CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Wombat and Cheapy,
Since you guys give such good travel advice I had a question. This summer my family and I will be going to South Korea to the Seoul/Yongsan area. I was wondering if you had ever been there Cheapy and if you recommend a place to eat, or anything that someone just has to do while they are there.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

Another great show, keep up the good work!

Over the past few CAGcast's, you and Wombat have discussed Microsoft's Achievement points and Sony's upcoming Trophy's. While they currently have no 'real' value, what do you think about making these Achievement points the currency of XBLA and PSN?

I know that Microsoft and Sony probably love the easy income they receive from the arcade titles, but what better way to encourage consumers to purchase more actual $60 titles than allow them to be rewarded for progressing through the games?

They could even keep the same point values for arcade titles, as 800 points would no longer equal $10, but instead equal a near fully completed $60 game. In many 360 games, the average gamer wouldn't be able to get all 1000 Achievement points, so there would be a decent balance in terms of how much they could actually earn. On the other hand, the hardcore gamer with a large 360 or PS3 library could feel somewhat compensated for all the hours they have put into their games.

What do you guys think?

Hey CheapyD and Wombat, just wondering, what are the games you think that one should definitely get, maybe get, or just rent, for the PS3?

You guys rock
-CAGIronMan

cheapy.

i would love it if you went on ign. i'm glad that you handled the situation with class. and i think you analyzed what hillary said correctly. i do agree that he was just joking, though somewhat carelessly perhaps.

if you went on, i'm sure it would expand the cag community, which deserves more attention. and it would also hopefully lessen some of the bad feelings between the two sites. which would be great for me, as i enjoy both ign and cag.

great show
buttle

hey cheapy d and wombat i know when bully scholarship edition and gta 4 is releasing. bully is releasing march 4th and gta april 29th hope this helps you save some cash. Oh and hope i get my autographs too.

i also am woundering i couldnt get to nyc when wombat had passed out copies of advanced wars at the nintendo worlds fair. I was thinking maybe you could let me try it out because it would be a pleasure to get it.s

Hey Cheapy, do you play any games on your Mac? if so, what are they, and where is the best place to get Mac games? also, did you watch the Knight Rider tv movie on Sunday? (I know that hasnt happend yet, but by Friday, it will have :p)

Hey Cheapy,

I have recently been looking into getting surround sound for my gaming/movie watching.

I know many times you have recommended the Logitech 5500 set since they work great and are also inexpensive. I have looked and agree they look to be a price I would be fine with spending.

My question is, what do I have to do to make them work? I have never setup a surround sound before, and maybe a quick walk through would be great.

Can they hook directly into my tv, or will I need a receiver to make them work with my 360/PS3/Wii and for watching movies or tv?

Also, do they connect wirelessly to everything, or will I need to run wires throughout my living room?

Thanks a lot for your time, and I love the show :)!

I have to say, I'm a bit pissed off about the lack of PC coverage on your show. PC's are still huge sources of revenue and plenty of people play them so to not cover them and pretend you address their needs by mentioning crysis once in a show is not right.

I know you don't have a PC. You have a mac. PC's especially powerful ones are really affordable, they are no consoles of course but still.

You too wombat, you don't even need any PC training to learn how to build a good one.

Just get a dell, buy an 8800GT and put it in there.

Just because you're used to just being able to put a disc in a console and expecting it to work is not a reason you shouldn't try it out.

Please CHEAPY AND WOMBAT FOR THE LOVE OF TECH DO IT

Without cheating, do either Cheapy or Wombat know the "universal greeting" from Transformers: The Movie (not the new one, that would be 'Do you Yahoo?' or some other trendy bullshit)?

Also, regarding the surround sound question above, what kind of receiver do you have, Cheapy? Do I need one to go with that Logitech set you recommended?

Greetings and Salutations CheapyD and Wombat. I'm a huge fan of the show it's never failed to disappoint even when I didn't agree.

