CAGcast #195: A Toilet Crysis

Just finished listening to CAGcast #195, great job as always. I am still a bit confused about what day it is, err I mean was, umm or what ever.

I would imagine the problem when CheapyD is not the size of the dump but the size of those Japanese toilets. Maybe I have missed it but I haven't heard any story's from Cheapy on the public restrooms in Japan yet. Every time I talk to someone who has visited Japan the first thing they always talk about are the public restrooms.

Entertaining cast as always gents.

...Shipwreck did some great reviews (he still hates the PS3 though)

..."CheapyD's Toilet Misadventures - Tokyo Drift" should be a flash game - imagine having to shoot and chip away at some "American"sized 'logs' in a toilet bowl so they fit down the drain before it flushes! The 'logs' could be made of different food items and random quotes from the CAGcast and Robocop movies! "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

...Wombat, I WANT one of the Prison Break soaps! It will complete my ensemble of "Fight Club" soap and "Dunder and Mifflin" robe.

Thanks and keep doing the Cast - it puts the other gamepodcasts to shame.

FK

what a great way to start the week.

"it was like a Physics problem"

I spit coffee out on the bus on account of this.

"theres this little thing that people do, mostly i believe in latin america, its called fucking your self, go do it"

could not stop laughing, almost died XD

Nice show guys. Nothing like hearing about CheapyD's adventures in poop while on the bus to work.

I think DLC is damned if you do, damned if you don't with you guys. You complain that they should have put out the ME 2 DLC earlier. However, if they did that, I guarantee you all would have been complaining about early DLC just being withheld content that was released separately to squeeze more money out of consumers. If they expended more time and resources to make bigger DLC and release it much later, they would lose potential customers that had moved on to newer releases.

I think releasing DLC when they did is a reasonable compromise, not so new to irritate cynical gamers but soon enough to rekindle interest in people who have recently played the game or to attract people who waited for a price drop and may be willing to use the "savings" to purchase DLC for it.

And shipwreck, you have to watch King of Kong. It's not just a great video game documentary, it's just flat out a great documentary. Even my wife, a total non-gamer, enjoyed it.

Good entertaining show but I honestly don't understand how you guys love to obsess over Apple products and flash games on your ipod touch but PC gaming? NO WAAAAAAY

Oh those confusing mouse and keyboards! HOW DO THEY WORK?! I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW I CAN USE THE KEYBOARD TO MOVE MY CHARACTER.

Backing away from making fun of Wombat on that point, i'll give you an example of why PC gaming is better in certain spots. It's not always better but here's a game where it is.

Just Cause 2, it's a fun game on consoles, but on the PC, you can download a simple mod where you can have UNLIMITED dual hooks and unbreakable ropes. Plus the many other modifications like extended grapple and seaplanes, etc. It makes the games 10x better than the vanilla version. And the PC version works flawlessly with a 360 gamepad. It's awesome to make a chain of enemies hanging from your Helicopter with a car at the end of it.

But you guys will never ever try it because, well I don't even know. Cheapy has been promising to get a gaming PC for 3 years now, Wombat doesn't have the income and Shipwreck straight up doesn't want it.

You'd think out of 3 people , ONE would be a PC gamer or try to be so it's more than mindless guessing/constantly repeating you're not a PC gamer.

Love the poop stories by the way.

Great show guys. I had a good laugh with the ashes down the airplane toilet bit. Personally I find the intro non-game related portions of the show the best part. Keep it up.

Entertaining as always, and I love how Wombat gets a kick out of the name Jean Snow being dropped. As soon as Cheapy said "my friend Jean" I JUST KNEW that a Wombat interjection would be inserted and a giggle would ensue.

Keep up the good work guys.

I was actually at my crappy office job taking a deuce when I was listening to the beginning part about that very same subject matter; it was very meta, lol :)

Nice to hear some coverage on Crysis 2. I know you guys aren't PC gamers, but I still maintain a (sort of) current gaming computer and Crysis was a really solid and wild game. I may have been only one of about 100 people that bought the game retail instead of stealing by way of torrents or whatever, but I think that is part of why they are spreading the love to consoles. Anyone who has the opportunity to play the first one should try it out if you are a fan of FPS games - I still think that is the best looking game I have played, and has some really epic (in the true sense of the word) battles, sets and cut-scenes.

As always, keep up the laughs and great show, guys!

[quote name='foamking']Entertaining cast as always gents.

