CAG FIGHTING GAME THREAD Vol. 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I love using Adon! Of the characters that I'm decent with, he's probably the least "mainstream," which makes it even more fun. I love that diving kick thing that flies across the screen, it always seems to catch the novice Ken players off guard.

[quote name='Chacrana']So I'm torn between importing Garou: Mark of the Wolves or Samurai Spirits: Tenkaichi... I'm getting both at some point, but anybody have a suggestion as to which one would be better to get first?[/QUOTE]
If you haven't played Mark of the Wolves for any other system get that first. If you have, I would go with SS.

I'd go with garou. the arranged soundtrack is nice, the animation flows better than the arcade version IMO. oh and harder AI than the arcade version..

SST is a good game, but there are soo many different menus and styles to use, it becomes very difficult. also the command list is terrible to navigate through. if you're fluent with japanese, then you'll be ok.

still, MOTW is the one you'll be playing more of, I can almost gaurantee it.

edit:

to answer rodimus' question:
Crappiest Character (besides Dan): agreed about t. hawk I just can't like the guy
Favorite Character:tie: Zangief/ Karin
Favorite Stage: Charlie's
Character you'd like to see more: tie: Karin/ Gen

Alright, thanks for the input. I'm gonna go ahead and get Garou since I played it a little on the NG back years ago and I've always wanted to own it... and because I can get that and a Sega Ages game (deciding between Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box and Panzer Dragoon) for the same price that Tenka would cost.

And aside from that, I also preordered King of Fighters XI... that game is going to be godly when it comes out.

[quote name='Chacrana']Alright, thanks for the input. I'm gonna go ahead and get Garou since I played it a little on the NG back years ago and I've always wanted to own it... and because I can get that and a Sega Ages game (deciding between Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box and Panzer Dragoon) for the same price that Tenka would cost.

And aside from that, I also preordered King of Fighters XI... that game is going to be godly when it comes out.[/QUOTE]
agreed about kofXI I just hope that the new characters are tweaked to match the feel of the game. now all I ask for in the next installment is to include ryan into the mix.

A3!
Dan is not that bad, actually. He's got some workable VCs and he gets pushblock in V so he can dodge some unblockables =P

Now Juli though... o_O;

I play V-Karin / V-Sakura.

I haven't played SS Tenka but I like MOTW. Too bad no one plays.

[quote name='kainzero']A3!
Dan is not that bad, actually. He's got some workable VCs and he gets pushblock in V so he can dodge some unblockables =P

Now Juli though... o_O;

[quote name='kainzero']A3!

Now Juli though... o_O;

Eh, as long as SNK fighters are up, what's the consensus on Neo Geo Battle Coliseum? I know the load times are supposedly kinda crap, but is the game itself worth buying?

I know I'm a horrid SFA3 player, but I love the game to death... mainly a Rolento/Dan/Cody player myself... I occasionally play guy as well and tried being good with adon, but realized I was too damn random even for myself usually resulting in adon's death.

I was looking at Wikipedia the other day and they have two fighting classifications...scrolling (beat 'em ups) and versus fighters (SF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_game

My question to you guys is this, would wrestling games be included in the fighting genre or are they a seperate sub-category? I know the article says seperate but it seems that wrestling has quite a bit in common with fighters. Combos, timing, meters, finishing moves and the fact that the characters are fictitious.

Also, what was the last scrolling fighter you played? The last one I remember playing was Beats of Rage. It's decent for a free game.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I was looking at Wikipedia the other day and they have two fighting classifications...scrolling (beat 'em ups) and versus fighters (SF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_game

My question to you guys is this, would wrestling games be included in the fighting genre or are they a seperate sub-category? I know the article says seperate but it seems that wrestling has quite a bit in common with fighters. Combos, timing, meters, finishing moves and the fact that the characters are fictitious.

