CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

I'm sure with the rapid fire of high profile releases there are games that you haven't had time to pick up. Games that maybe got pushed back because there are only so many hours in a day especially with an infant. What games are you looking forward to getting into in 09 that you have so far missed in 08?

Strolling through my local EBs/GSs, I could not help but notice that all of the "NEW" games were opened with the games removed. Doesn't it lose its "NEW" status if they break the wrap off, cut security stickers, pepper it with their labels (because 1 sticker is never enough) and remove the game.

At best, these should be as DEMOs or slightly used. I am not 12 and understand how thief prevention is a necessity. I usually buy used or bargain bin games being a true cheap ass, but I want to break that cherry wrap when I buy a NEW priced game. Not seconds to the "game experts". So I must now hunt for new games elsewhere...

What is your opinion to this vile practice?

Thanks, (and you guys rule!)

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

So Microsoft went further in their endless quest to stop people that live outside of Japan from playing the RE5 demo by now keeping the demo itself from just loading off of the hard drive, meaning that unless you burnt it to a blank disc, you're not playing it until they release it outside of Japan. Should they have just given up and taken the stance of not caring about people creating accounts for other regions like Sony does with PSN?

What is the more impressive number: 28 million Rock Band songs sold or 22.5 million times user-generated levels were played online in LittleBigPlanet?

Wombat, we've faced off twice so far in the Wombat Fantasy Football League and I've beaten you twice to knock you out of title contention. Are you confident about winning our third match-up for the consolation prize of fifth place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Halcyon Games is doing the new terminator game which is based on the new terminator movie (ugh) also being done by Halcyon Company. For the most part the same company rarely does the movie and the game. Since the only one I can think of is LucasArts and the Star Wars games back in the day were pretty good do you think this bodes well for the Terminator: Salvation game? Are we getting another Riddick or yet another suckfest?

This one's for either Wombat or Cheapy.

With the November sales numbers in, we see that sequels or yearly-releases in a franchise, such as Madden '09, Gears of War 2, and Call of Duty: World at War have sold millions of units each. New IPs, however, have struggled to sell any number of units, with Dead Space selling only 421,000 copies, Left 4 Dead selling 410,000, Mirror's Edge selling a paltry 145,000, Little Big Planet a shocking 141,000, and Valkyria Chronicles a scant 33,000 copies. My question is, why do you think these games didn't sell well? Was it the time they were released, the economic situation, the quality of the title, or were people just not interested?

Personally, I find it depressing how many people berate EA and Activision for releasing nothing but sequels and yearly-iterations in a franchise, but rush out to buy them and ignore new games that are trying something different.

To Cheapy and Wombat:
What is your best weed-related story?

Oh and happy new year's! Along with...Christmakkah or whatever you guys are celebrating.

The Wii and the iPhone have something in common besides their popularity among the masses. They both have a glutton of really horrible and bad games. Two quesitons.

1) Which do you think has the most favorable ratio of good games to bad games?
2) Which will have an easier time changing that ratio and which is more likely to do it?

I never thought I'd miss the gamecube days but the gamecube had a pretty nice ratio and for all the kid games we got there was a nice stream of decent to good games constantly that we seems to be lacking on the Wii. 09 is looking good though (The Conduit, MadWorld, DragonQuest, Onechanbara Bikini Zombie Slayers, Deadly Creatures, HoD: Overkill, Tenchu)

Cheapyd and wombat,i remember back in may of last year that you guys said Microsoft has no chance of success in japan. Now we are seeing some pretty good success and momentum from them with 360 outselling ps3 for 7 weeks in a row before and the sales are up triple the amount from normal for some time now. How do you feel about this?

Cheapy and Wombat,

How do you guys feel about companies putting out premium content for games that are basically broken? We've seen this most recently with Gears Of War 2 and the new Combustible Map Pack. This is a game that desperately needs to be fixed in the online department to actually be playable, yet it seems that Epic's only concern is charging for maps that definately were developed before the game launched.

Hey Cheapy, what's up with the f-word being censored on CAG? Is it just a funny gimmick or do you, a person who tells stories of a guy eating a piece of shit for money, just not want the word on CAG?

