CAG, DVDTalk, CC & Speedy's Ads

[quote name='alive741']Guys, this is how retail works.[/quote]I don't think that anyone here is denying that any retail outlet should make a profit. That's the entire point of bidness, that's how they provide jobs for thousands of people across the country and if they did NOT make a profit, there would be no more store for us to shop in.

Without knowing (or wanting to know) the specifics of how Speedy has been able to provide us the upcoming sales or if any breach of confidentiality has occured, we are offering solidarity in not throwing him over to fend for himself. Because we appreciate what he's contributed; an intelligent way of budgeting our expendable income on the games we're dying for and even those we're only mildly interested in.

When we know Ultimate Lawn Mower X will be on sale for $10 less in a week, why should we buy it now? We'd have to spend more money on petrol to get BACK to the store for a price match, and the store has to staff more people to check out our purchases the first time and then a SECOND time for CS personnel to perform the price match.

One would think they have more productive and profitable transactions to staff for. One would think this is a more effecient model they would embrace. One would think they'd be happy to sell more games and reach a larger client base this way.

Because you and I, when given the option of buying multiple games at a lower price point, versus one game at full price, we will pick multiple less-expensive games every time. We still will buy a game we're dying for at full MSRP now and again. But the majority of our game collections are picked up at 10% off, BOGO or BTGO, clearance, new universal price drops, et cetera.

With the new retailers selling exclusively online, with ebay and the interwebs in general as a great resource for finding deals on everything (example: Who here has even spoken with a Travel Agent lately? that career line is almost non-existant today because of the changes in technology), the consumer has changed drastically over the years. Retailers who fail to recognize these trends are the retailers who are no longer making the profits they did once upon a time.

Who would have thought BlockBuster would be hemorrhaging cash and assets? For them to get back on their feet, they could go wagging a finger at Netflix saying'how dare you infringe on our territory in a more cost-and-overall effecient manner.' They could stomp their collective foot at Wal-Mart, Target and other online and B&M retailers who sell DVDs so cheap that many people now shell out a few dollars more than a weeks' rental to own a movie they may never have even seen. All this would accomplish Nothing.

Swallow that pride, recognize you're no longer the king of movie rentals for a reason. Revise the business model, learn from your own failures and the success of Netflix and other retailers and attempt a drastic revamp. Or shut down shop with debts, firm in the knowledge that once upon a time everyone had to go to you for their movies. Because that's going to take you real far in business today.

But hey, what do I know? I'm only the one spending money in your stores.

Picked up my copy of DOA4 for $19.99+tax today, after a bit of waiting. Turns out the UPC on the flyer is for the PC games, so it took a bit of searching by CC employees to find the XBox360 code, which they never did. Instead they just manually knocked off $10. Got the Non-GH copy too :).

As for Speedy/CC, the issue hasn't amounted to much aside from CAGs choosing sides. Need I remind you all that taking sides and not shopping at CC does NOTHING for Speedy, we've all done nothing but bicker at one another on whether or not we're affecting CC's sales.

WHO fuckING CARES. A fellow CAG is the one that needs our help. Instead of not spending your money at CC, why not donate to helping Speedy's cause. I'd rather see a lawyer defend Speedy successfully than us attempting to hurt CC's bottom line and Speedy paying the price from our lack of unity.

Shop at CC, be a CheapAssGamer to the core, it's what we are, it's what unites us. But rally behind Speedy, rally behind the effort to support him, a single man, a single CAG. Boycotting CC is NOT doing that, but donating to a "Save Speedy" fund (if one exists, or if donating is your thing) will.

Thank CheapyD for jumping to Speedy's defense, and help out. Rally behind Speedy and CheapyD, and let's fight this as a community...not in CC's bank account or store floors, but in court, where the REAL FIGHT is, and the REAL CONSEQUENCES WILL BE DEALT.

~HotShotX

[quote name='depascal22']First of all, good luck to speedy.

