CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

[quote name='ajh2298']Is there anything that yoy can do about getting it on launch day from TRU other than paying for overnight shipping?(i.e. in-store pick-up)[/QUOTE]

I believe in-store pickup would work, but I'm not 100% sure. If you have a local one, might be worth calling to double check (the nearest TRU to me is over an hour away so I just preordered online)

Also, you guys really think games will only be 20-30 minutes?

[quote name='Matt Young']Versus games should last about 30 minutes unless there's overtime and/or a lot of penalties.[/QUOTE]

Your right on in time Matt, I have played many 1v1 games in league and I always allotted one hour for a two game series.

I can tell right now that i will have the first pick overall in many years to come. I have only scored one goal in seven games, and that was a penalty shot.

More practice and I should be able to hold my own, but right now I feel a little daunted. damn ea, damn goalies.

Hhmm ,playing a little more and I'm not happy. Go full speed then pull the left trigger and you still maintain the speed (glide), all while being very agile going back and forth between the left trigger . Not feeling it right now for some reason cause of it.

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']Your right on in time Matt, I have played many 1v1 games in league and I always allotted one hour for a two game series.

I can tell right now that i will have the first pick overall in many years to come. I have only scored one goal in seven games, and that was a penalty shot.

More practice and I should be able to hold my own, but right now I feel a little daunted. damn ea, damn goalies.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad. Outside of that one weird Play Now game, I haven't scored more than one goal in a game. I feel like I need to retrain myself on how to play. I'm doing things that worked that NHL 12, that may not work in 13. I think I need to take more point shots, use the goalie's anticipation against him (ie. when I have a 2 on 1, hesitate and shoot, rather than just trying to pass for a one timer), etc.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Hhmm ,playing a little more and I'm not happy. Go full speed then pull the left trigger and you still maintain the speed (glide), all while being very agile going back and forth between the left trigger . Not feeling it right now for some reason cause of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like I said, I think the backskating is going to be the loophole for glitchers. The weird thing is, I don't know that I've seen the AI ever use it. Because of that, I haven't had a chance to try to check somebody while skating backward, to make sure you can actually hit them. I'm just glad the AI is more active with their sticks, as I've seen them poke the puck away a lot...both in the defensive zone and knocking passes away in the neutral zone. Even if there are holes with certain features, if the AI has more skills that they actually use, it should help.

Of course, one other thing I'm wondering is, IS EVERYBODY going to be going to the dump and chase now because of how slow defenders are to get the puck? Every HUT game I played where I didn't play Goalie, Dump and chase and the defenders were just so Damn sluggish to get there. Even when I was ready to get the back. I'll have to see. As I play more and more, I'm starting to get skeptical.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Of course, one other thing I'm wondering is, IS EVERYBODY going to be going to the dump and chase now because of how slow defenders are to get the puck? Every HUT game I played where I didn't play Goalie, Dump and chase and the defenders were just so Damn sluggish to get there. Even when I was ready to get the back. I'll have to see. As I play more and more, I'm starting to get skeptical.[/QUOTE]

Well, the more I play, the more I feel that for EASHL to have any chance of not being a complete joke, they NEED those stat caps. Seeing how fast guys like St. Louis and Grabner with like 90 skating, there is no reason in hell that anybody in EASHL needs to be any faster. It's just stupid. I really feel like that's the crap that breaks the game. As dumb as the AI can be, they're not programmed to defend somebody with 99 speed...or to stop shots from somebody with 99 accuracy. I just hope they actually go through with it because people were already complaining pretty loudly. I'm just glad we can have our own closed off franchise, where we can dictate what's fair and what isn't fair, and know that nobody is trying to cheat their way to a win.