In CAGcast #103 you implied that the Wii couldn't do as the solo console of a hardcore gamer*. As a longtime Nintendo fan this is depressing to hear. Even more so because I agree. How would you change the Wii to make it suitable for solo console status?
Here are my ideas
  1. Space - I wouldn't put 512mb of space in a phone. It's ridiculous to have anything less than say 5gigs. Between DLC and VC Nintendo can't standby their 'console as an iPod' theory**.
  2. Nintendo takes a risk - noone ones to try making proper Wii games because of the risk factor that's why we get Trainiers & Minigames. If Nintendo would start with something like say the canceled Project H.A.M.M.E.R. Maybe other developers would get their minds correct and start making Wii games for the traditional gamer. Noone wants to go up against Mario, Zelda or Metroid so maybe new IPs.
  3. More DS connectivity - we were littered with GBA connectivity in the NGC era. GBAs were pretty popular but DS is even more popular. Now that you don't need the extremely UNPOPULAR link cable I'd really appreciate getting some sort of bonus for linking up a DS. Finding four friends with GBA and four connect cables for Four Swords was impossible. With the DS it could be fun.
  4. Colors - Maybe I've vain but those cool colors we saw at E3 should be out by now.
The DS is so close to perfect that's not much I would change.
  • I'd like to get rid of 'the gap. One of the most annoying things about Metroid Pinball was losing track of my ball in the gap. The other was my girlfriend completely destroying my score.
  • On board storage - Being able to download DS demos is great. Losing them as soon as you turn off the DS isn't.
* I presume we define the HCG as someone who isn't in the casual/new gamer section. Just beause i'm not a graphics whore doesn't make me less hardcore.
** Source: No need for Wii hard drive, says Nintendo (again)
"The way that we look at it is, we really don't want people storing every single game they buy on their drive," said NOA PR manager, Eric Walter. "When you buy a game, it's yours forever, so you can delete it, and go back and get it at any time you want. In a way, we liken it to putting music on your iPod; you listen to it for a while, and then you get tired of it, and you pull it off, and you put some new stuff on."

Note to Sidtalk re: her nephew wanting a cheap 360:
Why don't you chip in the $100 for your nephew? Sounds like he already has a handle on the value of money (for an 11 year old). I'd do this for one of my 3 nephews to save them from the crippled version of the console.

I know you're a CAG Sidtalk, but he's your nephew--show him some love.

While you're at it, get him the extended warranty for when he gets the RROD.

cheapy d and wombat plz help!!!! family guy has been cancelled for the third time can u plz write to the fox corporation and demand family guy on. i have been trying very hard with fanbases and family guy sites i have posted blogs and wrote bulletins on youtube. Will you both try to write to the president and chairman i have their postal info from a fanbase im copying and pasting it everywhere. thx for your help cheapy and wombat. Ms. Gail Berman
President
Building 100 Room 4450
10201 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90035

Mr. Sandy Grushow
Chairman
Building 100 Room 5110
10201 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90035

also you can sign a petition at this address- http://www.petitiononline.com/savefg2/petition.html there are at this moment 141,520 signatures on it i would appreciate it very much if you did this for the family guy fans.

your sincere cagcast and family guy fan,

kennyrulez25

Whatever happened to the Friday night Live show on NowLive you thought about doing? Did Tai shit all over that idea because I think having Tai as a guest host would be kind of funny.
You wouldn't have to splice all the phone calls together or anything, just do a show like your black friday deal show. Oh and Wombat can join in too...

:p (I kid Wombat because I care)

Hey cheapy and wombat,

I just saw Cheapy's interview in BBC-asia regarding the stituation of the format wars. The thing that bothered me is that there was no mention of cheapassgamer.com. The BBC guys simply said "Thats David Abrams of CAGcast japan"(something like that). It could have been a big plug to the site and the podcast. Of course BBC would never want the word ASS flashed on their screen.

Did you ever think of making changes, so that cheapassgamer.com would be more accepted in mainstream media? maybe using other links like cagcast.com or cheapyd.com . I'm sure that you'll have more interviews like this and it would be great if you can capitalize on the exposure.

Cheapy and Wombat,

I've only been listening to the CAGCast for several episodes, starting with 104. Now this may have been discussed before, but I just want to know how did Cheapy and Wombat meet? Did you guys go to school or work together since you both lived in NYC? And where in NYC did you guys live?

I don't live in "the city" (Manhattan) but frequent there for my part-time job and to meet up with friends (we live in the other boroughs >_>). I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any "Wombat Sightings" too.

Hey guys,

Lost: Via Domus is coming out soon (2/26) and I'm really surprised at the pricing model they've adopted. PS3 and 360 versions of the game are $60, while the PC version is only half as much at $30. The game is a single-player only experience, so aside from getting to sit on the couch, what's the advantage of going with the console versions? As a CAG who games on console and PC, I know I'm going for the PC version just to save the money.

Any thoughts on this deviation from the standard $50 PC / $60 PS3 / $60 360 model in favor of "bargain" pricing on the PC? Why not go bargain across the board?