Now to the whole issue. I don't think it would've been such a problem but we've got a major hoarding problem. I've managed to pick up less games this year than I could in the last two years. Everytime I go into CC or BB these days, they've been cleared out. I'll get, "Some guy came in with a list at opening and bought every copy he could get his hands on." This has happened the last 2 clearances I tried to hit up. And even better is the CAG approved tactic of buying the games early and then getting the price match. You think the store manager doesn't get complaints from customers about how none of the advertised games are ever in the store? You don't think they eventually put 2 + 2 together especially when the culprit leaves a printout with all the clearance games on them?

We have no one to blame but ourselves. We've used every little trick to squeeze every last cent out of the retailers and now they're fighting back. I'm sure the fatwalleteers are more to blame but I've heard many stories on CAG about how people are proud to be hoarders. These few are the bad apples that have stained CAG's reputation among the retailers.[/quote]

Excellent post.

Very few people seem willing or able to see the other side to this whole thing. Once again, legal action should be a last resort, but maybe they tried to resolve this before it got to this point? I'm sure there are details that none of us are aware of and will never be privy to. All I know is that if I had info from my business coming out before I authorized it, I'd want to know how the hell it happened and it wouldn't matter what the info was or if it "benefitted me" in the eyes of others.

Either way, good luck to you.

[quote name='depascal22']First of all, good luck to speedy.

Now to the whole issue. I don't think it would've been such a problem but we've got a major hoarding problem. I've managed to pick up less games this year than I could in the last two years. Everytime I go into CC or BB these days, they've been cleared out. I'll get, "Some guy came in with a list at opening and bought every copy he could get his hands on." This has happened the last 2 clearances I tried to hit up. And even better is the CAG approved tactic of buying the games early and then getting the price match. You think the store manager doesn't get complaints from customers about how none of the advertised games are ever in the store? You don't think they eventually put 2 + 2 together especially when the culprit leaves a printout with all the clearance games on them?

We have no one to blame but ourselves. We've used every little trick to squeeze every last cent out of the retailers and now they're fighting back. I'm sure the fatwalleteers are more to blame but I've heard many stories on CAG about how people are proud to be hoarders. These few are the bad apples that have stained CAG's reputation among the retailers.[/quote]

Actually, in the case of the 2006 July 4th clearance/sale, I snagged Monster Hunter, Mercenaries and a few others about a week PRIOR to the sale AT the sale price already, so no need to PM after the sale officially started.

As for hoarding, I did that with guides and ONLY guides, though I did buy up ALL the remaining copies of Psychonauts(Xbox) from my local Kmart, all TWO of them. I traded one and have ONE spare, so yeah.....I'm a BAD HOARDER.

However, I do get sick when I try to find XYZ game, only to be told that some idiot came in and cleaned out the store. I got SUPER LUCKY with Beatmania during the BB clearance and was happy enough to pass THOSE onto a local shop for all the deals I got from their shop over the past couple years.

Why didn't I trade/sell them here? Because many would've probably wanted me to do them for $10 shipped and the Beatmania bundles were HUGE boxes, so I'd have LOST money.

Either way, I'm here in spirit for this support Speedy thing, but financially, I'm still a cheapass. Sorry...

Reading the CC complaint is quite interesting. I am amused that they keep going back to the point that they were put at a competitive disadvantage due to the PS3 price cut being leaked. If it were a sale, it's one thing, but the information was noted for all three retailers we report on (and by extension, all retailers nationwide). It's unclear to me where the disadvantage lies.

I also think they'll have a hard time claiming $15000+ in damages, since the damages would only be $100 per lost sale prior to the price break (ignoring pricematching), meaning they're looking at 1500+ sales for Circuit City in a week. When the PS3 was selling around 20,000 a week nationwide.

