CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Guys!

I am thinking about getting Astro's A40's gaming headphones for my birthday. What do you guys use and what have you heard about the Astro's A40s. Also, Wombat what do you use, if any, and are you going to buy a pair so Mrs. Wombat and Sabrina can sleep?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

In the previous episode you both mention how your Wii has gotten no use in over a month and I'm sure many other CAGs can say the same thing. Do you think that Nintendo can continue their success when they introduce their next console? With 60% of Wii Fit owners "playing" only once, what will the next console have to do draw back those customers?

Comments for episode 130 -

* Little Big Planet should ship with enough content to be considered a 'game' and gain the interest of the players before unleashing them as developers. While I can understand Wombat's concerns, all one needs to do is look at the Doom and Quake mod community on the PC to see that user-generated can work in the games favor.
* Wombat, *please* start up a World of Warcraft account. I'd love to hear your opinions on the #1 PC MMO on the market. Perhaps it could even be your gateway drug into PC gaming.
* I still play WiiFit at least twice a week, but I only do a handful of the exercises repeatedly. I for some reason enjoy the strength challenge section. That being said, most of WiiFit doesn't appeal to me, and I'm a guy who hits the gym 5 days a week.

To keep it short. Big fan of the show, sometimes i burst out laughing on the bus and have everyone looking at me like im crazy. Question, I have been listening to a lot of your older shows and cheapyD you have said a lot of racial comments. Cags have asked the question before and you always found a way to dodge the question. Are YOU racist cheapyD or you just dont give a fuck and dont it because its funny (like saying that things are GAY) Still love the cagcast either way GO Wombat and CheapyD!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really a gaming related question, but I know Cheapy is the man to talk to on it. I am wondering how you obtain your Howard Stern "podcasts" or show recordings that you listen to on your iphone? It's definitely not in iTunes, I have found crystalone.net but can't believe I'd have to pay to listen. I am a sirius subscriber, but they don't have the recordings available to my knowledge...

So do you use CrystalOne, or do you use methods similar to those used for obtaining movies (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more)?

Thanks in advance, love the show, congratulations to both you guys on being new dads, although Wombat's is more recent.

Tim from Minnesota

Hey Cheapy, I'm not sure if this is CAGbag worthy, but I see that Radiohead just announced they're doing a couple shows in Tokyo. Being that you're a fan, are you gonna go? I've seen them twice and my mind was completely blown. :)

I've been talking to a friend of mine about recording a podcast. We haven't made many decisions, such as whether it's serious or for fun, regular or whenever, but maybe you can help us with one decision: whether it's best to record in person, over Skype, or some third thing.

I argued that over Skype is best for listeners because it forces pure vocal discussion and weeds out "body language" discussion that listeners won't ever see. My co-host argues that in-person allows a more natural, and thus more entertaining and pleasing, discussion. What insight have you for us?

Love the podcast. It helps me get through the day in my cell of four cloth walls (a cubicle for the uninitiated).

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

With Braid's controversial release last week and the uproar in blog commenters over Bionic Commando's lack of online play this week, I'm wondering if you guys think this is a matter of the internet finding anything they can to complain about or if these expectations of what XBLA/PSN games must have are simply too high for what developers should include in their games? With Bionic Commando Rearmed, the developers cited the initial single-player-only development focus as the reason for the lack of time to get the multiplayer modes online, so is the outrage reasonable or not? The developers have been mentioning the lack of online play for months now, so is it the fault of the gamers for assuming it would be there or is it the developers' fault for not being able to deliver that feature? Is online play really a standard feature that should be in all XBLA games or should it be considered a bonus depending on the game itself? In short, what are the standards that these downloadable games should be held to, if any standards at all?