I would also like to thank Cheap Ass Gamer for bringing my family such incredible deals this holiday season. Because of CAG I have the bundles for Guitar Hero III, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith & Rock Band 2 sitting under my tree. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Greetings, gentlemen! Wombat, have you thought about marketing yourself in a Shawnimals fashion? I know I'd buy a Wombat plush and possible Wombattown game. Cheapy, same question. I think you two possess enjoyable personalities and could market anything---especially big ass chains.

A quick question: everyone who listens to the CAGcast knows Cheapy is anal when it comes to the pronunciation of karaoke. Why does that not apply to Akihabara? Cheapy is fine with saying aki-harbara when it should be pronunced aki-ha-bara. Thoughts?

[quote name='withoutnature']A quick question: everyone who listens to the CAGcast knows Cheapy is anal when it comes to the pronunciation of karaoke. Why does that not apply to Akihabara? Cheapy is fine with saying aki-harbara when it should be pronunced aki-ha-bara. Thoughts?[/quote]

Japanese has no stress on the syllables, but when talking in English it's pretty much impossible to ignore doing that. He's got a New York Jew accent--that's why he does it. If you want to get technical about it it should be pronounced a-ki-ha-ba-ra. To the other thing, when you live in Japan, saying "carry-oh-key" is truly grating as it's soooo wrong--it's like living outside of the rural American South and saying "new-kill-ur" when talking about atomic power or "High-why-yuh" for the island state in the Pacific Ocean. In fact, it's so wrong that most English-speaking Japanese in Japan wouldn't even understand you. As a guy who lived in Japan, my foreign friends and I learned quickly that everybody says karaoke like the locals. It's funny to me that Cheapy says he thinks it makes him sound like a douche--because I think that's only true when talking to native English-speakers who haven't lived in Japan and who don't understand. But then again I could just be a douche, too. :lol: He really would be a douche if he said "Hanbaga" when he was talking in English about a hamburger or "biru" when talking in English about a Budweiser.

Now to my question:

What non-gaming present are you guys getting this year? This year was my year for a watch--got a nice German-made automatic one that will last a lifetime and beyond. (somebody else's pics here)

And to turn that around, what are the chief cheapasses getting for Shima and Mrs. Wombat?

Happy Hanukah boys. Is it wrong to download Dorito Dash just to get teh easy 200 gamerscore points? I completed the single player games this morning and got 190 points. All that is left is to win a multiplayer game, I will cheat.

Hello Wombat and Cheapy.

My fiancee is a non-gamer. Bizarrely she loves to listen to the CAGcast, however, and by now has amassed a fair bit of knowledge about you two. I generally play it through her car's ipod stereo when we're driving around New Jersey or New York. Though she tunes out when games are discussed, she enjoys hearing (and seeing pics of) about Baby Tai, Sabrina Eden and your respective lives... especially strange Japanese tomfoolery, Wombat's impersonation of his mother, and the two of you ribbing each other. She only tunes out the show when the toilet humor and talk of Cheapy's bowel movements get a bit too thick for her delicate sensibilities.

HOWEVER, she is curious about the enigmatic Mrs Cheapy and Mrs Wombat. I promised her that I'd inquire, since to my knowledge, barring some guest-starring on the podcast, these two ladies are ciphers in my fiancee's eyes. SO, as a proxy for my lovely fiancee, I'm asking her question: Why are there no family photos of The Complete Cheapy Family or the Wombat Clan? Is Mrs Cheapy a O-Ren Ishii who can't afford to be seen in case The Bride gets to her? Is Mrs Wombat horribly scarred like Madame Masque from the comics?

If there are no existent pics, is there any chance of a holiday photo to prove that you and Wombat aren't married to imaginary people?

Cheers, happy holidays, and gambatte!

Vrylakos and future Mrs Vrylakos.

This is more comment than question, but I just wanted to mention that not only did I sign up for Netflix through your link for the 360, but I'm getting my parents to sign up as well. I got them a Netflix streaming box for Christmas, so it fit perfectly.