[quote name='HotShotX']I'm leaning towards three options:

1. CAG mass mails them letters (real ones, not email), about their anger.
2. Outright boycott of Circuit City.
3. Price Matching the really hard hitting BB or Wal-Mart ads, and not the "save some cash ones" (anyone recall the Avatar Season 1 DVD set ad error for $12.95? Retails at $55).

It may not be much, but I imagine the loss of 100,000 customers will hit home at some point.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HotShotX']As for Speedy/CC, the issue hasn't amounted to much aside from CAGs choosing sides. Need I remind you all that taking sides and not shopping at CC does NOTHING for Speedy, we've all done nothing but bicker at one another on whether or not we're affecting CC's sales.

WHO fuckING CARES.
~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Alrighty then. That took what, two weeks?

[quote name='speedracer']Alrighty then. That took what, two weeks?[/quote]

A lot shorter than that, I posted that reply elsewhere on CAG earlier than here. But what is your point, would you prefer I continuously rant about how much I'm going to affect CC's sales by punching their floor manager, or would you prefer we support Speedy as we should have been doing from the get-go?

Hell, it's not like I keep funding a war while New Orleans is still in shambles. What's the latest on bin Laden, might I ask? Off-Topic, I know, but your loyalty as a CAG is not determined by sticking to the side you initially picked in anger.

Your loyalty as a CAG is determined by doing the right thing, and that is to support Speedy.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']A lot shorter than that, I posted that reply elsewhere on CAG earlier than here. But what is your point, would you prefer I continuously rant about how much I'm going to affect CC's sales by punching their floor manager, or would you prefer we support Speedy as we should have been doing from the get-go?

Hell, it's not like I keep funding a war while New Orleans is still in shambles. What's the latest on bin Laden, might I ask? Off-Topic, I know, but your loyalty as a CAG is not determined by sticking to the side you initially picked in anger.

Your loyalty as a CAG is determined by doing the right thing, and that is to support Speedy.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Why is your assumption that deciding not to buy from CC also means not supporting Speedy at the same time? Like you even state, supporting Speedy is the important part, yet you yourself are deliberately placing people into two camps.

it should be:
1. support Speedy
2. whether one shops at Circuit City: whatever

I have a feeeling that you'll be agreement, but no reason to be divisive about it, right?

[quote name='greydt']Why is your assumption that deciding not to buy from CC also means not supporting Speedy at the same time? Like you even state, supporting Speedy is the important part, yet you yourself are deliberately placing people into two camps.

it should be:
1. support Speedy
2. whether one shops at Circuit City: whatever

I have a feeeling that you'll be agreement, but no reason to be divisive about it, right?[/quote]
I think you're pulling from two different posts. In my post when this originally hit, I was all for a boycott/mortaring of CC. However, soon after that I realized this isn't about CC, but supporting Speedy, hence my change in stance.

speedracer made the comparison of my two posts, and a comment about how quickly my change was, when it truth it was more than he assumed, since the post I made here was a copy of the VGD post I made a few days earlier.

All jargon aside, the post can be summed up as the following:

1. Support Speedy, support a fellow CAG in need.
2. Be a CAG, and shop where your CheapAss takes you (I myself got DOA4 from CC yesterday for $20).

I don't want people taking sides and wasting time over whether or not we're doing damage to CC, I want CAGs united behind protecting one of their own. Shopping at CC does nothing to hinder or empower his case.

~HotShotX

From post number 40 something of this thread:
[quote name='NWgamer666'] Motion to quash[/quote]

The CAG attorney has my stamp of approval, for what that's worth. Now CC's attorney's are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding whether it is going to be worth the time and money to refile the subpoena, figure out what the hell district court has foreign jurisdiction, and hire a process server in fucking Japan.

I'm now gonna read the CC complaint and see if my hunch is right, that CC's attorney put a shoddy complaint together because they underestimated the reslove of CAG to fight the subpoena, and figured Cheapy would just roll over.

