CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my HRAP3 Amazon Japan Edition from Stridajin (took only 3 days to get here! [COLORADO]) and it is such a great stick! I won't do any modding for now, but I will probably mod the buttons to Sanwa in the future.

[quote name='Raymond']Anyone have this stick? And could comment on its quality?

http://www.xgaming.com/two-player.shtml[/QUOTE]

I have it and its not as durable as they say it is. My #2 joystick broke in less than a year of mild use. (#2 got used alot less than #1 too, go figure...). I found it OK with most newer MAME games, but for 4-way old school games, it sucked at registering the proper directions. Its also not very good for fighting games either, it just feels "off" to me. YMMV I guess.

In addition, it's almost usless as a 2 player stick unless you like getting very close to your opponent.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the sticks/buttons with Happs parts, but in reality I will probably be shelving it and buying the SFIV PS3 stick when it comes out.

The one thing I do like about the X-Arcade though is that it looks very clean and it reminds me of the few times I got to play an arcade game as a young lad, because of the American parts. Stuff like the HRAP has no nostalgia for me...

[quote name='Jest']And the big ones don't look bad when thrown into a cab. Saves a hell of a lot of work too.[/QUOTE]

I think they look retarded put in a cab. It totally kills me when I see that! And for home use, you could buy two arcade sticks separate for the same price. Or one really good stick if you want something more solid.

[quote name='Chacrana']The one thing I do like about the X-Arcade though is that it looks very clean and it reminds me of the few times I got to play an arcade game as a young lad, because of the American parts. Stuff like the HRAP has no nostalgia for me...[/quote]
The concave buttons remind me of the times when I used to hit buttons and feel pain. Thankfully we have convex buttons now.

The balltop gives me nostalgia too. Don't you remember?
advantag.jpg

[quote name='R1V3R5']I think they look retarded put in a cab. It totally kills me when I see that! And for home use, you could buy two arcade sticks separate for the same price. Or one really good stick if you want something more solid.[/quote]

Well you have to go and paint it it make it looks good. :p Kinda defeating the whole purpose I guess.

[quote name='Jest']Well you have to go and paint it it make it looks good. :p Kinda defeating the whole purpose I guess.[/QUOTE]

Oh, maybe you are right. I've seen them lazily slapped on top of a cab where the old controls once were. Sometimes there is even a gap between the old cab's controls and the x-arcade, it looks so ghetto.

That being said, I'd like to build or buy a candy-style cabinet strictly for Capcom fighters. It's a project I probably will not even start until I move back to Alabama, unfortunately.

[quote name='kainzero']The concave buttons remind me of the times when I used to hit buttons and feel pain. Thankfully we have convex buttons now.

advantag.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Dude, I still have an NES Advantage. Maybe I'll Sanwa mod it? :)

[quote name='kainzero']The concave buttons remind me of the times when I used to hit buttons and feel pain. Thankfully we have convex buttons now.

advantag.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Man, I never had that shit. The first arcade game I remember playing was a 4-slot Neo Geo cab that had Baseball Stars 2, Crossed Swords, Samurai Shodown 1 and Cyber-Lip. Interestingly, I never played Baseball Stars 2 ever, despite that being the only really worthwhile game on there. But that mothafucka had a bat-style stick. Ball-top was like "whoa, I've never used this shit before" back when I got my Tekken stick.

My first ballsy experience was with the NES advantage too. And Pac-Man and shit in arcades.

After SF II came out I got used to US style sticks, but when the SNES Street Fighter Capcom stick came out, I got used to balls again.

Balls all day.

NAMCO arcade stick balls.

I don't remember my first arcade game. Probably some old games like Pac Man or Galaga. I was completely obsessed with SF2 when it came out though.

My first stick was the NES Advantage, followed by the SNES Fighter Stick from Ascii. Played SF a bunch on it. Probably sucks ass now though. ;)
snesjoystick.jpg

After that I got a Namco PS1 stick, which is a great stock stick. That's the same one I modded, because it was so worn in from years of abuse. I bought the Tekken 5 Ultimate Edition for the stick, and later sold it on CAG to pay for my Namco stick upgrade. Now I have a pimped out Namco and my big custom wood Happ parts stick. That's it. I'll probably get an HRAP at some point too. I wanted to mod the Tekken stick, but it looked like a lot of work. :)

Just in case anyone wanted to see my HRAP3 Amazon Edition from Stridajin, here it is:

HRAP3001.jpg

HRAP3002.jpg

HRAP3003.jpg

HRAP3004.jpg

I usually don't play with sticks, the last stick I played with is the Tekken 5 stick. I found that it took me about 2 hours to fully get used to it, but it's totally worth it. I've been playing T5:DR, SC IV, and various MAME games such as SF III: Third Strike (My favorite fighting game) and MvC. I just won MvC2 on PS2 off eBay so I can't wait to use it for that!

Holy fuck, that looks nice. Granted, I'm changing most of what's in there, but I like how the white base looks and the buttons.

I feel justified in ordering that HRAP3 now.

I just gotta figure out exactly which piece of art I wanna use on mine, and then I can order my parts from akihabarashop and get the work I need done.

So excited.

Hmm... I hope my room this coming year has a decent desk or something that I can use for the stick... I usually just use that shit on my lap, but I want some place to prominently display this all the time.

I'm literally blown the fuck away by just how nice the Amazon edition looks.

I am going to mod my FS3 to have only 6 buttons. I wanted to get rid of the R1 and R2 buttons but I find the stick too close to the L1 and L2 buttons. Are most Hori or Japanese sticks in general like this?