I think dump and chase won't cause issuus, well just have to adapt. In years past, we've had all forwards and defense men stack the blue line. D men will need to back off a bit, and the forwards will need to hold the line. If the dump and chase strategy gets shut down enough times, they'll start trying to directly skate it in, which then we should stack the line with everyone again

Its realistic in that both sides will have to correctly choose between attacking/defending a head on style or a dump and chase style

[quote name='moojuice']I think dump and chase won't cause issuus, well just have to adapt. In years past, we've had all forwards and defense men stack the blue line. D men will need to back off a bit, and the forwards will need to hold the line. If the dump and chase strategy gets shut down enough times, they'll start trying to directly skate it in, which then we should stack the line with everyone again

Its realistic in that both sides will have to correctly choose between attacking/defending a head on style or a dump and chase style[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is a good point. I think it's just really noticeable because the AI seems to actually have a coherent plan of when they dump the puck now. They'll throw it in right as the winger on the other side is crossing the blue line...and sometimes, he'll even be skating at full speed, which just makes the time it takes him to get to the puck insanely quick. I think that's just an example of a play being very well executed. It's just the kind of thing that we have to be sharp to defend properly. If we're half assing it and playing loose, we will get burned on plays like that.

Can you change the difficulty? I didnt think there was an option to on any of the game options on the demo

Also anyone know if the shooting is Manual or Auto? When I played NHL 11 and used Manual shooting nothing went in, switched to auto and 3-4 goals a game

I left everything as is. The only thing I'm not liking about the demo is that the game is to short. It feels like it takes longer to get to the game every time than it does to play it. I know it is just a demo but I think they could have gave a 20 minute period or a full gave of hockey. That way I could get some time in and used to the controls before the game ended.

[quote name='sendme']I left everything as is. The only thing I'm not liking about the demo is that the game is to short. It feels like it takes longer to get to the game every time than it does to play it. I know it is just a demo but I think they could have gave a 20 minute period or a full gave of hockey. That way I could get some time in and used to the controls before the game ended.[/QUOTE]

Well, they did give us four different modes to play though...as opposed to the Madden demo where you only get a basic vs game with 5 minute accelerated quarters (though, they at least gave us two different match ups this year), and only advertise the other playmodes. But I agree. The games go by too fast, and having to exit all the way back out and start back up is annoying. An option to just "restart game" would have been helpful.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, they did give us four different modes to play though...as opposed to the Madden demo where you only get a basic vs game with 5 minute accelerated quarters (though, they at least gave us two different match ups this year), and only advertise the other playmodes. But I agree. The games go by too fast, and having to exit all the way back out and start back up is annoying. An option to just "restart game" would have been helpful.[/QUOTE]

You got that right. I swear I spend more time in the menu screens than out on the ice

So i had another hour with the game tonight, and played about eight or nine HUT periods. Finally I scored a regulation goal, Yakupov top self short side. other than that and one shootout goal that was all I got. Its going o take time.

I bought myself a game capture device, so I will be uploading games as I go along this year. Still attempting to upload my first video.

I'm having a lot of issues winning faceoffs. Do I keep the right stick up and move it? I guess I'm just not understanding how they work in game play.

For face-offs, I always "grip" my stick and get set when I am able to move, then anticipate the drop and make my move (which ever move I attempt) If your tieing up the guy, push forward on the left stick while in grip. Winning it back can be done by stick lift-up and back, clean draw straight back. there are many different variations. My draw % is about 50-50

http://youtu.be/fLRNiduNiXA

Here is my first capture attempt

Yeah, selecting your grip actually seems to make a difference in this year's game. What I do is:

1. Hold left stick in direction you'd like to win faceoff
2. Hold right stick left or right depending on if you want a forehand or backhand grip.
3. As the referee is moving his arm to drop the puck, move the right stick from your held grip position to straight down.

Sometimes the timing will vary, and sometimes even a double tap on the right stick will work. It's definitely something you have to experiment with though until you figure out what works. That's the basic principle though.

Refreshingly it looks like the stats the center carries on the faceoff section does carry some weight in the dot. Stamkos wins the draw more times that RNH will using the same tactics.

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']Refreshingly it looks like the stats the center carries on the faceoff section does carry some weight in the dot. Stamkos wins the draw more times that RNH will using the same tactics.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too, as I seemed to have an easier time winning them with some players more than others. Probably won't be noticeable in OTP/EASHL though, as centers will still just put their faceoffs at whatever the cap is (cause that's what I do, lol). I do wish they had made it where other positions could take faceoffs though...or at least that centers could get thrown out of the circle. Would have given wingers a reason to consider putting points into faceoffs.

I didn't play HUT as much as I wanted to mainly because I refused to use points to buy packs. The contract thing gets really annoying

[quote name='DestroVega']I didn't play HUT as much as I wanted to mainly because I refused to use points to buy packs. The contract thing gets really annoying[/QUOTE]

yeah I lost interest in HUT for the same reason last year. The whole contract setup didnt work well at all. Supposedly this year is improved though...