[quote name='HotShotX']I think you're pulling from two different posts. In my post when this originally hit, I was all for a boycott/mortaring of CC. However, soon after that I realized this isn't about CC, but supporting Speedy, hence my change in stance.
[/QUOTE]

Post #151: "Boycotting CC is NOT doing that, but donating to a "Save Speedy" fund (if one exists, or if donating is your thing) will."

One does not preclude the other.

[quote name='NWgamer666']From post number 40 something of this thread:

The CAG attorney has my stamp of approval, for what that's worth. Now CC's attorney's are going to have to make some tough decisions regarding whether it is going to be worth the time and money to refile the subpoena, figure out what the hell district court has foreign jurisdiction, and hire a process server in fucking Japan.

I'm now gonna read the CC complaint and see if my hunch is right, that CC's attorney put a shoddy complaint together because they underestimated the reslove of CAG to fight the subpoena, and figured Cheapy would just roll over.[/QUOTE]

I read through the complaint. It's you typical, boiler-plate complaint that's filed in any civil action. It was probably done by some fresh out of law school, big shot wannabe, attorney who just cut and pasted it together.

You would think that a corporation such as Circuit City would have a clue about how to get proper service on a corporation based in another state. It seems to me the complaint and subpoena are just a means to get Speedy's information so that can harass him and threaten him with all sorts of legal action to stop posting the ads, and give up HIS source for the ads so they can do the same thing to that person.

[quote name='greydt']Post #151: "Boycotting CC is NOT doing that, but donating to a "Save Speedy" fund (if one exists, or if donating is your thing) will."

One does not preclude the other.[/quote]

Why is your assumption that deciding not to buy from CC also means not supporting Speedy at the same time? Like you even state, supporting Speedy is the important part, yet you yourself are deliberately placing people into two camps.

I get what you're saying now, but I believe you mistunderstood me. I'm not trying to place CAGs into two seperate camps, they already are, on whether CAGs should stop shopping at CC or not.

I'm trying to point out that neither of those camps support Speedy at all, since CC's future sales have nothing to do with Speedy's case in the legal system, and that we need to unite behind him in order to support him...our actions for or against CC do nothing to support Speedy, I want the CAGs to see that.

Unless your original post has a typo somewhere, what it boils down to is this:
Buying/Not Buying from CC has no relation to Supporting/Not Supporting Speedy.

Which is the point I was trying to make in the first place after realizing that mortaring CC does nothing to support Speedy. Hope that clears things up.

~HotShotX

If you really want to help speedy, here's a way for you to do it:

If for some reason, God forbid, that speedy loses his fight and is exposed and required to pay a fine or is fired from wherever he works, he will need help in re-establishing his life. To do this, you can donate.

You can donate, right now, to speedyfund @ gmail . com (remove spaces). I did not establish this as a premium account, so you can't send CC payments as of right now.

If you don't want to contribute, no one will hold it against you. We all know how hard it is to get by in our lives as it is, but if you have any spare funds you would like to donate, please do so.

Please make it a minimum of a $5 donation, please.

If speedy comes through all of this unscathed, then the funds will be distributed to a charitable cause of his choosing, or if he declines, then it will go to the Children's Miracle Network care of Speedy and CAG (and DVDTalk if they choose to help out). As for oversight, I will keep a couple of other longtime members here apprised of the account on a regular basis.

So, it's said talk is cheap. Here's a chance to prove everyone wrong.

Disclaimer: This is not affiliated with CAG Productions, LLC.

[quote name='CheapyD']I would recommend discussing this with speedy before soliciting funds on his behalf.[/quote]

Agreed. With Speedy's blessing, I've got $20 set aside for the fund, once we get a CAG/Speedy sanctioned PayPal going. As for the charity, I'd prefer to see it go to Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/), but I agree with it being Speedy's choice.

Either way, good luck to Speedy and CAG's Defense.

