CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

He is my question
Cheapy does anyone in japan talk about the oil spill in the gulf. Do people even know about it?

[quote name='meager']Do you guys know any details about EA's Online Pass? (Is it on the new Skate game?) Will the single pass work for everyone on the same console or will a family of gamers need to purchase passes for individual gamertags? And will this force EA to give more support to their games, since gamers are now paying money expressly to access a server, or will they persist on discontinuing support of a game after just a couple years? (Whatever happened to the shelf life of games?)[/QUOTE]
I had a similar question on the EA online pass. I'm wondering if they are planning to discontinue the online servers for a game after a year or two...what happens if you buy the pass late in the game's life (like you bought it a year in, and then they turn around and discontinue it a few weeks later). Do we expect that to be an issue, or does CAGcast think they are already planning for that? My guess was that they might revoke it from the game marketplace a few months prior to retiring the server...but that has its own issues.

Normally Wombats contribution to the show are pretty worthless. But a few of the things I do enjoy hearing him talk about are Star Wars, DC, and Marvel topics.. That being said, I would really like to hear his opinion on this last season of Smallville and where he thinks the show is going in terms of the story and how much longer he thinks it can go on for. And last thing.. Wombat please stop with the stupid music humming while Cheapy is reading the Go Daddy ad's! it was funny for like a second the first time you did it but now its just annoying, NOT funny and lame. THANKS

[quote name='Bioshock']. And last thing.. Wombat please stop with the stupid music humming while Cheapy is reading the Go Daddy ad's! it was funny for like a second the first time you did it but now its just annoying, NOT funny and lame. THANKS[/QUOTE] I'm sorry but it still cracks me up... his ipad bleep bloop noises made me smile last episode.

Guys,

With Ubisoft announcing they will get in on the EA style project $10 DLC and some other kind of code system, don't you think the publishers are starting to get a bit greedy?

Wouldn't a more effective way of combating used game sales be to put out quality titles that people will want to pay $60 for, and not want to trade in?

A few questions

Cagcast 200 has hit what a milestone

How many more cagcasts do you guys see in your future

Cheapy lots has changed since cagcast 1 your move for instance

What do you see for your immediate future

Wombat

You have had tons of jobs since the first cagcast you think you will have alot more

Shipwreck

Go fuck yourself

Great show, Shipwreck! We miss Mrs. Ship, but Cheapy and Wombat are almost as good as replacements.

Hey guys,

I was listening to your discussion about EA and Ubisoft charging extra for used buyers to play the whole game, and facepalmed when you concluded that it doesn't affect you. You don't have to get outraged or even care, but I would have expected you of all folks to understand how this will play out. This DOES affect you significantly, even if you only buy your games new, and here's why.

You think that extra $10 (or $20, in the case of SOCOM) is going to come from the cheapskates who buy used games? Of course not. What's going to happen is that buy prices and trade prices are going to drop by exactly $10. When you buy EA Super Hyped Newgame for $60 and discover you hate it for whatever reason, when you bring it to GameStop or trade it on Goozex the next day, you'll be getting $35 instead of $45 (or whatever it would have been).

EA is devaluing your games, and unless you keep all your games forever, this affects you. You (the gamers who can afford to buy games new) should be the ones getting outraged about this. Broke guys like me will just have to keep on buying used, and we'll just have to avoid EA titles from now on unless they're at crazy low clearance.

Which is another thing that's been bugging me: you keep saying that game companies don't benefit from used sales, but that's not really true. When Joe buys a game new for $60 and then sells it to me a month later for $30, what essentially has happened is that Joe and I have each given the company $30. Neither of us could have afforded the whole unsubsidized $60, so if used sales were illegal, that's $60 the game companies would never have seen. So please don't say that used games are the same as piracy, that's hurtful and inconsiderate to those of us who try to support the industry in the small way we are able, rather than resorting to stealing. Thank you!

~Justme8800

PS, Great show, really! I complain because I care. :D

I'm sure Wombat figured this out by now, but the campsite in Red Dead Redemption allows you to save, change clothing, save your current horse and fast travel. You can fast travel to places you've been, but also if you set a waypoint on the map, you'll go to the nearest spot that's on a road near there.