Enjoy your truckloads of money, Wombat!

cheapy dizzle and wombizzle i have a question for you. I am an old school gamer that grew up on nes, snes and 64. i am now an raging shooter fan, or should i say a raging COD 4 fan. I learned to play shooters on the N64 and now i can only use legacy controls (Left stick - move forward/backward look left right, right stick strafe left right, look up down.) Much to my dismay a lot of games are not offering legacy controls and it makes the game unplayable to me farcry 2, crackdown, deadspace to name a few. COD, Halo and Gears are the only games i can play. i need you to get the word out to these designers that there are a lot of us "legacy" people out here and we will not buy their games if they don't have that control options. it's really a lose lose. Don't let legacy die. thanks guys love the show blah blah blah.

Cheapy big fan of the show but only started a couple episodes ago. Why are you in japan ant first i thought you were at that convention but you live in japan explain and Osaka grandma are you married to a Japanese women. can you even speak japnese please explain thanks and love the show

Hey

I just wanted to say great last show (it was very good Christmas Eve listening material). I really liked You, Wombat and Shipwreck doing a show together and thought why don't you did this more often? Like every month or so the three of you (and maybe even Mrs. Shipwreck) get together and have a super CAG team show? I think it'll be really nice to have the whole CAG team together reflecting on the month and the Inevitable bashing of games that everyone else seems to like.

Just a thought, thanks and keep up the good work :)

CheapyD and Wombat, do you think sony should remake ps2 games to ps3 format like the wii is doing with the gamecube games?

do you think that would maybe save them?

Cheapy and Wombat - I have to say that the Netflix streaming movies is really cool. And, many have downloaded games via XBLA and PSN. How long do you think it'll be before games and movies for that matter are sold strictly as downloads, therefore, no used games, no borrowing games, no swapping games, and same for movies. Sony created the BluRay, and won the format war over the HDDVD, but why is any disk needed at all if you can just stream from Netflix or download the game to a hard drive? I suppose it'd take a rather large hard drive to hold my entire game collection, but I think its fairly clear that's the direction things might be going.

[quote name='mahi']cheapy dizzle and wombizzle i have a question for you. I am an old school gamer that grew up on nes, snes and 64. i am now an raging shooter fan, or should i say a raging COD 4 fan. I learned to play shooters on the N64 and now i can only use legacy controls (Left stick - move forward/backward look left right, right stick strafe left right, look up down.) Much to my dismay a lot of games are not offering legacy controls and it makes the game unplayable to me farcry 2, crackdown, deadspace to name a few. COD, Halo and Gears are the only games i can play. i need you to get the word out to these designers that there are a lot of us "legacy" people out here and we will not buy their games if they don't have that control options. it's really a lose lose. Don't let legacy die. thanks guys love the show blah blah blah.[/QUOTE]

Old school -- try the Telstar and Atari paddles...heh, old school...

Hey CheapyD

I am going to be in Tokyo for a few days next month I was wondering if you could shout out a few stores I should stop at (video games, music, food etc) that you think your average CAG would be interested in in FACT ohuw about could you put together a Top 10 stores in Tokyo that you feel you must see. Pictures will be generously accepted.

Thanks
ReflectionTheory

Hi Cheapy/Wombat,

I have two questions ...

Question 1: It's that time of the year for every gaming related blog/website to create its Game of the Year list. So I'm wondering, what do you guys think should be the relevant criteria for selecting a game of the year? Should it be a melange of technical proficiency and a good time/value ratio or should it just be about how much fun you had?

Question 2: I was wondering what your gaming predictions are for 2009. What games do you think will be great or terrible? What studios will excel or fail? What general trends can we expect in sales? Etcetera

Is the western an underated gaming idea?

First I have to think Wombat for recommending Silverado a few CagCast back, what a great movie. It got me to thinking, why are their not very many good Western themed games?

I can think of Red Dead Revolver and Gun as decent ones, but it seems as a whole this genre gets no gaming love. Do the two of you know of any gaming gems I am not aware of and what do you think a great western game would include?

Is there any information on Sony's plans for sku releases for the playstation 3???

Will the 80GB model remain in the current release slot... or will a new version come out early this year?

this is for cheapyD and wombat

lets say that you guys have a game reviewing site and the company that made shaq-fu paid you guys alot of money to promote their game will you give them a bad review?

This is a question for Cheapy,
I have been listening to old cagcasts as i do when i play videogames and have no new podcasts to listen to, and i keep hearing about exciting new things you are planning to do with Cag and the Cagcast. Things like the video podcast, the game collection system, guests of the cagcast including rocksolidaudio or shipwreck are things i would really enjoy but it seems that they will never happen, so i got one question, CheapyD what gives?