Also, what was the last scrolling fighter you played? The last one I remember playing was Beats of Rage. It's decent for a free game.[/QUOTE]

I still don't consider Wrestling games as fighters. They play very different and are very animation heavy with limited control. I can see where you can do combos and whatnot, but compared to fighters, feels totally off or different. I don't like wrestling too much personally, but loved playin the N64 wrestling games... everything else after that has been downhill IMHO other than rumble roses ;) . Now I do think scrolling (or brawlers as I call them) games are a direct fighting game. It's just an over simplified version of a fighter. Less attacks, less buttons, but more enemies. Usually the combos are very much like 2d fighters anyway (streets of rage is a great example).

the last scrolling fighter would ahve to be beats of rage as well... a friend and I put some time into the double dragon remake mod and almost beat the game. Beats of rage would be perfect if someone would impliment a run feature in the game since walking seems to take forever.

so... would king of the monsters fall under beat 'em up, fighter or wrestling game?

and what about aggressors of dark kombat? what about saturday night slam masters?

final fight 3 was the last beat 'em up I played (about 5 months ago) maybe it's time i start on a new one.

[quote name='gigan54']so... would king of the monsters fall under beat 'em up, fighter or wrestling game?

and what about aggressors of dark kombat? what about saturday night slam masters?

final fight 3 was the last beat 'em up I played (about 5 months ago) maybe it's time i start on a new one.[/QUOTE]

War of Monsters = Beat-em-up/fighter... in a weird way. I own the game and play it when I feel I need to break something.

my question is... what genre is Pit Fighter? genre = "Horribly Funny"?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']War of Monsters = Beat-em-up/fighter... in a weird way. I own the game and play it when I feel I need to break something.

my question is... what genre is Pit Fighter? genre = "Horrible"?[/quote]
FIXED.

a friend of mine collects fighting games and we ran into this issue when trying to catalog these games for all the systems. wrestling games have been debated before, but how about pride fighting or boxing? they technically could be classified as fighting games i guess, but how should someone draw the line. maybe omit all sports or sports entertainment games?

I really think that boxing and wrestling games go under sports. Yeah, people get beat up or knocked the fuck out, but that's where the similarities end. The rules associated with boxing games and wrestling games differentiate them from fighting games. Fighting games have a simple KO for deciding who wins the match while boxing and wrestling have counts in place to determine a match which is a pretty significant difference.

[quote name='kristianator']a friend of mine collects fighting games and we ran into this issue when trying to catalog these games for all the systems. wrestling games have been debated before, but how about pride fighting or boxing? they technically could be classified as fighting games i guess, but how should someone draw the line. maybe omit all sports or sports entertainment games?[/quote]

I think Pride and Boxing fall more under the sports genre because they are legit sports. Pro Wrestling is hard to classify (other than as a wrestling game) because it not a legit sport but it is a little different from the traditional 2D or 3D fighting game.

Saturday Night Slam Masters is a good example of a hybrid title though. IIRC the game had Street Fighter style commands. The old Acclaim WWF game on the PS One had MK-style controls.

I tend to include them with my fighting collection since they aren't actual sporting events, but I can see both sides of the argument.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think Pride and Boxing fall more under the sports genre because they are legit sports. Pro Wrestling is hard to classify (other than as a wrestling game) because it not a legit sport but it is a little different from the traditional 2D or 3D fighting game.

Saturday Night Slam Masters is a good example of a hybrid title though. IIRC the game had Street Fighter style commands. The old Acclaim WWF game on the PS One had MK-style controls.

I tend to include them with my fighting collection since they aren't actual sporting events, but I can see both sides of the argument.[/QUOTE]

I just say boxing and those types of games are sports, wrestling is wrestling (if there are more moves in the game that have to do with throws rather than hits, even if it is a throw that is animated like a hit, then it's probably wrestling), and fighters in fighters.

then again, the way I organize my games is out of the ordinary... I do it alphabeticly based on publisher.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']then again, the way I organize my games is out of the ordinary... I do it alphabeticly based on publisher.[/quote]

That's the first I ever heard of anyone doing that.

