CAG, DVDTalk, CC & Speedy's Ads

I hope everything goes alright man...

I understand CC's frustration and can understand the frustration of CAGs as well. I can't say I blame CC for taking action even as a long member and one that has taken advantage of the deals found on this forum.

I can understand Circuit City's point of view if the reason they're doing this is to protect the integrity of their ad. I used to work in retail years ago, and when you bring out an ad advertising a loss leader, but you don't have it in stock on Sunday, there ends up being hell to pay. I'm sure Circuit City has seen their share of damage over time from people buying up things way in advance and price matching once the ad becomes valid, only to leave the less aggressive bargain shoppers upset on Sunday when they rush out to the store.

That all being said I don't believe that's honestly the reason since as many have stated they never had a problem until the Sony incident. I doubt Speedy is going to end up in any real trouble, but the legal bills are still going to be something he doesn't deserve. Most likely they're doing this to learn how he was obtaining the information, and they'll want to put it in the backs of people's minds that it can be more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully some lawyer looking to get publicity will take on the case for free.

[quote name='CheapyD']
I can assure you that I am not "loving this thing". I would much rather not be involved. Am I losing sleep over it? No, not yet. However, I bet Speedy is and that really fucking sucks. Hopefully, everything turns out alright for Speedy and the biggest side-effect of this ordeal is extra traffic to CAG and some extra cash in my pocket. Knowing what legal fees can run...that last part seems unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I guess I shouldn't really have said you were "loving this thing" rather that its not all bad news for you, on the other hand you make a great point. Since you are doing the stand-up thing and hiring a lawyer to fight rather than just throw up your arms and pointing at Speedy the extra ad revenue is gonna get eaten up by legal fees anyway.

At any rate, like I said before, this whole thing involves you, Circuit City, and Speedy. It ain't my business really and I'm reserving any final opinions on the whole thing until its settled.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Has anyone else's paper been missing the CC ad the last two weeks?[/quote]

I am lucky if I get a CC flyer once a month now. :( Its always been patchy for me, thats why I LOVED what Speedy did for all of us.

Hope Speedy, CAG, & DVD Talk come out ok after this.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Be sure to transcribe for those of us who don't listen to it.[/QUOTE]

If you're too lazy to listen to the CagCast, you don't deserve to get in on what's being said.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']If you're too lazy to listen to the CagCast, you don't deserve to get in on what's being said.[/QUOTE]

Shrike already told me, so STFU.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Shrike already told me, so STFU.[/QUOTE]

Geez, you're testy. Next time don't leave your petard hanging out.

We want to stand united behind Speedy for the work he's done and what he's contributed to CAG over the years. Side and personal issues aren't gonna help. So Heavy Hitter and Cochese, please stay on track and true to the spirit of this thread.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Maybe Speedy should just PM the ads to the people that actually take the time to read the threads in the first place.

Because, from looking at the VGD forum, I think there's a grand total of about twenty people who don't rush here Sunday morning and try to tell us what's in the ads.[/quote]:rofl:

Speedy thanks for everything you have done. After this fiasco there is no way I'm going to be shopping at CC anymore and I'll just price match everything at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

I hope everything turns out alright and people donate if need be.

I love how everyone's conveniently forgetting all the shit Best Buy has pulled through the years. Especially with regard to this site and bargain-seekers in general. But I guess Circuit City is the evil flavor of the month now so they're much easier to hate.

