CAG Fighting Thread #16 The Legend Never Dies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='jimfoley16']I wish we could have both! I was really looking forward to seeing how SNK handled the Capcom characters with a 2nd crack at them... I really thought SvC2 had some awesome potential. The 1st one was laden with possibility but just didn't deliver (sort of like CvS1 compared to CvS2). Oh well.

Garou 2 :);):);):) 8=======D~~[/QUOTE]

Yeah I didnt like the game, but I loved the fact that SNK actually gave SvC a storyline and the funny interactions, something Capcom seems to neglect doing in CvS2. It added a lot of personality to a mediocre game.

Oh shit... so SNK is bringing its games out over here on the PS2?

There may not need to be a reason to import after all.

Previously, the company was unable to publish these games here due to strict Sony guidelines regarding 2D games, but those guidelines have been relaxed thanks to Sony's desire to keep support for the PS2 alive in the wake of the release of the PlayStation 3.

Better late than never I suppose, but I wish Sony would let people release whatever the hell they want. There really isn't a good reason not to.

I wish a Last Blade compilation would be released but I doubt that will happen. At least we have a shot at getting SSV Special?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Better late than never I suppose, but I wish Sony would let people release whatever the hell they want. The really isn't a good reason not to.
[/QUOTE]

Shelf space is a big reason, and retailers not picking up the game to sell is another.

Go into EB / Gamestop, they are already running out of room for all the current gen stuff... a $40 SNK game will sell to you or me but I guarantee it will just sit on EB's shelf for the longest time until they drop the price.

Everytime a clearance sale has happened at any retailer, SNK's games are ALWAYS on the list... I've already seen Metal Slug 4 / 5 show up on multiple clearance lists.

Every publisher is allowed to have some games that don't do so hot at retail, but it seems all of SNK's games don't do so hot since they are constantly clearanced. They were also told that bundles would sell, they refused to bundle them for NA after the first couple of games. I partly blame SNK, they were told what to do to get their games out here but refused to do it.

Nintendo used to have this same policy in effect during the NES / SNES's days, and I'm sure Microsoft has similar policy of what can / cannot be brought out.

Anyways, this is just beating a dead horse, this topic comes up once every week or two. Anyone who likes fighters enough will just import making this a moot point.

Word straight from the folks at SNK Playmore's home office in Japan says that the company is also hard at work on some sort of follow-up to Mark of the Wolves. They're keeping tight-lipped about this new game, but we do know that it'll use modern high-resolution graphics instead of the lo-rez 2D of the original game.
I worry about the specific wording of this. Notice they say "lo-rez 2D", but not "high-rez 2D".

While we're all thinking GGX, SNK could be thinking this:

kofmaximpact1fe9.jpg

That's interesting news there. Garou 2 had better be 2D... I can't imagine SNK getting a 3D game right.

As for the US releases... wow, I didn't see that coming. I don't regret buying the games I have though because we have no idea when (or even what exactly) stuff is going to be coming out, and SNK does have a history of censoring the stuff they bring out on the PS2 in the US.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's interesting news there. Garou 2 had better be 2D... I can't imagine SNK getting a 3D game right.

As for the US releases... wow, I didn't see that coming. I don't regret buying the games I have though because we have no idea when (or even what exactly) stuff is going to be coming out, and SNK does have a history of censoring the stuff they bring out on the PS2 in the US.[/quote]

I just wish they would have online capabilites on the PS2.

Apparently King of Fighters had an anime. Not the mini episodes that were released last year, but an older one that aired back in 1996. How did I let that get past me.

Anyone seen it and know if it's any good?

As far as I know, the only KOF anime was the one that was made just recently... you sure you aren't thinking of Fatal Fury's anime?

[quote name='evilmax17']I worry about the specific wording of this. Notice they say "lo-rez 2D", but not "high-rez 2D".

While we're all thinking GGX, SNK could be thinking this:

kofmaximpact1fe9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What's the word from Japan about how MI2/KOF2006 is? I'll pick it up as long as it's not too shitty...

[quote name='SilverPaw750']What's the word from Japan about how MI2/KOF2006 is? I'll pick it up as long as it's not too shitty...[/QUOTE]

Better than MI 1, but still not good.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']What's the word from Japan about how MI2/KOF2006 is? I'll pick it up as long as it's not too shitty...[/QUOTE]
\
some characters are broken (luise, i'm looking at you) but tons of fun.ti's got a parry system now that's fun to use and the character models are well done. all in all a fun fighter with tons of characters and cool alternate costumes. plus, the controls are tighter than the original. I highly recommend it. it's the best 3d game with a 2d feel.

