and can't be played. I know it's free and all but seriously don't they check this shit before they ship it out? Glad it works for most of you shame I can't play it.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Bullshit, it says the DLC is damaged and can't be played. I know it's free and all but seriously don't they check this shit before they ship it out? Glad it works for most of you shame I can't play it.[/quote]

Try clearing the cashe and then starting it up again.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Try clearing the cashe and then starting it up again.[/quote]

Or try deleting the file and redownload it. Sounds like a problem on your end to me.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Try clearing the cashe and then starting it up again.[/quote]I did this after reading it elseware and it worked. Although from my readings elsewhere it was a problem for a lot of other people too.

From what I can gather something about teh Cagney update was causing the issue and that the Bike back was supposed to delete the cagney update automaticly and for some reason it wasn't on certain people's saves. I probably over reacted a little but that was the thir issue I had with DLC that night, the other had to do with iTunes, but I was just fed up with digital media by that point.

Anyway bikes are fun but the cars are better IMO. Still have to credit Criterion on their continuing efforts to make Paradise better. Can't wait for the dune buggies and the islands.

(Also can we have the jets please!?!?!)

[quote name='Chronotrigga']Grab a 48 hour trial code if you can't download update. :D[/quote]
Actually that doens't always work. The 48 hour codes offer "limited" gold access. Yes you can play multiplayer but not all the gold DLC is availible for you.

Pretty sneaky.

from what I can tell, based on activity in many forums, this might be too little too late.
Personally I am quite happy with critirions continued support. And I really look forward to the island DLC coming some day.
Unfortunately, there are just so many great games out, and coming out, that playing an older title just to get some extra play out of it, may not be intriguing enough for the hard core fans.
But wow is this great support for anybody that has yet to play the game.
It's a LOT of game for $29 (or whatever it's going for these days).

[quote name='syrupninja']Guess I won't be playing it then. :([/QUOTE]

Me too, I'll have to wait a week (I really should get a gold account though, as this game online is fun as hell)

How does the update for BP work compared to the PS3 version? Since the actually update is DLC in the marketplace, does not downloading it mean you don't get the content that the update is supposed to bring?

I just picked this game up and I love it. I find myself just driving around and not really accomplishing anything though. Also, it is going to take a very long time to learn the map and all of the shortcuts... I haven't tried the bikes yet but I got the update as soon as I popped in the disc for the first time...

[quote name='syrupninja']Am I the only one that finds this game frustratingly difficult to play on an SD tv?[/quote]

No, it's definitely frustrating, especially when you hit top speed and can't even react to every little turn, vehicle, shortcut, etc.

I just got 100% on the bike license. It was cool to use bikes, but the challenges were really easy. I believe i won them all on the first try. I think i only came close to losing once, the rest of the challenges i finished with a ton of time left.

I've started playing Burnout Paradise about a week ago... and haven't stopped since. I just got my Burnout license (beat the game). Everything about this game is awesome. My friends love watching the crashes, and I've gotten a couple of them are addicted to it heh. I wish there was a split-screen multiplayer.

The only thing that sucks is the initial load time. Does this game take an hour to load for you guys too? (And by an hour, I mean like a solid 5 minutes).

It doesn't take that long for me. I'd estimate somewhere from 1:30 to 2:00 after I put the disc in or select it from the Xbox dashboard. This is coming from a late 2005 360, Pro model, no HDMI, etc.

Is this game worth the $30 it is at stores? Is it cheaper anywhere else?

I only have a SDTV and some are complaining that it's hard to play without a HDTV. Would that be a problem?

Ill say its well worth 30 bucks. Plus free bikes pack. Then they are adding another island later in the year. I have no idea about how it plays on SDTV though.

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']Is this game worth the $30 it is at stores? Is it cheaper anywhere else?

I only have a SDTV and some are complaining that it's hard to play without a HDTV. Would that be a problem?[/quote]

What problems? I play on a SDTV and I don't have any problems playing the game.

The amount of support they have given this game is incredible and the price at the moment with all the added features and updates is def worth 30 bucks. Soo much fun, well once you memorize the world in your head which I have so I don't have any complaining about needing a map. I'm 10+ events off my elite license!

The learning curve is pretty steep because you have to learn every street and shortcut to get good. Once you've got the city down, the game gets really fun.

[quote name='depascal22']The learning curve is pretty steep because you have to learn every street and shortcut to get good. Once you've got the city down, the game gets really fun.[/quote]

this may be true if you are trying to perfect the game.
But for me personally it was a fairly easy learning curve. But I am more of a casual gamer. So i'm not really interested in finding every road and short cut. I have plenty of fun just driving around improving my scores.

Yeah, to me it's not at all worth it to complete this game 100%. At that point, it becomes more of a chore than fun. There's just WAY to much to do, haha (that's not a bad thing at all,though; just means I won't be completing it).

Wow finally was able to play the bikes, had downloaded it before and they weren't anywhere. I played today and after another update bingo! Man I went flying over a hill and didn't see a car coming and my bike hit the back end of the car and went spinning head over tails like made crazy. That alone makes the bikes awesome and oh there's nothing cooler doing a donut on a bike! I'm guessing if you push forward and your character leans forward that you go faster?!

The bikes update has distracted me from going for the elite license but I'm 31% on my bike's license and just got down to 11 events to elite! I love racing at night with a bike and I have noticed that there isn't as many cars on the road when you race with motorcycles. It's very apparent when you switch to cars again and just get swamped with traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Party Mode announced! Was browsing through the xbox forums of this game and found that they're planning a party mode which will allow you and up to 7 friends to do the online challenges type gameplay locally with one controller. I miss 2 player split screen though.
http://criteriongames.com/index.php

Then there are some games which don't get any love or some DLC after they've been finished, much appreciated criterion!

backtofuture.jpg

Criterion continues to deliver the Burnout Paradise goodness, this time with a preview of a very special vehicle coming next year as part of their new Legendary Cars series. The Jansen 88 Special is modeled after the Jansen P12, but it's received a few modifications. Once you fill up the boost gauge, trigger it and the car leaves a trail of dual flames behind it, much like a certain modified DeLorean DMC-12 does when you reach 88 miles per hour in it. Sweet, but that's not all. Hit the jump to see what happens when you hit the L3 button.
hovercar.jpg

The Jansen 88 Special is the first of four Legendary Cars being introduced to the series as next year, along with the Cavalry Bootlegger, Manhattan Spirit and the GT Nighthawk. Each car will be available for purchase separately, or as part of a discounted pack of four.
http://kotaku.com/5079670/burnout-paradise-goes-back-to-the-future

fucking sweet!

bread's done
Back