So I realize future CC ad postings are gonna be put on hold as will any other store ads due to speedy's legal issues, but does that mean we will not be able to post the current weekly ads, possibly by another poster, on the Sunday the ads go into effect? Though it was great to be able to plan accordingly weeks ahead of time, I'm sure plenty of others do not subscribe to the Sunday papers, so it'd be great to still be able to see what's on sale during the current week.

yeah i knew about BB as well. but the only reason i check their stores would be the frontlane stuff. where they have those $4.99 games. i don't bother looking at the rest of their merch, i just look at Target instead.

if the time comes i'll look at CC from time to time but not buy from them. heck, TRU is giving boatloads of clearance games right now, compared to them.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So I realize future CC ad postings are gonna be put on hold as will any other store ads due to speedy's legal issues, but does that mean we will not be able to post the current weekly ads, possibly by another poster, on the Sunday the ads go into effect? Though it was great to be able to plan accordingly weeks ahead of time, I'm sure plenty of others do not subscribe to the Sunday papers, so it'd be great to still be able to see what's on sale during the current week.[/QUOTE]IIRC, didn't someone else used to post the Sunday ads early? It wasn't ridiculously early, like speedy, but was still early. Plus, I think some people get Sunday ads with their Saturday paper; I'm sure someone could probably still post them before Sunday morning.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']IIRC, didn't someone else used to post the Sunday ads early? It wasn't ridiculously early, like speedy, but was still early. Plus, I think some people get Sunday ads with their Saturday paper; I'm sure someone could probably still post them before Sunday morning.[/QUOTE]

Atlanta does, I know for sure.

Talk about Deja vu

Pre release black friday ads and Dell suing 22 Confessions of a Former Dell Sales Manager

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']IIRC, didn't someone else used to post the Sunday ads early? It wasn't ridiculously early, like speedy, but was still early. Plus, I think some people get Sunday ads with their Saturday paper; I'm sure someone could probably still post them before Sunday morning.[/quote]TSD posted them for a while, a week early, maybe?

RvB, as soon as Best Buy tries to sue someone on CAG for helping us get the scoop on deals, I'll see about boycotting them as well. Though if it everyone starts suing, I guess we better hope we have a good relationship with Amazon. :lol:

In order to post ads in the future, all that needs to be done is have the ads PM'd/emailed (if PMs are archived/not legally protected) to a different someone every week, and that person posts the ads. CC can sue me all day long, but I wouldn't have any info to give them, nor would I ever make claims as to the veracity of the info I was posting.

[quote name='botticus']TSD posted them for a while, a week early, maybe?

RvB, as soon as Best Buy tries to sue someone on CAG for helping us get the scoop on deals, I'll see about boycotting them as well. Though if it everyone starts suing, I guess we better hope we have a good relationship with Amazon. :lol:

In order to post ads in the future, all that needs to be done is have the ads PM'd/emailed to a different someone every week, and that person posts the ads. CC can sue me all day long, but I wouldn't have any info to give them, nor would I ever make claims as to the veracity of the info I was posting.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was thinking about a group-available username that we all could switch around using when the ads get posted. Let's see them try to figure out ten different IPs.

-Also, have the stores have fictitious names and be off on everything by a penny. Let's see them sure over that.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Actually, I was thinking about a group-available username that we all could switch around using when the ads get posted. Let's see them try to figure out ten different IPs.

-Also, have the stores have fictitious names and be off on everything by a penny. Let's see them sure over that.[/quote]That would work, though someone would have to handpick the people with access to it... don't want it to be totally public and let random schmucks edit and delete posts.

[quote name='botticus']That would work, though someone would have to handpick the people with access to it... don't want it to be totally public and let random schmucks edit and delete posts.[/QUOTE]

It would probably be those of us who have been around here for awhile, and actually participated in the threads.

Whoever would be the one getting the ads, they could email them to me and I could distribute them thusly.

Do you guys think that maybe talking like that openly may not be helping with the matter at hand? There are still legal matters pending.

Well, I hope everything turns out all right, Speedy. And I think CheapyD deserves a thanks from all of us for immediately sticking up for him.

Thanks, guys!

:grouphug:

[quote name='Levizk']Hopefully some lawyer looking to get publicity will take on the case for free.[/quote]

Like, say...Jack Thompson?

:p

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, we were throwing a lot of woulds and coulds around. Not to mention we were referring to the Sherbert City ads.[/quote]

and the ones for Tart Fry, and bullseye.