My biggest beef with the game is the lack of instruction; tutorials pop up while things are still happening around you, your journal only catalogs so much of what just happened and many things aren't even directly addressed. A dedicated "how to play" section in the menu would go a long way to making parts of the game more fun in the beginning. That said, I'm really enjoying the game, and I could never seem to get past the first few hours of GTA IV. Expert aiming is the only way to play.

Also, I believe Sam Lake said the DLC for Alan Wake wouldn't continue Wake's main story, but instead focus on side stories. Alan will (hopefully) be back in "Season 2," which it sounds like they already have mapped out. So far, there's two DLC packs in the in-game menu right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two questions, both regarding E3.

1. Any predictions on the big announcements we may be hearing at E3?
2. Rumor is that Capcom will have a big reveal about a new sequel that's going to be "BIG NEWS". Any idea what it would be or what you would like it to be?

Great podcast guys, keep it up!

Cheapy, Wombat, and Ship: Are gamers such slaves to hype and marketing that anything that gets a huge marketing push will become an instant best seller? Take Red Dead Redemption for example. The first game, Red Dead Revolver, was by most accounts a good western game. However it didn't sell too well as Rockstar had purchased the game from Capcom while it was already in development and it didn't get the full Rockstar marketing Blitz behind it (probably because they were busy pushing GTA San Andreas that year).

Now I can't go anywhere without seeing ads for Red Dead Redemption, in movie theaters, on TV, on the display TV's at Target, in ads in magazines, and ads on the internet and Xbox Live and is discussed on every podcast. I see that it is the number one ordered game on Amazon and also Gamestop and is destined to be the #1 selling game of May when the NPD's come out (probably even beating Mario Galaxy 2). Once again the Rockstar hype wagon has kicked into high gear and the sales numbers and Metacritic ratings are showing the results. Remember GTA IV and its inflated Metacritic score that most people in retrospect think was too high? Do you know anyone who loved the game enough to even finish it?

On the other side of the coin both Call of Juarez games didn't get much marketing hype and almost instantly found the bargain bin...

My Xbox 360 just red-ringed for the second time. It's old, being manufactured in 2006. I remember an extension of the warranty back in 2007, but it wouldn't cover me up to today, would it? If not, what's my best option going forward? Buy an arcade and plug in my hard drive? Wait for the slim Xbox 360 purported to be at E3? What would you do in my shoes

I understand that Cheapy, you are not easily offended by a lot of games in the media (Mass effect boobage and GTA to name a couple) I was just wondering what risqué subject would it take in a game for you to say "I'm not going to play this.". A game based around the world trade center? The holocaust? Same question for Wombat and Shipwreck.

Thanks.

Just curious.

Why no mention of Walmart in the front page video game deals. This week I bought Super Mario Galaxy 2 with a $20 gift card and free shipping. As far as I could see, that was the best deal around.

I understand why Walmart is disliked, but it's not like the games sold at Walmart come from a different place from the games sold at Gamestop.

thanks
buttle

[quote name='olster1']I understand that Cheapy, you are not easily offended by a lot of games in the media (Mass effect boobage and GTA to name a couple) I was just wondering what risqué subject would it take in a game for you to say "I'm not going to play this.". A game based around the world trade center? The holocaust? Same question for Wombat and Shipwreck.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

that is a really good question

For Wombat, I know you saw Iron Man 2, so I assume you saw the scene after the credits
Seeing Mjolnir, Thor's hammer
which of course paves the way for a certain movie. How did you react and how do you think the movie is going to play out in terms of story?

For Cheapy, I know you love Saint's Row, and of course part 3 is expected to be shown at E3. Where would you like the game to go and if there are any, what things would like to see fixed or added to the game?

Wombat,

I've been watching a lot of "The Marriage Ref" on NBC, and I noticed that every episode has at least one couple from Long Island, and more than once they have been your neighbors in the 'Pequa. I was wondering when you and Mrs. Wombat would be appearing on the show, and what you plan on fighting about?

Cagcast,

Recently you mentioned how Gamestop was trying to become more prominent in the online selling business. Well, I know first hand why they aren't already.

Let me tell you a tale.