~HotShotX

Yea, a fund just for paying speedy in the event of an unfavorable decision could only be started post decision, not now, as we have no way of A) contacting him (I assume) and B) it may disclose his location/identify him.
Good sentiments thought.
However, Cheapy likely is aware he could set up a legal fee donation fund, but that is a bit of work to set up, and also may not be needed in the event of an extremely favorable decision.

If it's not needed, you can throw the funds towards some kegs or a couple bottles of bubbly. There's nothing better than a good party after you've beat the man. Good luck, Speedy.

I've been in semi-regular contact with him, and we've discussed a few things. This was not one of them, it was of my own volition.

However, by speaking to him, he's genuinely concerned for his well-being. While it's nice that people would be willing to boycott a corporation, it really does nothing to stop them from their legal actions, nor would it stop them from asking for recouping their 'lost sales.'

I'm planning on having a lengthy discussion with him over the weekend, and if he doesn't approve I will delete my post and delete the account.

Personally, I don't agree with Child's Play. It's a great cause, but money is spent in much better ways such as keeping these children's hospitals staffed. If you haven't noticed, more and more hospitals are deleting their children's units due to doctors not being able to/not wanting to afford the growing malpractice insurance costs connected to taking care of very sick kids. In some cases, you have hospitals that are the primary care centers for people that are 500 miles away, because of a combination of available beds and Medicare (Medicare does not cross state lines. If you live in Georgia, you have to be treated by a hospital in Georgia unless under VERY extreme circumstances, even if you're only an hour away from a similar unit in another state).

It's great to keep kids entertained while they are there, but I'm more concerned about keeping them alive. That's why I chose CMN as the backup to whatever Speedy would want to do.

Donating to a Paypal account that is in my name (with my address and phone number, and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon) does not reveal his location.

I disagree with the notion of setting up a CAG Legal Defense fund, because it gives the impression we're going to be in trouble with the law as a community.

But, it all may be a moot point. He's basically become an outsider at DVDT, I'm glad the same has not been said here.

Shrike- That case cited in the article article seems distinctly different from what's going on here, as that case was about an e-mail being sent to a blogger, who in turn published the facts in question, as opposed to a forum member who essentially publishes the material himself.

IIRC, California also has strong state journalism sheild laws, and I am uncertain as to what NY or whatever state this site is hosted from's journalism sheild laws are.

All the more reason to champion for a federal journalist sheild law. The publishing of facts must not be subject to persecution.

Keep digging, there must be a case regarding forum posting of controversial material.

Edit: nevermind anarchist blogger reference, that is counter to my argument.

This has been an interesting topic. To get better acquainted and more knowledgable on the issue, I plowed back a ways on here and DVDT. A couple of things I've noticed -

Some people seem to be shocked that speedy could be in trouble for this. Looking back through posts here and there, there has been an inference that what he has been doing may have been ethically wrong, illegal, or substitute your own term here. These inferences have not been made only by others, but by speedy himself. Reading what I have, there has been a "Here are the ads, nudge nudge wink wink high-fives all around, but I hope I/you don't get caught" thing going on.

The other thing is that there have been people saying Circuit doesn't have a leg to stand on, they're just bullying, etc.. Who knows? It would be interesting to see what an actual lawyer that is well-versed in matters like these would say. What CC has done so far is probably an opening salvo, and there is probably more to come.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I can tell you one thing for an absolute certainty - CC isn't really worried about damages, it's just another thing to add to the seriousness of the subpoena. They would have a near-impossible task of proving any loss of business over this, nevermind an actual amount. What CC cares about is stopping the leak.

What they don't understand is, the leaks will never be stopped, and they can attribute that to their actions in this matter, and the push for information to be known in general.

I really can't argue your first point either way. I'm not privy to CC's sales figures, nor do I know any of their financial statistics.

They want to stop the leak? That we can agree on.

