CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

[quote name='Twick87']Just sent you a PM, I'll play as the Buffalo Sabres. 20-30 games sounds good too.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! The Sabres are yours. Man, the Eastern Conference is filling up, haha.

I'll take the Red Wings.

I can play usually any night of the week after 8 or 9 EST, Sunday's I'm very flexible. Only days in the fall I can't play are Saturdays. But you can PM me or send an XBox message, I'll always see if I'm free to play any other time.

[quote name='Wpark83']I'll take the Red Wings.

I can play usually any night of the week after 8 or 9 EST, Sunday's I'm very flexible. Only days in the fall I can't play are Saturdays. But you can PM me or send an XBox message, I'll always see if I'm free to play any other time.[/QUOTE]

Great! Glad to see another Western Conference pick. The Eastern Conference was starting to pull ahead a bit.

Wow. I mean, I'm up for trying a real full-length season, but I'm not too hopeful people will follow through as well.

At least the commish has the power to basically keep things moving.

[quote name='DestroVega']Wow. I mean, I'm up for trying a real full-length season, but I'm not too hopeful people will follow through as well.

At least the commish has the power to basically keep things moving.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the fact that you have to play all your games within the time period that is set should keep it moving rather quickly.

I could see people getting burnt out, but yet again there is a chance that we will not have all 30 controlled user teams, therefore some games vs the CPU can be played easily

It's all speculation right now though. I could be wrong but, I think EA lowered the games. I think they put 82 just as a example for hardcore people.

The option is also there if the GM is not available to play the game but against the CPU in place of the GM (with consent of course). That works well for the vaction times, as well if life gets busy with assignments, projects, children and such.

All right, now you guys are going to make me dig up the video, lol. I know they said you could do shorter than 82 games. There's no way they could be that short-sighted. That's a stretch even for EA, lol.

EDIT - Ok, so far, I found this from Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/x591p/nhl_13_gm_connected_ask_me_anything/

Schnaikka
Can you choose how many games that will be played in one season? I mean if there's a league with 30 human managers, I imagine that getting 82 games played will take quite some time.

KidShowtime
Yup, you have options here. I don't believe it's a custom setting, but rather a selection. I don't know the exact selections, but something like 16-30-50-82 games per season.

EDIT 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf52GpMVh5I

Well, I went back and watched the GM Connected "Dive Deep" video, and it didn't say anything specifically about changing the length of the season. The main thing they focused on was adjusting how much of the schedule is playable at one time. There was a menu shot that showed that (0:49), but it was also listed under "quick settings", so who knows. Really, unless this guy on Reddit is just completely full of crap (which would be pretty bad because he's allegedly a tester or something and has been answering people's questions for a while now), hopefully we can shorten the season.

IF we can't, I feel like we'd almost need to break the season down into the number of games that we want (ie. 82 / 4 = 20.5...so 21 games). If we had the schedule showing 4 days at a time, then people would only need to play one of those games. It would just get really confusing factoring in CPU games, users that have already played, etc...which is why I'm really hoping EA isn't dumb enough to force us to try to manage something like that. If they really think just being able to sim games is the answer to an 82 game schedule, I'd like to know how they think you should handle teams that want to play every game vs teams that barely show up, when the latter team makes the playoffs because the AI won all their games for them. Really hoping these reports aren't true because it's going to create unnecessary work on our part to keep things fair.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Thanks Man! I had a funny feeling that it could be switched. Shows that my research skills are lacking. Haha[/QUOTE]

Well, I've learned to not put any horrible idea past EA, lol. But I looked through that thread on OS, and for one, it's from early June...so pretty old info there. And it seemed like a pretty blatant assumption just based on that little blip in Game Informer about Connected GM "featuring a full 82 game schedule". It didn't say anything about that being the only way to play. And at least the Reddit thread is from late July, so like I said, hopefully that guy knows what he's talking about. :)

[quote name='Ninjas in a Box']Hey guys, I want to thank N8 rocker for inviting me to the league. After playing a shenanigans game of NHL 12, I can't wait for NHL 13.[/QUOTE]

Glad to have you here, man. Should be a lot of fun. Can't wait for the demo on Tuesday!

I was looking over my Sharks roster and seeing a few guys I would like to trade. I havent played a mode like this with friends, never mind you fellow CAGS. Whats the general guidelines for trades? And if the CPU takes over some teams are we allowed to trade with them or do those get reviewed?