Cheapy, just downloaded the latest episode of Qore. Got a good look a Ronnie Belmonts Double D's, they don't look to much like heavy barrels to me. Granted she's cute and all but can't really go with the Double D tag as of yet. Maybe next episode. Also Cheapy, I was stationed in Japan for 6 years (Okinawa, Kadena Air Force Base) and I really didn't want to move back to the states. You are one lucky bastard because I really miss the land of the rising sun. Great show guys keep up the good work.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat. I was listening to the 1up Yours podcast and heard Shane Bettenhausen mention that the team behind Little Big Planet was going to dedicate their time and support to LBP long after it's release. This begs the obvious question, how long would they focus on Little Big Planet before they moved efforts to Little Big Planet 2.

This makes me wonder, for games in general, given a choice, would you guys prefer a development team provides strong focus and support of a game that is out, well after it's release or would you prefer that they have a fairly brief period of support and then move their attention to keeping the series fresh by beginning work on a sequel?

Hey Wombat I'm glad you didn't name your kid after a one eyed battlestar galactica character like cheapy did. When will you make a youtube video of the kid? Or will you let cheapy's kid get all the youtube glory?

Cheapy - due to the gaming conventions happening on the west coast, it seems like all the official CAG meet ups occur there as well. Do you have any plans of being in New York or somewhere in the east coast within the next year to have a meet up in the good half of the country?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

With the announcement that Burnout Paradise will be coming to the PSN this fall, do you guys think this could start a trend of PS3 games going the digital distribution route as they start to be pushed off the retail shelves? Or maybe even the start of third party games simultaneously releasing on both PSN and in retail like a few of Sony's games have done and will do in the future (Warhawk, GT5 Prologue, SOCOM Confrontation)?

Wombat, Wombat, Wombat. Are you negative about everything or is it just me. You need to have an open mind. Be less close minded. It seems the only game your looking forward to is ratchet and clank.

FYI the reason people want to hear Shipwreck is because he is open minded and tries just about everyting before discounting it.

Love the show btw.

Hey guys,

With the ability to update existing PS3 games with non-retroactive trophies, which games would you consider a second playthrough for in order to get these new trophies?

Also, what other PS3 games that you haven't played before would you consider playing for the first time?

I have recently rented Uncharted for the first time. Don't know why I waited for it but wow, it has quickly become my favorite PS3 game, possibly surpassing MGS4. My PSN profile even gained a few levels due to the new trophies.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']
FYI the reason people want to hear Shipwreck is because he is open minded and tries just about everyting before discounting it.[/quote]

And because of that accent. It's sexy and makes some of us Midwesterners feel more at home listening to the CAGCast (I live in Chic-ah-go, not Chic-aw-go). Not that Cheapy and Wombat aren't sexy or make listeners feel at home, but something about the east coast accent just seems....foreign, sometimes (Wombat's seems especially thick. I'm guessing Cheapy is losing his accent due to no longer living in New York).

Cheapy and Wombat, I'm in the same boat as you guys when it comes to the Wii. I've tried time and time again to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, but nearly every game I've played on the Wii so far has left me disappointed. That being said, why even bother discussing the Wii at all on the CAGcast? Seeing as most CAGs would consider themselves "hardcore" gamers, as I'm sure you both are, why not leave the Wii discussion to other Nintendo-oriented podcasts and just talk about the 360 and PS3? You could probably get more content in there and you wouldn't have to feel obligated to try out stuff like Wii Fit just so you could talk about it on the show.

CheapyD and Wombat, your discussion on Braid inspired me to ask you both this question, why is it that with all the discussions regarding pricing for online games is there no mention of the fact that you don't truly "own" Xbox live games in the traditional sense and how that affects feelings of price justification. For example buying Braid or any XBLA game means I lose the ability to sell or trade my game in and while that pleases developers & publishers it sure as hell doesn't please buyers such as myself.

Because of this and other limitations of the digital/DRM age I would even go as far as to say that buying games on XBLA/PSN amount to glorified "renting" and that while Emperor Microsoft feel that shouldn't have any affect on price in my opinion it does and should be prioced accordingly. Your thoughts?