Thanks for the input guys. Even though it's missing my favorite character (Whip), it appears to be retailing for $30, so for 38 characters (right?) I'll pick it up.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Thanks for the input guys. Even though it's missing my favorite character (Whip), it appears to be retailing for $30, so for 38 characters (right?) I'll pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, for 30 bones it's def worth it. I imported it and don't regret it. Alot of the secret characters are a ton of fun to play as (Mr Karate, Nightmare Geese). As long as you're not expecting a serious, competitive fighter - you'll enjoy it.

On an unrelated note, anyone else notice that Robert is actually fun to play as in KoFXI? I loved him in 2003, but hated him in Battle Colliseum. Seems like they made him really fun in this. He's the only console-exclusive character that I really dig.

[quote name='Chacrana']As far as I know, the only KOF anime was the one that was made just recently... you sure you aren't thinking of Fatal Fury's anime?[/QUOTE]

No. I was on retrojunk.com wasting time at work and saw an Anime named "King of Fighters" was made in 1996. I went to look for more info about it on the site and it had some picture of Athena, King, Yuri and Mai. I tried searching the internet for more info but I can't find anything. Everytime you search for KOF anmie, Another Day always pops up. I sceptical too, maybe someone put it up as a joke or something. Here's the link:

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/254-king-of-fighters/

Chacrana I don't like Itagaki because he's a loud mouth jackass from what I've heard but that doesn't mean I won't buy DOA4 because of him. He's like the Japanese stereotype of the loud American, only he's Japanese so he should know better than to be loud.
Speaking of fighters, I know this isn't the typical one but if Kengo Zero has online play will I find ANYONE here to play against? ANYONE who owns a Japanese or Asian 360?! Crosses fingers.
Also speaking of Animes that would make GREAT fighters "Fate Stay Night" comes to mind. Using Arturia's Ultimate Phantasm would be fucking sweet. If this game turns out to be an RPG I will be disgusted.
edit: http://www.m-land.co.jp/asp/syousai.asp?SCODE=4997766200675
Aki link to it. If someone could translate the info reasonably well I'd appreciate it. Apparently the extra version has some PSP crap. Personally I'm hoping they're selling a PSP and PS2 version together though I doubt it.

I also posted this in the old school forum, but then realized this thread was around.

QUESTION:

There's a character in one of the bajillion "fighting tournament"-style games who's a goopy guy dressed all in white. He starts off each round by dangling from the ceiling like a sloth. And he's got these long tendril arms that he can swing around and whack opponents with.

What's the name and/or game for this guy?

I'm asking on behalf of a friend, so I may not know if any answers are the right one until he gets back to me. So far the only suggestion I have is Twelve from SF III.

I picked up D.O.N. on Gamecube the other day and its pretty decent IMO.

All of the characters I've tried so far feel quite different from each other, no real clone characters like Smash Bros. The gameplay is fairly simple: B is your main attack, A is jump, Y is a character-specific attack, Z is for throws, L/R are block, and X is for supers. Each attack can be changed by pressing a direction similar to SSBM (example: Up + B is a different move than Forward + B). The stages are a good mix from all 3 animes, and the graphics/animation are pretty damned great.

My major gripe with the game is the way you have to unlock stuff. During the game you are given a mission to complete during each fight. Pass the mission, win coins. If not, just continue on to the next fight. After you beat the game, you use the coins in a big slot machine (1 pull = 3 coins) and you have to line up 3 of the JUMP icons to access a SECOND slot machine where you have a chance to unlock stages, characters, and gallery art. It is the biggest pain in the ass EVER.

For example, I beat the game on Very Hard mode and had 150 coins in the end. I was only able to get to the second slot machine 4 times, and out of those 4 times I unlocked 1 stage. Absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't touched multiplayer yet, but it seems like it could be fun.

[quote name='KaneRobot']

I'm asking on behalf of a friend, so I may not know if any answers are the right one until he gets back to me. So far the only suggestion I have is Twelve from SF III.[/QUOTE]

that's him. almost 100% certain it's him.