Well guys thanks for your time, keep it up.

hey cheapy,
i dont see you do too many videos on youtube eating or drinking wierd japanese sundries. have you run out of ideas, or are you even lazier than i expect? i heard about the new white yogurt flavored pepsi as well as different seasonal doritos flavors only available in japan, such as mushroom butter and spicy sausage, so i had to have them. Is there anything strange i might not know about that might tickle my fancy. with love and deep respect, logan.

Cheapy,

You previously mentioned being underwhelmed with your DSi and considered getting rid of it. Now that there's some DSiWare out (or coming soon- I'm not sure), have you changed your mind, or did you already pull the trigger and get rid of it?

-Hbomb

Hey CheapyD,

First time poster here but a long time listener of your awesome podcast.

Just wanted to give you a heads up since you seem to be watching alot of documentaries lately. You should really watch this documentary called "The Great Happiness Space: The Tale of an Osaka Love Thief" on netflix. It's avaliable through live streaming on netflix. It's a documenary on Japanese hosts in Japan and their female customers, why they come to host clubs, and what it's like for Japanese men to do this kind of work. I thought you'd be interested in this documentary since I also remember in one of your older podcast, you mentioned you had a friend who worked at a host club and had to eat Poo for a ridculous amount of money. Anyways hope you watch it because I think you would find this documentary very fascinating. Let me know how you like it if you ever get a chance to watch it.

On a different note, speaking of movies, you and Wombat should really watch "Slumdog Millionaire" with your spouse which is out in theaters right now. Great Movie. I think you guys would really enjoy that movie with your spouse.

Tony

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

With the current economic downfall we are facing here in the states do you think more game developers will offer games at a lower MSRP? I know I jumped on Banjo and Kazooie because of the cheap price point before I thought about other 60$ blockbuster titles. Do you think developers can afford to do this with high production costs, or do you think they can survive with a 39.99 game and then nickel and dime us for DLC that we will need to fully enjoy the game?

Thanks

Brandon

Hello, Cheapy and Wombat. Considering Shipwreck's Ginger, who would both of you be on Gilligan's Island?

I jest. My real question is: Do you think Sony will release a PS4? If Sony does release a PS4, what do you think it will be? Taking into consideration how developers Valve and Bethesda have spoken out about the difficulties in developing games with the PS3 in mind, do you think Sony will try to make as bold a statement with their hardware as they did this generation? What do you think Sony needs to do to succeed next generation?

Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Wombat,

Since you are an advertising guy, what game(s) do you think had the best ad campaign in 2008, and which had the worst?

My 2 cents - Best = GTA IV; Worst = LittleBigPlanet (not talking about quality of either game here, just the ad campaigns...)

Cheapy and Wombat,

Happy Holidays!

Got a couple of quick questions.

First, what are your favorite Holiday TV specials? I'm going with Rudolph.

Secondly, everyone is talking about what Sony has to do to get back into the game this generation and that 2009 will be the year of the PS3. My question is what does Microsoft have to do to make sure they bury Sony, and encroach on Nintendo's stranglehold on the top of the NPDs?

Looking forward to the show

hey d00ds,

What recent movies have you seen that you would like to recommend? And what songs or music albums do you recommend we should check out?

Thanks.

If you were a Alien from another planet and the only thing you knew about video games were Kotaku comments from posts would you ?

A) Think video games were fun activities played during times of leisure
B) Torture devices used only to make people unhappy and beckon outcry
C) Destroy the earth after the first read

Hey guys,

How have technical glitches affected your experience with Fable 2 so far? I've really been trying to enjoy the game but I'm just not going to deal with the constant freezing anymore. I've tried multiple discs and problems still persist. I really wish I could be getting the full enjoyment of this supposedly amazing game, but it's unfortunate that so many glitches are preventing that experience from happening.

Hey guys will you ever consider giving cag to tia. Him sabrina and if the shipwrecks have a kid could continue the site and the podcast i even came up with some screen names

tia-CheapyT
sabrina-Joey (baby wombat)
shipwrecks-Trainwrecks

bread's done
Back