I have no real preferences on any of this, just figured ask about it before it gets going so there is less confusion

[quote name='wiz2020']I was looking over my Sharks roster and seeing a few guys I would like to trade. I havent played a mode like this with friends, never mind you fellow CAGS. Whats the general guidelines for trades? And if the CPU takes over some teams are we allowed to trade with them or do those get reviewed?

I have no real preferences on any of this, just figured ask about it before it gets going so there is less confusion[/QUOTE]

It's really going to depend on how well EA incorporated things like the salary cap and player contracts into GM Connected. If everything is realistic and functional, we shouldn't need to limit trades in any way. Even with trading with the CPU...as long as the trade logic isn't terrible, that should be ok too. I'm a bit skeptical though because I don't know if ANY video game EVER has ever gotten trade logic right, lol. At worst, I guess we could review trades ourselves.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']Pretty Sick Video of the New NHL Moments Live Mode

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ahxqgi/nhl-13-exclusive-nhl-moments-live-trailer[/QUOTE]

Ya know...I hadn't really thought about it before, but watching that video, I'd bet that the Live Moments are going to be BAP style. Based on Madden, I never considered it because those always focused on just the team. But these really seem to focus on a specific player. Especially with the goalie shutouts, it would feel kind of dumb to be playing as the skaters in front of him.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ya know...I hadn't really thought about it before, but watching that video, I'd bet that the Live Moments are going to be BAP style. Based on Madden, I never considered it because those always focused on just the team. But these really seem to focus on a specific player. Especially with the goalie shutouts, it would feel kind of dumb to be playing as the skaters in front of him.[/QUOTE]

I never thought about it as well until you just mentioned it. I can see myself putting some time into this mode just to buy some time.

[quote name='jza1218']Anyone else get their season ticket yet?[/QUOTE]

I looked at it, but I didn't complete the purchase because I wasn't sure if the 12 months of access starts from your purchase date...not that I could think of any advantage I'd gain by waiting. I also couldn't think of anything I'd gain by doing it that day, lol. So yeah, I'll probably go through with it in the next day or so.

I wish season ticket gave you the game for a week in case you're getting it in the mail. Would be even more attractive.

Does anyone know if the HUT cards from Season Ticket double up if you pre-order from Gamestop? So you would get packs from both, the Ticket and Gamestop

[quote name='wiz2020']Does anyone know if the HUT cards from Season Ticket double up if you pre-order from Gamestop? So you would get packs from both, the Ticket and Gamestop[/QUOTE]

They should, yes. But I would ask at Gamestop to be sure.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Is anyone on CAG doing a PS3 online franchise? I'd definitely be up for joining.[/QUOTE]

No idea. Less people play PS3. So, you're going to either need to start a thread yourself, and find out if there's enough interest for one. Or go to a bigger forum (EA, OS, etc.) so you can find enough people who have your system.

The one thing I HATE about watching the developers play the game is that never do any moves that could potentially cause a glitch. When I turned it on, they were doing a shootout between Edmonton and Tampa Bay (which, Gary, you'll be happy to know that the Lightning had Lindback in net), and they're not even really deking at all. Just doing a little stick twirl and taking a wrist shot.

One time, the guy did a little stop and turn move (I'm guessing he held the left trigger...like the old skate backward to hide the puck from the goalie thing), and he was able to get the goalie to freeze when he turned back to take a shot. It was actually a pretty nice move...but yeah, if it works every time...then it becomes a problem.

I like that they got Tim Horton's as a sponsor this year though, haha.

EDIT - Wow! Just saw Bryzgalov save a great cross crease on a 2 on 0. He got over damn quick.

Geez these guys suck...lol. I've seen a lot of scoring chances that haven't been converted just because they didn't make the right move. Still seems like it's a little easy to get into the offensive zone, but hopefully those new "team systems" settings will help with that.

EDIT 2 - What I do really like is being able to skate backward at any moment now. It seems like that will be a great way to gain some separation and buy yourself some time when moving the puck around. I'm really hopeful that this year's game will be more about patience and hesitation than outright speed and deking. The game would be so much better that way. Just not sure EA has the balls to tell people they need to re-learn the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']

EDIT 2 - What I do really like is being able to skate backward at any moment now. It seems like that will be a great way to gain some separation and buy yourself some time when moving the puck around. I'm really hopeful that this year's game will be more about patience and hesitation than outright speed and deking. The game would be so much better that way. Just not sure EA has the balls to tell people they need to re-learn the game.[/QUOTE]

This is probably what I am hoping for the most as well. It seems like if you take your time you can cycle and get some great scoring chances in the offensive zone. Being able to skate backwards, protect the puck can keep the play going for a bit longer if you know what you are doing.