[quote name='GamerDude316']yeah I lost interest in HUT for the same reason last year. The whole contract setup didnt work well at all. Supposedly this year is improved though...[/QUOTE]

Well, if they made it more like Madden's, it should be improved. Playing games in Ultimate Team was never really the allure for me, and it definitely wasn't how you build up your team. You do well by acquiring players and reselling them. And to me, the problem with HUT was that packs were too expensive. You'd need to sell 2-3 good players to be able to afford even a basic one...and that was hard to do because with all the European leagues, there were just too many "junk" players in the packs.

In Madden, you could almost always sell one player per pack...and that would be enough to buy you another pack. So, when you'd get a really good pack with 3-4 good players in it, you had a lot of options for who to sell and who to keep. It just made it so much easier to build your team, but still have the funds to buy more packs if you were just searching for a specific card. And opening pack after pack was half the fun.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, if they made it more like Madden's, it should be improved. Playing games in Ultimate Team was never really the allure for me, and it definitely wasn't how you build up your team. You do well by acquiring players and reselling them. And to me, the problem with HUT was that packs were too expensive. You'd need to sell 2-3 good players to be able to afford even a basic one...and that was hard to do because with all the European leagues, there were just too many "junk" players in the packs.

In Madden, you could almost always sell one player per pack...and that would be enough to buy you another pack. So, when you'd get a really good pack with 3-4 good players in it, you had a lot of options for who to sell and who to keep. It just made it so much easier to build your team, but still have the funds to buy more packs if you were just searching for a specific card. And opening pack after pack was half the fun.[/QUOTE]

When HUT first came out, I played it a lot. Last year I was exclusive to 1v1 and BAP. Your right N8, with all the possibility of players from the CHL to the European leagues the packs are so very watered down and it became a chore trying to sift through the packs to get rid of players that mean nothing to you or your team. AS well nobody else wants then so they sit in you "sell" pile till you just outright delete them. Having the season ticket made it a little easier to swallow buying them at a discounted price, but it would still add up over time.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, if they made it more like Madden's, it should be improved. Playing games in Ultimate Team was never really the allure for me, and it definitely wasn't how you build up your team. You do well by acquiring players and reselling them. And to me, the problem with HUT was that packs were too expensive. You'd need to sell 2-3 good players to be able to afford even a basic one...and that was hard to do because with all the European leagues, there were just too many "junk" players in the packs.

In Madden, you could almost always sell one player per pack...and that would be enough to buy you another pack. So, when you'd get a really good pack with 3-4 good players in it, you had a lot of options for who to sell and who to keep. It just made it so much easier to build your team, but still have the funds to buy more packs if you were just searching for a specific card. And opening pack after pack was half the fun.[/QUOTE]

I never even had any good players to sell. So many from the European leagues that had junk ratings that I could never unload until their contracts ran out anyway. Hopefully this year has been better implemented.

Well traded in a bunch of stuff today including NHL 12 to pre-order my fall must have games today at Gamestop. So I ended up with NHL 13, Halo 4, and COD:BO2 all paid in full. But my plans to hook all my stuff back up today failed because I got called into work early. I will try again tomorrow I guess. I really am missing playing hockey on the old 360 its been about a month and a half since my stuff was all hooked up.

How does the HUT work. Do you keep buying packs to get more players or trade the players in the first pack you get. Also the stats for the players what are they? Sorry for asking, but I don't know what the 3 or 4 letter abbreviation mean.

[quote name='sendme']How does the HUT work. Do you keep buying packs to get more players or trade the players in the first pack you get. Also the stats for the players what are they? Sorry for asking, but I don't know what the 3 or 4 letter abbreviation mean.[/QUOTE]

HUT is Hockey Ultimate Team

In short it is a way for you to relive your childhood by collecting packs of player cards and using them to put together your favorite or "Ultimate" team. You can buy packs of cards by paying with real money which will range from $1-$4 ish. you can also you the in-game currency to purchase packs. This currency known as "pucks" can be won in games/tournaments you play, or by selling cards that you dont want.