[quote name='Rozz']Damn, why did you guys have to bring up Street Fighter: The Movie Game? I had two chances at picking up that title and didnt do it, and ever since I could never find a copy thats both complete and for a reasonable price. Oh well. I know the game sucks, but I collect games from the Street Fighter series and I thought it would be a rather interesting addition to my collection :D

I'm not too big on Dead or Alive. I used to enjoy the series but not so much anymore. I did decently on Xbox Live DOA: U. I have a C rating I believe, but its gonna be awhile before I pop it in again.[/QUOTE]

Hey Rozz- You might want to check Amazon marketplace. I noticed some complete copies in the 7 dollar range earlier today.

I just got my Saturn a few weeks ago with Marvel Super Heroes (ebay), and I picked up SFA2 and SF: The Movie Game from a store we have around here called Power Gamer. I got it for the same reason. Not to mention you can't just walk into too many stores and buy a Saturn game off the shelf nowadays, so judgement can become clouded.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']yeah, I have no idea why I do it, but it works.[/quote]

Now that I think about it, if most of your games are fighters it makes sense.

just got my import copy of sf zero anthology

i haven't touched alpha 2 in forever, and i'm seriously rocking this shit more than all the other stuff, including the new hyper street fighter zero.. i think the last time i played this was on the laggeriffic version on super nintendo.

and it's somewhat strange that they didn't put in an arcade version of hyper. i know it was never released in the arcade, but if i wanted to play against the cpu, i only have training mode available to me. i guess that's not too bad, but it's weird that arcade mode isn't in there.

[quote name='kristianator']just got my import copy of sf zero anthology

i haven't touched alpha 2 in forever, and i'm seriously rocking this shit more than all the other stuff, including the new hyper street fighter zero.. i think the last time i played this was on the laggeriffic version on super nintendo.

and it's somewhat strange that they didn't put in an arcade version of hyper. i know it was never released in the arcade, but if i wanted to play against the cpu, i only have training mode available to me. i guess that's not too bad, but it's weird that arcade mode isn't in there.[/quote]

I believe you can set 2p to CPU.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I believe you can set 2p to CPU.[/QUOTE]

the only problem is that it never feels the same though... too much work to set up a fight with the CPU.

off topic: wish me luck this weekend... i'm going in for an interview for Circuit City this saturday at 1pm. I hope I can get the job just to be able to post some decent deal info for CAG...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the only problem is that it never feels the same though... too much work to set up a fight with the CPU.

off topic: wish me luck this weekend... i'm going in for an interview for Circuit City this saturday at 1pm. I hope I can get the job just to be able to post some decent deal info for CAG...[/quote]
Good luck. It takes four months to get the discount I think. I hope you use your discount for the good of CAG.

But mostly me.
;)

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Anyone, if used right, isn't bad. But overall Dan is a crummy character, but that's because he's supposed to be. He's still fun to use.

I like Karin also (she's the only girl in the game who I enjoy using), she always remind me of the daughter Geese Howard never had. Maybe because of the command counters. But I never was a V-ism fan, I like doing super moves.[/quote]
Well, I'm just saying Dan isn't bottom tier. =P I think people would put Birdie and Juni below him.

V-ism is awesome, I love it. You just get so many more opportunities and there's more mind games and fakes involved. Granted, not every character is good in V and there are a few A's that I like, but V-Sak / V-Karin are just really fun.

I played my friend today... he just learned how to do V-Akuma's unblockables. =P Still, this game is damn fun.

RR: Best of luck to you.

I just got a job with Sony but I think I'm going to leave them(haven't even started yet!) for a higher paying job with SDGE. lol.

I love games and stuff, but not that much.

thx for the support guys...

what exactly was/is your supposed job at sony?

get a job at namco as a motion capture actor... from there on there will be a new fighting style in Tekken called "The MarkMan"... half of your attacks will somehow involve tossing pigs dressed in french stereotype outfits.