As to your second point are you saying that Circuit can/has caused leaks because of the current legal action? If that's not what you mean, I don't get what you're saying. If that is what you mean, then I don't get what you're saying.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']I really can't argue your first point either way. I'm not privy to CC's sales figures, nor do I know any of their financial statistics.

They want to stop the leak? That we can agree on.

As to your second point are you saying that Circuit can/has caused leaks because of the current legal action? If that's not what you mean, I don't get what you're saying. If that is what you mean, then I don't get what you're saying.[/quote]I take it as, this info will get out one way or another, their strong-arming obviously isn't preventing that as we have next week's ads posted right now.

It would have been best for them to attempt to negotiate an alternative that would benefit both parties. Maybe an approved teaser in place of the full ads.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm curious at this point in what CC's lawyer's response will be to Cheapy's motion to quash the subopena on its technical grounds.[/quote]We need a javery or someone to look up whatever items the motion referred to that were missing from the subpoena.

I'm happy to hear that CAG's lawyer made a motion to quash. I support speedy to the fullest, but i still will not be shopping at cc.

CC's attorney's will just refile in the proper venue, with the same allegations, but now is the time when corporate has to decide if they want to expend resources on this or not, as Cheapy has steped up to defend rather than shutingup and rolling over. Hopefully they will make the wise decision, and realize leaks are inevitable. Who's to say CC didn't leak it on purpose, but needed a scapegoat now that sony's angry.

[quote name='depascal22']Why isn't there a call to boycott Sony also? They seem to share responsibility for all this mess with CC.[/quote]

Because people realize they'd be hypocrtical and still use their Sony products. Boycotts tend to work better for legitimate social issues.

[quote name='depascal22']Why isn't there a call to boycott Sony also? They seem to share responsibility for all this mess with CC.[/QUOTE]

What? I must have missed that - unless you're talking about the rampant suppostion that Sony is behind all this.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Because people realize they'd be hypocrtical and still use their Sony products.[/quote]
Sony hasn't filed on anyone. If they want to join the fray, then the circumstances would change.

And perhaps more stupendously obvious (or not I guess!), already purchased products don't put money in Sony's pocket.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']What? I must have missed that - unless you're talking about the rampant suppostion that Sony is behind all this.[/QUOTE]
Pay it no mind. That's what it looks like when someone is so self-centered and interested that they can't look outside themselves at all without projecting a blob of absurd.

[quote name='The Crotch']Have you talked to Speedy again, Cochese? I'm in the process of draining my PayPal account, and giving money to someone who needs it > Red vs Blue DVDs.[/QUOTE]

No I haven't, and it's a little worrysome. He's a fairly busy person anyways, so you have to appreciate even more what he was doing for both sites.

When I get word one way or another, I'll be sure to say.

More from DVDTalk, re: if they had responded.

Yes we have.

We're formally legally represented by the Electronic Freedom Foundation http://www.EFF.org and they've responded to the subpoena on our behalf.

On the continued advice of our counsel, I've been advised not to comment on a current and open case as such comments can be used in reference to that case.

Needless to say we continue to pursue the absolute best options available to us through the legal process. With the EFF.org representing us we've got the absolute best and most informed legal team for this issue.

Thanks again everyone for your continued support and patience.

I talked to Speedy last night, and he's worried. He's relieved DVDT actually had the balls to lawyer up, but other than that he's worried some serious shit could still come down the line. That's why he's completely retiring from doing the ads, at least until all of this blows over. I'm not sure who these people are who are doing the ads now, but I have his word that he is not the one doing it. Looks like the pressure CC is bringing down on Speedy is bringing more people out to support the cause.

Speedy has also endorsed the Paypal cause re: him. So, if you're down with Speedy, throw it in your sig or something to get the word out to people who don't read this forum/thread. He did not say what charity he will choose, I think he's still concerned enough that he is going to need it to keep his life together.