...Shipwreck did some great reviews (he still hates the PS3 though)

..."CheapyD's Toilet Misadventures - Tokyo Drift" should be a flash game - imagine having to shoot and chip away at some "American"sized 'logs' in a toilet bowl so they fit down the drain before it flushes! The 'logs' could be made of different food items and random quotes from the CAGcast and Robocop movies! "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

...Wombat, I WANT one of the Prison Break soaps! It will complete my ensemble of "Fight Club" soap and "Dunder and Mifflin" robe.

Thanks and keep doing the Cast - it puts the other gamepodcasts to shame.

FK[/QUOTE]

what? where the hell was the ps3 hating?

I've noticed that it's only Shipwreck and Mrs. Shipwreck that have their real names mentioned almost every episode now.

Shipwreck has his own Game Room now? Does it get better support than Microsoft's Game Room?

Cheapy, you should definitely do the most pre-ordered/sold amazon games lists every month or so and maybe even have contests associated with predicting the top items on the list. I found the thread you were talking about and your chart sucks. It just has games listed along the bottom and a mysterious line that's probably how many people ordered those games, but you offer no numbers to get any idea whether number sold five copies or 500 copies. Also, that thread was completely insane, so it might be better to keep it in the blogs so they will have to work harder to find them.

If you were referring to DPsx7, he's not a Sony fanboy. He's a delusional, Sony-hating PS3 fanboy that hates the PS3's gimmicks (like HD and needing to update to access PSN) and probably should've been banned in that thread since he trolls a lot in that way on the forums. You can read his post history to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

You should really play MLB 10 instead, Shipwreck. Road to the Show is much more polished and addictive version of My Player. Becoming the starter as a rookie for a pro team in 20 games is insane, even for the Reds. I got to the Pros in MLB 10 in my first season by July as the result of lucky injuries and trades that let me get called up earlier than I was ready for it, which is why I'm back in AAA for my second season when the GM had the chance to re-evaluate the depth charts.

Wombat's really on the ball with the news of the pricing of the PSP bundles compared to the PSP Go, which they've done since the Go's launch with a Gran Turismo bundle that was cheaper than the Go. They really need to drop the price of the PSP and the Go, as it's been three years since we've seen a price drop on the normal PSP and it's not doing too well in North America at $169.99.

I know it's easy to just say Sony should've done the PSP Go at launch about six years ago, but the PSP then was nowhere close to the versatile PSP as it is now. Just getting digital games onto the PSP was a hassle as a user when they were available two years after it launched and before they put the PS Store on the PSP two years ago. There was no iPhone, no Xbox 360, and Nintendo wasn't the dominant powerhouse then, so the entire ecosystem wasn't pushing for a digital download system then. The major issues for the PSP at the time was pricing of the software that still hurts it and the bad choice of using disc-based media for games that had a negative effect on loading times and ironically handcuff the PSP Go when people weren't willing to give up the UMDs they hated in the first place.

If the iPhone was the only portable gaming option right now, I probably would've given up on portable gaming all together as a result. There are good iPhone games, but they're good because I didn't pay more than $2.99 for any of them since none of them are worth more than that. I'm much more likely to turn on the PSP or DS when I'm interested in playing a portable game due to the more substantial, engrossing games.

Will the CAG iPhone app be out before Gran Turismo 5?

Shitty show this week.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cheapy, you should definitely do the most pre-ordered/sold amazon games lists every month or so and maybe even have contests associated with predicting the top items on the list. I found the thread you were talking about and your chart sucks. It just has games listed along the bottom and a mysterious line that's probably how many people ordered those games, but you offer no numbers to get any idea whether number sold five copies or 500 copies.[/QUOTE]

If I include actual sales numbers, then we will have people busting out their calculators trying to figure out how much money I'm making and I don't think that is going to end well.

I create the graph so you can see the spread between the front and back of the top 50 list.

Love the idea for the contest...thanks!

The next time you do post those Amazon numbers, and post a thumbnail, please make that chart have a little better quality Cheapy. If it was possible to make games jealous of tiny text, you made Dead Rising furious.

[quote name='CheapyD']If I include actual sales numbers, then we will have people busting out their calculators trying to figure out how much money I'm making and I don't think that is going to end well.

I create the graph so you can see the spread between the front and back of the top 50 list.

Love the idea for the contest...thanks![/QUOTE]
Maybe, but seeing how they compare to each other is kind of pointless without the numbers. The graph just basically says #1 sold more than #2 which also sold more than #3 and so on, which we already got from the list. You could just show graphs showing the spread amongst the platforms or maybe the average price of those games for the month to explain why some of them sold that well, which are stuff you don't immediately get from the list.

