CAG Fund for Child's Play 2008 Raffle - $32,667 Raised! - Winners Posted!

[quote name='Arakias']But if a person who donates $5 has an opportunity to win this bundle, and the majority of people will donate less than the $400-500+ value of this bundle the idea that a person can win a massive bundle for such little effort is kinda lame. If it was split up into smaller bits or something, that would make more sense (not as a single prize).
The person who had this sitting around could have seen the his "prize" be put to immediate use if it went to a charity/house/library directly.

I am specifically addressing this massive prize bundle and not all the smaller little prizes or the $500 gift card because it seems to be an excessively large prize and I thought there was something on CAG where donations of games directly to a kids charity occurred (unless I am confusing it with the military one).

anyways thats the last I'll say about that. I'm just as happy to win the prize now that it is in the pot but still...[/quote]

While I understand your point, I think the reason for all this isn't to win prizes, it's to raise money for charity. Having said that, if more people are inclined to donate small amounts in the hopes of winning a big prize, then it's worth it in the long run.

It doesn't seem like the Chip-in counter has updated since last night (it was at $1205.01 before I donated around midnight). I'm thinking the actual total is a lot higher.

Cool. Cheapy D's annoyance with how long it took them to cash the check aside, I hoped we'd do this again this year.

Man, how I hope to win one of Marten's famous boxes.

I'm in, contributed last year while I was still in college, glad to contribute more this year now that I am a full time worker. Such a great charity

I'm thankful to have a job this year so I was able to contribute a bit more than previous years. Doin it 4 da shorteez ya'll!

SuperSurloin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The raffle seems to be well on the way! 11% and counting just the 2nd day in (or so).

I have to give major kudos to Justden for offering the most amazing prize possible. His generosity amazes me and I know he hopes it gets all CAGers out there to donate and to donate more to the Child's Play Charity. Perhaps the winner of this generous prize would choose to give it to a charity himself (or herself).

Lets break that record!

donated a decent amount..... definitely feel the need to donate this year, and its always awesome to help other people enjoy games as much as i do............ and people don't forgot from childsplay website through amazon you can order stuff for a hospital in your area.

[quote name='quest1962']How do I make a prize donation? :bouncy:[/quote]

The first post has information and a link to the email/form for you to send CheapyD the information about the game you'll donate.

[quote name='daknight']The first post has information and a link to the email/form for you to send CheapyD the information about the game you'll donate.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Da! Serves me right for not reading all the way to the prize list. My :drool: must've gooped up the trackpad.

[quote name='Arakias']The raffle seems to be well on the way! 11% and counting just the 2nd day in (or so).

I have to give major kudos to Justden for offering the most amazing prize possible. His generosity amazes me and I know he hopes it gets all CAGers out there to donate and to donate more to the Child's Play Charity. Perhaps the winner of this generous prize would choose to give it to a charity himself (or herself).

Lets break that record![/quote]

I was thinking in that vein myself. If I win the large prize, I will gift the 360 to my girlfriend's son, sell a majority of the games and donate the net proceeds to Child's Play.

[quote name='djfp']It doesn't seem like the Chip-in counter has updated since last night (it was at $1205.01 before I donated around midnight). I'm thinking the actual total is a lot higher.[/quote]
It often gets cached in Firefox...try clearing your cache.
I've updated the prize list.

[quote name='CheapyD']It often gets cached in Firefox...try clearing your cache.
I've updated the prize list.[/quote]

Thanks! Safari's cache was playing tricks on me. It is awesome to see that the tally is already up to 12% of the target after a few days. Maybe we can hit 35K or above at this rate!

[quote name='captainova']Sorry if its obvious, but how do they know how much a cag account actually donated? Is it based off the email or name?[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing actualy

[quote name='slickkill77']I was wondering the same thing actualy[/quote]

If it's the same as last year, which I assume it is. Then it's all sorted by your email that paypal uses. Originally last year donations were going to be connected to users on CAG via the email that paypal used but not everyone had the same email and some donator's weren't CAGs.

Don't think I'm wrong, but I may be.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Marten's Famous Random Boxes of Mother fucking Awesomeness are reason alone to donate at least $5. Time to get cracking. =][/quote]

Comments like this are exactly why I decided to do two of them this year. :D

Does anyone have any Microsoft contacts? They could do a short community video about this on Xbox Live. And I guess Sony could do the same on PSN.

It's a good cause and would be good PR for them.

[quote name='dsunshine']if you have any extra digital copies of half life 2 from the orange box, you should donate them.[/QUOTE]

You know what, that is not a bad idea, I always forget I have those extra copies sitting around.

Damn well I decided to donate quite a bit more than last year. I got a better paying job and I remember how much fun I used to have when I was younger playing videogames. These kids need something like this and I hope this helps ease their pain a little and gives them some good memories cuz if it does then its well worth it.

[quote name='Draekon']If it's the same as last year, which I assume it is. Then it's all sorted by your email that paypal uses. Originally last year donations were going to be connected to users on CAG via the email that paypal used but not everyone had the same email and some donator's weren't CAGs.

Don't think I'm wrong, but I may be.[/quote]

Yea I was wondering this too. My emails for this and paypal are different. It's not a big deal as I was going to donate to a charity anyways but I'm just wondering how this magical system works haha.

[quote name='CheapyD']We were a Platinum Sponsor last year! The sponsors listed are for this year.[/quote]
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Makes a lot more sense.

Hey, about my donations: the games and mouse all came from my Stootsi smorgasbord deals. The mouse came from my Bronze Medal Box:

HTML:

and the Deus Ex and Daikatana games were 2 of my random PC games:

HTML:

Anyway, good luck and thank you to everyone who contributes.

Okay, get this

I'm talking to my dad saying I want to donate some money to Child's Play, and he tells me to find a fucking website that tells if the charity actually gives ALL THE MONEY they reccieve. I mention to him how they do and how it's run by a reputable company, and he still wouldn't believe me until I found the fucking information (paranoid asshole, why get so wound up over $50?)

Does anyone know what site does that? My dad couldn't remember the url and a google search pulled up nothing

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']Okay, get this

I'm talking to my dad saying I want to donate some money to Child's Play, and he tells me to find a fucking website that tells if the charity actually gives ALL THE MONEY they reccieve. I mention to him how they do and how it's run by a reputable company, and he still wouldn't believe me until I found the fucking information (paranoid asshole, why get so wound up over $50?)

Does anyone know what site does that? My dad couldn't remember the url and a google search pulled up nothing[/quote]

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/about.php

Q. Does Child's Play charge administrative fees?
A. We try our best to have every dollar that comes in go right back to the hospitals, but there is a slight administrative cost that does get paid for with donations (for example, shipping $200,000 worth of Nintendo DS' to dozens of hospitals worldwide is not free, sadly). Historically, these charges have not exceeded 2-3%. It's true that we're a non-profit, but unlike most non-profits, we're not in it to create a self-sustainable entity. We do it to give.

This is great, i am definately donating. Take it from me, the familys with kids in these hospitals really appreciate this stuff. My little girl was in the UNC childrens hospital for a month. She is fine now, we were lucky, but there are lots of kids that are really sick, and games help make it a little more bearable!

bread's done
Back