So, a couple bucks here and there would surely help. If you can't meet the $5 minimum, shoot me a PM and we'll work it out from there. If you want him to know that you donated, give me your CAG handle when you send the money and I'll keep track of who donated, but not the amount.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='speedracer']Pay it no mind. That's what it looks like when someone is so self-centered and interested that they can't look outside themselves at all without projecting a blob of absurd.[/quote]

Wait a minute, champ. I had a legitimate question. This was all supposed to be Sony putting pressure on CC for leaking price drops. There was never a problem until the 60gb $500 price point became public a month before it was supposed to. Yes, this product is already on shelves. But when product sits on shelves, there aren't any new orders and that means no more money for Sony.

Any other personal problems can be settled in PMs from here on out.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']This has been an interesting topic. To get better acquainted and more knowledgable on the issue, I plowed back a ways on here and DVDT. A couple of things I've noticed -

Some people seem to be shocked that speedy could be in trouble for this. Looking back through posts here and there, there has been an inference that what he has been doing may have been ethically wrong, illegal, or substitute your own term here. These inferences have not been made only by others, but by speedy himself. Reading what I have, there has been a "Here are the ads, nudge nudge wink wink high-fives all around, but I hope I/you don't get caught" thing going on.

The other thing is that there have been people saying Circuit doesn't have a leg to stand on, they're just bullying, etc.. Who knows? It would be interesting to see what an actual lawyer that is well-versed in matters like these would say. What CC has done so far is probably an opening salvo, and there is probably more to come.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.[/quote]

Indeed it shall.

When I started doing this way, way back in time (about 2 years ago), I decided early on that I would focus my info scope not on 1 big box retailer, but on 3. My thinking was that I would immediately level the playing field in regards to whom would have the best price / incentives on a given item within a specfied, limited timeframe. Of course you all know the retailers I selected. I officially did my first postings on these saleable items over at DVDTalk and I made the postings different from what had gone before by becoming an "operations" expert on Target, Best Buy and Circuit City. I was determined to give / aquire the best intel that is possible at any point in time.

Prior to me reporting on the Big 3, I used to work at Borders book stores and also posted deals / answered questions about Borders policies / sales.

I found in both instances (Borders and the Big 3), folks really responded to the intel that I was posting and the manner in which I answered questions about products on sale or policies. Folks generally saw me as a humble being who actually cares about his readers. Folks started asking for CD info and then gaming info and then on to PCs, laptops, etc......
I responded to almost each and everyone who ever queried me. I added more and more intel to my posts which led to my being recruited here at CAG.

Until recently, I had Cheapy's 1st two PMs to me asking me to reformat / reformulate my 3 weekly threads into 1 weekly UBER thread. I will admit I was initially hesistant but as soon as I got my head around the idea, I was able to make it reality. And (to me at least) ALL of CAG RESPONDED approvingly.

Through out hundreds of threads at both sites, I have responded to almost every query, tried to put some of my trademark humour throughout my posts for eager readers to spot and enjoy, and have created a sort of fantasy background for folks to ponder over (if they are indeed interested). I have interspersed many a true factoid about myself (Yes.... I was a stand up comedian for a 5 year span) as well as spinning some fantasy lore to enhance my "legend". (Who actually believes that I live in a cave with a multi-teated cow?????).

I have never knowingly put down any of the Big 3 that I report on. Doing so would be counter-productive to my stated mission in doing my reports: 1. To help folks save some hard earned ducats whenever possible...... 2. To have folks leave with the best possible deal / incentive during a particular time frame ..... 3. To help whomever I could whenever possible however I could. (Those that know of this "hobby" that I was doing until recently every 7 days or so have actually called me "insane" for reaching out to help someone who asked for help. They are in effect a stranger I've never met....... Thanks Mom! ;))

This is the way I am folks.

I will admit to having a helper or two who assist now and again when the computers in the Cow Cave need tweaking.