[quote name='BrandonMills']Comments for episode 130 -

* Little Big Planet should ship with enough content to be considered a 'game' and gain the interest of the players before unleashing them as developers. While I can understand Wombat's concerns, all one needs to do is look at the Doom and Quake mod community on the PC to see that user-generated can work in the games favor.
* Wombat, *please* start up a World of Warcraft account. I'd love to hear your opinions on the #1 PC MMO on the market. Perhaps it could even be your gateway drug into PC gaming.
* I still play WiiFit at least twice a week, but I only do a handful of the exercises repeatedly. I for some reason enjoy the strength challenge section. That being said, most of WiiFit doesn't appeal to me, and I'm a guy who hits the gym 5 days a week.[/quote]

I don't know where you've been but in a past CAGCast (sue me for not knowing the #) Wombat DID mention playing WOW and said he liked it very much but in seeing the time sink that it is he decided it wasn't for him and stopped fairly early on in the game. He didn't really have anything negative to say about about and in fact was pretty understanding of why it is so popular but perhaps now with baby Wombat it's best he stay at arms length from WOW lest he incur the wrath of Mrs Wombat.

Cheapy and Wombat,

Girls on Film by Duran Duran was announced for the Rock Band Store next week. Do you guys plan on downloading it and singing to it using the CAGs on News lyrics?

Cheapy and Wombat,

The July NPDs were released today and it appears Sony experienced a major slump, selling 9,673 PS3 units (with the next seller being the 360 at 24,962). To what do you attribute dismal sales? What can Sony do to rectify this situation?

Did you ever think the higher ups from game stores namely Gamestop could be using CAG to determine trade in values , based on the deals & clearance prices posted on the site ?

I know it sounds like conspiracy theory , but I wouldn't put it past corporate America .

Hey CheapyD and Wombat

I’m at the age where my waist size seems to be competing with my age, 35. With the seemly willing audience to pay money for good peripherals do you think we will ever see real exercise equipment for the consoles? I hate exercise but love games. I’m thinking an exercise bike where I can race with other lard asses online. I know there was one released but it didn’t actually control anything or have online play. The wii Balance board looks neat but has no long lasting appeal or real cardio exercise.

This question is directed at Cheapy, but I would be interested to know what Wombat's response is.

I know you enjoyed Call of Juarez and I really like Call of Juarez, Gun and Red Dead Revolver. My questions is whether you would like to see more western games. There aren't exactly a lot of western titles being made but would you be willing to pay the full $60 price tag for a new western that looked good? The games are usually rather short, but would you be interested in playing another one?

This question is directed at both Cheapy and Wombat:

If you could switch lifes with any one person for an entire day who would it be and what would you do? (RoboCop is not an answer)

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, do you guys think that the Wii would have sold nearly as well it has if it didn't have motion controls?

Also do you think that Nintendo will ever go hardcore again? People say that Sony doesn't have a consumer voice/doesn't care about their consumers but at least they have stayed true to their fans by staying hardcore unlike Nintendo who have completely let down their original fans (hardcore gamers) by aiming their newer consoles at the general public.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

If you guys could be guests, either together or by yourselves, on any podcast you've yet to appear on, what would that podcast be?

Wombat, since you said a while time ago that you really enjoyed Oblivion a bit more on the PS3, at least from what I recall of your comments on that version, have you taken that into consideration for what system you want to play Fallout 3 on? Also, have started to take Cheapy's recommendations for what games you should play after he told you that MGS4 was not going to be a game you'd enjoy? You two have made claims before that your tastes are similar enough, so I'm wondering if there's a little voice in your head now that makes you question recommendations from your narcoleptic co-host?