[quote name='gigan54']that's him. almost 100% certain it's him.[/QUOTE]
Pretty certain here too. Only charcther I can think of the way your describing.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Yeah man, for 30 bones it's def worth it. I imported it and don't regret it. Alot of the secret characters are a ton of fun to play as (Mr Karate, Nightmare Geese). As long as you're not expecting a serious, competitive fighter - you'll enjoy it.

On an unrelated note, anyone else notice that Robert is actually fun to play as in KoFXI? I loved him in 2003, but hated him in Battle Colliseum. Seems like they made him really fun in this. He's the only console-exclusive character that I really dig.[/QUOTE]

God, I can't stand Robert in KOF XI. He was probably my best character in '02 and '03, but the fact that he has to charge for his fireball and anti-air attack... can't stand that.

Ugh... so close to unlocking everything in DoA 4, but the damn Spartan has like 5 extra costumes and they are all just stupid color swaps. These costumes are really disappointing in this iteration.

I'm getting better at the stick, though... I can't wait for SF 2.

[quote name='KaneRobot']There's a character in one of the bajillion "fighting tournament"-style games who's a goopy guy dressed all in white. He starts off each round by dangling from the ceiling like a sloth. And he's got these long tendril arms that he can swing around and whack opponents with.[/QUOTE]

Either Tweleve or Faust from Guilty Gear.

Naw, Faust's defining compnents are the umbrella he flies in on, the giant scalpel, and the bag on his head... maybe even his "coming out of the closet" move.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's interesting news there. Garou 2 had better be 2D... I can't imagine SNK getting a 3D game right.

As for the US releases... wow, I didn't see that coming. I don't regret buying the games I have though because we have no idea when (or even what exactly) stuff is going to be coming out, and SNK does have a history of censoring the stuff they bring out on the PS2 in the US.[/QUOTE]

Notice how they said only the compliations... they are going for the old Neo Geo stuff that already has the English already done.

I highly doubt they'll translate and bring over KoF XI or NGBC.

good news from SNK. I still need to get KOF XI.

on an unrelated note, if I buy Guilty Gear XX Slash, is there a reason to get any of the PS2 Guilty Gear games before it?

[quote name='asianxcore'] on an unrelated note, if I buy Guilty Gear XX Slash, is there a reason to get any of the PS2 Guilty Gear games before it?[/QUOTE]

Nope

[quote name='Roufuss']Notice how they said only the compliations... they are going for the old Neo Geo stuff that already has the English already done.

I highly doubt they'll translate and bring over KoF XI or NGBC.[/QUOTE]

That's true now that I reread that. It's as if SNK still plans to replace KOF with KOF MI in the states...

Oh, and I got Neo Geo Battle Coliseum today. I dunno if I'll have impressions today though...just got my wisdom teeth out and I feel a little like shit and partially like playing more Suikoden V.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's true now that I reread that. It's as if SNK still plans to replace KOF with KOF MI in the states...

Oh, and I got Neo Geo Battle Coliseum today. I dunno if I'll have impressions today though...just got my wisdom teeth out and I feel a little like shit and partially like playing more Suikoden V.[/QUOTE]

I got Tekken: Dark Resurrection today, and it is awesome ;)

But yea, it makes sense from an SNK standpoint, there is no work at all needed on the earlier compliations, just make the default language English and change the region encoding and bam, all done, the rest is straight up profit.

[quote name='Roufuss']I got Tekken: Dark Resurrection today, and it is awesome ;)[/quote]

Went to FOUR (BB, CC, TRU, Target) places for this today to no avail. Anyone seen it anywhere besides the Evil Empire?

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Went to FOUR (BB, CC, TRU, Target) places for this today to no avail. Anyone seen it anywhere besides the Evil Empire?[/QUOTE]

CC says they will have it in today by 5 pm in their ad, maybe that's why you couldn't find it earlier?

Best Buy just says it'll be out today in their ad as well.

Also at these stores, espically BB, they'll have it but the game will just be in the back and you have to ask for it.

I'll probably pick Tekken up on Friday... hell, maybe I'll even open Tekken 5 (which came with the stick oddly enough) while I'm waiting. Fry's had a disappointing $35 price today, but I suppose that's good enough for something that's inevitably going to be excellent.

got it today as well. Great stuff so far. Pulled off most of my tactics, moves and combos with Xiaoyu with no problems. only got about 20 minutes in, but very impressive thus far.

