CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are my $0.02 on the current state of Arcade Sticks:

For anyone looking for a really good PS3 stick I can recommend both the Virtua Fighter High Grade stock and I have a HRAP3 that I did a full Sanwa mod on (just had to replace the buttons, which is super easy as they have quick disconnects). To me they both perform equally (but of course I'm not an expert). For my X360 I have the Hori EX2 stick, and I find that between VF5 for PS3 and VF5 for X360 I have alot less accuracy on the EX2. So if you are really serious and want to stick with the X360 then I think you should do some customization or build your own using a PCB from some joypad...

But yeah, EX2 I cannot really recommend that much.

But luckily all can work w/ your PC too if you want to use them for PC games, just for the VS:HG and possibly others the stick is treated as the hat-switch button so gotta account for that in the settings.

[quote name='eastx']I would pull the Virtua Stick High Grade down to an A Rank since it has that problem with 3-simultaneous button presses... Last time I checked (back in April or so), people still had issues with it.[/quote]

From my understanding this was just with the initial batch. I have one from the second batch and I have never had any issue with mine at all, and I have just left it stock since it already has the sanwa parts and I'm ok w/ the all black/dark grey look of the stick. This is just my experience though. *I purchased mine through Play-Asia if that makes any difference*

I have used mine with:

Tons of PS 2 games played on the PS3, including games like MvC2, Street Fighter Collections, and Arcana Heart (60 GB)
T5: DR
VF5
MK2
SC4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cdrober']
But luckily all can work w/ your PC too if you want to use them for PC games, just for the VS:HG and possibly others the stick is treated as the hat-switch button so gotta account for that in the settings.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well the Fighting Stick 3 for PS3 has serious PC compatibility issues. the VSHG would be a better choice for that dual-compatibility.

[quote name='eastx']Ah, well the Fighting Stick 3 for PS3 has serious PC compatibility issues. the VSHG would be a better choice for that dual-compatibility.[/quote]

Sorry, to clarify on this my 'all' = VSHG and HRAP3....sorry for this, I really shouldn't have used 'all' here. I have never attempted to connect the EX2. My apologies for any confusion.

[quote name='Chacrana']So is a square gate better than an octagonal gate, or is it really just a preference thing? I feel like when I pick up a new stick, I want an octagonal gate just because of how it seems like it'd be easier to differentiate between hitting down vs. down-right. Ya know?[/QUOTE]I hate octagonal gates becoz square gates are arcade standard.

when u play on an octagon u develop habits that eff you up when u go to the arcade.

Of course it is preference and octagons are the more popular choice it seems, but I personally like to go to the arcade and play on their machines so when I play at home I like to stay ready.

I actually found that, after awhile with the square gate in my fs3, that I didn't have too many problems with quarter and half circle motions. I just like the feeling of the octagonal gate more since I find it easier to ride the gate because of the way my fingers are positioned on the stick.

I actually liked the ball top too since I could do double taps with just one finger, whereas on a bat stick to do a double right I use two fingers in sequence.

All in all, I see both the pros and cons of the gates and stick tops, and plan to use them interchangeably in the future!

the difference between japanese and american sticks isnt just a matter of ball vs bat btw.

japanese sticks have a shorter shaft than US sticks so your range of movement is a lot smaller. This has been attributed to why a lot of japanese players can pull off crazy shyt while in the middle of a defensive state (i.e. 720 during parrying of chun's super), they actually did less work that what would have been required on a bigger US style stick.

japanese sticks offer a lot less resistance that american sticks also. Theyre very loose as opposed to american sticks which are a lot more stiff. P360 sticks have a rather stiffness to them, competition sticks do not however it's common to replace the spring with a hard spring to achieve that stiffness.

Will the U.S. be getting both SFIV sticks? And will the normal stick be in some sort of bundle and the Pro be sold alone?

Hmm... well after thinking about it, Jekki's got a point... it probably wouldn't be good to use an octagonal gate when square gates are the standard for like everything.

Yea, it may be weird at first, but once you get used to it, it's really good.

More info on the SF IV stick should be out before the game is released here.

So I was inspired by the SCIV Stick thread and read through the stick thread at GAF and a few on SRK. I was in turn inspired to purchase this:

NamcoStickP8010005.jpg

Along with my Agetec DC stick and the EX2s I got from Amazon I've got a nice little collection started. I guess the only way to go from here is a HRAP, huh?

OK, Markman, So I read your review of the TAC PS2-to-PS3 converter and I'm still fuzzy on it. If I own the Tekken 5 Stick and want to play some games on the PS3, should I get that converter as the Pelican and Real ones are a fucking fortune and I'm not even remotely good at fighting games, I just play them for fun? Are we talking about a minuscule, barely noticeable lag or is it something I should pass on for now and wait for a better converter? How hard could it be to get a converter right? I've never seen Pelican ever make a decent third-party peripheral and THEY seem to have gotten it down pat.

