CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Markman (or anyone who knows), how solid feeling is the Hori EX2? I dig the smaller form factor and it's cheaper than a HRAP, but if it feels cheap or flimsy, then I'll probably just suck it up and buy the HRAP...

It has solid construction, doesn't feel cheap at all. Just my two cents though. The only thing that feels cheap is da buttonz.

akuma001: I have a few SF IV posters :p

[quote name='Chacrana']Markman (or anyone who knows), how solid feeling is the Hori EX2? I dig the smaller form factor and it's cheaper than a HRAP, but if it feels cheap or flimsy, then I'll probably just suck it up and buy the HRAP...[/quote]
i got mine yesterday and played a few rounds.

the buttons kinda hurt compared to sanwas and i had a lot of trouble hitting the corners and my QCF / QCB. setsuka's 214~3 seemed really spotty but i don't know if it's the hori or me. the construction of the box is solid, but i like the heavy feel of the HRAP more.

i'd rather just get the HRAP EX at that price, i bet the PCB is better too. the hori EX2 was $60, plus akuma001 work, plus cost of parts, plus shipping easily put it over the price of the HRAP... the HRAP you can mod easily with no soldering required, you can put your seimitsu and sanwa buttons in there.

The HRAP EX buttons are easy to swap out, but the stick has the points soldered on. So swapping out the stick requires some solder work if you want to replace with another Sanwa or a Seimitsu.

I'd open up and rewire the HRAP EX anyways cuz of that stupid button layout.

The square gates on the ex2 and fs3 are also kinda cheap looking and feeling, but at the very least they're functional.

yeah if you're considering modding the ex2, cost of parts plus ex2 is about the same alone as buying the hrapex. i say just go with the ex if you can get it at the $129 price from arcadeshock.

i'd really try emailing them first to see what the deal is though. 129 is almost too good to be true especially if they have to get it from horistore like everyone else.

Well, the tough thing for me is if Ima have to get the HRAP EX modded anyway to get the Seimitsu stick in there, because I really wanna try using the LS-32... doubly so because I want to play shmups. But after that, I'd also wanna replace the Hori buttons.

That, and I think the cost of getting an EX2, getting parts, and then getting all the work done on it would be as much as getting the base HRAP EX, but I'd be left with a stick that has all the shit I want in it. The parts would cost like... 30, work is 50... so yeah, I guess shipping puts it slightly over the cost of a base HRAP, but still.

I'll get a HRAP for the PS3 down the road, but I think that if the box itself for the EX2 is solid, that's pretty much my decision made right there.

It's nice to have things to think about.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well, the tough thing for me is if Ima have to get the HRAP EX modded anyway to get the Seimitsu stick in there, because I really wanna try using the LS-32... doubly so because I want to play shmups. But after that, I'd also wanna replace the Hori buttons.

That, and I think the cost of getting an EX2, getting parts, and then getting all the work done on it would be as much as getting the base HRAP EX, but I'd be left with a stick that has all the shit I want in it. The parts would cost like... 30, work is 50... so yeah, I guess shipping puts it slightly over the cost of a base HRAP, but still.

I'll get a HRAP for the PS3 down the road, but I think that if the box itself for the EX2 is solid, that's pretty much my decision made right there.

It's nice to have things to think about.[/quote]
akuma was telling me that he only puts in LS-33's on EX2s because they're the only seimitsu's that fit, so...

[quote name='GuardianE']Hm, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Sexy as in stylistically, or sexy as in functionally? I was going to buy a Soul Calibur 4 Stick for my PS3, but I decided to wait for the SF4 stick that will inevitably be released.[/quote]

Markman, are you able to elaborate on any details regarding the SF4 stick?

The more I think about it, the more it seems dumb to spend this much on a stick for only the 360.... maybe the dual mod is the way to go for me, since I want a new stick for when BlazBlue and all that shit comes out on the PS3... then I'll be able to use this for whatever fighting game comes out... shame I can't use it for uhm... Castlevania: The Fighter or whatever it's called though (lawl).

So I'll probably be hitting up Stridajin or whatever his name was in a day or so, and see what I can do.

[quote name='GuardianE']Markman, are you able to elaborate on any details regarding the SF4 stick?[/quote]

No new details, sorry ;( Just know it will be good stuff.

[quote name='SmallWind']The current HRAP1/3s have a backplate doesn't have room to fit the ls-32.[/quote]

This is correct. You'll have to do some work to get a Seimitsu stick in a HRAP ver. B (Amazon.co.jp one is Ver. B) and the HRAP3. The original HRAP1 and HRAP2 had a special cross mounting plate that lets you easily put in a Seimitsu stick.

I see...

so then, I guess my last question on the matter is, what's the best option for people who want a Seimitsu stick in a HRAP3, and how would that compare to an LS-32? Maybe I'm better off just sticking with the Sanwa stick since I can't imagine that being anything but great, but yeah.

So many questions.

[quote name='MarkMan']No new details, sorry ;( Just know it will be good stuff.[/quote]

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll go ahead and wait for it. :)

I'm eager to hear news as it comes!

Tekken 5 is a good stock stick, one of the more decent ones out there. If I'd rank stock sticks that aren't HRAPs or include real arcade parts, I'd personally rank them like this:

1) Namco Arcade Stick (PS1)
2) Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick (DC)
3) Tekken 5 Anniversary Arcade Stick (PS2)
4) Hori Soul Calibur II Arcade Stick (PS2)
5) ASCII Dreamcast Fighting Stick FT (DC)

And those parts in that stick, look like Happ parts, if they're used/beat up, might not be worth $20... It really depends on which Happ parts they are. (Happ or IL)...