Hey Guys,

I recently listened to a certain IGN podcast (don't know why I would listen to IGN, just did), in which a reviewer who I shall not name stated that the controls on Metroid Prime 3 were not all that great like he thought they were when he was reviewing the game. He mentioned that another shooter (Medal of Honor) which launched around the same time as Metroid had controls that actually obliterated Metroid's. This same exact reviewer also wrote an article that you guys mentioned on the CAGcast a long time ago that had a headline stating something along the lines of:

"It plays better than any first-person console game ever... really."

Found in this article:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803978p1.html

My question for you two is: Have you ever felt lied to by a reviewer in which you purchased a game and then had complete disagreement with he/she to the point where you thought they were playing a completely different game? I don't completely disagree that Metroid has great controls, but IGN has given out many high marks and then gone back on their word after a few months. The decreasing credibility of reviewers can become a real problem in this industry, and you see more and more of it over time.

Yo Cheapness and Wombatful,

Do you guys own any rare games? If you do, do you plan on selling them in the future? Do you care about owning a rare game that is highly sought after?

Thanks.

Has there ever been something your wife put her foot down on you not purchasing?
i.e. Cheapy's friend who's wife wiped him so hard he can't have a free 360. BTW what happened?

[quote name='thorbahn3']Cheapy's friend who's wife wiped him so hard he can't have a free 360. BTW what happened?[/quote]

I still can't get over how much of a tight ass she is.

I hear there will be a game trading integrated into cag. I am excited to see what this is all about and be a participant. But I was just curious what happened to Goozex on your site, you guys never mention them. Is this because you and Goozex will become competitors? It sounds like your service will be free?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, how about doing a one time 5 minute section on the Cagcast highlighting the layout of the website? Touching on things like itrader, deals, etc. Treat it like a refresher for older Cags and a guide to new ones. The Cagcast is getting so big now that some people tuning in don't really frequent the website outside of d/ling the show... people like me that stumbled upon this place thanks to a certain towel trick video on youtube.

Cheapy and Wombat,
I have two Japan related questions and one Wombat related comment/request.

1. I read a story about a guy who moves to Japan. When he goes to have his hair cut, they put a warm towel over his head and whack his head. I know you don't have much cause to visit barber shops over there, but I thought you might be able to offer some insight. You must know people with hair, right?
2. My friend was dating a Korean guy and she told me that Asian nutsacks aren't divided into two "pouches". Just one pouch for both jewels. I can't see any reason for this and never quite believed it, but have never been in the position to confirm or deny this. Maybe Mrs. Cheapy could confirm this?
3. If you ever make a new batch of t-shirts or wrist bands, I would love to see Wombat's quote regarding downloadable content on one of them: "I don't want to download hundreds of penis levels"

Thanks.

The Olliellama

Cheapy and Wombat,

Do you guys ever use eBay? I sell nearly all my games on eBay to get the best value. I know you guys sometimes use Gamestop but I haven't heard you guys mention eBay lately. Also, in your lives, what percentage of people call you by your real names compared to your superhero names, CheapyD and Wombat?

CheapyD and Wombat! Ok on the 72 ep of the CAGcast you said that you think too human was going to be a solid game, do you stand by your statement? Should we not buy a game best on reviews? this is not the first game it has happened to but it seems the reviewers for too human were a little harsh exspecially Gamespot with a 5.5. i bought the game and loved it. i just think everybody has a different tasted in games.

[quote name='GuruuShah']CheapyD and Wombat! Ok on the 72 ep of the CAGcast you said that you think too human was going to be a solid game, do you stand by your statement? Should we not buy a game best on reviews? this is not the first game it has happened to but it seems the reviewers for too human were a little harsh exspecially Gamespot with a 5.5. i bought the game and loved it. i just think everybody has a different tasted in games.[/quote]

Didn't cheapy rant about that a-hole dennis dyack? he said the game sucked so fucking much lol in the newer cagcast.. how he sent the demos out