I bought a game from their website. Recieved an email two days later saying there was something wrong with my payment info. I check my bank account. Nope. Nothing wrong, the Gamestop payment is being processed. I reply back saying everything is fine. 3 days go by. No word from them. I then email asking to either send my item or cancel & refund my order. A miracle must have happened because after that my item was suddenly being shipped. With no notice from them on what the original issue was. So now, I get my game 10 days later because Gamestop is run by retarded monkeys when I could have just gone to a retail store and bought it. The 20 dollars i saved using their online codes, was not worth this hassle. fuck gamestop.

The end.

- Lenny

Whatever the morning, Monday, Tuesday, or even a Thursday. I download the CagCast as soon as its up. The thought of a 2 hour show listening to two geniuses and a god brightens my day whatever the day may hold. Mr cheapyd sir, there is no one better who could have started CAG and host the CagCast. Wombat, With out you and your witty humor, it would be a very boring one man podcast. Plus, you look like peter griffin. But thanks for getting cheapy into this. Last but not least, Shipwreck, the wisest of them all. A man of not many words, but what words you say are stuff of legend. Also, cool hair. Although this is not a question, this is more of a thank you to all of you for the cagcast and making it to your 200th episode.

Also a thanks to SPJOHN.

[quote name='Bootstrapwill']Whatever the morning, Monday, Tuesday, or even a Thursday. I download the CagCast as soon as its up. The thought of a 2 hour show listening to two geniuses and a god brightens my day whatever the day may hold. Mr cheapyd sir, there is no one better who could have started CAG and host the CagCast. Wombat, With out you and your witty humor, it would be a very boring one man podcast. Plus, you look like peter griffin. But thanks for getting cheapy into this. Last but not least, Shipwreck, the wisest of them all. A man of not many words, but what words you say are stuff of legend. Also, cool hair. Although this is not a question, this is more of a thank you to all of you for the cagcast and making it to your 200th episode.

Also a thanks to SPJOHN.[/QUOTE]

brought a tear to my eye :cry: :cry: :cry: lol

Shipwreck,

I used to like on Foreplay when you'd talk about the older/obscurer games you managed to pick up during the week. Any chance you could bring a bit of that to the CAGCast?

Cheapy and Wombat, Congratulations on reaching episode 200

Here's a dousy:

I recently got into an argument with someone (now old friend) about how I choose not to let my kids (2 boys: 5 and 2 years old) see violent games (ie: Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause 2 and Demon Souls). I also choose not to play games while my kids are awake since I value my time with my children over gaming. My boys and I on occasion will game together but when we do it's playing kiddie games (just got modnation racers for them... ok, and for me lol). He on the other hand will game all day and put his kids in another room in front of a tv. He also thinks I'm a "pussy" that I don't allow my boys to see those kinds of games.

That being said.... Since you guys have kids, do you subject your kids to the games you play (if not age appropriate) and how much does having kids impede your gaming time? Granted... I do realize that gaming is not just a leisure activity but also your job.

Thanks, and I hope to hear your answers!!!!

Cheapy and Wombat

What's happening guys, I've been listening for almost a year now, and would first like to congratulate you guys on over 200 episodes.

I am a guy that enjoys food and seeing food from around the world. I was wondering if Cheapy would be able to post more pictures and blogs of his eating experiences around Japan. Just a thought, as I enjoy Cheapy's reaction to trying out the weird and quirky things in Japan. Also, I'm traveling to New York soon and would like to know some food places you guys would recommend.

Adding Boatcrash as a permanent member was a good deal. I enjoy hearing what he thinks about the game he is playing, and look forward to reading/hearing his reviews.

I can't wait till the Alan Wake roundtable, and keep up the good work guys.

I have a question related to Alan Wake:

I know about the obvious references (I've seen Twin Peaks, X-Files, read Stephen King, etc.) but are there any other books/movies/TV shows you three can recommend that are similar to Alan Wake? Whether it be in the overall tone and moodiness of the game or maybe the supernatural plot. I find myself eager for more stuff like it.

Also, sorry if you've already mentioned this, but do you guys plan to do an end-of-episode roundtable on AW similar to the one you did on Mass Effect 2?

Do you guys feel that charging for the online component of games (should you buy the game used) can help against piracy? [ Why should people that pirate the game be able to access the online feature of a game (which is usually a primary selling point of the game).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey CheapyD, Wombat and... Shipwreck...