Hey CheapyD,

On the most recent CAG episode you talked about Dark Messiah and how they had downloadable content on the market place prior to the games release. This got me thinking... we know game developers tend to run behind schedule and the first release dates we hear are frequently pushed back. My question is this: If a game developer is approaching their deadline and doesn't have some parts of a game finished, do you think they would make the decision to leave those parts out of the game and release them as DLC, rather than push the entire games release date back? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

hey cheapy and wombat i was wondering if there was anychance of haveing a live show again any time soon i thought they were really cool the last two times you did them and it seemed like they were really popular.

HEY Cheapy, Do you think there could be something big coming from Microsoft being that most of the Xbox 360 SKU's seems to be sold out currently, implying a possible shift in production. What do you make of the possibility of a new SKU(s) being announced at GDC??

Hey, Cheapy, did you ever end up downloading/watching the Knight Rider Pilot/Movie? If so...what'cha think?

And you're right,..it's a shame George Takei didn't voice KITT :(

172116-knight-rider.jpg

Hey Cheapy, without Cheap Ass Gamer do you think that you would be as much of a gamer as you are or will your gaming addiction always be the same. Also would Wombat's gaming habit's be as bad as they are without his part in CAG and UGO.

Cheapy and Wombat,

Which movies or general franchises would you like to see get the Lego treatment, such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Robocop is not an answer.

Cheapy and Wombat,

What seems to be a bigger issue for you?
Poor controls and camera issues
or
Overly difficult AI
?

Thanks.

[quote name='jraf']Did you ever think of making changes, so that cheapassgamer.com would be more accepted in mainstream media? maybe using other sites like cagcast.com or cheapyd.com which provides links to the site. I'm sure that you'll have more interviews like this and it would be great if you can capitalize on the exposure.[/quote]
This question came up a bunch of casts ago. Turns out CAG.com is taken by some multi-national corporation or what not. CheapyD ran into this problem before which is why he uses the alt 'CheapGamer.com" which redirects here.

Cheapy and Wombat,

Recently, the "PC Gaming is dead" arguement has come out of the closet and is rearing its ugly head around town. Have you guys played any PC games recently and do you agree with the statement.

While I believe that it is not the superior force that it once was, I think that it is far from dead. I think people tend to realize that the European market is still a huge place for PC gaming. Even Crysis which sold below expectations here, sold huge in Europe, and was pushed above one million units according to an Electronic Arts financial call recently.

Cheapy and Wombat, now that the DVD format war is officially over what are you going to do about movies? Will you be switching to just Blu-ray or buying regular DVDs? I myself have well over 250 movies and can't justify buying them again on Blu-ray, what say you?

Hey Cheapy!
If apple were to get into the gaming market do you think you would be picking up there system considering how big of a microsoft fanboy you are?? They have some good launch titles and it costs as much as the new XBOX.

Random question, but, is there a way to legitimately shuffle your Ipod while listening to it via your xbox 360? Like, as background music during games. I can shuffle it, but it always plays in the exact same "shuffled" order ._.

Hey Cheapy, I remember reading a snippit in Playboy saying that Japanese ladies are getting bigger asses and titties becasue of more westernized fatty diets. Is this something you have noticed since living there?

Hey CheapyD.

I listened to a recent podcast of yours with Wombat. You mentioned your wonder about how Kotaku gets more Web Traffic than the much higher maintenance 1up.com. Basically you said that it surprised you that a site that barely paid significant salaries to its workers was beating out 1up.

Well your comment made me think what follows, and I would like to know what you think:

1. People only go to Kotaku to get the latest in gaming news, and little else, as it is one of the fastest sites to get the news. Thus the high traffic. But they split themselves up amongst the sites they like for content relating to games: Game reviews, retrospectives, and features. Hence, why 1up is below Kotaku. IGN beats out Kotaku only because of its higher Google presence, and its larger variety of content (not only gaming related subsections).

2. Advertisers pay more for their advertisements on 1up than Kotaku as the audience is much more diverse and desirable on 1up than on Kotaku. Also, the advertisements are much more well done than on Kotaku.