[quote name='misterine']Didn't cheapy rant about that a-hole dennis dyack? he said the game sucked so fucking much lol in the newer cagcast.. how he sent the demos out[/quote]
lol fuck tard it didnt come out when he did the podcast and i want to hear what both cheapyD and Wombat have to say not just cheapy. Yes the demo was out but just in case your a little slow let me give you the definition of demo: "a freely-distributed "try-out" version of a video game, usually fully playable but INCOMPLETE".
Just in case hear the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_demo

I've seen people tell those who pirate games that they are the reason game prices are going up, that next time a studio closes they are partially to blame, etc, etc. Yet, you don't hear these arguments towards people who buy used games. While, under both situations the publisher/developer never sees a dime.

In your opinion, what does more harm to developers, or what do they dislike more, people who pirate games, or the used-game business as a whole?

To some extent, I think the used game business may be worse for them, as it is legal and moms and dads, along with CAGs have no problems picking up used games, while they wouldn't necessarily pirate a game...

[quote name='ecmazza']I think the used game business may be worse for them, as it is legal and moms and dads, along with CAGs have no problems picking up used games, while they wouldn't necessarily pirate a game...[/quote]

I see what you are saying but I'd disagree.

A lot of people who buy games new sell them. Part of the reason that many people pay $60 for a game is that they know that they can sell the game later. The price of a new game currently covers that it may be sold to other gamers in the future. They aren't losing any money because they are selling lots of copies for lots of money. If the current system made it so people couldn't make any money making video games, then the only video games would be freeware PC games.

Pirated games don't even give the producers any money on the first sell of a game. In the past, software piracy was among friends or small networks... now it is available to everyone with a little computer saavy. A used game has 2-10 potential owners... while a pirated copy could reach millions of people.

I'm no saint myself, but now that I'm an adult with an income I feel good supporting quality games.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I see what you are saying but I'd disagree.

A lot of people who buy games new sell them. Part of the reason that many people pay $60 for a game is that they know that they can sell the game later. The price of a new game currently covers that it may be sold to other gamers in the future. They aren't losing any money because they are selling lots of copies for lots of money. If the current system made it so people couldn't make any money making video games, then the only video games would be freeware PC games.

Pirated games don't even give the producers any money on the first sell of a game. In the past, software piracy was among friends or small networks... now it is available to everyone with a little computer saavy. A used game has 2-10 potential owners... while a pirated copy could reach millions of people.

I'm no saint myself, but now that I'm an adult with an income I feel good supporting quality games.[/QUOTE]

I too am not a saint, but I have never pirated a game (several reasons, morals, fear of bricking, not tech-savy, etc), but I buy used A LOT, especially now that GS keeps pumping out these 25% off used coupons.

And I am not sure if the price of people selling used is built in to the price of the game. Warhawk on the PSN costs the same as at GS, same with when Burnout comes out on the PSN.

I also think, in the past, the selling or trading of games was between a much smaller group of people or friends, but now with GS (and places like Best Buy thinking about getting into seriously) Goozex, etc, the practice is much different now than before.

I don't, however, have the answer. I do think this is a reason why publishers and developers want digital distribution to take off.

But you make good points, no doubt...

Hey Cheapy and Wombat

As you know the new PSP 3000 model is coming out this October in the U.S. for $200.

My question for you is do you think its worth buying this new psp for the only 2 additions to the system, the mic and the better screen.

As always the cagcast is great keep up the amazing work.
icon10.gif

I really like the idea of DLC coming out for games that have been out a good period of time, which adds new missions or a chapter to your game. It gives you a reason to go back to a game you would have just forgotten about or traded in. My question to you guys is, what do you think is a fair price and the "perfect" amount of gameplay time for added content? (ala Mass Effect or Ratchet and Clank, for example). The new content for Ratchet has received criticism for it's "more of the same" game play and price point. IMO, $10 would be the sweet spot for me for new content. I would love to see more games add new content, rather than the crappy DLC of costumes for your characters, cars, etc that we often see.

bread's done
Back