Guess CC was successful, in that this stopped the ads from being posted.

Does anyone know a deal site still posting them?

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, we were throwing a lot of woulds and coulds around. Not to mention we were referring to the Sherbert City ads.[/quote]
:lol:

It's like ice cream, only...not.

[quote name='botticus']Not to mention we were referring to the Sherbert City ads.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you just tainted the good name of Sherbert like that. :lol:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I love how everyone's conveniently forgetting all the shit Best Buy has pulled through the years. Especially with regard to this site and bargain-seekers in general. But I guess Circuit City is the evil flavor of the month now so they're much easier to hate.[/quote]
Best Buy has more than made up for their faults over the past year or two, in regards to deals and so forth. Hell, I buy most of my games from them now, while going to Gamestop is a once in a month affair.

Just adding my thanks to Speedy, I really hope your legal issues work out.

In some ways I'm glad the adds don't get posted any more, hopefully means I'll buy less games, I think I'll just wait for stuff to turn up as an Amazon DOTD unless I really want it.

It's certainly gonna stop me going into CC anymore, I'm not boycotting it particularly but I don't get the adds in a paper and I'll forget to look them on the Internetz on a Sunday morning. Be too late to beat the hoarders by then anyway.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Actually, I was thinking about a group-available username that we all could switch around using when the ads get posted. Let's see them try to figure out ten different IPs.

-Also, have the stores have fictitious names and be off on everything by a penny. Let's see them sure over that.[/quote]I like those thoughts. Hypothetically, of course.

[quote name='xmrblondex']and the ones for Tart Fry, and bullseye.[/quote] I believe the
icontarget.gif
is trademarked, so one would possibly have to think of another name for that sorta store.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I can't believe you just tainted the good name of Sherbert like that. :lol:[/quote]Not at all. Sherbert City has been around for a while. They have a great selection of frozen delicacies. Occasionally they get the odd assortment of video games. But don't confuse them with any other retailer. Because they're more in the Food Industry.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Why not just wait until ads are officially released?[/QUOTE]
Because then you can't plan ahead of where to pick something up or if you should wait on such and such game/system because of a sale in two weeks.

Not to mention it becomes a lot of effort for someone to transcribe all that information when someone can just browse to it on the various sites.

I also just wanted to throw in my thanks to Speedy. Without his advanced info it becomes harder to compile who is getting what store exclusives on DVDs and the occasional videogame extra. Without the info Speedy has provided these past couple years I might not have ended up buying multiple copies of some DVDs from various retailers inorder to obtain the most complete extras for said movie. I also would never have stepped foot into another Circuit City, at least before the new one was built here, considering the old one was located about 30 minutes away and in the ghetto. I made several trips there because of Speedy's info alone. With information Speedy has shared I have been able to hang onto alot more money and plan out my purchasing sometimes 2 weeks in advance since I knew who seemed to have the best deal, and so I'd be able to make the purchase on release week. Best of luck to Speedy, CAG, and DVDTalk in fighting this or getting it settled. Much like the press, you've got to protect your informants/sources!!!!

I'll make sure I stay away from CC and get anything they have the best deal on pricematched at Best Buy until this mess clears up.

Watergate?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Ahh, indeed I did. My best guess would be due to the "major" media picking up on these price drops now before stores (such as CC) want to let it be known. I just don't see what CC stands to lose here. They are getting more sales from this free advertisement. If anything, this will only hurt them. I know I won't be shopping there anymore (not like I did anyway).[/quote]

But see, by advertising the price drop info in advance and the media coverage it suddenly received, it may have HURT sales of PS3s @ the $599.99 pricetag. And really, to some another $100 may not be much, but multiply that by the multitudes of potential sales which may have been put off till the price cut(more like a clearance actually) and you have quite a significant number.