I did, plays exactly the same as the console version. Of course you can't use a joystick and some the character sprites aren't high res. btw i'm assuming you're talking #r on the psp

[quote name='apokalipze2']It did in japan. the us version gets a crappy looking side scroller that looks like dust strikers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Japan's version has been out for more than half a year now... the sidescroller the US is getting looks weak, but whatever. The US version is essentially 2 games since it's going to have Reload (the whole Japanese PSP game which is a direct port of the PS2 version of GGX2#Reload) and the attempt at a sidescroller known as Judgment. Japan never got the side scroller IIRC.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Gamespot says it comes out August 1st[/QUOTE]

The release date's been changed like 4 times now... nobody knows when it's coming out at this point.

[quote name='Chacrana']Probably... Kaillera's simply the thing that lets you play fighters online when using an emu, right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Was just playing Garou for about an hour on it.

OMG pick up of the year for me.

I got a Sega Astro City 29 arcade cabinet.(sit down Japanese cabinet for those of you not familiar with it.)

GUESS HOW MUCH.

I'll post pics when I get my camera back.

$23 bucks btw.

O_O

[quote name='MarkMan']OMG pick up of the year for me.

I got a Sega Astro City 29 arcade cabinet.(sit down Japanese cabinet for those of you not familiar with it.)

GUESS HOW MUCH.

$23 bucks btw.

O_O[/QUOTE]

wow, it's practically free! where and how did this happen? that's insanely awesome.

[quote name='gigan54']wow, it's practically free! where and how did this happen? that's insanely awesome.[/QUOTE]If there's no catch :hot:

A friend of me linked me to the cabinet on Craig's List in my area.

Sure enough I emailed the seller and called them up. They just wanted to get rid of it. To make sure it wasn't a typo I asked again about the price, they said "$20."

So I go over there to inspect the cabinet. It's in beautiful condition. The buttons didn't work but that's because the wiring became unplugged, easy fix. And the coin door was missing(easily replaceable). Street Fighter II: World Warrior was already in the machine, and I didn't hesitate to buy it.

Turns out it was a lady and her son that just wanted to get rid of it. It was given to them by their neighbor awhile ago. It's an Astro City 29 cabinet with a Blast City panel. Pretty much brand new Sanwa buttons/stick. No burn in on the monitor at all. The lady told me that her son was going to keep the money from the sales, so when I offerred him $23 bucks his face lit up with the biggest smile his fat face could muster... he gladly accepted since he only wanted $20. Badabing badaboom. I'll take pics of Sunday when my brother brings my camera back.

Watching Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade right now. I love this movie.

lol.

Oh yea it looks like this:

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=thumbs&id=3013

I have 2 arcade cabinets now. 1 more to go from my ideal collection. :)

[quote name='MarkMan']OMG pick up of the year for me.

GUESS HOW MUCH.

$23 bucks btw.

O_O[/QUOTE]

sometimes i think you come to this thread for the sole purpose of busting our balls.

of course i know better of you

[quote name='MarkMan']A friend of me linked me to the cabinet on Craig's List in my area.

Sure enough I emailed the seller and called them up. They just wanted to get rid of it. To make sure it wasn't a typo I asked again about the price, they said "$20."

So I go over there to inspect the cabinet. It's in beautiful condition. The buttons didn't work but that's because the wiring became unplugged, easy fix. And the coin door was missing(easily replaceable). Street Fighter II: World Warrior was already in the machine, and I didn't hesitate to buy it.

Turns out it was a lady and her son that just wanted to get rid of it. It was given to them by their neighbor awhile ago. It's an Astro City 29 cabinet with a Blast City panel. Pretty much brand new Sanwa buttons/stick. No burn in on the monitor at all. The lady told me that her son was going to keep the money from the sales, so when I offerred him $23 bucks his face lit up with the biggest smile his fat face could muster... he gladly accepted since he only wanted $20. Badabing badaboom. I'll take pics of Sunday when my brother brings my camera back.

Watching Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade right now. I love this movie.

lol.

Oh yea it looks like this:

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=thumbs&id=3013

I have 2 arcade cabinets now. 1 more to go from my ideal collection. :)[/QUOTE]

Nice score, and to think that I thought my Neogeo cab w/ Sam Sho 1 for 200 was a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back