This is a question about Mah-ree-oh. Do you think it's time for him to be stopped? It seems odd to me that gaming has essentially started with Mario yet continues to produce games starring this character today. It would be like if Disney only focused on making Mickey movies and would rarely step outside of that realm. Mickey is a great iconic character, but there is no need for him to be the star of the majority of their movies.

Is it time to limit Mario only to small cameos and grow up as a company to start introducing new characters? Would the death of Miyamoto call in this new age? (Not saying I'd be involved... he he...eh...)

I have had no problems with the load times of modnation racers at all at all. yes they are longer than the average game but so was little big planet! Most of the loads take around a minute for me and the online runs very smooth. The Modspot which works as the game menu and is online so you can meet other racers is a great idea and very well done. I think it is one of the best games which has come out this May, and really do suggest one of you pick it up to give it a shot. i understand that some may not like to create maps and other things, i didn't make anything in little big planet, but they have really simplified the creation tools and the map i created which is on the top download page took around two minutes. With the auto populate tool it is so easy to do, so Shipwreak i think you will be surprised how you begin to enjoy creating your own things. All i really wanted to say is that one of you should give it a try and i think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Hey guys

Any chance of you guys selling any cheapass gamer shirts or other merchandise? You guys are big time now so you need to sell big boy shirts and stuff. Stop thinking small time and sell some gear so we can represent the set we claiming. You do that and you'll be real gangsta. Hell, I'm going to start calling you cheapass gangsters.

Hey cheapy d and batship you guys have been doing awesome that's why I'll never miss a show and why do people sometimes insult the show it's nit like they could better though well spectacular podcast and keep the good work up

Cheapy, do you think your theory of "frank" could be more associated with publishers than the actual title themselves? I hear your displeasure of the scores RDR is getting due to some sort of Rockstar bias, and I'm thinking your theory of Frank should be moved up a notch. If RDR was published by Sega or someone else, I definitely don't think the scores would be as high. Thoughts?

I really enjoy listening to the CAGcast weekly while I run which leads me to my request:

I am running my first marathon this Sunday (June 6) and I plan to listen to the podcast so it would be a big help if you made the next show exactly two hours long and made announcements every half hour to help me with my pace. And if you want to throw in the occasional "You're doing great", or "Don't lose control of your bowels", that would be great. (I'm only half kidding)

My question is, are there any places to see pictures of the wives? It would be nice to put a face to the discussions involving Mrs. Cheapy, Mrs. Wombat and Mrs. Shipwreck. (BTW, I'm totally legit, not creepy. I'm a 43 year old father of two, married 19 years)

And my comment is relating to RDR. I am really enjoying the game and I especially like just being in that "world" having been a huge fan of John Ford and Sergio Leone westerns. Shipwreck mentioned he was bored and I think I recall him saying something about not liking the western genre in a discussion about Call of Juarez. I think Shipwreck just doesn't like the setting of the game, and if you don't buy into the atmosphere it would be hard to enjoy anything else about the game.

Keep up the good work. Special shout out to Wombat's film knowledge. I live in California but I attended NYU film school so I appreciate his insight.

Hey Cheapy, I was wondering if you could set up a section of the site specifically for console trading. I know a lot of people on CAG are into retro gaming or just undercutting the ridiculous prices at Gamestop (I saw a used PS2 selling for eighty dollars like last week at gamestop), and CAG would make selling/trading consoles and handhelds so much easier. Unofficially, I guess that's already happening, but if there were a system in place for trading consoles, that would make deals much easier to find. I know I'd use it :D

Hey guys, how do you learn about new iPhone games and when they're on sale? Have you ever considered reviewing them? And will we ever get a iPhone game price tracker on CAG?

ok this is a question for wombat...and is a comic book question sorry for the people annoyed by them. I was recently watching Dark Knight because it is an awesome movie. I noticed that when Batman travels to China, he goes to Hong Kong and not a fictional representation of that city, such as gotham for chicago or metropolis for NY. I was under the assumption that all DC cities arent real. How come hong kong is in this movie, was it lazy film makers or does this rule not apply across the board?

Love the show and i think shipwreck has been improving immensely keep it up.

