CAG PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Night [On Indefinite Hold]

When Hone and I were playing this week I had some problems connecting too. Sometimes I'd see his server, sometimes not.

It was just me and Hone by the time I got on, so we had a one-on-one rocket-launcherfest. I gave him some competition early on, but eventually he got the best of me and I got Hpwned, so to speak.

I have a headset, but I record a podcast at 9pm on Monday nights so I'm already chatting on my PC.

ahh ok. I was wondering why you weren't saying anything. How's voip working for you on UT3? I'm not sure about the server stuff since I'm pretty new to UT3 on the ps3. I love morbias! gg silks. We should duel on other dueling maps. You want to try campgrounds sometime? It's a user created map.

Who's on for tonight? I'm deeply, madly, passionately in love with GTA4's multiplayer right now.

Plus it's Cinqo de Mayo and I want margaritas, dammit.

So I'm wondering if we're going to get much of a turnout this evening.

I'm around =D Just finals week for me. If people want to skip this week b/c of GTA4 + other stuff (finals for me). I'm ok with it. If not I'll just throw up the server and see who shows. It'd be nice to know though.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to participate again this week as the copy I bought 10 days ago on ebay with priority mail shipping has still not arrived. :(

I have mine on, but can't hear anyone / don't know if anyone can hear me.
I think the biorifle is my new favorite gun.

[quote name='hone']I have mine on, but can't hear anyone / don't know if anyone can hear me.
I think the biorifle is my new favorite gun.[/quote]

I hate that thing lol. I figured out how to avoid it just stay really far away... :D

yeah gg guys. Nice last round on morbias jman. Damn gta4 stealing my ut3 peeps :( I gotta work on my long distance biorifle! I want to try some custom content sometime soon, what do you guys think? I was thinking some new maps?

sb, there's no rush to try out new maps. I'm fine with the official ones as long as people show. It's easier on everyone as well. The new maps have to be d/led ahead of time which might hurt attendance which sucks plus we have to compete w/ gta4 for people still it seems. Also, if the numbers are like week 1, I'd be interested to do some tdm so we can get more people talking.

[quote name='bmachine']Apologies for missing last night. Cinqo de Mayo and $2.00 margaritas won out.

I'll be on next week, I swear.[/quote]

Me, and my rocket launcher missed you. ;)

I finally received my copy of the game so I'd definitely be up for play on Monday. As I won't be able to play much between then and now I'll probably be a liability for whatever team I'm on.

On a side note, this is the first PS3 game I've attempted to play online with. My previous online experience has been on the 360, the original xbox, and the PC before that. In fact, I think the original UT was the last PC game I played online. I tried playing last night and was wondering if I am missing something. I can bring up a list of games. I can see whether they allow headsets and whether they allow Mouse/Keyboard. What I can't see is which ones are in progress and which ones are about to start. Every game I jumped into last night, the game was already half over and I was already at least 5 frags down from the leader when I joined. Is this common for PS3 games? just common in UT3?, or is there some indicator of game status on the server page I'm missing?

Also how does the friend system work here? After the match I went to the online portion of my XMB bar and under previous players it only shows a couple guys that I played against in the Blazing Angels 2 demo. None of the people in Unreal Tournament were even listed.

Thanks in advance.

that's just how ut3 is and most pc fps style games. Server style games you usually join mid game and warhawk is similar. Games that use a friend / buddy list system like cod4, etc. (almost every other ps3 game I think) you make a room and then start a game. I'm not sure about the xmb bar for previous players for ut3, it could be it's not implemented / properly.

I'll attend this coming weeks game. I still need to figure out how to install the maps and stuff but I'm guessing it won't be to much of a problem.

http://www.ut3mod.com/2007/12/video-tutorial-downloading-and.html
that's the tutorial using the ps3 browser, but in short you just need to stick the JAM file that I have linked on the first post onto some external memory like any usb flash drive or if you have a 60/80 gb ps3 with memory card readers, a memory card. Make sure to put it in the root directory. The root directory is just the parent directory of everything (in windows the first folder when you double click on the drive). After that load up UT3, go to community -> custom content. Hit square to search for the content and pick the drive that you put it on and it will import it.

[quote name='hone']http://www.ut3mod.com/2007/12/video-tutorial-downloading-and.html
that's the tutorial using the ps3 browser, but in short you just need to stick the JAM file that I have linked on the first post onto some external memory like any usb flash drive or if you have a 60/80 gb ps3 with memory card readers, a memory card. Make sure to put it in the root directory. The root directory is just the parent directory of everything (in windows the first folder when you double click on the drive). After that load up UT3, go to community -> custom content. Hit square to search for the content and pick the drive that you put it on and it will import it.[/quote]

Sweet. Thank you for saving me the trouble of googling the tutorial. I'll have all the potential maps and mutators up and running before the 12th.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Sweet. Thank you for saving me the trouble of googling the tutorial. I'll have all the potential maps and mutators up and running before the 12th.[/quote]

yeah np. Alright updated the OP with instructions and thoughts for this coming week. Bring on the TDM!