[quote name='TheSportsGamer23']This is probably what I am hoping for the most as well. It seems like if you take your time you can cycle and get some great scoring chances in the offensive zone. Being able to skate backwards, protect the puck can keep the play going for a bit longer if you know what you are doing.[/QUOTE]

It's just a tough thing because you can't assume that everyone will want to play that way. EA has to basically force them to play right by making the defense good enough to stop cheap tactics. A lot of this is more in relation to OTP/EASHL, but teams shouldn't be rewarded for having their wingers abandon the defensive zone early and be hanging out at center ice waiting on a breakout pass. The defensemen either need to be smart enough to hold the puck in at all cost or know to drop out of the zone to cover the guy trying to get a cheap breakaway. The AI isn't really going to be tested until people start trying to look for holes.

Another thing I like though in regards to the skating is that it seems like more of a cat and mouse game. I'm hoping that due to the fact that it's going to be easier to get knocked off the puck and harder to shoot accurately at high speeds (allegedly) and the fact that it's going to be easier to overcommit on defense, that should create some slowdown and hesitation on both sides. I saw moments in the demo where a player would skate hard and then coast before making a turn. You never saw stuff like that in 12 because people were always just trying to go as fast as they could. I know even for me, any time I was pressing the left stick, I was also clicking it in. If done right, these small changes should have a big impact on how the game plays.

Ok...they just said the NHL companion app is for iOS. No mention of Android at all. If that's true, there's the first thing that will piss me off. Do they really think Android doesn't have an equal userbase? Is it still 2009?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok...they just said the NHL companion app is for iOS. No mention of Android at all. If that's true, there's the first thing that will piss me off. Do they really think Android doesn't have an equal userbase? Is it still 2009?[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a crock of crap. I think a few of us have iOS, I just ordered a Android today so they better rethink that crap.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok...they just said the NHL companion app is for iOS. No mention of Android at all. If that's true, there's the first thing that will piss me off. Do they really think Android doesn't have an equal userbase? Is it still 2009?[/QUOTE]

That app is mainly for GM connected right?

[quote name='DestroVega']That app is mainly for GM connected right?[/QUOTE]

and HUT.

They also just confirmed no new goalie cameras and still one locker room in EASHL.

I do like the in goal camera a lot honestly. Really adds to the broadcast!

They better add the app to Android. That or I see the xda community porting it over eventually.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']It's just a tough thing because you can't assume that everyone will want to play that way. EA has to basically force them to play right by making the defense good enough to stop cheap tactics. A lot of this is more in relation to OTP/EASHL, but teams shouldn't be rewarded for having their wingers abandon the defensive zone early and be hanging out at center ice waiting on a breakout pass. The defensemen either need to be smart enough to hold the puck in at all cost or know to drop out of the zone to cover the guy trying to get a cheap breakaway. The AI isn't really going to be tested until people start trying to look for holes.

Another thing I like though in regards to the skating is that it seems like more of a cat and mouse game. I'm hoping that due to the fact that it's going to be easier to get knocked off the puck and harder to shoot accurately at high speeds (allegedly) and the fact that it's going to be easier to overcommit on defense, that should create some slowdown and hesitation on both sides. I saw moments in the demo where a player would skate hard and then coast before making a turn. You never saw stuff like that in 12 because people were always just trying to go as fast as they could. I know even for me, any time I was pressing the left stick, I was also clicking it in. If done right, these small changes should have a big impact on how the game plays.[/QUOTE]

Good to know I wasnt the only one always clicking in the left stick last year. Hopefully these adjustments do bring an extra element of strategy back to the series.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Good to know I wasnt the only one always clicking in the left stick last year. Hopefully these adjustments do bring an extra element of strategy back to the series.[/QUOTE]

Oh, no. It became such a "formula" for what worked. We learned pretty quickly that speed and acceleration made very little difference if you just put your endurance at 99 and used the hustle button the entire game. I can't even picture EASHL this year if you won't be able to get up to a 99 AND you'll have to actually use different skating tactics. People are going to lose their minds, lol. :)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Oh, no. It became such a "formula" for what worked. We learned pretty quickly that speed and acceleration made very little difference if you just put your endurance at 99 and used the hustle button the entire game. I can't even picture EASHL this year if you won't be able to get up to a 99 AND you'll have to actually use different skating tactics. People are going to lose their minds, lol. :)[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so.

bread's done
Back