[quote name='Chacrana']I see...

so then, I guess my last question on the matter is, what's the best option for people who want a Seimitsu stick in a HRAP3, and how would that compare to an LS-32? Maybe I'm better off just sticking with the Sanwa stick since I can't imagine that being anything but great, but yeah.

So many questions.[/QUOTE]

um ls32 is a seimitsu stick. :p

to be honest i'm partial to sanwa parts. i just like how everything feels lighter for the joystick movement and the sensitivity of the buttons.

people like seimitsu for the shorter throw on the engage of the microswitches and the slightly heavier tension of the spring/microswitch combination. their buttons are not as sensitive as sanwa but have a flatter lower profile shape to them.

if it were me i'd just go with an hrap 2 and pelican converter if i wanted to put a seimitsu stick in there. hrap2 has the mounting bracket you want to fit in a seimitsu ls32 stick and you'd use the pelican for ps3. the thing is its hard to find hrap2 and pelican adapters at a decent price. :p

if you did decide on an hrap2, you can try the hrap2sa which already has the sanwa buttons installed. order from www.videogamecentral.com, i think they are a live cashback website so you can get an additional discount.

either way if you have any stick in the hrap series you won't be disappointed.

Okay, last question - I promise this time (for serious!):

If I went with the HRAP 3 Amazon edition, could I use the OBSF-30RG buttons and just snap those in without any difficulty, or would I only be able to use the OBSF-30s?

Yeah, you can use any 30mm button from Sanwa/Seimitsu and any 24mm buttons for the Start/Select. All you have to do is open up the stick and disconnect the QDs off the hori buttons and swap them out with the Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons. Just curious why get the RG buttons?

I feel special?

Lol, I dunno. I just assumed they were better... like more solid feeling than the regular OBSF-30s or something?

OBSF-30RG and OBSF-30s are identical in shape/size. The RG's are touted as the 'high end' button as they are designed to live/last longer. So yea they'll fit.

I have RGs on one of my old HRAPs.

Same feel, then? That's really what I was concerned about. If I haven't fucked up my Hori buttons in the Tekken stick after 2 years, I'm sure the regular OBSF-30 buttons will stand up to abuse long enough.

I forget which buttons were supposed to be squishier, was it Sanwa or Seimitsu?

I'm asking this because I remember that Seimitsu's are supposed to not last as long as Sanwa (I think), so I'd like to get the most life out of any buttons I get since I tend to smash my buttons like some kinda MVC2 nut or something.

I got seimitsu's on my custom, they definitely feel like they have more feedback (more springy) than playing on sanwas at the arcade.

I donno about being squishy tho...

anyways u guys gotta cheap ass style and make a joystick out of shoebox:

shoeboxry3.png

2nd time Ive seen this done btw!

nah... it just looked like a cinder block coz I used particle board and a bad paint job.

gotta use MDF with lots of coat of primer!

I prefer my X- Arcade stick solo. Playing street fighter 3 3rd strike on the PS3 with it is awesome and feels like it should. I have not however tried playing Soul Caliber IV with it yet but should try. The downer though is the cable mess it creates because you ahve to ahve the ps2 adapter on the x-arcade aswell as the ps3 adapter.

[quote name='E*Master']I prefer my puppy stick solo. Playing street fighter 3 3rd strike on the PS3 with it is awesome and feels like it should. I have not however tried playing Soul Caliber IV with it yet but should try. The downer though is the cable mess it creates because you have to have the ps2 adapter on the puppy as well as the ps3 adapter.[/quote]

Fixed. Puppy probably won't make you many friends in this thread :p

[quote name='E*Master']I prefer my X- Arcade stick solo. Playing street fighter 3 3rd strike on the PS3 with it is awesome and feels like it should. I have not however tried playing Soul Caliber IV with it yet but should try. The downer though is the cable mess it creates because you ahve to ahve the ps2 adapter on the x-arcade aswell as the ps3 adapter.[/quote]

That's good you enjoy it. Personally I wouldn't enjoy that setup. But that's just me. If you're comfortable with playing then keep rockin on.

The reason I have a problem with that setup is.

X-Arcade sticks aren't that good (at least from my experience, yes I do own one). Also playing Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike on the PS3 isn't something I enjoy since there is at least 3 frames of lag and video buffer when using the PS3 in backwards compatibility mode. So it doesn't play 'awesome and feels like it should.' But if you don't notice that, keep having fun.

I mena I have noticed a bit of lag but I got used to the timing. I still prefer using the x-arcade on my pc with nebula and cps-3 emulation :D

Nice, pretty much any PS2/PS3/360 arcade stick can work on PC now too.. You should check out GGPO as it's probably the best online fighting game experience you'll ever get.

I was looking to build a MAME arcade machine this summer but just didn't have the money. I'm thinking I'll just build my own stick to use on the PC and MAME here until I get the cash and space to build an up-right. Is there any way to build a pc/ps3 compatible controller from scratch with something like an i-pac? I'm going to hit the arcadecontrols.com forums to check right now if you guys can't help me.

Yes. The good ones do at least.

I use a Pelican and REAL and they work flawlessly with all my arcade sticks.

The REAL converter has issues with Dual Shock 2 controllers though.

Ok. From what I've seen it is much easier to mod a PS1 controller than a PS2 controller. I might just mod my FS3 with Sanwa buttons and some bat-top stick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back