3. 1up is also a print publication, with a web side component, and thus it offers once again a more attractive advertising (print and online) package for its sponsors, and thus its ability to pay its staff.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat

I love my video games and take them seriously hoping to compete in the future. i really look foward to playing people who are good competition but recently i find that alot of people dont make clans to be competitive they just make the for fun. this isnt that bad. the thing that bothers me is when someone puts Mlg infront of there name and sends you a pm saying there a free agent and they do horribly in the game. have you ever experienced this?

also theres been alot of hate towards Cheapy as of late. i would like to say that i think you are doing an amazing job and that i have noticed nothing but perfection from your performence.

keep up the good work

Top4t

Cheapy and Wombat,
What religion are you oriented too? Do you go to church or participate in whatever weekly celebrations are held in other religions besides Christianity? Will your views on things change since you now have a son? Thanks

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, as always love the PodCast!

And thanks for answering my last question!

I was just wondering if we're going to be seeing more of the "Lunch with CheapyD" video's, I thought they were pretty cool. Particularly the one with Pepsi Ice Cucumber...

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,
What is the most satisfying achievement you have unlocked?
Also, what happened to the Hype Wagon? I'd like to hear what you guys are hyped about after GDC.

Do you guys think that Sony's free cross platform PyhreEngine will be more beneficial to Sony or MS?

Do you think that blu ray winning the format war and have all major studios commit to blu ray this month will have an effect on PS3 sales for the month of Februrary

hey Wombat, what's your impression of Super Smash Bros Brawl? (This is my followup question to last week's SSBB question.)

Btw Cheapy and Wombat, what recent movies and TV shows have you watched and what do you recommend or don't recommend to the CAGs?

Shalom Biatch~! ;)

Cheapy D, Wombat included, I highly recommend picking up Sid Meier's Pirates! off the Live Marketplace. It's one of the few (if only) Xbox Original downloads that is cheaper than in retail form, if you're lucky to even find it. At $15 you are guaranteed a simple, addicting, and throughly enjoyable game that will entertain for multiple playthroughs. Just ask Mrs. Shipwreck, as she comments lengthily about the game in the most recent CAG Foreplay.

As for the spat with IGN, Cheapy would you please take a look at a recent suggestion from Esquire magazine that I have scanned for you and take its advice:
esqqj7.jpg

*it's pronounced wah-tesk-ah

Hey Cheapy,

This is more of a comment than a question. I was just listening to CAGcast # 107 and at one point Wombat points out that you sound like Howard Stern. This is something I noticed a while ago. Here are some Sternisms that you use a lot:
1) Asking "ReaAAllly?" a lot with that inflection of tone. Stern does that all the time
2) Talking about "doodie." Not only does Howard love to do this also, but he also likes to refer to it as "doodie."
3) Burping during the broadcast. That seems to have slipped out a bit more in recent CAGcasts.
4) Ending long conversations on a topic that you've lost interest in with "Who cares about _____?"
5) Insulting your co-workers. Basically, Wombat is your Bababooey.

-Yipwoop

Hey cheapy and wombat. Hopefully this gets to you before the new show.

What are the top 3 genres you two are good at playing and what are your worst three?

And what do you guys think of street fighter 4? You think it might get people back into the fighting genre?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, what do you think the stupidest acheivements are that you have seen or gotten on a 360 game. Mine are Guitar Hero II (View the credits - 10G) and Guitar Hero III (Refuse a boss battle - 0G). I really don't see the point in having an acheivement with no gamerscore.

Thanks guys, love the CAGcast (new CAGcast should be here in about 5 hours. Can't wait :D)

Hey Cheapmaster D, has a weakening U.S. economy had any impact on your bottom line? In other words, have you noticed the site making you less money than it has in the past?

And Wombat, what are you spending your tax return on?

Hey Cheapy,

Have you ever seen the show on G4 called Ninja Warrior? Besides being quite the crazy Japanese competition, G4 now seems to be more concerned with this type of import game show than actual video games.

On Ninja Warrior, old and young men alike attempt to "defeat" an extremely challenging obstacle course, and on some episodes, not a single person completes the course. A lot of the contestants build makeshift courses in their backyard or at their local park. What do you think about building a course and training Tai to be the next Ninja Warrior?

I'm finding it quite common to hear the number one complaint of game reviewers is that their constitutants focus too much on the score. I think however that games journalists are shooting themselves in the foot. A 100 point scale is insane. Writers want a score to reflect in a general sense how the writer feels about the game. The problem with this is when you have a 100 point scale I shouldn't need to read the article anymore. What exactly constitutes the difference between a 68 and a 69? or 6.8 vs 6.9 if you will. What happens is exactly what we see. Most games get rated on the 6 to 9 range. One of the things I liked about X-Play when I watched TV was for the most part they stuck to a 5 point scale. 3 for most games, 4 for good games and 5 for must buys. How good is good? Read the article.

bread's done
Back