First off , I have to say that I am very happy that Epic has developed this game with the ability to load custom maps, characters, and mutators. It is one of the features that made the original Unreal Tournament such a step forward in FPS's. I'd also like to :applause: Sony for allowing them to allow open user distribution of this content. It is the primary reason I chose the PS3 version over the upcoming 360 version.

HOWEVER, who is the rocket scientist that decided that all such content had to be loaded using a single filename, thus only allowing the transfer of one mod at a time? :roll: Why not designate a file extension for these mods and setup the import process to import *.extension from a predetermined directory?

A large portion of my future play will be LAN play against another local father when he brings his toddler(and his PS3) over to play with my toddlers . Again, I have to :applause: the inclusion of LAN play. Too many games are eliminating it completely in favor of online play only. Since we play LAN, it will be just him, me, and bots in a lot of games.

That being the case, I did have a couple of questions regarding custom maps and bot A.I. Back in the olden days of Unreal Tournament when I was but a young mid-twenty something, the bots had limited A.I. that could be quite decent by itself on some open maps, but that completely sucked on many map configurations unless "bot paths" and other Bot A.I. information were programmed into the maps. All the official maps had A.I. paths and info programmed in and worked quite well (with "advanced" bots seeking out good weapons and good ambush points). However, all early user created maps lacked this until more user tools became available. This brought me to my questions:

1) Does the current game include A.I. helping map features like bot paths or is the individual Bot A.I. now good enough that such measures aren't needed?

2) If bot A.I. map features are needed to make the bots semi-competitive, are they currently included in the map creation tools? or are the official maps the only ones with these features?

Also, I know that playing bots will never be as good as playing humans, but their inclusion ramps up the fun and chaos factor in for us compared to simple 1 on 1 matches. We've also found it quite fun on some games to play 2 vs. large numbers of bots.

Thanks in advance and can't wait until Monday night.

Jay

yeah, I wish more games on consoles would allow user content especially since their pc counterparts allow it like cod4 for instance. I would imagine it's easier to detect if they just search for the specific file USERDATA.JAM but I mean I can't imagine having the extension being much harder. I'm not sure but they stated they're working on making it easier. The patch will probably come after the 360 release. I bet that's where all their resources are going.

As for bot AI. I would assume #2. It has always been bot ai is specific to a map, but I could be wrong. I think it might compile it in when building the map I'm not sure. The few maps I've tested the bots seemed to work fine. i.e. no getting stuck in some weird loop.

I plan on joining Monday night. I meant to last week, but I was actually on a date and completely forgot.

Are we using any voice/chat?

[quote name='hone']those were some good rounds stranded/randy. The coop campaign is a lot of fun.[/quote]

Yeah, that was definitely a good time. Glad I met up with you guys!

[quote name='johnnypark']Are we using any voice/chat?[/quote]

Some do. We're playing a team game this week so I would recommend having your headseat juiced up and ready to go.

[quote name='johnnypark']I plan on joining Monday night. I meant to last week, but I was actually on a date and completely forgot.

Are we using any voice/chat?[/QUOTE]

it's fairly quiet, but I'm trying to encourage more voice chat.

[quote name='bmachine']Currently downloading Campgrounds. It's slower than a mofo.[/quote]

If your experience is anything like mine, expect more problems with that one. The other three maps hone linked to last week as well as the mutator worked fine. However, Campgrounds was sluggish to download and unpack/install. After installation, the game locked on the loading screen when I tried to run a game with the map. I deleted the content, redownloaded and reinstalled. Same problem. To get it to work I finally had to download it using my PC and then transfer it over using a thumb drive instead of dloading it with the PS3.

My suggestion would be to test this map after you install it.

if people are having serious issues with it we can just not play it tonight. For future user content I can host it on my server in japan for faster d/l speeds.

I have to download campgrounds for tonight's game?

someone send me an in game invite so I can meet with you guys... hopefully I'll get off of work in time to play.

I'm trying to make campgrounds required, but if too many people are having issues then I'll can it.

thomas96 I send you a psn friend request which I don't think (last I checked today) you haven't confirmed yet. I'll send you a friend request within ut3. I can then invite you or any of the others who already have him. Also it should show up in the TDM list if you enable locked servers. I posted instructions in the OP.

bread's done
Back