Stats are accumulated over the career of the of the player. Every player has a certain amount of games he can play, at the end of his contract you can use cards you receive in the packs to extend the career of the player. Over time depending how long you have the player you will have the stats from every game he played in.

I hope this helps a little. It can be very fun, however I stopped playing because playing 1v1 against random opponents matched me with too many glitches, and I like a pure game with out the cheap factor.

Yeah, last year, HUT was just really short-sighted. They had an achievement last year for collecting all the cards for one specific team (including all the jerseys). So, that's what I ended up doing with the Predators. But it took so much time (especially buying Rinne and Weber), that after I was done, I didn't want to break the team up to make a "fun" team. So, I pretty much just stopped playing the mode, lol.

Got all my crap hooked back up and downloaded the demo this morning. I only got to play one period before I had to go to work but it seemed really slow and sluggish to me. I am just imagining things or did it seem that way to anybody else?

[quote name='ajh2298']Got all my crap hooked back up and downloaded the demo this morning. I only got to play one period before I had to go to work but it seemed really slow and sluggish to me. I am just imagining things or did it seem that way to anybody else?[/QUOTE]

It's real skating. Some players are fast, some aren't. Play HUT and use Stamkos or St. Louis, and you'll see speed. After playing 13 for awhile, when you go back to 12, you'll notice that it feels like the players just kind of glide around on top of the ice. There's no real work involved in them moving around. In 13, your movements have to be much more deliberate.

[quote name='HomelessGamer']My gamer tag is Usmcboy666 I am available 4-9 on the weekdays and I'm in the eastern time zone[/QUOTE]

You're welcome to take the Leafs. You just need to keep up with this thread and make sure you're easy to get in touch with. I'd recommend bookmarking this thread to make it easier on you. Having said all that, welcome aboard!

[quote name='HomelessGamer']Oh and Doug Gilmore, Jari Kurri and Domink Hasek are in the game. I played the full game at Fan Expo 2012[/QUOTE]

Oh yes! Hasek is one of the legends? That is freaking awesome! He's the reason I became a fan of hockey.

[quote name='HomelessGamer']Oh and Doug Gilmore, Jari Kurri and Domink Hasek are in the game. I played the full game at Fan Expo 2012[/QUOTE]

Hasek's in the game?!?! No fucking shit!!! My favorite hockey player of all-time. He's in the top 3 best goalies ever if u ask me. Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek. If only those Buffalo teams were better and he played more years in the NHL...

[quote name='Twick87']Hasek's in the game?!?! No fucking shit!!! My favorite hockey player of all-time. He's in the top 3 best goalies ever if u ask me. Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek. If only those Buffalo teams were better and he played more years in the NHL...[/QUOTE]

If only they called Brett Hull in the crease, cause he was.

Throwing a trade proposal out there already for the Blackhawks owner:

Blackhawks:
M. Hossa
C. Crawford

for

Canucks:
R. Kesler
R. Luongo

[quote name='VipFREAK']Can't wait for this game, demo was good.

You guys ready for the upcoming lockout season too... ?![/QUOTE]

Well, I'm praying for a miracle because in an effort to surprise me for my birthday, my amazing wife, who's never been to a hockey game and was completely unaware of the potential work stoppage, bought us tickets for the Predators vs Hurricanes game on 9/29. Obviously, the tickets are refundable, but it would have been a great way to really introduce her (not to mention our 9 month old daughter) to such a great sport. I feel like my chances are about 2%, considering even if a deal gets hammered out quickly, there's a good chance the pre-season could be altered anyway. It would be incredibly foolish for the NHL to risk too much of the season though.

Nice, that sucks. Yeah... I can't believe they are stupid enough to risk all that they've worked for since the last lock out just because they're squandering over a little money...

I really hope they do get something done. I was wanting to pick up tickets to the home opener but I'm holding off now. I really hope the only hockey I get this season isn't from NHL 13.

Woo getting slim pickings, I'm in for the Wild I guess. Gamer tag is Canbanana in CST and very flexible schedule. I have the game ordered through Toys R Us so I may be a few days late to the party.

Concerning the lockout, the owners are being really stupid. Another season lost would be very damaging to the sport.

If you look deeper into it, it's actually more about owners vs owners than owners vs players but the result, unfortunately, will still be the same.

bread's done
Back