So, from CC and Sony's perspective, I can kinda see why they wouldn't have wanted that info posted early. Mind ya, I dislike CC as it is and only grab clearance titles from them or cheap DVDs when I DO shop there, but if it's a choice of making or losing millions, I can see their point behind NOT wanting this info leaked early.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But see, by advertising the price drop info in advance and the media coverage it suddenly received, it may have HURT sales of PS3s @ the $599.99 pricetag. And really, to some another $100 may not be much, but multiply that by the multitudes of potential sales which may have been put off till the price cut(more like a clearance actually) and you have quite a significant number.

So, from CC and Sony's perspective, I can kinda see why they wouldn't have wanted that info posted early. Mind ya, I dislike CC as it is and only grab clearance titles from them or cheap DVDs when I DO shop there, but if it's a choice of making or losing millions, I can see their point behind NOT wanting this info leaked early.[/quote]Theoretically a sound point, but when they're only selling 80,000 systems a month (~20,000 a week), the tiny fraction of the potential buyers at the $599 price point in that two week period who would have been privy to the advance notice, thereby delaying their purchase would probably have numbered in, I don't know, triple digits? Subtract from that number those who would have pricematched their purchase following the actual announcement of the price drop (not sure whose pocket the money for a pricematch based on a reduced MSRP comes out of), and you're really looking at pretty insignificant numbers.

Welcome to two weeks ago.

Anyway, what really seems to be gist of this craziness is that the attacking parties are only going on "theoretical" numbers and really most of us are of the belief that Sony and CC were not going to sell any significant number of $599.99 PS3s in that less-than-a-week-and-a-half period prior to E3.

In fact, I think a lot of us can agree that anyone immediately on the fence about PS3s would've already been waiting until after E3 before making any kind of purchase decision regardless of the ad leak. I seriously doubt there's that many soccer moms and other clueless folk that are going to walk in oblivious of gaming to make a $600 impulse purchase. A lot of this is bruised egos and damage control to me.

This sucks because CC and Speedy went well, very well. Got plenty of games and DVDs half off thanks to Speedy.

Even if people did wait for the PS3 drop, surely anyone who didn't would have just PM'd the new price and got there $100 back (Wombat made this point on this weeks CAGcast).

I assume CC relies on people being too lazy/stupid to do that, fairly safe bet I suppose.

Guys, this is how retail works.

Circuit City buys say 100 PS3s (just throwing a number out there for simplicity) for close to retail (video game consoles have no margin) for say $585.00 each. They sell them for $599.99. People buy them, then price match them later and they give back $100.00. They now lose $85.00.

Circuit City buys 100 PS3s for $585.00 each, they sell for $599.99. A price drop kicks in and they are now $499.99. They get a credit back to adjust their cost after the date of the drop. Cost is still $585 on the ones they own. They then get a kickback from Sony to keep the same margin (sometimes a little less) on the PS3.

The price adjustment is pure lost $, cost of doing business. The ones sold after the date of the pricedrop are profitable.

That's how retail works.

On another note, now I hate CC and BB, what to do in Connecticut. haha

First of all, good luck to speedy.

Now to the whole issue. I don't think it would've been such a problem but we've got a major hoarding problem. I've managed to pick up less games this year than I could in the last two years. Everytime I go into CC or BB these days, they've been cleared out. I'll get, "Some guy came in with a list at opening and bought every copy he could get his hands on." This has happened the last 2 clearances I tried to hit up. And even better is the CAG approved tactic of buying the games early and then getting the price match. You think the store manager doesn't get complaints from customers about how none of the advertised games are ever in the store? You don't think they eventually put 2 + 2 together especially when the culprit leaves a printout with all the clearance games on them?

We have no one to blame but ourselves. We've used every little trick to squeeze every last cent out of the retailers and now they're fighting back. I'm sure the fatwalleteers are more to blame but I've heard many stories on CAG about how people are proud to be hoarders. These few are the bad apples that have stained CAG's reputation among the retailers.

bread's done
Back