Well the thing is, with the Pelican USB converter it was designed for use with GH1/2 so lag was a HUGE issue. The guy that helped design it was also a big fighting game fan, so you can kinda see why the Pelican converter ended up being as good as it did.

The REAL one will be made again after the Olympics (supposedly), so hang tight.

The TAC one does have lag, but honestly it is hard to tell if someone can 'feel' lag and input delays. I know I am VERY attune to it because it is something I test/look out for ALL the time now. So if there is very little/slight lag I will notice it and yes it will annoy me. It doesn't bother most people out there, but myself (and many fighting gamers/competitive gamers) will bring it up as a major flaw/issue.

I hope you found the review for the TAC helpful. For the most part it works. If you're playing fighting games on your PS3 it should be fine (T5DR, Battle Fantasia, VF5, SC IV, etc...)... If you're using backwards compatibility for PS1/PS2 games on your PS3 however, the lag might be a lot more obvious. There is mandatory 3 frame buffer lag for the video signal on the PS3 (ALL MODELS) when in BC mode. So it'll be 3 frames of lag + the slight 1-3 frames of lag on the TAC converter.

4-6 frames of lag might not seem like a lot. But in the fighting games I play, 4-6 frames is a big difference. Now before someone mentions stuff about the human eye/reacting to 4-6 frames is impossible, etc... It's not SEEING it... it is feeling it. If you can already do things that require frame specific timing and then immediately try it using something that lags, you WILL KNOW.

Sorry for the semi long post, I hope my explanations are helpful to you!

square gates should do it for most 3d fighters, although when UC Davis here has their Tekken:DR on a baseball top with octagonal gate, it just felt weird and also hard doing EWGF (f,N,d~d/f+2).

Also what's the deal on Tekken 6 comming out to US arcades? I heard the systems are really expensive and now arcade games just don't do as well as they used to back then. Meanwhile the game is already out in other countries, I guess the only way US will be getting it is by import?

Some nice pics to be found of the arcade settings for Tekken 6!

2311402633_393f67351b_o.jpg

For US arcades, Tekken 6 is import only. There will not be a full on release/distribution like there was for Tekken 5. :(

Arcades have already started importing them. There are currently about 15 arcades in the US that have Tekken 6 machines(or machines on the way).

Have you heard anything about a 360 version of Tekken 6 MarkMan, or was there some sort of deal with Sony?

[quote name='MarkMan']
Sorry for the semi long post, I hope my explanations are helpful to you![/QUOTE]

They really are! Thanks. :)

Since I still want to play Tekken 5 and SC 3 on the PS3, I guess I'll wait (especially if the Real ones are only 1-2 months away-- I never knew that).

I know it's not a stick, but what do you think of the Nubyteck Streetreet Fighter Anniversary pads? I picked up a couple on clearance a couple of years ago at Blockbuster (shortly before I traded in my PS2 for a PS3). Anyway, I thought for a fighting gamepad, it was pretty cool. If I get the PS2-to-PS3 converter, I might use that as well.

Street_Fighter_Anniversary_Controller.jpg

I have a couple of those Street Fighter pads and I hate them. That being said, they're pretty cheap so if you get one and don't like it, you're not out much money.

I'd recommend the PS2 Sega Saturn pads but they've shot up to ridiculous prices.

Whats the best bang for the buck stick out there for the 360? Would it be the Soul Calibur Fighting stick EX 2 at Amazon for Price: $51.79?

[quote name='ramatut4001']So I was inspired by the SCIV Stick thread and read through the stick thread at GAF and a few on SRK. I was in turn inspired to purchase this:
NamcoStickP8010005.jpg
Along with my Agetec DC stick and the EX2s I got from Amazon I've got a nice little collection started. I guess the only way to go from here is a HRAP, huh?[/QUOTE]

I love this stick too. I just replaced the buttons with some Sanwas because the old ones were worn, and I replaced the joystick switches with some new ones. It works great now, but I'd like to try to fit a Sanwa JLF in there at some point.

Anyone here have experience with the Hori Fighting Stick PS? I love mine but am thinking about selling it. Is it worth it to sell and go for the Namco Arcade Stick? I may just end up going for one of the Hori Pro's (maybe even the Street Fighter one). I'm more of a Street Fighter player but also enjoy Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

My issue is that the buttons on my Fighting Stick PS aren't arcade style and I don't know if that is a tough mod. Pics...

HORI_FSPS02.jpg

Buttons are raised...
HORI_FSPS03.jpg

I remember my friend having a namco stick. I don't think it was as sturdy and heavy as the Fighting Stick PS. If i could just mod mine then i think i would keep it :whistle2:k

This stick is definitely moddable. People have done it before. It's just going to be a bitch to fit in Sanwa buttons, you will most likely have to bend the prongs/connectors sideways in order to get the buttons to fit in.

It's a decent stick, but IMHO a Namco owns it in every possible way. I still have my Hori PS somewhere in a box in my stick room lol.