[quote name='fredy182']what? where the hell was the ps3 hating?[/QUOTE]...Shipwreck hates it because he's disappointed by what sony hasn't done with it. Many people are, I'm just poking fun at him. I gave him a compliment at the beginning...

Not as good of a show as your last... I think what got to me was the incessant complaining from Wombat about what time you were recording. Did like the bit about Boat Crash's trip to NY, glad to see a valued member of the gaming community getting the opportunity to spy us inside news (it's a plus that he is a big part of CAG of course)

[quote name='woodtrain54']Just went and read the comments from the guy accusing of being biased. Funniest thing I've ever read.[/QUOTE]
Just listening to the CAG thing right now and what comment did that guy make and where is it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Will the CAG iPhone app be out before Gran Turismo 5?[/QUOTE]

Mmhmm. All functionality is locked down, just making it look less shitty now.

Cheapy: The last time I clogged the toilet, I let it marinate in the toilet water for 30 minutes. That softened it up and made a path. It's the toilet paper that can be a huge issue.

By the way, what time (USA) did you record this last cast? Wombat seemed all tired and cranky (more than usual).

I could've spotted shipwreck had I went downtown last week!

oh well there's always the chance of seeing wombat at some fastfood place or just eating outside :D

I love dem Soaps on ropes! Great cagcast guys! Sometimes I don't finish cagcasts in a timely manner so I can ensure they never run out and then I get behind, so I'm working on that. Eagerly awaiting next weeks. :D

[quote name='Earmuffin585']below par show but that's still an awesome show. keep up the work![/QUOTE]

Ditto - and too many trash talk, or maybe you guys are sleepy! Hope you are back to normal next time.

We must be synched up or something, because recently my logs have been clogtastic as well.

ME2 DLC coming out at this moment at such a price seems so silly. At least with AC II, they're "memories" so they don't really block your access to them even if you've passed the game. Those that want continuity could have waited, but the rest of us could play on just fine. With ME2, you have DLC coming out even though the game itself feels like it's been completed. Anything extra should probably be afterwards, like side missions to show how the universe is a never ending turmoil.

Did anyone else notice that every feedback comment Wombat pulled from last show was praising him, and not really about the show itself? Talk about textbook narcissism. Furthermore, Every time Shipwreck or Cheapy would talk for 5 minutes about something .. such as Crysis 2 or why people don’t hack the PS3 .. two discussions which I found interesting, Wombat would say its boring (presumably cause he’s not involved). And then whenever either Ship or Cheapy would talk about a writer or publicist or some kind of industry insider, Wombat would mention how they should’ve gotten him a game or a check or some kind of free stuff. Give it a rest already! It's not funny, it's not fun.

[quote name='wayno187']Did anyone else notice that every feedback comment Wombat pulled from last show was praising him, and not really about the show itself? Talk about textbook narcissism. Furthermore, Every time Shipwreck or Cheapy would talk for 5 minutes about something .. such as Crysis 2 or why people don’t hack the PS3 .. two discussions which I found interesting, Wombat would say its boring (presumably cause he’s not involved). And then whenever either Ship or Cheapy would talk about a writer or publicist or some kind of industry insider, Wombat would mention how they should’ve gotten him a game or a check or some kind of free stuff. Give it a rest already! It's not funny, it's not fun.
[/QUOTE]

Actually it's every comment from the last 3 shows.

Great show, guys. I especially got a kick out of the discussion about playing Farmville being code for having a bowel movement. "Excuse me, I have to go plant some corn" is now my go-to euphemism when I need to take a dump. My wife is a big Farmville player herself, so naturally I explained it to her, and she is overjoyed to have that mental association every time she plays now. Sweet.

This is mostly for Shipwreck - I heard the urban legend about why that lady was so paranoid about her purse on the airplane. Obviously she was still overly protective, but women are supposed to keep track of their purse at all times on a plane not because someone will steal the purse, rather steal something out of it (like a credit card or cash). When you think about the average "post flight" activities (bathroom, baggage claim, rental car/get picked up, go to hotel/home), most people don't look at their wallet till well after they are away from the airport. So in theory the person next to you could take something while you are at the bathroom and you wouldn't know it till after they are long gone.