EDIT: I wanted to make the button layout look like the HRAP3 minus L2 and L1 actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pootie Thang']I've been playing T5:DR, SC IV, and various MAME games such as SF III: Third Strike (My favorite fighting game) and MvC. I just won MvC2 on PS2 off eBay so I can't wait to use it for that![/QUOTE]

That's a sweet stick. I've been using my EX2 for 360 and MAME. There isn't a lot of 2D fighters right now on the 360 so my pc is getting the most attention. However, I just bought SF Anniversary Collection for the Xbox solely to play Third Strike as well. I love Third Strike.

When I get my stick, I fully intend to jump back into VF5 Online... I played so much of the Quest mode, but I never finished it, and I've always wanted to play that game with a real controller.

I wish they'd announce VF5 R for consoles, but if they haven't done that yet, who knows if they're planning on it at all.

I'm glad everyone likes it. I've wanted a high end stick for so long, I wish I could easily change the art, but that's not happening. Does anyone know what type of SANWA buttons fit in the HRAP3's and if it's easy to do? If not, I won't be switching the buttons.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I'm glad everyone likes it. I've wanted a high end stick for so long, I wish I could easily change the art, but that's not happening. Does anyone know what type of SANWA buttons fit in the HRAP3's and if it's easy to do? If not, I won't be switching the buttons.[/QUOTE]

You can use OBSF-30 buttons and they just snap in, apparently. Very easy.

God, I've just been scrolling through the pictures there over and over... it's unbefuckinlievable.

Well I was holding off on buying the parts for my stick, but it turns out that the dollar is actually a little stronger than I thought, so the cost of my shit was a little less than expected. Thus, I was convinced to purchase.

and I did.

So let's hope that find some art that works out.

Man, I would never do this if the next year for fighters weren't so mothafuckin' bright.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']how much was it if I may ask?

It looks so nice I'm contemplating planning on having one of those eventually.[/QUOTE]

$140 Shipped from MarkMan's friend Stridajin. He shipped it from Japan and it only took 2 1/2 days to arrive to Colorado! (Because of the time difference).

And does anyone know if these buttons will work? Thanks Chacrana for letting me know about the OBSF-30.

Seimitsu PS-14-KN 30mm Pushbutton with Vertical Microswitch
http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/pushbuttons.shtml (About 1/3 down the page)

I like the look of them a whole lot more.

I installed Seimitsu PS-14-KN buttons in the exact same stick for a friend of mine. It took about 15 minutes. Most of the time was spent opening the bottom panel of the stick and removing the nuts for the top panel lol.

Real easy. Although it's a bit tighter fit for Seimitsu buttons vs Sanwa. Not much of a diff though, they still fit in just fine. Just gotta add the extra umph.

I have a few arcade sticks, but nothing too fancy.

I have an X-Arcade Solo modded with bright green Happ Competition Buttons and an iL-8 Eurostick. I have adapters for the Gamecube/Wii, PS2, PS3, Dreamcast and PC. I like it for older fighters that don't have a double tap dash move. I grew up on Happ parts so it feels very natural for me.

I have 2 Hori Arcade Sticks for Wii, to accomodate all of the SNK love going on there. I love these sticks. The sticks have more resisatnace than the usual Japanese-style stick but not as much as an American-style stick.

I have 1 Hori FS 3, bought for $29.99 at Gamestop. (Advice: Check the out-of-the-way stores; they sometimes don't remember to change price tags.) It's taken awhile to get used to due to the looser stick but it's grown on me. I may get an HRAP 3 and pass this one on to my wife, but I'm tempted to wait and see if the SFIV stick is more appealing.

Trust me, the SF IV stick will be approximately 10239103482910982139201810938209138091 x more appealing than the Fighting Stick 3.

---

This is hot:

IMG_0056.JPG

[quote name='MarkMan']Trust me, the SF IV stick will be approximately 10239103482910982139201810938209138091 x more appealing than the Fighting Stick 3.

---

This is hot:

IMG_0056.JPG
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I bought my PS3 in preparation for SFIV. That makes an arcade stick seem like a minor purchase.

I just ended up getting 8 buttons from LizardLick.com They were the SANWA's. I got blue, violet, pink, green, and four whites. The colors will match the PS3 X, O, Square, and Triangle.

I opened up the HRAP3, it doesn't seem that bad. I even disconnected a button and put it back in and it works perfectly. I can't wait to get my buttons now. So this morning, I won an auction for MvC2 on PS2 through eBay, and I picked up SF: Anniversary Collection because of someone's post. Since it has my favorite fighting game, Street Fighter III, I'm happy that all I paid for it was $17 at Gamestop. It's practically new.

Pelican is the best one overall for PS1/PS2 controllers/sticks (with the fighting gamer in mind).

The REAL one performs just as well for digital signals only.

There are two other ones that haven't been thoroughly tested yet though. The Inpin (Korea) and some Japanese one.

I need a dual ps3/360 controller with all sanwa parts. Should I get a HRAP3, sanwa buttons and get a dual pcb? Or can you also mod a 360 ex2 stick with sanwa buttons and stick and get a dual pcb? I know that you can do all that to a HRAP3, but what about the ex2 because can the case fit the dual pcb? Also, if I got a HRAP EX could that be modded for dual pcb and are the buttons easy to replace with sanwas just like the HRAP3? I am trying desperately to avoid buying 2 seperate sticks if possible. Any modders feel free to pm me with price quotes. You can also email me at [email protected]

You can get dual PCB sticks from Arcade In A Box (Ed, the owner, just started doing PS3/360 sticks).

Or you can get one modded from good people like akuma001 here. You can't do it to an EX2 because of the PCB.

I would suggest going with an HRAP3 and dual modding that. Good luck with your decision though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back