DR is alot of fun, but it's hard getting back into it after so much DoA 4.

The training mode seems to be missing a TON of moves... why is this?

I wasn't going to get Tekken but was bored and had some credit at EB so I picked it up. For a portable fighting game I am very impressed. I am not a big Tekken player but it's great playing this on the PSP.

So which hand-position do you guys use for Tekken: DR?

I put my thumb anchored over the A/C input, with my fingers poking down on the buttons. can't seem to get two punch or kick buttons at once with my thumb only :\

[quote name='Sarang01']
Also speaking of Animes that would make GREAT fighters "Fate Stay Night" comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

There's already at least two fighting games based on it. The first is Fatal Fake, which is your typical anime cel-shaded 3D fighter - it's not that great. The other is Fate Sword Dance, which I hear is a great 2D fighter, but I never got around to installing it, so I wouldn't know.

So my favorite doujin/anime fighter thus far is still Melty Blood.

I am loving Tekken DR on psp. Only thing is I need to relearn the game some what since I haven't played Tekken with out an arcade stick since Tekken 1 on ps1. I am having lots of trouble with diagonals toward the outside of the psp so I have to do some internal moding. It's amazing tho I hope I can get up to my stick skill level with the dpad.

[quote name='whitereflection']There's already at least two fighting games based on it. The first is Fatal Fake, which is your typical anime cel-shaded 3D fighter - it's not that great. The other is Fate Sword Dance, which I hear is a great 2D fighter, but I never got around to installing it, so I wouldn't know.

So my favorite doujin/anime fighter thus far is still Melty Blood.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Melty Blood really seems like one of the very few good anime based games out there... and it's only loosely based on anime characters.

Speaking of which, I preordered Act Cadenza from NCSX.com today... that way I know it'll get here fast. Can't fucking wait.

I love tekken dr but UGH, there's some moves I just CAN'T get. ever. easy moves, like df + [2, 1] which is supposed to be a simple launching uppercut with xiaoyu.

can't tell if it's the game or the psp but according to the button history in practice mode, if you press 2 buttons too close in succession, they register as being pressed both at once, even if they clearly aren't. weird.

also, i'm not sure if this is an update in DR, but it seems like some hit detection is different...

great game in any case, not arcade perfect , but still totally exceeding my expectations in every way.

what rank are you guys? I'm 195 overall. that was a half hour ago, so probably less now.

^^ Make sure you slide the input... correct notation is d/f+2~1.

In terms of hit detection I can say its very accurate to 5.0 on PS2 or DR on arcade.

If anyone has any Tekken related questions regarding system or moves, juggles let me know. I love talking about Tekken.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah, Melty Blood really seems like one of the very few good anime based games out there... and it's only loosely based on anime characters.

Speaking of which, I preordered Act Cadenza from NCSX.com today... that way I know it'll get here fast. Can't fucking wait.[/quote]

Let me ask you something, Chacrana. I have Melty Blood ReACT installed, should I go ahead and patch it with the FinalTuned one as well?

Oh yeah, just as I suspected in my preview. Forgot to mention earlier. The 'title' option in Tekken: DR was removed for the English version. Just like the PS2 versions.

[quote name='yukine']Let me ask you something, Chacrana. I have Melty Blood ReACT installed, should I go ahead and patch it with the FinalTuned one as well?[/QUOTE]

Hm... you can patch ReACT up to Final Tuned? If so, I'd say do it. Most people have told me that Final Tuned is better.

Though I still think the best choice is to watch that movie of Act Cadenza I posted in the last fighting thread over and over until August 10th at which time you will promptly buy AC for the PS2.

[quote name='MarkMan']Oh yeah, just as I suspected in my preview. Forgot to mention earlier. The 'title' option in Tekken: DR was removed for the English version. Just like the PS2 versions.[/QUOTE]

I can live with that... what else did you think might get cut and is it in the US version?

[quote name='Chacrana']Hm... you can patch ReACT up to Final Tuned? If so, I'd say do it. Most people have told me that Final Tuned is better.

Though I still think the best choice is to watch that movie of Act Cadenza I posted in the last fighting thread over and over until August 10th at which time you will promptly buy AC for the PS2.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can.

I'll go check it out, but I don't think I want to pay for the added expenses of modding my PS2 to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back