[quote name='ramatut4001']I've been looking at this: http://arcadestickmonk.com/asm-namco-sanwa-mod.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's where I got the inspiration to mod the Namco. The stock buttons are decent, but mine were worn. I'm going to attempt the stick replacement this week.

I replaced the PCB with a PS1 controller PCB since the old one wouldn't fit in there with the Sanwa buttons. And I had to bend the prongs sideways to get it to close fully.

[quote name='MarkMan']This stick is definitely moddable. People have done it before. It's just going to be a bitch to fit in Sanwa buttons, you will most likely have to bend the prongs/connectors sideways in order to get the buttons to fit in.

It's a decent stick, but IMHO a Namco owns it in every possible way. I still have my Hori PS somewhere in a box in my stick room lol.[/quote]

I know i've opened it before but never thought of trying japanese style buttons. None of the smaller USA buttons would work. lol.

markman: hey, where can i get a cheap 360 stick? i don't need top top quality but the hori sticks are good enough for me. =)

i keep forgetting to send out your shirt.
and whenever i see it, i keep thinking about how it supports domestic violence.

lolol... the cheapest for the 360 stick is like 51 or 53 on amazon, the SC IV stick.

If you can find it used at a GS you can get it for 29 i think.

Sadly, that is the only option for a stick on 360, unless you want the HRAP EX which costs A LOT, + shipping ;(

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

heh

for one, they changed it today back to $59

for two, it wasn't the amazon vendor, so i'd have to pay shipping which would probably be like a billion dollars. time to scope the GS's around here.

i really really wanna say f- it and get the HRAP EX though. no deals on that?

I found an HRAP EX off of akihabarashop for $213 shipped, pre-order. I can also finally get those Seimitsu buttons I wanted for the HRAP you got me. =)

I have a few friends going to Japan. I wonder...

$213 is a lot though. This month is tough. Stocking my bar + clothes shopping + planned end of the month BBQ = hell on the wallet.

213 is an alright price, I'd rather pay $145 tho :x

I wish they were readily available, the SDT homie Stridajin gets them in Japan and ships em out at cost + shipping. If you want it for that price try to get in touch with him when the HRAP EX is easily available. His contact info is on our site... one of the top articles.

I'm pretty tempted to pick up a DOA-4 style Hori stick and just replace the stick and buttons right from the get-go... that should leave me with a damn good piece of equipment.

The only question now is whether or not to swap the PS3 version of SC4 for the 360 one...

Aiiight. I shot stridajin an email. The email I got from Akihabarashop:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> HRAP.EX = 14990yen:
>> EMS: 7850yen
>>
>> Total: 22840yen
We will try and buy as many as possible but we do not know how many
we can get because it will be pretty limited.
According to Hori it will come middle of August so it is soon.
Yeah. I was thinking about getting an SC4 stick but then I'm like, hey, wait a minute. I'm a baller, I don't want any cheap crap! Still, the wrist pain from trying to do 236:B is killer.

@ Chac: I heard the mods for the stick were tough. At least, they'd be tough for me, because I have to buy tools and learn soldering.

blah, i'm impatient

SC4 stick it is for me!

i might pick up an HRAP EX still, if i can get a good price. and hopefully it's wired so i can use it on my PC and bam, i got two HRAPs for it~

I need to just freakin' learn to solder. It's preventing me from modding my systems on my own, and now it's keeping me from using fancy-pants buttons.

But I really don't want to wait for the SF IV stick to get something for the 360, so I think I might just get the SC IV one. Maybe swap out the art work if there's someone who I can pay to do it.

*points to link up there*

If you guys are interested I can ask him his current rate for parts mod + artwork.

Let me know.

I'll keep it in mind if I go ahead with this soon. I'm on a retro kick, so my moolas probably gonna be tied up for a while, but I wanna make this happen.

[quote name='MarkMan']*points to link up there*

If you guys are interested I can ask him his current rate for parts mod + artwork.

Let me know.[/quote]
Sure, thanks, I'd like to know, as well as the turnaround time.

Would I have to provide all the parts?
I'm not too concerned about artwork though. For all I care I can have a smiley face on it. =)

EDIT:
Actually, how about that dual PS1/360 mod for the HRAP he's got? That seems cool. The only gripe is that I'd have to ship my stick and I know that'll cost a lot =(

It'll cost about $10 to ship the stick in the continental US. But it won't be fast shipping. Via USPS.

Here are the quotes/rates I got from him.

Prices vary for labor/mod(Ex. usually $50 for Sanwa modding a EX2). You supply the parts. You can order parts from www.lizardlick.com as they get back pretty fast.

In general for any stick mod. Just pay for labor and parts(varies) & shipping (usually around $10).

[email protected] is his contact email. Tell him you heard about the mod stuff via MarkMan.

He can dual mod a PS3 HRAP3 for use with both 360 and PS3 or Sanwa mod your EX2 etc.. Just hit him up.

ahhhh those dumb jerks at gamestop lied to me

saying they had soul calibur sticks

and they didn't
:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back