Just got to the part talking about baseball games and I had to comment. MLB The Show has had a career mode called either The Show or Road to the Show as its now called since MLB The Show 06 (ie last 5 games.) 2K had to input it this year throughout all its sports games (including NBA and NHL) to keep up with the offerings by its competitors (EA and Sony.)

The Road to the Show by all accounts is vastly superior than 2K's My Player mode, but it's a good first start for 2K. I'm surprised Shipwreck did not get The Show since he has a PS3 as its a vastly superior game to MLB 2K10.

At least 2K10 is playable this year to break their even year track record of the game freezing up in 06 and 08 (and well being completely broken last year.)

Oh and just for the record I'm not a Sony fanboy as my 360 game to PS3 game ratio is 4:1, but MLB The Show is the main reason myself and at least 1/2 of all PS3 owners in St. Louis have a PS3. It's the best baseball game out IMO, and MLB The Show 10 and 08 are the two best baseball games ever in my view, followed by MVP Baseball 05, Bases Loaded 2, and RBI Baseball 2.

great show. i love when you guys talk about shipwreck's mansion :) lol. I loved CheapyD talking about hacking the PS3 very interesting. And out of all the deer jokes I think Ships 'Don't judge me.' to the moose was by far the funniest joke on the show.
peace

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope nobody thinks your a Sony fanboy because of this post. The Show is almost unanimously considered a better game by fans of the genre (like yourself).

[quote name='MSUHitman']Just got to the part talking about baseball games and I had to comment. MLB The Show has had a career mode called either The Show or Road to the Show as its now called since MLB The Show 06 (ie last 5 games.) 2K had to input it this year throughout all its sports games (including NBA and NHL) to keep up with the offerings by its competitors (EA and Sony.)

The Road to the Show by all accounts is vastly superior than 2K's My Player mode, but it's a good first start for 2K. I'm surprised Shipwreck did not get The Show since he has a PS3 as its a vastly superior game to MLB 2K10.

At least 2K10 is playable this year to break their even year track record of the game freezing up in 06 and 08 (and well being completely broken last year.)

Oh and just for the record I'm not a Sony fanboy as my 360 game to PS3 game ratio is 4:1, but MLB The Show is the main reason myself and at least 1/2 of all PS3 owners in St. Louis have a PS3. It's the best baseball game out IMO, and MLB The Show 10 and 08 are the two best baseball games ever in my view, followed by MVP Baseball 05, Bases Loaded 2, and RBI Baseball 2.[/QUOTE]

Ship got to meet Richard K Morgan? Sunnovabeyatch! He's one of my favourite authors, up there with Iain Banks and Alastair Reynolds.

Wombat seemed a bit cranky on this podcast.

Perhaps cheapy could give the Kasumi code to a cagcast listener. I'm sure one of us would make use of it.

Keep up the good work guys.

Hi Cheapy, Wombat and Boatcrash,
I chose the wrong time when I started the podcast while having breakfast. *yuck* I do not really enjoy toilet talk shows.

But, I had to grin when you mentioned your son and your Iphone, Cheapy. Same here, my 3-year-old and I play Iphone every night at bedtime, he loves Dark Nebula, and Action Bowling, but we usually rotate through our game collection. It's also a big ace up my sleave in restaurants. As I earn my bread in the game industry, I think it's OK to pass this on, too. Yea, old school parents will shake their head, but I want to see how far their children will come in 20 years with their crayon skills.

This makes me think of a question: How do you think the world will be like when our sons are grown up, especially concerning the use of technology, devices, interfaces? Will the next generation still know how to use a pen? A controller? How will video games be like? Shitbox Implants maybe? Voice or thought control?

Make a wild guess! I will listen back then and see if you have been right...

Great show guys, really enjoyed it.

Also I think Wombat has some nerve to have a go at Cheapy's "Hackers on the PS3" bit for being boring when a few pod-casts ago he sat for 5 mins reading out a list of Twitter user names !! :lol:

But yeah, a good pod-cast all told.

[quote name='donkeydrop']Cheapy, you didn't really get the full situation on PS3 piracy. In fact the Sony firmware update was a direct response to hackers finally getting full system access back in January. You can get the details at http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/three-years-later-the-ps3-gets-hacked.ars[/QUOTE]

And full system access makes piracy is more likely - at least that's what Sony thinks. So yes, it was a preemptive strike against piracy.

I never get tired of the toilet talk. Cheapy, would you miss your high-tech toilets if you moved back to the states? What would you miss most about Japan if you ever relocated?

bread's done
Back