I recently noticed that Joy Ride (the free avatar kart racer) has completely vanished from xbox.com. It was due to come out Winter '09 and the game looked basically complete at E3 too... what do you guys think has become of this? Do you think it will make a second appearance this year at E3? Finally do you like the idea of a free game like this and 1 vs. 100?

Thanks guys

Great show, guys. Despite all the talk regarding Project Shitbox’s launch details, none of you have actually put the facts together—doing so makes it obvious how Microsoft is going to handle the launch. So here’s what we know as fact:

• The quality of the current Xbox 360 hardware is poor
  • The Xbox 360’s asthetic design was a function of trying to appeal to the Japanese market, which has been a failed initiative
  • The Xbox 360’s price-point is at a terrific spot, especially for those willing to upgrade and/or replace existing hardware
  • No console add-on has ever been truly successful
  • Proof exists of a slimmed-down model of the XBox 360
  • SONY’s trend of slimming down their home consoles over time has always been successful
  • HD TV’s are rapidly gaining mass-market acceptance
  • The current Xbox 360 UI is directly targeted at the Wii audience
  • Project Shitbox is targeted at the Wii audience
  • Many people would be happy with an HD version of the Wii

So, what can we conclude from all of this? Well, here goes: Microsoft will be launching a new version of the Xbox 360 hardware that’s slimmer, better designed, and more appealing to a Western audience; and this new model will be Project Shitbox-enabled and priced around $250 to compete directly with the Wii and the rumored “Wii HD”.

With this proposed strategy, the 360 will be the “every man” console: reliable hardware, HD graphics, great price, terrific online options, hands-free motion controls, and a family-friendly UI.

I don’t currently own an XBox 360, primarily b/c I refuse to spend money on a piece of hardware that is proven to be unreliable. However, if my proposed scenario becomes fact, well, count me in. Or should I say: “Jump in”.

Anyway, keep up the great work—the show just keeps getting better, especially now that Cheapy seems to be playing more games. :D

i listen to a lot of podcast and they are all talking about the new EA charge to play online. I was wondering the people who have gamefly will they have to pay the extra $10 to play online

[quote name='deoxin']i listen to a lot of podcast and they are all talking about the new EA charge to play online. I was wondering the people who have gamefly will they have to pay the extra $10 to play online[/QUOTE]

Of course they will. It's not like Gamefly is going to pay for every person who rents the game to play online.

I know you guys have touched on this before, but I'm wondering now that your kiddos are more active (I.E., not just laying in the crib drooling all day) you find yourself not playing games online with friends as much as before.

Cheapy, it seems like you'd have a hard time lining up a headshot in Battlefield Bad Company 2 with Tai running around like a mad man.

PS - I know that Wombat is terrible at online shooters so this problem may be only a CheapyD issue.

Love the show and I think Shipwreck is a great addition - it's good to see a fellow ginger getting notierity.

Cheapy on previous shows you said that once you moved you were going to get a friend to build you a Gaming PC. Now that Steam is out on Mac is this enough to prevent you from doing so, even though games like ABP probably wont be coming out for Mac?

[quote name='AwRy108']Of course they will. It's not like Gamefly is going to pay for every person who rents the game to play online.[/QUOTE]

I heard somewhere that they will offer 7 day trials for online components so that renters get the opportunity to play online.

It looks like the new Red Faction game, "Red Faction Armageddon", will take place mostly underground and include aliens.

What are your early thoughts on these changes from the previous Red Faction?

Hey guys,

At E3 this year are you planning to make some video's? I think it would be cool to see all three of you together since it's such a rare thing.

Question for Wombat (since he never has any questions to answer anymore :D)

The new spider man game has now unoffically announced spider-man 2099 as a playable character, so that begs the question of who is the last spider-man entity that will be playable in the game. My own guess would be a character called peter porker spider-ham just because it would be different from all the rest. What would be your guess Wombat?

Hey Cheapy,

you and wombat always complain about how long it takes to complete a game, would it be possible to add something to the game collection database so that users can input times it took for them to complete games. At the very least you could get a ballpark number on how many hours you have to spend to complete a certain game.

Cheapy I was listening to an older show and you were saying how much you enjoyed watching DeadWood, I was wondering if you've watch HBO's The Wire, I loved DeadWood but I really think The Wire is the better show. I'm sure it would be right up your street.

bread's done
Back