I'm truly sorry Heavy Hitter that my attempts at humour (and some fall flat here at CAG :lol:) are being seen as a wink, wink, nudge, nudge (hey I'm robbing a bank here) type of situation. But I always tried not to reveal how the intel comes into my possession. A guy over DVDTalk has asked me a number of times to reveal how my inner circle works and I just don't answer. A magician should not be asked how a trick or sleight of hand works.

I am genuinely touched by the outpouring of support here at CAG. And it's because of how YOU folks have acted toward me and reacted to my weekly scribblings, that I really miss getting the info out there. I'm still receiving lots of e-mail requests as well as PM questions here at CAG (which I can't answer at this time due to CC's actions weighing quite heavily upon me.)

It does bother me that some at DVDTalk are villifying me as a mad criminal mastermind. Rest assured..... I am NOT. I'm just a guy who likes helping people come to an informed decision. It's really that simple.

It also bothers me that CC is not researching the whole timeline of the PS3 $100 price drop correctly.

First a CC manager went on the record (anonymously of course) to say the drop was "emminent".

Next was an ad scan showing the price cut from an actually CC ad. It was watermarked with the letters NFX I believe. (To date I've never used an ad scan ANYWHERE for fear of copyright violation).

Next was the fact I didn't get my usual Target intel 1st as is usually the case and then having CC's intel available. So I went with CC. I felt that no one would notice at DVDTalk but that all of CAG would be mightily interested. The next day I put up Target which also confirmed the price drop. And on Monday, Best Buy joined the trio.

The rest you all know.

I have had no desire in becoming an Internet celebrity for 15 minutes. I was simply doing my "job". If I was a true gung-ho Matt Drudge type of reporter, I probably would have ferreted out the XBOX 360 price drop but I did like I always do: wait for the intel to come via the normal protocols that I've established (sounds very much like Mission: Impossible eh? ;))

In closing I once again would like to thank ALL OF CAG, CheapyD and anyone who chooses to believe that information shared benefits us all.

It appears that for the first time in my life, I have one large website of FRIENDS. (And GREAT ones at that.......)

I miss you ALL and hope to be back reporting soon.

Keep a positive thought out there for me, OK?

[quote name='speedy1961'](Who actually believes that I live in a cave with a multi-teated cow?????).[/quote]
um...8-[ :oops:

[quote name='speedy1961']A magician should not be asked how a trick or sleight of hand works. [/quote]
Correct. Never reveal the prestige!

Just remember the words of the great American poet 2pac.

"Keep ya head up."

Look - I'm not harshing on you at all, speedy. I'm just discussing the facts. Your humor (and the comments of others) gave that general impression to me - and I imagine that I'm not the only one. Given the context of the situation as I understand it, it doesn't look the best.

As far as the other part of my comment that you quoted, I stand by that too. At least I'm rational and analytical enough to admit that since I'm not a lawyer I really cannot say either way. I figure that's more genuine than getting hysterically emotional and talking out of my ass and taking a side I'd have no business taking - like some others may or may not have.

You may have done all that you have said to help others and save them money, good for you. Good luck with however all this plays out.

Take it easy, Speedy. Know that there are some who support you, and some who just stay out of it, by I'd say that you're not going to get anyone attacking your character here.

Stay the course. It'll all work out in the end.

Seems like there have always been at least a handful of people with early access, they just don't go out of their way to post them. The beauty of the irrelevance of Circuit City's aggression in the scheme of things.

[quote name='botticus']Seems like there have always been at least a handful of people with early access, they just don't go out of their way to post them. The beauty of the irrelevance of Circuit City's aggression in the scheme of things.[/QUOTE]

Seems like CC missed a chance to keep the information channeled through speedy. Now, they have no idea where it's going to come from, or how to stop it.

I bet it will be a contest now, to see who can post the info first each week.

+$20 for the Speedy fund....and um....Phoenix Wright is on your side!

busterella-seriousbusinessss.gif

bread's done
Back